Poll For British members....... Do you trust the British police?

A forum created specifically for polls.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

I have split the poll into two here so we can see the difference between the US, Commonwealth countries and Britain.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Bill Sikes

Post by Bill Sikes »

I have voted "No" in this matter.

Is this a "public" poll, i.e. it can be seen who voted for what? If not, it should be, hence this post.
Oscar Namechange

Bill Sikes;1224517 wrote: I have voted "No" in this matter.

Is this a "public" poll, i.e. it can be seen who voted for what? If not, it should be, hence this post.
Your right Bill and i'm sure if anyone googles 'Trusting the police', it will come up on the web for all to see.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

I voted yes, because I still trust the police in general. However, I am aware there are bad police officers and do not trust every policeman/woman automatically.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Oscar Namechange

Clodhopper;1224522 wrote: I voted yes, because I still trust the police in general. However, I am aware there are bad police officers and do not trust every policeman/woman automatically. I feel the same.
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

you know your poll answers ,, you have yes, no, not sure,,, surely if you are not sure then the naswer is no:yh_rotfl

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

kazalala;1224537 wrote: you know your poll answers ,, you have yes, no, not sure,,, surely if you are not sure then the naswer is no:yh_rotfl Sorry kaz... I nicked the sequence off a Gordon Brown poll :wah:
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

oscar;1224547 wrote: Sorry kaz... I nicked the sequence off a Gordon Brown poll :wah:

i might have known:rolleyes:

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

kazalala;1224548 wrote: i might have known:rolleyes: :wah:

It was......... Do you trust GB to run the country :wah:
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

oscar;1224552 wrote: :wah:

It was......... Do you trust GB to run the country :wah:

no silly:rolleyes:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

kazalala;1224555 wrote: no silly:rolleyes: I said yes :yh_rotfl
kazalala

Post by kazalala »

oscar;1224557 wrote: I said yes :yh_rotfl

ahhh so you're the One eh:lips::wah:

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Oscar Namechange

kazalala;1224564 wrote: ahhh so you're the One eh:lips::wah: I was the 1% :wah:
gmc

Post by gmc »

Most of them are OK though you get the odd one or occasionally a culture where they will fabricate evidence-it was prevalent in some areas in the seventies and eighties. Scotland was one of the first areas to tape police interviews and that goes a long way to help things. Even the police realise it helps them as they can't be accused of forcing confessions after the event.

More to the point I trust the system. It's not the police who decide guilt or innocence and those who think we should have have speedy trials and draconian punishments for riff raff when they are obviously guilty need their heads examined. Most of our civil rights came in to being to curb the power of those in authority. New labour have tried to centralise control of the police and over manage them.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1224593 wrote: Most of them are OK though you get the odd one or occasionally a culture where they will fabricate evidence-it was prevalent in some areas in the seventies and eighties. Scotland was one of the first areas to tape police interviews and that goes a long way to help things. Even the police realise it helps them as they can't be accused of forcing confessions after the event.

More to the point I trust the system. It's not the police who decide guilt or innocence and those who think we should have have speedy trials and draconian punishments for riff raff when they are obviously guilty need their heads examined. Most of our civil rights came in to being to curb the power of those in authority. New labour have tried to centralise control of the police and over manage them.
So we have the Scots to thank for Interview under caution on tape with a spare being available to the defence? :wah:

I must say that i am slightly surprised at the poll results so far. :thinking:
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1224683 wrote: So we have the Scots to thank for Interview under caution on tape with a spare being available to the defence? :wah:

I must say that I am slightly surprised at the poll results so far. :thinking:

didn't bother voting. On the whole I do trust them and I know a couple and don't envy them their job. On the other hand I've met a few arrogant bastards as well but I suppose if you spend all your time dealing with aggressive members of the public you get so you don't want to take any chances.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1225762 wrote: didn't bother voting. On the whole I do trust them and I know a couple and don't envy them their job. On the other hand I've met a few arrogant bastards as well but I suppose if you spend all your time dealing with aggressive members of the public you get so you don't want to take any chances. There are some progs on Sky I some-times watch late at night before i go to bed of Police on camera and I agree with you that the way some of the public are with them is awful. You usually find that the arrogant bastards are usually new officers who think they have some-thing to prove or want to impress the boys back at the nick. They usually find it doesn't get them any where in the end. Do you think there is a difference in Scottish police to police in England?
gmc

Post by gmc »

oscar;1225778 wrote: There are some progs on Sky I some-times watch late at night before i go to bed of Police on camera and I agree with you that the way some of the public are with them is awful. You usually find that the arrogant bastards are usually new officers who think they have some-thing to prove or want to impress the boys back at the nick. They usually find it doesn't get them any where in the end. Do you think there is a difference in Scottish police to police in England?

I don't know. Don't see why there would be. As a former retail manager both up here and in london I used to have regular dealing with the police-shoplifters and the like so it was all business as it were. On the other hand on one occasion in london with my wife I went up to two policemen (one black the other white as it happens) and asked for direction as we'd got lost. They paused their conversation, turned looked at me and then turned away completely ignoring me-not even the common courtesy of an answer. I'd heard stories of the met and their attitude and it was the first time I'd come across that kind of arrogance. I was a law abiding citizen but my wife persuaded me it was best just to walk away and say nothing else. I didn't see why I shouldn't expect civility from anyone least of all someone in public service I was paying for but I dare say if I had taken them to task for their rudeness I would have had a problem. My wife is a teacher, on one occasion one of her colleagues was at a bus stop with a group of her pupils when the police drew up and started demanding to know what they were all doing. waiting for a bus as a reply got the kind of response you'd expect and took the intervention of the white teacher to prevent her pupils being arrested-this was at the height of the suss laws in england. One of my black colleagues got arrested after his car was broadsided at a roundabout by a speeding car that didn't stop. He was driving a 3 litre ford capri (yes it was the eighties) so they assumed he'd stolen it. Meanwhile the driver of the car that hit him buggered off cos he had stolen his. If I hadn't known the persons concerned I would have assumed both incidents were just urban myths.

Like I say I've met some I have all the time in the world for and others that probably shouldn't be in the job. But you never know what has happened to make them like that- they could have been scraping someone off the road the day before or a colleague knifed by someone that just walked up to them. So I prefer not to make sweeping judgements.

You are inconsistent. In some posts you slag off the police yet in other you want to give them more draconian powers. It's fine balancing act we need to constantly adjust -the police are there to uphold the law not enforce it. Our police are unarmed because at the time the met were created Britain WAS a police state where you could be arrested and sent to jail for the most trivial of things with little an ordinary punter could do about it. It was regarded as crucial that any new police force not be seen as another means of oppression by the state. We actually have a very long tradition of riots and uprisings by ordinary people the monarchy and establishment had reason to be afraid of the people. The idea was not to have a them and us type of policing but one where the general public could be persuaded to back the police and on the whole it's been quite successful in doing that. The main purpose of our laws when you look at how they came in to being was not just to stop crime it was also to curb the power of those in authority to just throw people in jail or make them disappear because they wanted to or for speaking out about injustice. The first thing any dictator does be it hitler, stalin, saddam Hussein, the Taliban musharif take your pick is take away the right to a fair trial and freedom from arbitrary arrest. Actually if you look at the taliban or other countries where religious law holds sway you see what happens when one man or a group of people get to decide what is just and what is the way things should be. We don't have the divine right of kings any more or religious courts and no one here would seriously support it but just look at how we got to that point.

The police are an instrument of justice and the law not the law itself. That's what I meant when I said a trust a system of checks and balances however flawed it might be rather than the components of it. But you need to tinker all the time and be ready to admit some things don't work.

The media have always liked stories of how the fabric of society was falling apart

BBC ON THIS DAY | 18 | 1964: Mods and Rockers jailed after seaside riots

Then came the hippies and peace and love meant the end of things as well and no one had any respect for authority any more. The more things change the more they stay the same.
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1226063 wrote: You are inconsistent. In some posts you slag off the police yet in other you want to give them more draconian powers. .
Then let me clarify my Inconsistency. I have members of family who are police and due to them I know how police proceedure is abused in order to bring about a conviction or charge. I have also met local officers who have had many off the record conversations with us as to what goes on behind the scenes also. In any Institute there is corruption. If not, we would be living in La La Land with no mis-carraiges of justice. My suspicion of some police officers is not due to my personal experience but of decades of mis-carraiges of justice and cover up's as in The De Menezes case.

Police are like any other proffession be them fire-fighters, nurses or MP's. There are one's who are a credit to the country and worthy of praise and there are one's who are rotton to the core. Some demand respect because they wear a uniform. Respect is earnt as in any job. Some police officers live in the past and believe the public have an awe for them when the truth is, those days are long gone. Some officers are surprised by this and can not understand why the country does not worship the ground they walk on as they think they should. All police officers are people the same as any-one else and it is individual Ideals and personalities that determine weather they are an arsse-hole or not. As you have written of your experiences, you will know that many officers need to go on people training courses. they have not a clue how to address the public yet demand this instant respect them-selves.

I myself understand that our force is in a difficult situation being under-manned and under-funded. That does not excuse the arsse-holes.

My solution would be to remove Government text book targets and invest into the police to put more officers on the streets for crime prevention and not coming in when it's all to late for a quick arrest and a notch down the nick. The police I do respect are those that I know to have Invested their time in crime prevention and arbitration. That is what cuts crime figures, not waiting for an accident to happen and then trying to take praise for an arrest.

Take 'Blunkett's' army of usless PCSO's and put them through police academy. the one's that don't shape up.... boot them out. the one's that prove them-selves, promote them into the force. too much tax payers money is wasted on them so the money may as well be used to train them as fully fledged police officers and boost the numbers on our streets.
fuzzywuzzy

Post by fuzzywuzzy »

I'm wondering is it the British police persae or Policies and government interference in the police force?

We just had a poll here and peoples level of confidence in police is at an all time high but it goes down when asked about the justice system. Interesting .
Oscar Namechange

fuzzywuzzy;1226588 wrote: I'm wondering is it the British police persae or Policies and government interference in the police force?

We just had a poll here and peoples level of confidence in police is at an all time high but it goes down when asked about the justice system. Interesting .
There was a day where the local bobby was admired and respected by the whole community. We just don't have the bobby on the beat to the level we did in the 60's.

I think some of the bad attitude toward the police here is that even if you have never had a bad experience with the police, we have had a few decades of horrendous mis-carraiges of justice and corruption even at the highest level that are reported daily in the press. People are reading about rotton cops every day in the newspapers all over the country because the press are far more free to report than before.

The Introduction of the IPCC and the Police Standards Department has meant that any complaint against the police is investigated. Today, both are heavilly advertised in the country and people are just more aware today that they can complain and it will be taken seriousley even though some-times the action taken against a rotton cop is dissapointing. As the press have always been free to report on a defendant's arrest and trial, they are now also free to report on findings from the IPCC and give details. Most days in the press over the country there will be an article in a newspaper about an officer being caught out by the IPCC. It's Ironic because for decades the press has reported on defendants and trials with police even giving imfo to the press, yet are horrified that the findings of the IPCC on an officer can also be reported in full now including naming the officer. This will give you an Idea of figures of complaints in this country:

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/complaints_report_2007-08.pdf

It's fair to say that not all complaints are founded or up-held but there is a huge amount that are and it is this that adds to the mis-trust the public have in the British Police. I woul be very interested in the stats for US and Commonwealth countries as I'm sure the complaints would be far less and why the country has more faith in their police than we do.
gmc

Post by gmc »

posted by oscar

My solution would be to remove Government text book targets and invest into the police to put more officers on the streets for crime prevention and not coming in when it's all to late for a quick arrest and a notch down the nick. The police I do respect are those that I know to have Invested their time in crime prevention and arbitration. That is what cuts crime figures, not waiting for an accident to happen and then trying to take praise for an arrest.

New labour's obsession with micro managing has a lot to answer for. Might be a need for more cooperation amongst the various forces but can you imagine having it all centralised? It would take away any ability for local forces to deal with their own problems. Same with the sentencing guidelines the introduced and then criticise judges or being too lenient when in fact they have restricted the sentence that can be applied.

Same with things like education and the NHS targets are fine to measure how things are going but the target becomes the goal of the organisation to the detriment of it's real purpose.

It's fair to say that not all complaints are founded or up-held but there is a huge amount that are and it is this that adds to the mis-trust the public have in the British Police. I woul be very interested in the stats for US and Commonwealth countries as I'm sure the complaints would be far less and why the country has more faith in their police than we do.

Course papers like the daily mail like to whip up a good bit of hysteria don't they.

This is festival season, hundreds and thousands of people congregating and very little trouble, thousand do volunteer work and care more for their fellow man than they have ever done in the past, as always the big cities are where crime is at it's worse and if you have gangs running wild it's horrendous. Everywhere there are policemen doing a good job often with little thanks but if all you read is the daily mail and it's sister papers then the world is coming to an end, society is irretrievably breaking down and our police are a bunch of racist, power mad mindless thugs
Oscar Namechange

gmc;1226650 wrote: posted by oscar

Course papers like the daily mail like to whip up a good bit of hysteria don't they.

This is festival season, hundreds and thousands of people congregating and very little trouble, thousand do volunteer work and care more for their fellow man than they have ever done in the past, as always the big cities are where crime is at it's worse and if you have gangs running wild it's horrendous. Everywhere there are policemen doing a good job often with little thanks but if all you read is the daily mail and it's sister papers then the world is coming to an end, society is irretrievably breaking down and our police are a bunch of racist, power mad mindless thugs Years ago I did think that of the Daily Mail until one particular coverage. So speaking about the Daily Mail from personal experience, let me tell you that rarely do some hacks write the article themselves. Mostly, they scour local papers on the net and steal good storie's. I have seen stories regarding the police that are the exact same article and pics that has appeared in a local rag. In cases where a trial may follow after the initial report, the Mail will then send it's own hack to the trial to write first hand but in the first instance, the headline has appeared some-where else in the country. So I dis-agree with you strongly there on articles about arrests and trials and the police.

The Mail on government is another matter.

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”