A State Funeral for Margaret Thatcher?

A forum created specifically for polls.
spot

Post by spot »

Denials have come from Government this week that an agreement has been made to give a State Funeral to Margaret Thatcher, the UK's Prime Minister from 1979 to 1990. Usually a monarch and occasionally his wife receives a State Funeral.

There were five non-Royal State Funerals in the 19th century and three in the 20th. Nelson, Wellington and Roberts from the military; Churchill, Gladstone and Palmerston as politicians; the leader of the Ulster Unionists who kept Northern Ireland British; and Charles Darwin, the country's most influential scientist. Disraeli, the ninth, refused one. Neither The Queen Mother nor Princess Diana, for example, were given one.

Does Margaret Thatcher belong in that company?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

spot;939239 wrote: Denials have come from Government this week that an agreement has been made to give a State Funeral to Margaret Thatcher, the UK's Prime Minister from 1979 to 1990. Usually a monarch and occasionally his wife receives a State Funeral.

There were five non-Royal State Funerals in the 19th century and three in the 20th. Nelson, Wellington and Roberts from the military, Churchill, Gladsone and Palmerston as politicians, the leader of the Ulster Unionists who kept Northern Ireland British and Charles Darwin, the country's most influential scientist. Disraeli, the ninth, refused one. Neither The Queen Mother nor Princess Diana, for example, were given one.

Does Margaret Thatcher belong in that company?No but I do:rolleyes::cool::D
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
spot

Post by spot »

Carolly;939242 wrote: No but I do:rolleyes::cool::D

The Pearly King will be out for yours, I guarantee it.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

spot;939245 wrote: The Pearly King will be out for yours, I guarantee it.
Chris has a picture taken with him:D........on a more serious note.....what do you think..........should she have one?
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

If it wasn't "good enough" for Diana..NO
spot

Post by spot »

Carolly;939249 wrote: on a more serious note.....what do you think..........should she have one?I hesitate to express an opinion, me not being one to upset people.
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

spot;939251 wrote: I hesitate to express an opinion, me not being one to upset people.
Really???:-2:-3Spot......do you feel ok.....better get a doctor:driving:;)
Chezzie

Post by Chezzie »

spot;939251 wrote: I hesitate to express an opinion, me not being one to upset people.

can I use that as my new sig line:D
spot

Post by spot »

Chezzie;939258 wrote: can I use that as my new sig line:D

You're both brutes and I'm taking my ball home with me now.
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Disraeli refused one, that is intersting to know. He is one prime minister we discussed quite often in school, and I found to be so intriquing. Yes, we did have British history majors in my grad classes too.............
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

Seriously though....my goodness the hypocrisy....they forced her out fgs now they want this......
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I didn't even realize she died. Oh, yeah, Carolly and that's why you call me daft?:wah:
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

qsducks;939445 wrote: I didn't even realize she died. Oh, yeah, Carolly and that's why you call me daft?:wah::rolleyes:She aint dead:wah:sorry shouldn't laugh but cant help it:D;)
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I don't watch the news, too depressing.:wah:
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

qsducks;939453 wrote: I don't watch the news, too depressing.:wah:There talking about WHEN she dies.......my mother in law is buried in the garden with all the cats and dogs..........well her ashes are...she was in my summerhouse for ages......gawd I sound like a mass killer:-3.....anyway back to the topic......:driving:
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;939239 wrote: Denials have come from Government this week that an agreement has been made to give a State Funeral to Margaret Thatcher, the UK's Prime Minister from 1979 to 1990. Usually a monarch and occasionally his wife receives a State Funeral.

There were five non-Royal State Funerals in the 19th century and three in the 20th. Nelson, Wellington and Roberts from the military; Churchill, Gladstone and Palmerston as politicians; the leader of the Ulster Unionists who kept Northern Ireland British; and Charles Darwin, the country's most influential scientist. Disraeli, the ninth, refused one. Neither The Queen Mother nor Princess Diana, for example, were given one.

Certainly not ! She wangled the Faulklands war, because her popularity was waning. Feeling confident that with the Brits. winning, she would be classed as a heroine to all the Brits. who were conned by this action. She had plenty of warning of activity in Argentina and could very successfully deployed a couple of naval men-of-war to pay a 'courtesy visit' to the Faulklands, thus stopping any shannanigans before they started!

The only good to come out of that war was that the 'moth-balling' and eventual destruction of our aircraft carriers was halted. We still have these brilliant craft available, thank goodness.
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
gmc

Post by gmc »

Maggie never let upsetting people get in her way why should you be worried?

NO! NO! NO! No! No! No! No! At least she had enough character you could detest her.
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

She can have any kind of funeral she likes as long as it takes place NOW.

They (whoever "they" are) can celebrate her "life". I know a lot of people who will be celebrating her death. Me included.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
hoxtonchris

Post by hoxtonchris »

dont care what they do with her as long as they leave her bum poking out of the hole so i can park my bike tween the cheeks of her a#'se
suzy_creamcheese

Post by suzy_creamcheese »

as long as they can bury her alive
Carolly

Post by Carolly »

Mags is not very popular is she:-2:rolleyes:
spot

Post by spot »

Carolly;939699 wrote: Mags is not very popular is she:-2:rolleyes:

You excel at understatement, it's a neat trick. I'm more likely to say the wretched creature's grave will overflow with urine for the next hundred years to such an extent they'll have to install drainage. They'll need at least six foot of concrete over her just to stop enthusiasts putting a stake through her chest every Christmas and even then it'll have to be the sort of concrete you can't drill through. She damaged the lives of too many people to be anything but a detested hate figure. Saddam Hussein was a beginner when it comes to being loathed on the scale she's achieved. My command of understatement needs working on.
theia

Post by theia »

I don't think Margaret Thatcher should have a State Funeral. In my opinion that would be a waste of money.

I don't love or loathe the woman but I don't feel inclined to insult her.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
spot

Post by spot »

theia;939712 wrote: I don't love or loathe the woman but I don't feel inclined to insult her."Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope". She actually said those words and look at what she created afterwards. Discord, error, doubt and despair for eleven endless years. She can go any time she likes but she'll not get buried without one last picket line sticking the finger at her.
theia

Post by theia »

spot;939725 wrote: "Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope". She actually said those words and look at what she created afterwards. Discord, error, doubt and despair for eleven endless years. She can go any time she likes but she'll not get buried without one last picket line sticking the finger at her.

You're probably right, Spot...
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
hoxtonchris

Post by hoxtonchris »

i must say im pleasantly surprised to see the level of feeling towards the old girl is the same as ive felt for many years,i thought i was the only one who had a genuine loathing for the old bat.its tempting to go into multitudes of reasons why ,i will restrict my self to one.she was often credited with cutting out waste in the nhs.she did maybe,,but what was her idea of waste?my dad went into a coma in his late 60s,the doc phoned an ambulance,he then left my dad uncontious in a chair,i called the ambulance centre asking where it was ,the reply was astonishing!the docs puts a 90minute delay on the over60s!i asked if he would repeat that in a court of law no sorry i cant he said,the government have issued the directive.that was in 1985.my dad died.thank you maggie ,i look forward to having somewhere to park my bike
mrsK

Post by mrsK »

hoxtonchris;939734 wrote: i must say im pleasantly surprised to see the level of feeling towards the old girl is the same as ive felt for many years,i thought i was the only one who had a genuine loathing for the old bat.its tempting to go into multitudes of reasons why ,i will restrict my self to one.she was often credited with cutting out waste in the nhs.she did maybe,,but what was her idea of waste?my dad went into a coma in his late 60s,the doc phoned an ambulance,he then left my dad uncontious in a chair,i called the ambulance centre asking where it was ,the reply was astonishing!the docs puts a 90minute delay on the over60s!i asked if he would repeat that in a court of law no sorry i cant he said,the government have issued the directive.that was in 1985.my dad died.thank you maggie ,i look forward to having somewhere to park my bike

Sorry to read about your Dad Chris,:-4that is an eyeopener.

I must check here & see what the attitude is.

I am sure it isn't like that,I would be bloody cranky if it was.

That is so wrong:mad::mad:
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
theia

Post by theia »

hoxtonchris;939734 wrote: i must say im pleasantly surprised to see the level of feeling towards the old girl is the same as ive felt for many years,i thought i was the only one who had a genuine loathing for the old bat.its tempting to go into multitudes of reasons why ,i will restrict my self to one.she was often credited with cutting out waste in the nhs.she did maybe,,but what was her idea of waste?my dad went into a coma in his late 60s,the doc phoned an ambulance,he then left my dad uncontious in a chair,i called the ambulance centre asking where it was ,the reply was astonishing!the docs puts a 90minute delay on the over60s!i asked if he would repeat that in a court of law no sorry i cant he said,the government have issued the directive.that was in 1985.my dad died.thank you maggie ,i look forward to having somewhere to park my bike

I can imagine feeling very much the same as you, Chris, had I experienced a similar trauma with a loved one.
gmc

Post by gmc »

So who voted yes? They seem to want to anonymous. Don't mind if you wish to stay that way but you could at least have the courage of your convictions and argue your case. It would make for an entertaining discussion.
spot

Post by spot »

Isn't it odd that anyone should feel ashamedly guilty of admiring Margaret Thatcher enough to support her getting a State Funeral. I take it as an indication of how poisonous she was to the average citizen of the UK.
theia

Post by theia »

I can't see names with the votes...how do I do that?
spot

Post by spot »

You say please spot, next time you put up a poll can you select "show names" instead of "anonymous".
theia

Post by theia »

spot;940482 wrote: You say please spot, next time you put up a poll can you select "show names" instead of "anonymous".

Please spot, next time you put up a poll can you select "show names" instead of "anonymous."
spot

Post by spot »

theia;940489 wrote: Please spot, next time you put up a poll can you select "show names" instead of "anonymous."

Your slightest wish is my command.
theia

Post by theia »

spot;940491 wrote: Your slightest wish is my command.

I love you
spot

Post by spot »

theia;940493 wrote: I love you

Put the coffee on!
theia

Post by theia »

spot;940496 wrote: Put the coffee on!

Will do...would you wish to partake in a caramelised biscuit too, from Sainsbury?
Chookie

Post by Chookie »

There is a petition on this very subject. I don't know why, but there is....

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/thatchfuneral/

I am looking forward to the massive street party when she eventually falls of her perch (if she hasn't already been replaced by a clockwork Dalek). It will be memorable..........
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
spot

Post by spot »

theia;940505 wrote: Will do...would you wish to partake in a caramelised biscuit too, from Sainsbury?

God you're sophisticated, there's not many could show you tricks.
spot

Post by spot »

Chookie;940513 wrote: I am looking forward to the massive street party when she eventually falls of her perch (if she hasn't already been replaced by a clockwork Dalek). It will be memorable..........Here's a glimpse of what people thought of her back then:"There are no happy glossy futures in 2000AD. If you look on the back of the very first Judge Dredd prog [issue] there is a wonderful view of Mega City One and there are all these spy cameras everywhere. It shows in some area the present has caught up with it."

Alan Grant, a long-term writer for both Judge Dredd and Batman, said that the comic was shaped by the cauldron of politics in Thatcherite Britain. "Many of the stories we wrote were taken from the headlines of the newspapers. We just put a futuristic spin on them. There were genuine social problems, particularly from the Thatcher days. It was obvious to us that Britain and the whole world was turning into a right-wing society. We were trying to have a laugh rather than make people shiver. I sometimes feel guilty about presenting fascism as entertainment."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/6390731.stm

Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

No.
gmc

Post by gmc »

remember this?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/date ... 530763.stm

took another seven years to get rid of them. She wasn't all bad it's just the bad far outweighed the good IMO. I think i detest new labour even more or should that be the tory clones.
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

I think the options were a bit too personal for my liking, but my answer is no...

On the the grounds I feel state funerals are unnecessary as the money used in doing so could go to peoples to whom could use it more fittingly...
spot

Post by spot »

K.Snyder;940842 wrote: On the the grounds I feel state funerals are unnecessary as the money used in doing so could go to peoples to whom could use it more fittingly...

The difference between a State Funeral and a ceremonial funeral, which is the alternative, is that the coffin is drawn by Royal Navy sailors instead of horses. We're discussing the honour, there's no difference in the price.
gmc

Post by gmc »

spot;940844 wrote: The difference between a State Funeral and a ceremonial funeral, which is the alternative, is that the coffin is drawn by Royal Navy sailors instead of horses. We're discussing the honour, there's no difference in the price.

Not just that, a state funeral suggests she has done something remarkable for the nation. Who voted yes? come out of hiding.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Jester;941349 wrote: I would vote for 'yes', but I dont see that option on the poll.:-3

The last option - defo being definitely.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

JAB;941414 wrote: I voted 'deffo' cuz I liked the word. :p

Seriously though, I likened it to when a US President dies. He is entitled to a State funeral because of the office he held not whether or not you cared for his politics. Of course the family has the right to decline but the option still remains. I don't know enough about Thatcher's politics to answer whether her decisions earned her the right.

That's OK if all other ex Prime Ministers had state funerals but we don't do that here.

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”