Bulgaria

Been on a great vacation or location recently? Share with us your travels, your tips, great places to stay, and whatever else you can think of.
Betty Boop

Bulgaria

Post by Betty Boop »

Headed there in 15 days time, staying near Sunny beach but not right on it.

Anyone else been to Bulgaria? Any tips?
chonsigirl

Bulgaria

Post by chonsigirl »

Sounds like an interesting trip, I hope you have a great time.
spot

Bulgaria

Post by spot »

To be honest, I don't think I could locate Bulgaria on a map unless I caught a glimpse of the word. I'm not at all sure I know its capital - Bratislava? Budapest? - or what coastline it shares. The Black Sea? I don't know who used to run the place, except it can't have been Tito or Enver Hoxha because I know what countries they ran. I don't even know what period The Bulgars lived there or whether they still do. I am rarely this uninformed.

Bratislava is the capital of Slovakia, Google tells me.

Budapest is the capital of Hungary.

The Bulgars were semi-nomadic warrior tribes of Turkic extraction who flourished in the Pontic-Caspian steppe and the Volga region in the 7th century AD.

I may have to stop tiptoeing around and just look it up but I don't want to.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bruv

Bulgaria

Post by Bruv »

I don't think you are being very helpful Spot.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
LarsMac

Bulgaria

Post by LarsMac »

Well, I at least know that the capital is Sofia. They have nice beaches, I have been told.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Bulgaria

Post by Betty Boop »

LarsMac;1483839 wrote: Well, I at least know that the capital is Sofia. They have nice beaches, I have been told.

I was just about to inform him of the capital being Sofia, but that is the other side of Bulgaria to where we are headed.

This is the sort of holiday that is more suited to my 13 year old daughter than to me. Lots of beaches, swimming pools etc. We will visit Bourgas and Nessebar or I will go stir crazy staying by the pool all the time. Just wondered if anyone had any ideas of good places to visit whilst there. From what I understand Sunny Beach is very touristy.
Mark Aspam

Bulgaria

Post by Mark Aspam »

Haven't been there but know people who have and no complaints. The daughter of one casual acquaintance moved there, loves the place, and has a good job at a hospital.

Cartoonist Robert Crumb visited Bulgaria quite a few years ago and drew a graphic commentary of his experiences there. Can't remember in which publication I read it but it is probably available in a Crumb hardcover collection, maybe at your library - still - that was quite a while ago. I do remember his opening line:

"Arrived in Sofia at midnight - finding a cab was a real bitch."
JuliaFord

Bulgaria

Post by JuliaFord »

My friends spent their summer vacation in Bulgaria, in Verna and they really enjoy their trip. Would love to have trip there.
Wordpress Plugin-Free Online Games
anngriffin

Bulgaria

Post by anngriffin »

I really like Bulgaria... Amazing country with amazing nature and people!
Hi to everybody here
tazzy

Bulgaria

Post by tazzy »

have a great time
Betty Boop

Bulgaria

Post by Betty Boop »

that was almost three years ago Tazzy lol it was a hard work place, the people working at our complex were all miserable bar one guy :wah: it's not a place I'd return to in a hurry as it was also difficult to find gluten free foods so I lost half a stone and survived on Bounty Bars.
Dianalas

Bulgaria

Post by Dianalas »

I have been to Bulgaria just once. Of the benefits of beautiful nature, good beaches and cheap hotels.
Betty Boop

Bulgaria

Post by Betty Boop »

Dianalas;1521370 wrote: I have been to Bulgaria just once. Of the benefits of beautiful nature, good beaches and cheap hotels.

and full of drunk Brits, embarrassingly.
High Threshold

Bulgaria

Post by High Threshold »

Betty Boop;1483821 wrote: Headed there in 15 days time, staying near Sunny beach but not right on it.

Anyone else been to Bulgaria? Any tips?

And what are your impressons?

We've been the last 4 years to Sunny Beach and have no wish to break the trend. I find the closer to Flower Street the better and the further towards and including Sveti Vlas is lacking. But one needs to be particular in chosing the hotel and/or what side of it you want your room. This summer we stayed at the Kalina Garden Hotel (MPM, not the one near the 24-hour night club) and it was the best experience so far.
High Threshold

Bulgaria

Post by High Threshold »

Betty Boop;1521372 wrote: and full of drunk Brits, embarrassingly.
You noticed. "Drunk" hardly describes it. Thoroughly saturated is a clearer picture.
spot

Bulgaria

Post by spot »

High Threshold;1525044 wrote: You noticed. "Drunk" hardly describes it. Thoroughly saturated is a clearer picture.

Welcome back, I'm pleased to see you again.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
High Threshold

Bulgaria

Post by High Threshold »

spot;1525048 wrote: Welcome back, I'm pleased to see you again.
Thank you very much!
Betty Boop

Bulgaria

Post by Betty Boop »

High Threshold;1525043 wrote: And what are your impressons?

We've been the last 4 years to Sunny Beach and have no wish to break the trend. I find the closer to Flower Street the better and the further towards and including Sveti Vlas is lacking. But one needs to be particular in chosing the hotel and/or what side of it you want your room. This summer we stayed at the Kalina Garden Hotel (MPM, not the one near the 24-hour night club) and it was the best experience so far.

I really didn't enjoy the place lol we were in a hotel along the top, so above Sunny Beach opposite a big supermarket between there and Sveti Vlas. I much preferred wandering around Sveti and the other place the other side of Sunny Beach than Sunny Beach itself. Far too touristy for me.

Northern Teneriefe was wonderful and I like mainland Spain. Mostly because it's so easy for celiacs out there.
High Threshold

Bulgaria

Post by High Threshold »

Betty Boop;1525071 wrote: I really didn't enjoy the place lol we were in a hotel along the top, so above Sunny Beach opposite a big supermarket between there and Sveti Vlas. I much preferred wandering around Sveti and the other place the other side of Sunny Beach than Sunny Beach itself. Far too touristy for me.

Northern Teneriefe was wonderful and I like mainland Spain. Mostly because it's so easy for celiacs out there.

There's no denying Sunny Beach is a party town. We are not party-goers but like seeing people enjoying themselves, drunks notwithstanding. I always scrutinize the location of the hotel (on Google maps) beforehand and whether I can have a room on the quiet side. In the 4 years we've been going to Sunny Beach we've never been disturbed. Maybe it's down to luck? I am an early riser and often leave my family sleeping while I take a stroll about 5 or 6-ish. How many times I have pointed the direction for inebriated Brits who have lost their way back to their hotel. On a couple of occasions they've ask, ”Can you tell me the way to my hotel?” And the name of it? They don't remember. It is good to know you've found peace in Spain and Tenerife!
Betty Boop

Bulgaria

Post by Betty Boop »

High Threshold;1525097 wrote: There's no denying Sunny Beach is a party town. We are not party-goers but like seeing people enjoying themselves, drunks notwithstanding. I always scrutinize the location of the hotel (on Google maps) beforehand and whether I can have a room on the quiet side. In the 4 years we've been going to Sunny Beach we've never been disturbed. Maybe it's down to luck? I am an early riser and often leave my family sleeping while I take a stroll about 5 or 6-ish. How many times I have pointed the direction for inebriated Brits who have lost their way back to their hotel. On a couple of occasions they've ask, ”Can you tell me the way to my hotel?” And the name of it? They don't remember. It is good to know you've found peace in Spain and Tenerife!

I'm embarrassed to be British a lot of the time. Nessebar, remembered the name of the place, it was really nice down there and the one place I could eat cake as they understood wheat and gluten free.
High Threshold

Bulgaria

Post by High Threshold »

Betty Boop;1525119 wrote: I'm embarrassed to be British a lot of the time. Nessebar, remembered the name of the place, it was really nice down there and the one place I could eat cake as they understood wheat and gluten free.
I don't know why it is that it's the Brits who drink till they are unconscious. There must be a logical explanation for it. Yes, Nessebar is nice. We took the Lotto train there for a stroll this last time. I think there may be hotels there as well but I'm not sure. I would have thought glutten free would be well established just about everywhere. Not so?
Betty Boop

Bulgaria

Post by Betty Boop »

High Threshold;1525127 wrote: I don't know why it is that it's the Brits who drink till they are unconscious. There must be a logical explanation for it. Yes, Nessebar is nice. We took the Lotto train there for a stroll this last time. I think there may be hotels there as well but I'm not sure. I would have thought glutten free would be well established just about everywhere. Not so?

Not in Sunny Beach lol It's a few years since I went and I lost half a stone. Maybe it's time for a trip back!

There are hotels in Nessebar but not sure they have the same facilities ie balconies and swimming pools as sunny beach. Some are advertised as Nessebar as I recall dropping people off on our transfer bus but they are just at the end of Sunny Beach, they weren't right out where the land train takes you.

I'm a member of a cealiacs eat out abroad page on Facebook and it seems it isn't much better out there at all. Unless you go all inclusive and pick a branded hotel that are known to provide gluten free options well. It's not just about providing the choice either, we need to be somewhere where all the staff understand the risks of cross contamination too.

Best places are Spain and Italy, it's just treated as normal there. I can even eat McDonalds in those countries (its a treat to be able to just grab fast food with your family and go)
High Threshold

Bulgaria

Post by High Threshold »

Betty Boop;1525128 wrote: Not in Sunny Beach lol It's a few years since I went and I lost half a stone. Maybe it's time for a trip back!

There are hotels in Nessebar but not sure they have the same facilities ie balconies and swimming pools as sunny beach. Some are advertised as Nessebar as I recall dropping people off on our transfer bus but they are just at the end of Sunny Beach, they weren't right out where the land train takes you.

I'm a member of a cealiacs eat out abroad page on Facebook and it seems it isn't much better out there at all. Unless you go all inclusive and pick a branded hotel that are known to provide gluten free options well. It's not just about providing the choice either, we need to be somewhere where all the staff understand the risks of cross contamination too.

Best places are Spain and Italy, it's just treated as normal there. I can even eat McDonalds in those countries (its a treat to be able to just grab fast food with your family and go)

I understand now how important it must be that the hotel staff are aware of contamination risks. That is to say that I understand it now that you've just told me. LOL. I suppose you've seen this:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants ... vince.html

… and this is no help at all:

https://www.schaer.com/en-int/otg/c/bul ... word=Hotel

I guess you'll be holidaying in Spain and be done with it. :)
Betty Boop

Bulgaria

Post by Betty Boop »

High Threshold;1525140 wrote: I understand now how important it must be that the hotel staff are aware of contamination risks. That is to say that I understand it now that you've just told me. LOL. I suppose you've seen this:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurants ... vince.html

… and this is no help at all:

https://www.schaer.com/en-int/otg/c/bul ... word=Hotel

I guess you'll be holidaying in Spain and be done with it. :)

Well the amount of places on your search there has improved vastly from when I was there!! There were a lot less back then. I do spend a while checking things out before I book, not only with that kind of search but then I read all the reviews and weed out all the places that made people ill.

Brugges was beautiful but a bit of a struggle too and when you are with your children its a nightmare dragging them round whilst they moan just so you can eat.

Think that's why I then opt for Spain or Italy, it's just easier.
High Threshold

Bulgaria

Post by High Threshold »

Betty Boop;1525141 wrote: Well the amount of places on your search there has improved vastly from when I was there!! There were a lot less back then. I do spend a while checking things out before I book, not only with that kind of search but then I read all the reviews and weed out all the places that made people ill.

Brugges was beautiful but a bit of a struggle too and when you are with your children its a nightmare dragging them round whilst they moan just so you can eat.

Think that's why I then opt for Spain or Italy, it's just easier.

Not to worry you but I wonder if you've seen this?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... bulgarian/

And by the way, why is it that I am not getting any e-post notifications when you (or anyone else) replies to my subscribed threads? If I didn't specifically seek out this one I'd never have known you replied. I've ticked all the right boxes to no avail. I do get e-post notification from the managment but not from fellow members. Very curious.
Betty Boop

Bulgaria

Post by Betty Boop »

High Threshold;1525150 wrote: Not to worry you but I wonder if you've seen this?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/0 ... bulgarian/

And by the way, why is it that I am not getting any e-post notifications when you (or anyone else) replies to my subscribed threads? If I didn't specifically seek out this one I'd never have known you replied. I've ticked all the right boxes to no avail. I do get e-post notification from the managment but not from fellow members. Very curious.

Gosh that poor family, no I'd not seen that.

No idea on emails, I don't get any at all as switched them off
High Threshold

Bulgaria

Post by High Threshold »

Betty Boop;1525168 wrote: Gosh that poor family, no I'd not seen that.
We'd be better off if we hadn't.

Betty Boop;1525168 wrote: No idea on emails, I don't get any at all as switched them off
Oh dear.

Return to “Travel Vacation”