Where is your favourite holiday place, and why ?

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

As a child I used to go on holiday regularly, to Bexhill-on-Sea in Sussex, England. My grandmother lived there and she used to rent a beach hut for us. We were able to stay for 3 or more weeks, and it was wonderful ! I have brilliantly fond memories of that place. It has changed now, with new build all over the town and my grandmother's house has been knocked down and a 'care home' is on the site of her house. I know all this because my older brother called at the town about 15 years ago, and it also shows up on Google Earth !

I'm not sure that I want to go back to the town (I have never returned there since my grandmother moved nearer to where we lived, in the late 1960's ).
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I go to the beach every year, it is a 2 hour drive. It is nice just to go away, listen to the waves, surf sometimes (but not this year there was a big hammerhead swimming around, a curiosity for news and life guards alike so people got chased out of the water quite often)

I like the peace and quiet, after a long school year.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

I too love the sea, and have always felt that I hadn't been on a holiday if I hadn't sat on the sand listening to the gentle splash as the waves finger their way up the beach, and the oh so familiar seaside call of the seagulls. It is so peaceful and relaxing, and a wonderful way to re-charge your batteries and 'chill'.

It sounds so useful, Chonsi, you being only 2 hours from your seaside ! We are just over 3 hours away from ours :)
Bruv

Post by Bruv »

Childhood holidays?

Born and bred in South East London we used to travel down to The Isle of Sheppey stopping at Leysdown.

My father had a second hand van, loaded with our camping gear for a long term stay, at that time we stayed for the school summer holidays, while my father returned to London to work as a Turncock on the Metropolitan Water Board. We were three brothers and all reckoned he dug holes for a living,embarrassingly, because if we ever saw him him at work he was always knee deep in mud,clay and water.

Sheppey was flat and full of sheep and canals, forget the name of the campsite but it was near Warden Bay holiday park (It might have been there we stayed) I remember cockling, digging in the sand at low tide to uncover the little shelled creatures, after soaking in salty water, my father boiled them in a bucket, so we could eat them with salt and vinegar for tea.

The meal I remember was when he used to bring down home bred young roast rabbit, when the money was running out, because he would normally grow them bigger before eating them.

The other memory was seeing my non drinking father drunk after a few beers, drunk and unwell, and our visiting relatives trying to hide that from us young boys.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
spot

Post by spot »

I quite like St Ives. It has a sandy beach or two, it has a couple of suitable cafes and a pub and it's a half hour on the open-top bus.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Snowfire

Post by Snowfire »

Bruv;1483292 wrote: Childhood holidays?

Born and bred in South East London we used to travel down to The Isle of Sheppey stopping at Leysdown.

My father had a second hand van, loaded with our camping gear for a long term stay, at that time we stayed for the school summer holidays, while my father returned to London to work as a Turncock on the Metropolitan Water Board. We were three brothers and all reckoned he dug holes for a living,embarrassingly, because if we ever saw him him at work he was always knee deep in mud,clay and water.

Sheppey was flat and full of sheep and canals, forget the name of the campsite but it was near Warden Bay holiday park (It might have been there we stayed) I remember cockling, digging in the sand at low tide to uncover the little shelled creatures, after soaking in salty water, my father boiled them in a bucket, so we could eat them with salt and vinegar for tea.

The meal I remember was when he used to bring down home bred young roast rabbit, when the money was running out, because he would normally grow them bigger before eating them.

The other memory was seeing my non drinking father drunk after a few beers, drunk and unwell, and our visiting relatives trying to hide that from us young boys.

Leysdown was my childhood holiday destination, apart from a couple of weeks in Butlins, Clacton. We stayed in a chalet and have a vivid memory of my dad chasing my kite down the green. I rember mum and dad getting pease pudding and faggots from a van.

I took my wife there one Sunday. It wasn't how I remember, dirty and scruffy. I had to promise her I'd never take her there again.

We go to Rye on the Sussex coast a lot for weekends away. Our best family holiday was in Devon a couple of years ago. Kids, grand kids. All of us. Perfect !
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Post by spot »

I spent a holiday on The Wash once, some few miles from Hunstanton, and it was extremely rural. My word it was rural. And wet. Wet from above, wet to the sides and most of all wet beneath. A remarkable and memorable holiday.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1483308 wrote: I spent a holiday on The Wash once, some few miles from Hunstanton, and it was extremely rural. My word it was rural. And wet. Wet from above, wet to the sides and most of all wet beneath. A remarkable and memorable holiday.

But Mr. spot, you really shouldn't have pitched your tent on a sand bar in The Wash - you were bound to be inundated by the incoming tide and consequently 'wet beneath' ! Glad you had such a good holiday though ! Norfolk is one of my favourite counties, and it is not as flat as some people make out ! I believe it is the most tree covered county in England as well.
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

I think Mars might rank quite highly for me! I would love to see Olympus Mons "in the flesh"...

Unlikely though!:wah:
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Smaug;1483375 wrote: I think Mars might rank quite highly for me! I would love to see Olympus Mons "in the flesh"...

Unlikely though!:wah:

Let me know if you manage to get passage and I'll tag along. Meanwhile, I'll stick to national parks and famous sites, where I've always loved to take the kids and grands, for the obvious beauty and educational value. Now I've included the beach at Santa Cruz, Capitola and Perdido Key, FL., for the seafood, music and Family!
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

My all-time favorite has to be the Boothbay Harbor region of Maine.

People are friendly, and the Lobstah Stew is abundant.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

LarsMac;1483399 wrote: My all-time favorite has to be the Boothbay Harbor region of Maine.

People are friendly, and the Lobstah Stew is abundant.

I love Lobster Everything in Maine!
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

ZAP;1483396 wrote: Let me know if you manage to get passage and I'll tag along. Meanwhile, I'll stick to national parks and famous sites, where I've always loved to take the kids and grands, for the obvious beauty and educational value. Now I've included the beach at Santa Cruz, Capitola and Perdido Key, FL., for the seafood, music and Family!

You seem to be well travelled, Zap. I'll see if I can book a couple of seats on the next Mars flight, but I'll have to Planet first....
" To finish first, first you have to finish!" Rick Mears. 4x Winner Indy 500. 3x Indycar National Champion.
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Smaug;1483429 wrote: You seem to be well travelled, Zap. I'll see if I can book a couple of seats on the next Mars flight, but I'll have to Planet first....

lol! tee hee. Please see that you do. :wah:
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

We always went to Whitecliffe Bay, on the Isle of Wight.
Queenie2

Post by Queenie2 »

i like Japan and Florence =)

Wana go there again

[link removed by moderator]
Dianalas

Post by Dianalas »

I really liked the Czech Republic. Small streets, cozy cafes, delicious beer. Particularly impressed by the tour of Mystical Prague.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Dianalas;1521369 wrote: I really liked the Czech Republic. Small streets, cozy cafes, delicious beer. Particularly impressed by the tour of Mystical Prague.

Prague was good, slightly spoilt by that stag and hen parties but a beautiful city.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Ensenada, Mexico
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
FourPart

Post by FourPart »

I already have the beach outside my window.
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

chocoholic

Post by chocoholic »

As children we always holidayed in either Tenby or Great Yarmouth, both lovely but very different.

These days my choice is always Cornwall, can't beat its' beautiful coastline and sea colour but also inland has lovely views and places to visit.

Next year trying Scotland (near Inverness) for a complete change of scenery (and temperature!)
High Threshold

Post by High Threshold »

Sounds lovely.

Return to “Travel Vacation”