Finland's the place

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
gpthomlinson

Finland's the place

Post by gpthomlinson »

Hi All

Yeah, I know about the joke about Helsinki, but, really, if you want a calm and relaxing holiday (and very reasonably priced), then Finland is the place - preferably not in their winter, though.

Gail
Nomad

Finland's the place

Post by Nomad »

Why ?

Sell me.
I AM AWESOME MAN
AussiePam

Finland's the place

Post by AussiePam »

Nomad;760245 wrote: Why ?

Sell me.

Finland's got frozen lakes you can walk on and very tall trees. It's also got the best hazelnut yoghurt.

NOTICE:

Nomad is FOR SALE

Expressions of interest, in writing, may be addressed to the Moderators of ForumGarden

An auction will be held at Chinese New Year

All proceeds will go towards the flat earth sinking fund 2008
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Nomad

Finland's the place

Post by Nomad »

OHH ! Neato.

Whats the bidding up to now ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
AussiePam

Finland's the place

Post by AussiePam »

A Japanese Whaling Consortium has offered 200 yen, and I understand that Futures Trading on Wall Street is in shock freefall, Nomad. We await a bid from the Inuit Nation, which could be interesting. The bid from the Roman Gaul Separatist party won't be considered, as they wished to divide you into three parts, and representations were received from 47 percent of FG invisible posters claiming that this would severely limit your right to bare your arms or speak freely. A spokesperson for the Moonwalkers of Finland Freedom Union has maintained an icy silence.

Can I get you a cup of tea?

Nomad

Finland's the place

Post by Nomad »

Im holding out for the moonwalkers. They sound like a lively bunch.
I AM AWESOME MAN
AussiePam

Finland's the place

Post by AussiePam »

This is kind of weird, Fuzzy and Nomad. I was walking back from the beach this afternoon along the Manly cliff path when a tall blonde, blue eyed woman started chatting to me. Just out of the blue, like that. In fact she was telling me that only in Australia had she read so many notices in the street concerning things one shouldn't do. Do not cross against the lights. No loitering without intent. Do not bare your arms in the mosque. Don't smoke while sniffing petrol. You know the routine. She said she felt like she was in prison - and yet she'd never felt so free as she did in Australia. She was from Finland. I left her trying to work out what kind of exotic coffee she was going to choose for her afternoon caffeine fix. So many sidewalk cafes, so little time and all that.

I think I'll replay the Monty Python song. Good one, Fuzzy.

Nomad's been passed in at the sale. The Japanese withdrew their bid, and the moonwalkers went walkabout. Oh well, another time.

Don't forget to pay for the tea as you leave the thread.

mikeinie

Finland's the place

Post by mikeinie »

I am not sure of what joke you are talking about. I have been to Helsinki a few times, it is a nice place.
Nomad

Finland's the place

Post by Nomad »

Helsinki Shmelsinki.
I AM AWESOME MAN
gpthomlinson

Finland's the place

Post by gpthomlinson »

mikeinie;760397 wrote: I am not sure of what joke you are talking about. I have been to Helsinki a few times, it is a nice place.

(And also replying to AussiePam's question)

The joke: the joke is really only a silly pun on the words "Hell" and "Sink", and I'm sure you can figure out the variations from there.

The only thing (and I'm a REALLY fussy traveller) about Finland was Helsinki airport, if you are coming in, and intending to catch a domestic flight to another location. The domestic waiting area is appalling - bare, virtually no shops, looks a little like a hospital waiting room. At the same time, you can see into the International side, and can even go there, but it's all tax-free for international travellers, so you can't buy anything. I realise that they are aiming at the traveller going through to other countries, but they should also consider those travellers coming into Finland, and not necessarily staying in Helsinki.

That said, there are several wonderful things about Finland, but I think that THE BEST is the people themselves. That might sound strange, because they have a reputation for being distant. In fact (this is based on personal experience only), it's only that they have clearly-defined personal circles, and they don't like people coming into them. Friendly hugs, etc, are generally not appreciated, unless you know the person VERY well. Once you get to understand that a simple hand-shake (no double-hands, no high-five's) is perfectly ok, you get to a wonderful friendliness, graciousness, and hospitality. And I'm not only talking about the tourist hot spots, but in the smaller areas too. (Joensuu is marvellous).

If you read their history, and the hard times they’ve come through, you’d think they would have rights to be bitter. Yup, things are not forgotten, but they don’t harp on what can’t be changed.

And then of course, the super-efficiency of their public transport - especially the rail system.

(And, no, I have no connection with Finland, other than the fantastic people I met there).

Hope that answers.
AussiePam

Finland's the place

Post by AussiePam »

I arrived by boat gpt, so have no experience of the airport. I remember the people there being open and friendly, but it was summer. Scandinavia in winter is different, understandably.

Return to “Travel Vacation”