Barcelona

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Bryn Mawr

Barcelona

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Just a few photo's from my recent visit.
Bryn Mawr

Barcelona

Post by Bryn Mawr »

The local hospital next to the Hotel, some poor parking by the ring road, the junior school from the Hotel window and the entry to the park (complete with gazebo) :-

Attached files
Bryn Mawr

Barcelona

Post by Bryn Mawr »

The park gatehouse, the climb to the monastery of Montserrat and a couple of views of the basilica :-

Attached files
spot

Barcelona

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;768665 wrote: The park gatehouse, the climb to the monastery of Montserrat and a couple of views of the basilica :-

I looked very carefully - are you seriously saying there's steps cut up that slope?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AussiePam

Barcelona

Post by AussiePam »

Very nice Bryn. Yonks since I've been there but the photos took me back. I also remember very vividly the stylishly elegant ladies of Las Ramblas. A lesson for us more laid back aussie shielas. My partner is visiting Spain for the first time, in April. Wish I could go too.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Bryn Mawr

Barcelona

Post by Bryn Mawr »

The Atrium of Casa Mila, with smarter than average chimneys.

Another gaudy Gaudi - this one's Casa Batllo with a picturesque fireplace.

Attached files
Bryn Mawr

Barcelona

Post by Bryn Mawr »

He goes in for doors in a big way - and definitely has a thing about chimneys.

They're not too quick though, they've been building this one since 1882!

Just to prove they can build plain too :-)

Attached files
Bryn Mawr

Barcelona

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;768668 wrote: I looked very carefully - are you seriously saying there's steps cut up that slope?

Well we did see some idiots climbing down after their visit - whilst we went up in comfort in the cablecar :-)
Chezzie

Barcelona

Post by Chezzie »

Great pics Bryn, thanks for posting them for us. I was just 14 years old when I visited Barcelona, we did the travel tour trip which included the stadium, old barcelona town and some of the places you posted.:-6
Bryn Mawr

Barcelona

Post by Bryn Mawr »

AussiePam;768670 wrote: Very nice Bryn. Yonks since I've been there but the photos took me back. I also remember very vividly the stylishly elegant ladies of Las Ramblas. A lesson for us more laid back aussie shielas. My partner is visiting Spain for the first time, in April. Wish I could go too.

The ladies of the Rambles may not be quite as stylish as you remember them - but I'm sure some of them could be laid back fairly easily :wah:

Jesting aside, crammed with tourists having little concept of elegant. The locals have far more idea but they're outnumbered.
Bryn Mawr

Barcelona

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Chezzie;768688 wrote: Great pics Bryn, thanks for posting them for us. I was just 14 years old when I visited Barcelona, we did the travel tour trip which included the stadium, old barcelona town and some of the places you posted.:-6

I was impressed by the stadia - especially as Espanyol hosted Barca in their local derby whilst we were there without a hint of trouble.
AussiePam

Barcelona

Post by AussiePam »

Bryn Mawr;768689 wrote: The ladies of the Rambles may not be quite as stylish as you remember them - but I'm sure some of them could be laid back fairly easily :wah:

Jesting aside, crammed with tourists having little concept of elegant. The locals have far more idea but they're outnumbered.

Yes. It's hard to express exactly what I felt there. I think it was the first time I'd sat back and really watched people go by. And alongside the workaday folk and peasants and tourists (and I don't write that in any kind of condescending way) there was elegance, European style elegance. In the men too. I've seen it in French cities and Italian cities now too of course. But Barcelona was the first time I'd really noticed. You're on a bus in an outlying Paris suburb and elderly ladies get on, and they ARE NOT in pink lycra shorts and tee shirts or jeans and sneakers, or comfy twin sets, tweed skirts and homyped shoes. They put on high heels and a fashion outfit to walk the dog in the park in the weekend!!!! Not a matter of age either, or facelifts or plastic Hollywood barbie looks. Elegance in carriage, in expression, something intangible.. I'm not saying this is how we all should be. BUT heck, I do try. Sometimes. Grin. Vive le style!

Gotta have coffee. It's too early for dreaming. But your photos will accompany me through my day, Bryn. THANKYOU
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Pheasy

Barcelona

Post by Pheasy »

Fantastic photos Bryn :-6 Good to have you back :-4
littlemissgiggle

Barcelona

Post by littlemissgiggle »

fantastic photos thank you Bryn,

i am going to add Barcelona to the list of places I would like to visit.

:D
Bryn Mawr

Barcelona

Post by Bryn Mawr »

littlemissgiggle;768759 wrote: fantastic photos thank you Bryn,

i am going to add Barcelona to the list of places I would like to visit.

:D

I can thoroughly recommend it - we had six days there and only skimmed the surface.
Kathy Ellen

Barcelona

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Thank you Bryn:-6 Pics are fabulous...but where is a pic of you:-4
Bryn Mawr

Barcelona

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Kathy Ellen;768821 wrote: Thank you Bryn:-6 Pics are fabulous...but where is a pic of you:-4

Consigned to the dustbin as soon as I find out about it :mad:
Kathy Ellen

Barcelona

Post by Kathy Ellen »

post a pic Bryn:-4
Bryn Mawr

Barcelona

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Kathy Ellen;768855 wrote: post a pic Bryn:-4

The only one I have in in my avatar :p
KarmaDoodle

Barcelona

Post by KarmaDoodle »

Great pictures - you've now increased my wanderlust like 10 x.
kazalala

Barcelona

Post by kazalala »

Wow! you took some fantastic phot's Bryn! it looks lovely, i have never been there........ yet:D

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
chrisb84uk

Barcelona

Post by chrisb84uk »

Great pictures Bryn I can see why you had such a wonderful time there thanks for sharing them! :)

Though I bet it was a little overcrowded by tourists as it must be one of the most visited places in Europe I would of thought.
Bryn Mawr

Barcelona

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Well worth the visit - we were there for six days and could easily have spend another six there without running out of things to see.
chrisb84uk

Barcelona

Post by chrisb84uk »

I can imagine, and isn't it just typical that once you feel you have just started your holiday and began enjoying the sights, it's time to come home again already. :p

Ah well anyway I'm glad to had a good time! :-6
Orley

Barcelona

Post by Orley »

We went to Barcelona in the Autumn and it rained solidly most of our visit.

We visited Gaudi's masterpiece cathedral, not just to get out of the rain, but to take in its quirky majesty. There was a stream running down the street outside. It was not the cold rain we have in Britain, so we waded up the hill to a Pizza hut in our Crocs.

Another thing I remember is using the public transport. We caught a bus to see the lights and fountains show downtown. We did not notice the bus had taken a different route on the way back. As the realisation slowly dawned on us we also realised no-one spoke English. There was an immediate search for our phrase book. By the time we got the driver to understand, we were out in the sticks: halfway up that mountain in your picture in the pouring rain. We eventually got a taxi back to El Diagonal, where our hotel was.
Bryn Mawr

Barcelona

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Orley;801319 wrote: We went to Barcelona in the Autumn and it rained solidly most of our visit.

We visited Gaudi's masterpiece cathedral, not just to get out of the rain, but to take in its quirky majesty. There was a stream running down the street outside. It was not the cold rain we have in Britain, so we waded up the hill to a Pizza hut in our Crocs.

Another thing I remember is using the public transport. We caught a bus to see the lights and fountains show downtown. We did not notice the bus had taken a different route on the way back. As the realisation slowly dawned on us we also realised no-one spoke English. There was an immediate search for our phrase book. By the time we got the driver to understand, we were out in the sticks: halfway up that mountain in your picture in the pouring rain. We eventually got a taxi back to El Diagonal, where our hotel was.

Whilst we were taking a boat trip along the coast my wife said she wanted to go to the monastery at the top of the mountain. I assumed she meant the "mountain" at the northern edge of the city.

The next day I said we'd go and we started walking - it wasn't until we were nearing the monastery at the top that I found out she meant Montserrat, forty miles further north!

Needless to say, we took the train to get to that one :-)

Return to “Travel Vacation”