Ethics

A forum created specifically for polls.
Nomad

Ethics

Post by Nomad »

Business Ethics

Sally started her consulting business a year ago and has been doing very well. About a month ago, she decided she needed to hire someone to help her since she was getting busier and busier. After interviewing several candidates, she decided to hire the best one of the group, Mary. She called Mary on Monday to tell her she had gotten the job. They both agreed that she would start the following Monday and that Mary could come in and fill out all of the hiring paperwork at that time.

On Tuesday of the same week, a friend of Sally's called to say that she had found the perfect person for her. Sally explained that she had already hired someone, but the friend insisted. "Just meet this girl. Who knows, maybe you might want to hire her in the future!" Rather reluctantly, Sally consented. "Alright, if she can come in tomorrow, I'll meet with her, but that's all." "Oh, I'm so glad. I just know you're going to like her!" Sally's friend exclaimed.

Sally did like her. She like her a lot. Sally met with Julie on Wednesday morning. She was everything that Sally had been looking for and more. In terms of experience, Julie far surpassed any of the candidates Sally had previously interviewed, including Mary. On top of that, she was willing to bring in clients of her own which would only increase business. All in all, Sally knew this was a win-win situation. But what about Mary? She had already given her word to Mary that she could start work on Monday.

She only had the resources to hire one person at this point. Clearly, the best business decision was to hire Julie, but what about the ethical decision? If her business did poorly or Mary couldn't provide enough support, the business would suffer. As a result, her family would suffer. Money was already tight with two boys in college; yet she knew Mary also had a family she was supporting. Plus, she had been so enthusiastic about starting to work.

Obviously, Sally had a problem - an ethical problem. Should she hire Mary (whom she'd already given her word) or Julie (who was obviously the best person for the job)? Questions like these touch on our deepest values. Depending on who you ask, you would get strong arguments for both decisions. This is what we mean when we talk about a "gray area." So what is the answer?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Ethics

Post by Nomad »

Business Ethics

Sally started her consulting business a year ago and has been doing very well. About a month ago, she decided she needed to hire someone to help her since she was getting busier and busier. After interviewing several candidates, she decided to hire the best one of the group, Mary. She called Mary on Monday to tell her she had gotten the job. They both agreed that she would start the following Monday and that Mary could come in and fill out all of the hiring paperwork at that time.

On Tuesday of the same week, a friend of Sally's called to say that she had found the perfect person for her. Sally explained that she had already hired someone, but the friend insisted. "Just meet this girl. Who knows, maybe you might want to hire her in the future!" Rather reluctantly, Sally consented. "Alright, if she can come in tomorrow, I'll meet with her, but that's all." "Oh, I'm so glad. I just know you're going to like her!" Sally's friend exclaimed.

Sally did like her. She like her a lot. Sally met with Julie on Wednesday morning. She was everything that Sally had been looking for and more. In terms of experience, Julie far surpassed any of the candidates Sally had previously interviewed, including Mary. On top of that, she was willing to bring in clients of her own which would only increase business. All in all, Sally knew this was a win-win situation. But what about Mary? She had already given her word to Mary that she could start work on Monday.

She only had the resources to hire one person at this point. Clearly, the best business decision was to hire Julie, but what about the ethical decision? If her business did poorly or Mary couldn't provide enough support, the business would suffer. As a result, her family would suffer. Money was already tight with two boys in college; yet she knew Mary also had a family she was supporting. Plus, she had been so enthusiastic about starting to work.

Obviously, Sally had a problem - an ethical problem. Should she hire Mary (whom she'd already given her word) or Julie (who was obviously the best person for the job)? Questions like these touch on our deepest values. Depending on who you ask, you would get strong arguments for both decisions. This is what we mean when we talk about a "gray area." So what is the answer?
I AM AWESOME MAN
YZGI

Ethics

Post by YZGI »

You have to do what is best for the business first. Explain to Mary what and how it happened and tell her if business keeps improving and Sally brings in new business she will be first in line to be hired.
YZGI

Ethics

Post by YZGI »

What happened to Julie?
qsducks

Ethics

Post by qsducks »

She should hire Mary as she had given her her word. If Mary doesn't work out, she can always go back to Julie.
Odie

Ethics

Post by Odie »

In a real world, she should hire Mary as she did give her word.

but that doesn't always happen, as I have been hired before, then told a family member got hired.

bad ethics is being slapped in the face when your told someone else has gotten the position you were hired for.
Life is just to short for drama.
Nomad

Ethics

Post by Nomad »

Wow. Utter chaos. What a mess Ive made of things. I got the names mixed up and ended up with 2 threads.

Fiasco ! :mad::-5:o:-5
I AM AWESOME MAN
qsducks

Ethics

Post by qsducks »

Nomad;1233856 wrote: Wow. Utter chaos. What a mess Ive made of things. I got the names mixed up and ended up with 2 threads.

Fiasco ! :mad::-5:o:-5

They merged the threads silly.:wah:
minks

Ethics

Post by minks »

Given what I see on this thread,

Julie, I would have to say Julie, if paperwork was not filled out for and signed by Mary and Sally I don't think Sally is obligated to hire Mary. If it is for the greater good of the company Julie is the right choice, and if Mary is hired and fails, Julie just might not be available later down the road. Yes I know ethically that is horrible, but in these days and ages people think about the greater good and that would be the good of the company. Can Sally live with that, who knows.

Now if Mary has signed the papers and the offer for employement has all the i's dotted and t's crossed then Sally is bound to stick with Mary I suspect.

as well at this early of a stage in the hiring, it isn't like Sally has to fire Mary, so realistically she can change her mind. Now here in this city standard policy is 3 months probation and a company can fire you for any reason. Once you go past 3 months they company needs a pretty darn good reason to fire you. If that is the same for Sally then ok she can Hire Mary, but how sad to hire her knowing you really want to get rid of her and hire Julie.

I still say Hire Julie if nothing is signed.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
minks

Ethics

Post by minks »

YZGI;1233829 wrote: You have to do what is best for the business first. Explain to Mary what and how it happened and tell her if business keeps improving and Sally brings in new business she will be first in line to be hired.

I agree and put more details in your other thread Nomad.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Bryn Mawr

Ethics

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Having given your word you are bound to take Mary - in some jurisdictions legally as well as morally.
Bryn Mawr

Ethics

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Hopefully this will resolve the confusion - I've merged the two threads under the more meaningful title.
chonsigirl

Ethics

Post by chonsigirl »

Bryn Mawr;1233890 wrote: Having given your word you are bound to take Mary - in some jurisdictions legally as well as morally.

Yes, in some places it would be considered an oral contract and legally binding to hire Mary.
Bryn Mawr

Ethics

Post by Bryn Mawr »

chonsigirl;1233894 wrote: Yes, in some places it would be considered an oral contract and legally binding to hire Mary.

The legal situation is secondary to the moral but even for practical reasons you should take Mary - if, having given your word, you cannot be trusted to keep it then how will your customers trust you to deal fairly with them.

Reputations are hard to build and easy to break. Once broken they are even harder to re-build.
Nomad

Ethics

Post by Nomad »

Bryn Mawr;1233900 wrote: The legal situation is secondary to the moral but even for practical reasons you should take Mary - if, having given your word, you cannot be trusted to keep it then how will your customers trust you to deal fairly with them.

Reputations are hard to build and easy to break. Once broken they are even harder to re-build.

You make a strong point. I subscribe to your ethical views but it would be a very hard decision to make.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Betty Boop

Ethics

Post by Betty Boop »

Nomad;1234274 wrote: You make a strong point. I subscribe to your ethical views but it would be a very hard decision to make.

I'm with Bryn on this one, a verbal agreement was made with Mary that I would not be able to go back on.
mikeinie

Ethics

Post by mikeinie »

It is not really an ethical question; it is more of a moral one.

Ethically there is nothing wrong with the decision for the business to change their mind, does it suck? Yes, but as long as a contract was not signed between them the business is still open to change their mind. They are not doing anything that can be called unethical.

Even if the contract was signed, they could still change their mind as most contracts have a probationary period.

Morally it is wrong, but since when did morals come into business anyway?
YZGI

Ethics

Post by YZGI »

mikeinie;1234450 wrote: It is not really an ethical question; it is more of a moral one.

Ethically there is nothing wrong with the decision for the business to change their mind, does it suck? Yes, but as long as a contract was not signed between them the business is still open to change their mind. They are not doing anything that can be called unethical.

Even if the contract was signed, they could still change their mind as most contracts have a probationary period.

Morally it is wrong, but since when did morals come into business anyway?
Which one had the best Ta Ta's?

Return to “Polls, Polls, and more Polls”