War Coffins

A forum created specifically for polls.
Nomad

War Coffins

Post by Nomad »

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- The Pentagon will lift its ban on media coverage of the flag-draped coffins of war victims arriving at Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Thursday.

Military vehicles carry coffins containing U.S. troops in this photo the Pentagon released in 2005.

But the families of the victims will have the final say on whether to allow the coverage, he said.

President Obama asked Gates to review the policy, and Gates said he decided after consulting with the armed services and groups representing military families to apply the same policy that is used at Arlington National Cemetery.

"I have decided that the decision regarding media coverage of the dignified transfer process at Dover should be made by those most directly affected -- the families," he said at a news conference. Watch Gates announce reversal »

Gates said he had formed a group to create an implementation plan for the new policy.

Not long after Gates' announcement, the political action committee VoteVets.org issued a written statement saying it is "fully supportive" of the decision. Watch what led to a media ban on photos of the caskets »

Advocates of opening the base to coverage point out that the unmarked coffins make it impossible to identify specific remains.

A statement from the National Military Family Association said it "appreciates the sensitivity" of the secretary "and his recognition that individual families must play a part" in any decision about media coverage.

"We look forward to the recommendations of the working group on the implementation of this policy," the group said.

Not everyone had a positive reaction.

"Military Families United is disappointed in the president's decision to overturn the ban that has been in place for over 18 years," the group said in a release.

"Just last week, Families United released the results of a survey conducted among military families, which found that more than 64 percent ... believe that this ban should not be overturned. It is evident that military families were not consulted nor their wishes honored when the decision was made.

"This is a complete disregard for the will of America's military families and their need for privacy during this solemn moment," the release said.

After the Iraq War began, critics of the George W. Bush administration accused it of disallowing photographs and filming to de-emphasize the number of casualties from what many considered an unpopular war.

Although the Defense Department won't confirm it, it is widely accepted that the idea for the ban began after the December 1989 U.S. invasion of Panama, when the United States deposed dictator Manuel Noriega.

After a news conference held by President George H.W. Bush, his press secretary made a humorous remark, which caused the president and reporters to laugh.

At the same time, viewers were watching coffins of the first casualties from the invasion being unloaded at Dover.

The following year, when the Persian Gulf War began, the Pentagon banned media coverage of war dead being returned to the base.

One of the family members who favors lifting the ban is Karen Meredith of San Francisco, California, who wrote Obama urging him to order the change.

Lt. Ken Ballard left for Iraq on Mother's Day 2003. He came home in a casket on Memorial Day 2004.

"I wanted the nation to grieve with me, and if we don't see those images we don't know that these young men and women are dying," she said.

"And to me it's an honor to have an honor guard at Dover when they're bringing these men and women back through the mortuary. But we've never been able to see those pictures of the honor being given."

Others say the honor should remain private.

"When they come off the plane these are anonymous caskets. What is the greater good of that?" asked Vince Rangel, who was an Army Ranger captain in Vietnam.

"I would rather take that attention and give it everything it deserves at the grave site in the communities where you can get all that information, so people can understand these people as human beings. Not just as a flag-draped casket that comes out of a plane."

Pentagon spokesman Geoff Morrell said about two weeks ago that a good deal of input needed to be collected from a number of sources, including Pentagon offices representing family interests, the Defense Department's public affairs office and the various service branches.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Accountable

War Coffins

Post by Accountable »

"I have decided that the decision regarding media coverage of the dignified transfer process at Dover should be made by those most directly affected -- the families,"

I couldn't agree more, but how to ensure that this is done? Rather than allowing coverage unless families say no, coverage should be prohibited unless families give permission.
Kindle

War Coffins

Post by Kindle »

This is the program 'they' (the govt) is now pushing on this and other things. You are in unless you opt out. Kind of gives them a free reign to do what they want, doesn't it?

After it is done, you may say you opted out, but they will say they didn't find the opt out papers and geez, they are sorry..........................

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
sunny104

War Coffins

Post by sunny104 »

"Military Families United is disappointed in the president's decision to overturn the ban that has been in place for over 18 years," the group said in a release.

"Just last week, Families United released the results of a survey conducted among military families, which found that more than 64 percent ... believe that this ban should not be overturned. It is evident that military families were not consulted nor their wishes honored when the decision was made.

"This is a complete disregard for the will of America's military families and their need for privacy during this solemn moment," the release said.

After the Iraq War began, critics of the George W. Bush administration accused it of disallowing photographs and filming to de-emphasize the number of casualties from what many considered an unpopular war.

Although the Defense Department won't confirm it, it is widely accepted that the idea for the ban began after the December 1989 U.S. invasion of Panama, when the United States deposed dictator Manuel Noriega.

:yh_think hmmm.....I think it should be up to the families.
Nomad

War Coffins

Post by Nomad »

In the past they always showed war coffins. I believe Bush wanted to minimize the impact of the public seeing the casualties so he imposed a ban on the practice. I believe the practice was halted because it fits in with the Bush/Cheney MO of secrecy and cowardice.

Previously witnessing flag draped coffins coming home was a reverant and sobering event that had a deep impact on the shocking reality of war.

To my knowledge as coffins were removed from the planes and rolled across the tarmac no names were announced. I could be wrong on that but it was a privelege to honor the soldiers as they were brought home. It gave us a tangible to show respect.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Daniyal

War Coffins

Post by Daniyal »

Meanwhile, Defense Secretary Robert Gates has ordered a review of the Pentagon policy banning media from taking pictures of flag-draped coffins of military dead. The military has said the policy is meant to protect the privacy of the families of the dead soldiers, but critics say barring photographers is a political maneuver meant to sanitize the war.

Democracy Now.org
Never Argue With An Idiot. They Drag You Down To Their Level Then Beat You With Experience.

When An Elder Passes On To Higher Life , Its Like One Of The Library Have Shut Down

To Desire Security Is A Sign Of Insecurity .

It's Not The Things One Knows That Get Him Or Her In Trouble , Its The Things One Knows That Just Isn't So That Get Them In Trouble

When you can control a man's thinking you don't have to worry about his action ...:driving:
Lon

War Coffins

Post by Lon »

Without disclosing the names of the deceased each casket looks the same and their is privacy. Showing the caskets brings home the true cost of this war better than just publishing weekly deaths in print. People that don.t read the press can

at least be informed via images. Let's not stick our heads in the sand. SHOW THE CASKETS.
Lon

War Coffins

Post by Lon »

Jester;1147328 wrote: I for one do not want my coffin whether I can be identified or not trapsed in front of a photographer, I do not want my body used for proaganda either pro war or against war. It's just wrong either way in my opinion. It's not the families option either, its the soldiers option.

The solier should designate on his benificiary statement how he wants his body handled, either open to all or secluded only to family, then each body that is returned can be either handled in a plain wrapper or in a open procession.

I bet 99% of the Army would choose total privacy.

The policy of not allowing the press to observe what is a solemn and private cerimony is an excellent one, and I happen to be extremely pissed off that Obama and the rest of his idiot non military advisors are so out of touch with the soldiers that they might as well just send drones over, and let our boys come home. :mad::mad::mad:

Individual soldiers have no say in the matter and shouldn't. Their souls perhaps go to heaven, but their bodies are still Uncle Sam's.

Planes coming in and unloading caskets draped in the flag is hardly a ceremony.

Burial at the cemetery is a ceremony and photographers should be barred from that function the same as anyone's.

I don't think that photographing these caskets coming off the plane is propaganda. For some people, it's the only way they will know that we are in a war and more importantly that this war has a cost not only in $$$$, but in lives.

That's not propaganda mate, that's fact.
Lon

War Coffins

Post by Lon »

Jester;1147380 wrote: Lon, it is a ceremony from start to finish, Ive acompanied my friends bodies out of different warzones. Ive hand delivered them to thier families, and Id beat the living out of anyone who tried to photograph the coffin. I dont care about anybodies reason why they want to photogprah or report on it, it's a solumn private matter that belongs to the soldier while hes alive for his wishes after hes dead. Nobody elses.

I still beg to differ about it being a legitimate ceremony. The ceremony that you refer to is really new and is not mean't to replace the Burial Ceremony that can take place at many of the National Cemetery's or at private ceremonies wherein a squad will fire off a salute and taps are played. I have attended and participated in over 200 such military burials, the last and final one for all deceased military.

Photo shots of draped caskets one after the other coming off a plane is not a ceremony, it's a circus. Individual shots of a singular casket and family is a different matter. One is private, the other public.
Lon

War Coffins

Post by Lon »

Jester;1147410 wrote: Lon I know were not going to agree on this one too. I if my son is ever killed in action and somene snaps his photo, I'll kill them for it.

I understand and agree to a point, but you are functioning out of emotion and not logic, which is your right.
Nomad

War Coffins

Post by Nomad »

Jester;1147328 wrote: I for one do not want my coffin whether I can be identified or not trapsed in front of a photographer, I do not want my body used for proaganda

Your mind and body are already being used for propaganda. :wah:

And where do you come up with your statistics ?

I bet 99% of the Army would choose total privacy.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Lon

War Coffins

Post by Lon »

Jester;1147432 wrote: From my own experiences, line units are that way, very few will let the ***** antiwar groups **** on a dead soldier.

OK----let's be clear now. Are you saying that ANY photos of returning dead from a war, be they in caskets or body bags is propaganda? AND ----- Do you feel that photos of armless, legless veterans in VA Hospitals is propaganda and that they should not be photographed?
Nomad

War Coffins

Post by Nomad »

Jester;1147432 wrote: From my own experiences, line units are that way, very few will let the ***** antiwar groups **** on a dead soldier.

I cant speak from that perspective but to me I was always filled pride and honor to witness the greatest sacrifice of young men and women for high ideals. I considered it the nations duty to mourn as one.

You sure are a crank ass lately.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

War Coffins

Post by Nomad »

Jester;1147443 wrote: yeah, I know it, things are really fryin me off these days, guess I'm getting old, and meaner.

Yea you are. Youre like that crotchety old fart that lives in the the creepy house on the corner.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

War Coffins

Post by Nomad »

Jester;1147456 wrote: With a bad comb over- yes thats me.

Well I guess a bad comb over would make anyone bitter.
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”