Going to Hawaii!

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Hope6

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Hope6 »

Planning a trip to Hawaii in August!

anyone here who has been before got any tips or advice? :D
Odie

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Odie »

Hope6;1098898 wrote: Planning a trip to Hawaii in August!

alright!!!

- bring tons of money, the most expensive place in the world, tips?

I can ask me bro, he and his wife went there.
Life is just to short for drama.
kayleneaussie

Going to Hawaii!

Post by kayleneaussie »

my stepson and his wife are going in September:D got no tips or advice for ya though:yh_rotfl
FOC THREAD PART 1
Odie

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Odie »

JAB;1098915 wrote: I've been there. You'll love it! Some of the most gorgeous scenery anywhere!

Which islands are you going to? Make sure you go to at least one other than Oahu. Honolulu is good to say you've been there but it's way too commercialized for my taste. We also spent some time on Maui which was even prettier.

Make sure you go to a luau, learn to like Mai Tai's and taste some awesome fresh pineapple! :-6

yes, must go to a luau!

awesome JAB, sounds like you had fun!
minks

Going to Hawaii!

Post by minks »

I have been 2 times... I suggest avoiding Waikiki beach but then if you love the tourist traps then it's ok.

Maui is beautiful and has some night life. I would say do the following when there

Haleakala National Park is a must, take the bus tour. You go up the mountain in the wee hours of the morning and you watch the sun come up through the clouds hunny it is soul moving. One of the coolest things i have ever experienced. Now a word of advise if you are doing this.... dress warmly I mean wear a fleece and a jacket. I know you won't pack mittens to go to hawaii but I seriously would sugges a pair of socks in your pocket for your hands. Wear long pants, socks and shoes... it seriously is cold up there but so worth it.

I would suggest while on Maui you visit Lahaina it's a beautiful town and take the catamaran out into the ... horseshoe island and do the snorkel trip... fantastic

See below for a few good links on Maui.

Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii - Island Information, Events, Activities, Attractions

Maui Must See and Do

Now you see I last went to Maui about 8 years ago, prior to that in 1979 I went to Hawaii and visited Oahu, Maui and Kuai, and Kuai was my absolute fave for outstanding scenery but that was ages ago... if it still exists go see "Fern Grotto" stunning.

Discover Kauai - Official Tourism Site of the County of Kauai

And last but not least tak in a laua it's cool....

OOOO one last think I think it is on Oahu, go see the Polynesian Cultural Center I thought that was so worth it with all it's amazing pavillions of the surrounding islands. If you do that I offer a word of advise... do not go in shorts and a bikini top, this place is operated by mormons and I got the big frown from many people there hehehehe

Do enjoy yourself.

I am envious.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Hope6

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Hope6 »

Odie;1098900 wrote: alright!!!

- bring tons of money, the most expensive place in the world, tips?

I can ask me bro, he and his wife went there.

yeah it costs quite a bit just for the plane trip there!

which i admit i'm a little nervous about, i've never flown before! :-3
Hope6

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Hope6 »

kayleneaussie;1098905 wrote: my stepson and his wife are going in September:D got no tips or advice for ya though:yh_rotfl

awwwww well we're almost going at the same time! :D
Hope6

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Hope6 »

JAB;1098915 wrote: I've been there. You'll love it! Some of the most gorgeous scenery anywhere!

Which islands are you going to? Make sure you go to at least one other than Oahu. Honolulu is good to say you've been there but it's way too commercialized for my taste. We also spent some time on Maui which was even prettier.

Make sure you go to a luau, learn to like Mai Tai's and taste some awesome fresh pineapple! :-6

we haven't decided for sure what islands we want to go to but we want to go to several if possible, and i definately want to go to a luau! :guitarist
Hope6

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Hope6 »

minks;1098935 wrote: I have been 2 times... I suggest avoiding Waikiki beach but then if you love the tourist traps then it's ok.

Maui is beautiful and has some night life. I would say do the following when there

Haleakala National Park is a must, take the bus tour. You go up the mountain in the wee hours of the morning and you watch the sun come up through the clouds hunny it is soul moving. One of the coolest things i have ever experienced. Now a word of advise if you are doing this.... dress warmly I mean wear a fleece and a jacket. I know you won't pack mittens to go to hawaii but I seriously would sugges a pair of socks in your pocket for your hands. Wear long pants, socks and shoes... it seriously is cold up there but so worth it.

I would suggest while on Maui you visit Lahaina it's a beautiful town and take the catamaran out into the ... horseshoe island and do the snorkel trip... fantastic

See below for a few good links on Maui.

Lahaina, Maui, Hawaii - Island Information, Events, Activities, Attractions

Maui Must See and Do

Now you see I last went to Maui about 8 years ago, prior to that in 1979 I went to Hawaii and visited Oahu, Maui and Kuai, and Kuai was my absolute fave for outstanding scenery but that was ages ago... if it still exists go see "Fern Grotto" stunning.

Discover Kauai - Official Tourism Site of the County of Kauai

And last but not least tak in a laua it's cool....

OOOO one last think I think it is on Oahu, go see the Polynesian Cultural Center I thought that was so worth it with all it's amazing pavillions of the surrounding islands. If you do that I offer a word of advise... do not go in shorts and a bikini top, this place is operated by mormons and I got the big frown from many people there hehehehe

Do enjoy yourself.

I am envious.

WOW! thanks for all the great information darlin! :-6
minks

Going to Hawaii!

Post by minks »

I expect pics posted in return hehehehe

― Mae West
minks

Going to Hawaii!

Post by minks »

Oh Hope as for the flying thing... I don't know what to tell you, I have travelled by air since I was probably 4 (first airplane trip was to my grandparents place on Vancouver Island) and for 35 of those years I was the worlds worst passenger, a right royal nervous wreck. In my teens we were taking a trip to San Francisco and upon landing I got a horrific nose bleed. So bad that I could not leave the plane until it quit. My mother and one stewardess were helping me, meanwhile all the disimbarking passengers were walking by looking and wondering and asking what happened, and you dont' think that embarasses a teenage girl badly ahahaha.

So anyways, I finally went to my doctors begging for help on what to do I had had enough of the anxiety of flying but wanted to keep travelling and were getting ready to go to Jamaica, the longest flight of my life at that point. Well she perscribed anti angst pills and they worked. I did great. Well a couple years ago this crazy gal embarked upon the trip of a life time and headed for London England all on her own to meet a pile of strangers (the original FG meet up) and Voila, no drugs, no angst nothing I was as cool as a cucumber and I think I am cured hehehehehe

Now I will know for sure sometime this spring as Jr Minks and I have plans to go to Italy...

But enough about me hun, flying is a piece of cake, just do not think booze will help, drink very little, enjoy the inhouse movie, read, nap etc. I think you will be fine.

― Mae West
Hope6

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Hope6 »

minks;1098966 wrote: I expect pics posted in return hehehehe

okay i'll be sure and do that! :D
Hope6

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Hope6 »

minks;1098975 wrote: Oh Hope as for the flying thing... I don't know what to tell you, I have travelled by air since I was probably 4 (first airplane trip was to my grandparents place on Vancouver Island) and for 35 of those years I was the worlds worst passenger, a right royal nervous wreck. In my teens we were taking a trip to San Francisco and upon landing I got a horrific nose bleed. So bad that I could not leave the plane until it quit. My mother and one stewardess were helping me, meanwhile all the disimbarking passengers were walking by looking and wondering and asking what happened, and you dont' think that embarasses a teenage girl badly ahahaha.

So anyways, I finally went to my doctors begging for help on what to do I had had enough of the anxiety of flying but wanted to keep travelling and were getting ready to go to Jamaica, the longest flight of my life at that point. Well she perscribed anti angst pills and they worked. I did great. Well a couple years ago this crazy gal embarked upon the trip of a life time and headed for London England all on her own to meet a pile of strangers (the original FG meet up) and Voila, no drugs, no angst nothing I was as cool as a cucumber and I think I am cured hehehehehe

Now I will know for sure sometime this spring as Jr Minks and I have plans to go to Italy...

But enough about me hun, flying is a piece of cake, just do not think booze will help, drink very little, enjoy the inhouse movie, read, nap etc. I think you will be fine.

yeah i was wondering if i should try taking a shorter trip somewhere ahead of time just to see how i handle it! :-3
minks

Going to Hawaii!

Post by minks »

Hope6;1098980 wrote: yeah i was wondering if i should try taking a shorter trip somewhere ahead of time just to see how i handle it! :-3

naw just jump in and do it.

― Mae West
Peg

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Peg »

I've never been to Hawaii so I have no tips for you, but I do have some advice.

TAKE ME! :yh_rotfl
Patsy Warnick

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Hope

I go to Hawaii every year - 2008 we stayed in Hawaii for nearly a month of November. Oahu 2008 was @ our 7th consecutive visit.. lots of fun

Which Island are you going to visit?

I have several tips & there are several ways for saving money..

Patsy
Hope6

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Hope6 »

minks;1099031 wrote: naw just jump in and do it.

yeah that might be best! :thinking:

then theres the problem of wondering how a 3 year old is gonna handle flying! :wah:
Hope6

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Hope6 »

Peg;1099033 wrote: I've never been to Hawaii so I have no tips for you, but I do have some advice.

TAKE ME! :yh_rotfl

:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl okay clear your calender for around the middle of August and we'll swing by and pick you up! :driving: :yh_rotfl
Hope6

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Hope6 »

Patsy Warnick;1099044 wrote: Hope

I go to Hawaii every year - 2008 we stayed in Hawaii for nearly a month of November. Oahu 2008 was @ our 7th consecutive visit.. lots of fun

Which Island are you going to visit?

I have several tips & there are several ways for saving money..

Patsy

we want to visit more than one island if possible but we haven't decided for sure which ones yet, but any advice you have would be great!
Patsy Warnick

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Hope

Depending on what you & your Family want will determine what Island you visit.?

Island Hopping is expensive - @ $130.00 round trip per person.

Oahu - Waikiki Beach - Pearl Harbor & many other sites.

Oahu has the best transit system, city bus $2.00 ride will take you to any site

so a expensive package is unnecessary. For instance a Pearl Harbor package costs @ $36.00 a person, all it involves is a ride to Pearl Harbor. It's not a tour, since Pearl H. is Military, it's just a ride..Which is near their famous Flea Market, which is the best place to buy souveniors

City bus is $2.00 a person. You can ride the bus around the whole Island for $2.00 and go up to the North Shore, which is completely different from Waikiki Beach.

Every Corner have Magazine Racks/Books (Waikiki)- pick them up - there are many coupons inside for discounts on Eating, fun..

$2.00 will take you to the Water Life to swim with Dolphins, there really is no reason to purchase any package.

Luau is a nice experience - but a long day - pickup @ 4:00 & return @ 10:00 p.m..

something to consider with kids.?? cost @ $40.00 + a person...

several Hotel provide the Luau experience in a smaller version right at the Hotel.

Do experience a water excursion - catamaran , you'll see right on the beaches with reasonable prices $12.00 each.

take a day or 2, to relax on the beaches & make sand castles ..

Maui, you'll need to rent a car, and it has all the beauty of Oahu. alot of wealthy people/ celebs & all live there.. alot of lg residential areas. gated area's off limits to public..?

Kauai - quiet Island - beautiful lush greenery, it's called the Garden Island and it rains alot - nearly every day. Fern Groto is a beautiful site, and can only be reached by boat, I was married there once. There's a old Elvis Movie with Fern Groto in it...:) Not alot there and at the end of the road was a Restaurant Charo's and the other end of the road is a unoccupied beach with dark gray sand and alot of Sharks.

Large Island of Hawaii - I've never been, met a artist who has a gallery there - he stays on Oahu for inspiration for the scenery.

Ferry - Hawaii has a new Ferry for Island hopping - example - Oahu to Maui is @ 3 hrs and costs @ $ 52.00 each person 1-way, and leaves @ 6:30 a.m. & returns to Oahu at noon, so you'd need to plan a stay on Maui for a day or 2 and return on the ferry.? Web site Hawaii Super Ferry .com for info ..

Not sure what to tell you - since all this depends on the length of time you plan on staying.??

Remember all travel packages are not always the best deal

we book our flight & Hotel seperate

you can expect Hawaii to be 80 degrees +, pack light, pack a extra carry on bag, remember everything is pretty casual, a couple of bathing suits & put a skirt on & the way you go. pack comfortable shoes & clothes - there's alot of walking..

I'd advise to pack snacks for your stay - Granola bars - raisins - etc. food is very expensive as your out & about..

anything else I can help you with - or when you have more secure plans let me know - I'd be happy to help.

we go to Oahu every year from Oct. 28th to Nov. 20th.

Patsy
Hope6

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Hope6 »

Patsy Warnick;1099413 wrote: Hope

Depending on what you & your Family want will determine what Island you visit.?

Island Hopping is expensive - @ $130.00 round trip per person.

Oahu - Waikiki Beach - Pearl Harbor & many other sites.

Oahu has the best transit system, city bus $2.00 ride will take you to any site

so a expensive package is unnecessary. For instance a Pearl Harbor package costs @ $36.00 a person, all it involves is a ride to Pearl Harbor. It's not a tour, since Pearl H. is Military, it's just a ride..Which is near their famous Flea Market, which is the best place to buy souveniors

City bus is $2.00 a person. You can ride the bus around the whole Island for $2.00 and go up to the North Shore, which is completely different from Waikiki Beach.

Every Corner have Magazine Racks/Books (Waikiki)- pick them up - there are many coupons inside for discounts on Eating, fun..

$2.00 will take you to the Water Life to swim with Dolphins, there really is no reason to purchase any package.

Luau is a nice experience - but a long day - pickup @ 4:00 & return @ 10:00 p.m..

something to consider with kids.?? cost @ $40.00 + a person...

several Hotel provide the Luau experience in a smaller version right at the Hotel.

Do experience a water excursion - catamaran , you'll see right on the beaches with reasonable prices $12.00 each.

take a day or 2, to relax on the beaches & make sand castles ..

Maui, you'll need to rent a car, and it has all the beauty of Oahu. alot of wealthy people/ celebs & all live there.. alot of lg residential areas. gated area's off limits to public..?

Kauai - quiet Island - beautiful lush greenery, it's called the Garden Island and it rains alot - nearly every day. Fern Groto is a beautiful site, and can only be reached by boat, I was married there once. There's a old Elvis Movie with Fern Groto in it...:) Not alot there and at the end of the road was a Restaurant Charo's and the other end of the road is a unoccupied beach with dark gray sand and alot of Sharks.

Large Island of Hawaii - I've never been, met a artist who has a gallery there - he stays on Oahu for inspiration for the scenery.

Ferry - Hawaii has a new Ferry for Island hopping - example - Oahu to Maui is @ 3 hrs and costs @ $ 52.00 each person 1-way, and leaves @ 6:30 a.m. & returns to Oahu at noon, so you'd need to plan a stay on Maui for a day or 2 and return on the ferry.? Web site Hawaii Super Ferry .com for info ..

Not sure what to tell you - since all this depends on the length of time you plan on staying.??

Remember all travel packages are not always the best deal

we book our flight & Hotel seperate

you can expect Hawaii to be 80 degrees +, pack light, pack a extra carry on bag, remember everything is pretty casual, a couple of bathing suits & put a skirt on & the way you go. pack comfortable shoes & clothes - there's alot of walking..

I'd advise to pack snacks for your stay - Granola bars - raisins - etc. food is very expensive as your out & about..

anything else I can help you with - or when you have more secure plans let me know - I'd be happy to help.

we go to Oahu every year from Oct. 28th to Nov. 20th.

Patsy

the things we know we want to do for sure are we want to go to a luau, i want to swim with some dolphins and my husband has got to see Pearl Harbor! :D
qsducks

Going to Hawaii!

Post by qsducks »

Enjoy your time with your husband & kid and don't fall into a volcano:wah:
Patsy Warnick

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Pearl Harbor - with the $2.00 bus ride @ 20 minutes

Pearl Harbor @ 2 hr visit. Your not permitted to bring in any type of bag - purse, and they'll charge to store your bag. camera's are permitted.

Pearl Harbor was emotional for me - glad I finally made the trip to see...

I'm looking at a book now - Pearl H. is $15.99 a person - don't do it.. as no one can provide the tour but Military once your there.

Flea Market is right next to Pearl Harbor . Market is only open on Wednesdays & Saturdays - huge Flea Market - you might want to combine the two in one day.

Don't be intimidated with the City Bus System - it's the best ever & the drivers are very helpful - just tell them where you want to go & they'll assist you on which bus to take etc..

I would suggest the Polynesian Culture Center - which is a package & expensive but well worth it - includes the Luau - all day visit.

check out (www.polynesia.com)- Polynesian Cultural Center Official Site - Best Luau Oahu, Hawaii.

Luau - just the luau, I'd suggest Germaine's, it's the best, highly recommended..

So, Oahu is a must.

Any definate plans yet?

I'd be happy to mail you booklets - coupons -maps etc. ??

Patsy
Odie

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Odie »

Hope6;1099638 wrote: the things we know we want to do for sure are we want to go to a luau, i want to swim with some dolphins and my husband has got to see Pearl Harbor! :D

swimming with dolphins and seeing Pearl Harbor would be a must see for us.
Nomad

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Nomad »

[quote=Hope6;1098898]Planning a trip to Hawaii in August!

Necessary reading prior to trip:

Global Epidemiology: A Geography of Disease and Sanitation

Indigenous critters to keep an eye out for:

Barracuda

Cone Snail or Shell

Coral

Jellyfish

Moray Eel

Needle Fish

Octopus

Portuguese

Man-of-War Scorpion Fish

Sea Snake

Sea Urchin

Shark

Squid

Stinging Limu

(Seaweed)

Stingray

Surgeonfish

Tube Worm

Common snakes found in Hawaiin hotels:

American Copperhead (Agkistrodon contortrix)

Bushmaster (Lachesis mutus)

Coral snake (Micrurus fulvius)

Cottonmouth (Agkistrodon piscivorus)

Fer-de-lance (Bothrops atrox)

Rattlesnake (Crotalus species)

I AM AWESOME MAN
Patsy Warnick

Going to Hawaii!

Post by Patsy Warnick »

Hope

on a serious note - Jellyfish.......

you'll want to check on a full moon prior to your trip

@ 8 days after a full moon all beach on the South side of Islands will be full of Jellyfish.

the jellyfish last for @3-4 days, no swimming - although there are still those people who will enter the waters & jellyfish sting you..

so - @8 days after a full moon, there's jellyfish, plan accordingly.

Patsy

Return to “Travel Vacation”