West Virginia: Wild Wonderful

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
raptures_music

Post by raptures_music »

I know how everyone bashes West Virginia, saying bad things about the state when they've never actually been there and experienced the people and places for themselves. I have family in WV, and it's always a blast to visit them and get away from the crap that I've come to associate with living in Ohio (Ohio isn't that great, I tell ya).

My mother and I drove down to WV over Labor Day weekend to visit her sister and mother (my aunt and grandmother, obviously) and visit Hawk's Nest State Park and New River Gorge National River while we were there. I took my Canon Powershot S3IS (one of Canon's nice digital models that isn't quite a DSLR) to get pictures of the trip. I didn't get any photos of the New River Gorge Bridge (too cloudy) or of New River (too hazy), but I'll remedy that next month when Mom and I go back. I've heard tell that New River and Kanawha Falls (see link below) are gorgeous when the autumn colors are in.

The trip was awesome. It felt so good to be back in West Virginia, particularly at the Kanawha Falls, Hawk's Nest, and New River. I fail to understand why anyone would want to make fun of such a beautiful, wild, and wonderful state. When you're at Hawk's Nest and New River, you truly understand just how old and wild it is there. While I was there, I had John Denver's song, "Take Me Home, Country Roads" (WV's state song) playing in my head the entire time. It's the perfect getaway.

Now, I stayed with my aunt and grandmother in Charleston (the state capitol), but if you can afford it, the Hawk's Nest Lodge is a wonderful place to stay. Even if you're just passing through, the Lodge is a nice place to stop and get a bite to eat. The gift shop at the Lodge is loaded with nice things, so it wouldn't hurt to check it out, though your wallet might complain after a while. There's also a lot to do in the Gorge; there's horseback riding, whitewater rafting, hiking, rock climbing, fishing, mountain biking, and jetboat tours below the rapids. The New River Gorge Bridge and Visitor's Center (just off US-19) has TONS of interesting stuff -- ancient geological history of the area, merch, information, etc.

I can't recommend this place enough. It's a must-see.

Click here to view the pictures from my trip to West Virginia over Labor Day weekend, and feel free to browse the rest of my deviantART gallery. However, I only ask that you refrain from taking my pictures (both photos and drawings alike) and posting them elsewhere as your own. I've worked hard on all the art in my gallery, and it's very upsetting when someone steals one's artwork.
"Do or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
Peg

Post by Peg »

Great pics! I haven't been in that area of the state since I was a teen. I'm thinking it's time I go back for a visit. It looks as lovely as I remember it.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Thanks for sharing, raptures music. Your photos are beautiful. My mom was born in Parkersburg, and I had the pleasure of visiting there when I was a child. Great memories.:)

PS. You look alot like JJ. :wah:
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
raptures_music

Post by raptures_music »

along-for-the-ride;990393 wrote: Thanks for sharing, raptures music. Your photos are beautiful. My mom was born in Parkersburg, and I had the pleasure of visiting there when I was a child. Great memories.:)

PS. You look alot like JJ. :wah:

That's interesting, because my uncle and his wife lived in Parkersburg for a few years, I think until about seven or so years ago. I've only driven through Parkersburg if Mom decides to drive down through Marietta (beautiful little Ohio down across the river), but I've always liked Parkersburg.

LOL Maybe we share an ancestor at some point!
"Do or do not. There is no try." ~Yoda

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ~Dr. Seuss
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Hi Rapture....Honestly, I've never heard of anyone putting West Virginia down in any way, shape or form.

West Virginia is a beautiful state, and I almost moved there to a town called Shewsbury. I spent some time there with my fiance and really loved it there and also loved the WV residents.

Thanks for sharing your pics....very beautiful:-6

Return to “Travel Vacation”