Iceland, Norwegian Fjords cruise

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

In late July & August I'm going on a cruise to Iceland, the Norwegian fjords, Belfast and a side trip to Scotland. We'll have several days in Iceland. Any tips on what to pack, any must-see, must-do, things?
minks

Post by minks »

Zapata;1195656 wrote: In late July & August I'm going on a cruise to Iceland, the Norwegian fjords, Belfast and a side trip to Scotland. We'll have several days in Iceland. Any tips on what to pack, any must-see, must-do, things?

Oh my that sounds awesome, do take many pictures. I hope you get some good tips from here.

Have you checked out

tripadvisor.com
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Good advice, Minks. Thanks. I'm going with my cousin who has cruised and traveled even more than I have and she's knowlegeable about London (she already has our tickets to see Phantom in the theater where it began 12 years ago) and Ireland, but she's never been to Iceland, Norway or Scotland. We're going to see St. Andrews (even if I don't play it) and in Glasgow I saw that they're having a piping contest that I'd like to see (and hear). I think she's got a tour to see a castle. But we're up for suggestions to see the best things.
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

I have been to Norway and Scotland. Not the others though, would love to go to both Iceland and Ireland - lucky you!

For Scotland I'd say take layers to wear, it can be cool in the evenings, take insect repellant just in case the midges are around! When I went to Norway it was earlier in the year than your trip so we still had snow around, it was quite chilly at times too.

Take sturdy walking shoes, a camera with lots of film or clear the memory on your digital camera, a good mix of warm weather and cold weather clothes - you'll probably get both!

When you're cruising the Ffjords make sure you spend as much time on deck as possible, you'll see the most there, views from inside are good but on deck is better. If you get motion sickness make sure you take a remedy of some sort - crossing the North Sea can get rough! We did it in a force 9 gale, but it was ok as it was going the same way as us and just pushed us on faster.

And expect to put weight on - the food on a cruise ship is fab, and non-stop!!

Above all have fun!!!!

:-6
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Oh Zapata,

That sounds like a wonderful trip. I hope that you and cousin have a fabulous time.

I'm sorry that I've never travelled to Iceland, but it looks like a fantastic place to visit. Here's a nice site to view:

Famous places to visit in Iceland,Sightseeing Tours in Iceland

My cousin travelled to Iceland and absolutely loved her visit. She visited volcanoes, ice hotels and saw the northern lights. She is not around for awhile to ask her for some suggestions....sorry....

Have a great holiday. I'll keep an eye out for things to do in Iceland.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Thanks Imladris. That's terrific info. I have my new digital camera that my daughter gave me and I know how to use it! I usually spend almost all my time on the deck, when I'm not in the dining room. (I still have dreams about the flourless chocolate cake on a Royal Caribbean ship that was totally, obscenely decadent.) I also spend some time in the gym. Got to! This cruise is on Princess and we have a balcony, so that'll be nice for the scenery. I've never gotten seasick, except once on my brother's 35' fishing boat in Alaska and that's because I was reading and taking movies of the killer whales. But I've never been in a 9 gale force wind either. In the North Sea. Boy! I'll pray for fair weather.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Gee, thanks, Kathy! That's a great link. You guys are terrific. I didn't expect to get so much good response, so quickly. Thanks so much.:)

If anybody's coming to Las Vegas or Wyoming or California I can give some good advice.
minks

Post by minks »

Zapata;1195824 wrote: Gee, thanks, Kathy! That's a great link. You guys are terrific. I didn't expect to get so much good response, so quickly. Thanks so much.:)

If anybody's coming to Las Vegas or Wyoming or California I can give some good advice.

Not yet hehehehehe I have been to Las Vegas would love to go back, Been to a few (quite a few) places in Cali, and have never been to Wyoming but would love to see the Tetons one day.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

If it's ok Zapata, I'll post some links that I think you might like about Iceland.....Tell me to stop when I become too anal about posting info:-5:wah: I tend to overdo at times:rolleyes::p

Iceland

I like the whale watch:-4
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

Zapata;1195813 wrote: Thanks Imladris. That's terrific info. I have my new digital camera that my daughter gave me and I know how to use it! I usually spend almost all my time on the deck, when I'm not in the dining room. (I still have dreams about the flourless chocolate cake on a Royal Caribbean ship that was totally, obscenely decadent.) I also spend some time in the gym. Got to! This cruise is on Princess and we have a balcony, so that'll be nice for the scenery. I've never gotten seasick, except once on my brother's 35' fishing boat in Alaska and that's because I was reading and taking movies of the killer whales. But I've never been in a 9 gale force wind either. In the North Sea. Boy! I'll pray for fair weather.

You sound very adventurous!! I've been to Alaska too, but on a cruise ship in nice calm weather :wah:

I love love love the food on cruise ships, especially the chocolate and midnight buffets........yum
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Kathy Ellen;1195851 wrote: If it's ok Zapata, I'll post some links that I think you might like about Iceland.....Tell me to stop when I become too anal about posting info:-5:wah: I tend to overdo at times:rolleyes::p

Iceland

I like the whale watch:-4

Post away, dear Kathy and thank you!
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Imladris;1196342 wrote: You sound very adventurous!! I've been to Alaska too, but on a cruise ship in nice calm weather :wah:

I love love love the food on cruise ships, especially the chocolate and midnight buffets........yum

Isn't it wonderful? Every cruise line I've been on had excellent food, except for one. And everything about that ship was horrid except for the help. A worker even fell overboard when we were docking in New Orleans. He wasn't hurt but it took them about 45 minutes to fish him out. Of course that wasn't the fault of the ship but the bad food was their fault!

Return to “Travel Vacation”