Been to Arizona?

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Predator Prevention

Been to Arizona?

Post by Predator Prevention »

We're a military family, and have lived in many places. We know now that we could be soon moving to Arizona. My husband was born there, and has spent several deployments there...he loves it. I've never been there, and I'm really looking forward to the weather. We've lived in really warm places before, but I'm more concerned with the wildlife in Arizona........snakes, scorpions etc. If you've been there, or live there I'd love some words of wisdom.
Patsy Warnick

Been to Arizona?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Welcome to the DESERT RAT CLUB - Arizona has alot to offer

in the Valley - meaning Phoenix - Tucson has hot temps compared to a 2 hour drive up North to Prescott with the Pine Trees.

Arizona (Phoenix) is very developed - another LA - with development goes the bugs - unless I'm digging in the yard I don't see bugs..

I has a Road Runner in my yard the other day - very cool.

Right now is the reverse of one with winter temps & house bound.

AZ is very hot right now 115 - running around is consolidated...

Get a home with a pool if you can - other wise right now you become a prisoner of your own home...

Where exactly are you moving to?

Patsy
Nomad

Been to Arizona?

Post by Nomad »

Ugh

I couldnt do it

I lived in Florida for yrs and grew to hate the heat

I know its different heat but heat all the same

Still Id like to visit and experience what the desert offers

You might love it scorpions and all though
I AM AWESOME MAN
Predator Prevention

Been to Arizona?

Patsy Warnick;895580 wrote: Welcome to the DESERT RAT CLUB - Arizona has alot to offer

in the Valley - meaning Phoenix - Tucson has hot temps compared to a 2 hour drive up North to Prescott with the Pine Trees.

Arizona (Phoenix) is very developed - another LA - with development goes the bugs - unless I'm digging in the yard I don't see bugs..

I has a Road Runner in my yard the other day - very cool.

Right now is the reverse of one with winter temps & house bound.

AZ is very hot right now 115 - running around is consolidated...

Get a home with a pool if you can - other wise right now you become a prisoner of your own home...

Where exactly are you moving to?

Patsy

We'll be looking to buy a home in the Pheonix area. I don't want to buy a house in the "country" where it's undeveloped until we knew more about the wildlife. I was afraid the developed areas might be just as bad because the developments are mostly newer. You're in a developed area though, and you don't have alot of problems?

A road runner? That would be neat to see. My husband has come home several times from there talking about the road runners, but I've never seen one to really know what he's talking about, but it sounds funny :wah:
Predator Prevention

Been to Arizona?

Nomad;895588 wrote: Ugh

I couldnt do it

I lived in Florida for yrs and grew to hate the heat

I know its different heat but heat all the same

Still Id like to visit and experience what the desert offers

You might love it scorpions and all though

I live for hot weather. 100+ degree heat, a bottle of water, and I'm good to go!:D
Patsy Warnick

Been to Arizona?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Nomad

What the he** are you doing up this late...???

You mosquitos the size of Cranes

Patsy
Patsy Warnick

Been to Arizona?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Predator

First - why this name - PREDATOR?

Patsy
Predator Prevention

Been to Arizona?

Patsy Warnick;895595 wrote: Predator

First - why this name - PREDATOR?

Patsy

The name Predator Prevention because that's what I spend alot of time fighting for....online predator and youth violence prevention. I created The Myspace Neighborhood Watch on myspace to help with these causes....so that's why the name.;)
Patsy Warnick

Been to Arizona?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Pred

it's just a different choice for a name. ok

When you say moving to Phoenix - like what area?

it's very broken down Glendale - Scottsdale - Avondale - Paradise Valley

Just like in California everythings a Santa - Sante Clair - Sante Fe -whatever

No bugs other than what your use to - the regular

Scorpions stay in a dark MOIST area - like under a rock...

I've lived here over 20 years - never seen one - unless I was out looking for them.

Patsy

Nomad

Perfect time to visit - Oct., thru May. And if you ever visit you better meet up with me - I'll take you to the best steak house up North - the best.. then part ways

Then you and your wife can go explore & enjoy. you'd love it - I'd enjoy it...

Glad you survived the storm...

Anytime

Patsy
Nomad

Been to Arizona?

Post by Nomad »

I live for hot weather. 100+ degree heat, a bottle of water, and I'm good to go!:D

Ok well if you're already crazy I guess the heat can't do much more damage. ;)

Nomad

What the he** are you doing up this late...???

You mosquitos the size of Cranes

Patsy

Hi Pats

Im not going in tomorrow. Im phasing myself out of that job so I can go full time with the private dick stuff.

The mosquito is our state bird...show some respect will ya ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
Predator Prevention

Been to Arizona?

Patsy Warnick;895610 wrote: Pred

it's just a different choice for a name. ok

When you say moving to Phoenix - like what area?

it's very broken down Glendale - Scottsdale - Avondale - Paradise Valley

Just like in California everythings a Santa - Sante Clair - Sante Fe -whatever

No bugs other than what your use to - the regular

Scorpions stay in a dark MOIST area - like under a rock...

I've lived here over 20 years - never seen one - unless I was out looking for them.

Patsy

Nomad

Perfect time to visit - Oct., thru May. And if you ever visit you better meet up with me - I'll take you to the best steak house up North - the best.. then part ways

Then you and your wife can go explore & enjoy. you'd love it - I'd enjoy it...

Glad you survived the storm...

Anytime

Patsy

what area will depend on where we find the house we want. It will be around phoenix someplace. I want a house with a good size yard, with or without grass ofcourse, and as you said....a pool, or a place to put one. :)
RedGlitter

Been to Arizona?

Post by RedGlitter »

I live about 4 1/2 hours from Phoenix on a mesa by the Colorado River.

Have been here 33 years. You'll learn to get along with the fauna. Snakes tend to show up after a good rainstorm. Scorpions too but once you accept that they are part of desert life, you shouldn't be too afraid.

You say you like 100 plus temps, our hottest was 130. We all thought we were going to bake alive. After 126 though nobody counts anymore.

You might feel a little sickly when you first move out here during your first summer. You have to get acclimated to the heat. The heat is no joke. I was out tending my dogs a couple summers ago at about 10 AM and I started to get the first signs of heatstroke. Dizzy, clammy, heart palpitations. I came into the house immediately. It was a bit scary for me. Never think you're too much for the heat...always think the heat is too much for you. :)
Predator Prevention

Been to Arizona?

RedGlitter;895646 wrote: I live about 4 1/2 hours from Phoenix on a mesa by the Colorado River.

Have been here 33 years. You'll learn to get along with the fauna. Snakes tend to show up after a good rainstorm. Scorpions too but once you accept that they are part of desert life, you shouldn't be too afraid.

You say you like 100 plus temps, our hottest was 130. We all thought we were going to bake alive. After 126 though nobody counts anymore.

You might feel a little sickly when you first move out here during your first summer. You have to get acclimated to the heat. The heat is no joke. I was out tending my dogs a couple summers ago at about 10 AM and I started to get the first signs of heatstroke. Dizzy, clammy, heart palpitations. I came into the house immediately. It was a bit scary for me. Never think you're too much for the heat...always think the heat is too much for you. :)

130 degrees! That's alittle frightening. I don't worry too much as long as the air conditioning isn't too far away. It's a pretty dry heat down there from what my husband tells when he gets back from there isn't it? Little humidity? My worry also is for my two dogs who love to be outside. One is an English Bulldog who overheats very quickly. The other is a chow mix that attacks anything on the ground that moves, and isn't a person. I don't worry when she eats the ants, but I'll worry if she gets ahold of something that will want to take a bite out of her instead. :D
RedGlitter

Been to Arizona?

Post by RedGlitter »

You're right to worry about your dogs, especially the bulldog. They can't handle being outside in summer here. A friend of mine found that out the sad way. He'll have to stay inside in summer. Actually I think any dog should. I have outside dogs as well as inside (3 each) and it's a job keeping the outside guys cooled off. I'd bring them in but my group does not all get along. They require children's plastic swimming pools and solar cloth, doghouses to get out of the sun. Shelter. And always extra water. A tipped over or empty water dish can mean death to a desert dog in summer.I'm not trying to scare you, I am just trying to get across that it's too hot for any living thing out here pretty much and I would definitely plan on bringing your fur guys in. Do you have cats? If so keep them in the house because we have coyotes and large raptors. I've lost cats to both; mine are house cats now.

AZ is very dry, yes...except during the summer storms which we call "monsoons" although technically they are not really monsoons at all. But it does get hot and sticky around July/August during the storms. Not as bad as say the east coast but for us it's difficult.
Predator Prevention

Been to Arizona?

RedGlitter;895665 wrote: You're right to worry about your dogs, especially the bulldog. They can't handle being outside in summer here. A friend of mine found that out the sad way. He'll have to stay inside in summer. Actually I think any dog should. I have outside dogs as well as inside (3 each) and it's a job keeping the outside guys cooled off. I'd bring them in but my group does not all get along. They require children's plastic swimming pools and solar cloth, doghouses to get out of the sun. Shelter. And always extra water. A tipped over or empty water dish can mean death to a desert dog in summer.I'm not trying to scare you, I am just trying to get across that it's too hot for any living thing out here pretty much and I would definitely plan on bringing your fur guys in. Do you have cats? If so keep them in the house because we have coyotes and large raptors. I've lost cats to both; mine are house cats now.

AZ is very dry, yes...except during the summer storms which we call "monsoons" although technically they are not really monsoons at all. But it does get hot and sticky around July/August during the storms. Not as bad as say the east coast but for us it's difficult.

Both of my dogs inside dogs that like to be out alot, so yes, I guess they'll have to be in much more often. The pool thing is a good idea.

What are the winters like there, and more importantly....What in the world is a RAPTOR? Just the word Raptor is frightening:(
WonderWendy3

Been to Arizona?

Post by WonderWendy3 »

Predator Prevention;895667 wrote: Both of my dogs inside dogs that like to be out alot, so yes, I guess they'll have to be in much more often. The pool thing is a good idea.

What are the winters like there, and more importantly....What in the world is a RAPTOR? Just the word Raptor is frightening:(

I'm glad you asked....I'm just reading the thread to be nosey, have nothing to add, but am curious to see what a raptor is!:thinking:
Predator Prevention

Been to Arizona?

WonderWendy3;895668 wrote: I'm glad you asked....I'm just reading the thread to be nosey, have nothing to add, but am curious to see what a raptor is!:thinking:

:wah: it sounds freaky doesn't it?

The last time I heard the word raptor, I was watching Jurassic Park.....nothing related to that is something I want in my backyard.
RedGlitter

Been to Arizona?

Post by RedGlitter »

:wah: A raptor is a bird of prey. We have some pretty big hawks out here and they have been known to swoop down and pick up small animals like rabbits and such.

Winters where I'm at are okay. It can get to the 40s-50s in the early morning hours and we often have a bitter wind chill but if you ask me, it's a nice reprieve after a long hot summer. We don't have seasons out here. It starts cooling off in early October and by April it's fairly warm again. Of course in the mountain areas it snows.
Predator Prevention

Been to Arizona?

Well, I feel alittle better about what a Raptor is. We have vultures and chicken hawks out here in the country that we're always dealing with.

Here in Ohio, enjoying the outside being above 60 degrees is about 12 weeks out of the year, no joke. It's a very short amount of time that we have descent warmth, and much of that ends up being rainy, or cloudy days. July, and the first half of August get up to 90's, and after that, it's all down hill again. It's depressing. I miss living in warmer places. There's nothing more uplifting than a sunny day, unfortunately the sun isn't too fond of Ohio at the moment:(
Patsy Warnick

Been to Arizona?

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Pred

I moved from wet gloom climate

I'll take the daily sunshine & these hot months before the ugly grey wet days.

Winter in Phoenix is mild similar to Ohio Spring but @ 7 months of it..

Alot of "Snowbirds" from Ohio- Minnesota area stay here 6 months to dodge their snow.

Good Luck

Patsy
Predator Prevention

Been to Arizona?

Patsy Warnick;896442 wrote: Pred

I moved from wet gloom climate

I'll take the daily sunshine & these hot months before the ugly grey wet days.

Winter in Phoenix is mild similar to Ohio Spring but @ 7 months of it..

Alot of "Snowbirds" from Ohio- Minnesota area stay here 6 months to dodge their snow.

Good Luck

Patsy

Sounds good to me. I'm not sure when we're moving, but I'm hoping it's pretty soon. I'm so sick of this nasty weather.
LilLaura

Been to Arizona?

Post by LilLaura »

I had been there only once when I was younger and I enjoyed it. You'll have fun. :)
A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road. - Henry Ward Beecher

Return to “Travel Vacation”