US opinion sought

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
spot

US opinion sought

Post by spot »

On a scale of 1 to 10, what proportion of Mike Reid's words can you understand on your first listen? There's a quid hanging on the result.

(as a supplementary aside, Mike Reid is here speaking a straight cockney accent with neither rhyming slang nor dialect words - this is just how he was born, as best I can tell. He's held in high regard throughout England.)

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
YZGI

US opinion sought

Post by YZGI »

:wah:

I got about 90% of it. Very funny joke.
spot

US opinion sought

Post by spot »

Thank you Wisey, that's a good start.

I've been asked how we speak round where I come from and attach a bit from a local club some years ago...

Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Carolly

US opinion sought

Post by Carolly »

I knew Mike...I worked for his wife Shirley as she was an Agent.....I agree with what Spot is saying as alot of people dont understand me sometimes on this forum lol but also gotta say that he was VERY cockney lol...his missed very much by many of us but knowing him his up there now looking down saying.........bleedin eck or words to that effect;).....I aint that f...... hard to f...... understand and giving one of his great laughs......I miss you mate....fanks for the clip Spot...it brought back some great memories.
Women are bitchy and predictable ...men are not and that's the key to knowing the truth.
Victoria

US opinion sought

Post by Victoria »

I think Mike Reid was great. I know theres a lot more regional accents on British Tv now days but they still seem to be a bit grammer school regional if you know what I mean.

A lot of people here say/think they speak good English and then they hear my OH and me talking or me on the phone to him and they are gobsmacked and manage to pick out about 1 in 10 words :wah:
spot

US opinion sought

Post by spot »

It's almost odd, the entire country just took to Mike Reid and not just after he joined Eastenders, he was magic long before then. I can't think of anyone who's taken his place.

I found a clip with me singing. 12.38 on Saturday 11th August 2007, I'm five rows back from the stage slap in front of the Richard Digance while he's warming up the field for the final day of the Cropredy festival. This was an odd few minutes even for a Richard Digance warm-up and he'd had us singing Two Little Boys just before this bit. The opera worked beautifully, what I remember of it is that everyone was in tune with Lee Bradley by the end and the whole field was willing him on. He came on stage looking terrified, he went off elated.

Chezzie

US opinion sought

Post by Chezzie »

Good old Mike Reid

I loved him on Runaround when I was a kid

sunny104

US opinion sought

Post by sunny104 »

I could understand every other sentence! :D

Return to “Comedy”