Pre-school instruments

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

No, not anything percussive, it has to be civilized.

What can pre-school children get a tune out of? I have a 10-hole blues harmonica but I'm not convinced she'd be socially acceptable with that. I've a very small swannee whistle which I have high hopes for. I've a four-hole ocarina which I think's my best bet. has anyone any experience they can pass on before I make my mind up?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chezzie

Pre-school instruments

Post by Chezzie »

spot;1068882 wrote: No, not anything percussive, it has to be civilized.

What can pre-school children get a tune out of? I have a 10-hole blues harmonica but I'm not convinced she'd be socially acceptable with that. I've a very small swannee whistle which I have high hopes for. I've a four-hole ocarina which I think's my best bet. has anyone any experience they can pass on before I make my mind up?

A recorder?

Triangle?
spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

Chezzie;1068886 wrote: A recorder?

Triangle?

Triangles sound a touch percussive to me.

I'll look for a short recorder. Each of her hands has a span of two inches. A hyper-piccolo?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Chezzie

Pre-school instruments

Post by Chezzie »

spot;1068887 wrote: Triangles sound a touch percussive to me.

I'll look for a short recorder. Each of her hands has a span of two inches. A hyper-piccolo?

ELC UK Toy Shop - Children's musical instruments - Early Learning Centre

Recorders for 3-6 yrs
spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

Well done Chez, that's a good page. A full collection of all those would drive a parent to drink.
chonsigirl

Pre-school instruments

Post by chonsigirl »

Do they have any musical preference? Do you want them to learn to read music eventually? (if they want a particular instrument, let them try it)

Small keyboard. Nothing starts a musician off better than being able to read piano music, everything else is easy after that.

Recorder. (if they have no preference, a fun instrument at any age)

Violin. (perfect age to start)

Probably not any real woodwind until 7-10, but the recorder is a nice start.
Tan

Pre-school instruments

Post by Tan »

You can buy a recorder at dollar stores now in a small size. Thats a pretty basic, and accepted instrument.

Good luck!
Tan
spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

Thank you Tan, I'll take her into a few shops and try her on them for size.

Thank you Chonsi, yes she'll undoubtedly learn staff notation once she's learnt to read but arguably reading words might come first - I don't say that with any conviction, mind. She definitely has musical preferences, anything between Stravinsky and Shostakovich makes her wet herself in excitement, but she hasn't the words yet to nominate an instrument.

The violin's on her list but as yet she has no chin.

The only instrument she's made progress with so far is the piano, she's self-expressive on that.
Oscar Namechange

Pre-school instruments

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Surely, the most important question here is.......... what would SHE like to learn to play??
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Pre-school instruments

oscar;1068917 wrote: Surely, the most important question here is.......... what would SHE like to learn to play??

Although thinking back...... I remember the look when i announced to dad that i wanted to play a saxaphone.:wah:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
chonsigirl

Pre-school instruments

Post by chonsigirl »

Did you get to learn the saxophone, oscar?
spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

oscar;1068917 wrote: Surely, the most important question here is.......... what would SHE like to learn to play??

When her vocabulary increases beyond "Dog!", "Bird!", "Give!" and "Put Me Down!" I'll ask her.
Chezzie

Pre-school instruments

Post by Chezzie »

My 9 year old starts Violin lessons at school tomorrow, she is so excited....Im not a lover of the violin however:-3
Oscar Namechange

Pre-school instruments

chonsigirl;1068924 wrote: Did you get to learn the saxophone, oscar?

No, i got a bloody recorder instead. But later in life i did go on to learn the bass guitar. Not as good as my hero 'Jean Jaques Burnel' of the Stranglers' of course but i can do a pretty mean intro to 'No More Heroe's. :yh_rotfl
Lon

Pre-school instruments

Post by Lon »

Don't knock the harmonica Spot. I have played for 70 years and own 11 of them. I play classical, pop, jazz & blues. Started at age 4 driving everyone crazy as I struggled to play "Home On The Range", which took me a full 6 months to master. I then found the second tune "Red River Valley" much easier. From that point on I found that I could learn most simple songs just by ear and more difficult ones with practice. Forget the 10 hole blues harmonica and just get the standard harmonica for the child. The harmonica is very portable and have given me many hours of enjoyment and hopefully to others as well.

I suggest the smaller harmonica for beginners. The larger is one that I play.

Attached files
CARLA

Pre-school instruments

Post by CARLA »

Tambourine, castanets, bongo drum we always fun making noise with them. :guitarist
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

I'm coming to the view that you've got the right answer there Lon.

Do they make mutes for harmonicas?

Carla, I so want to avoid hitting-things! They'll be fine once she's grown!
CARLA

Pre-school instruments

Post by CARLA »

I understand but they love the castanets they are just clanking things. :wah:

I have harmonica that I have had since I was a kid as well. I'm not as good as LON but love the sound of a harmonica. ;)

[QUOTE]Carla, I so want to avoid hitting-things! They'll be fine once she's grown![/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

CARLA;1068975 wrote: I have harmonica that I have had since I was a kid as well. I'm not as good as LON but love the sound of a harmonica. ;)I bet you sit around campfires eating beans as well.
chonsigirl

Pre-school instruments

Post by chonsigirl »

Well, maybe a pair of ear plugs for you and a drum set for the musician................:wah:
spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

chonsigirl;1068978 wrote: Well, maybe a pair of ear plugs for you and a drum set for the musician................:wah:

That was about the campfire beans??
Bryn Mawr

Pre-school instruments

Post by Bryn Mawr »

What's wrong with a penny whistle? Far easier than a recorder and, if you get one in G, her fingers might even reach.
Oscar Namechange

Pre-school instruments

Bryn Mawr;1068991 wrote: What's wrong with a penny whistle? Far easier than a recorder and, if you get one in G, her fingers might even reach.

Do thry still make them Bryn?
spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1068991 wrote: What's wrong with a penny whistle? Far easier than a recorder and, if you get one in G, her fingers might even reach.

The pendant ocarina's end-blown over a fipple too, you know, and all the holes are within an inch of each other.
CARLA

Pre-school instruments

Post by CARLA »

You bet that's where I learned to play the Harmonica around the campfire as a "

Girl Scout", and we were camping fools as kids. My parents took us to every parks in California. :-6

[QUOTE]Quote:

Originally Posted by CARLA

I have harmonica that I have had since I was a kid as well. I'm not as good as LON but love the sound of a harmonica.

Spot Posted: I bet you sit around campfires eating beans as well.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

Bryn Mawr

Pre-school instruments

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1068994 wrote: Do thry still make them Bryn?

I have several - just wish I could play them better :-)

ETA :-

http://www.hmtrad.com/catalog/winds/whistles.html

I prefer the Shaw's to the Clark's but the Sweettone are probably easier to play.
Oscar Namechange

Pre-school instruments

Can she play the spoons Spot? Very Inexpensive
spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

oscar;1069013 wrote: Can she play the spoons Spot? Very Inexpensive

I've only ever seen one chap who could do that adequately, he used to sit in on session evenings at the local pubs. Quite an unremarkable chap until he started playing them. He occasionally appeared on TV when a program wanted to demonstrate how odd the world could be.
Oscar Namechange

Pre-school instruments

spot;1069015 wrote: I've only ever seen one chap who could do that adequately, he used to sit in on session evenings at the local pubs. Quite an unremarkable chap until he started playing them. He occasionally appeared on TV when a program wanted to demonstrate how odd the world could be.

To be of any use, may i ask the age of the little one?
spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

oscar;1069016 wrote: To be of any use, may i ask the age of the little one?

Fourteen months, I think. And a couple of weeks.
Bryn Mawr

Pre-school instruments

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1069015 wrote: I've only ever seen one chap who could do that adequately, he used to sit in on session evenings at the local pubs. Quite an unremarkable chap until he started playing them. He occasionally appeared on TV when a program wanted to demonstrate how odd the world could be.

Was that Len the Bonesman? I've seen him a couple of times round the festivals and he's awesome.
Oscar Namechange

Pre-school instruments

spot;1069020 wrote: Fourteen months, I think. And a couple of weeks.

Perfect for banging things. Seriously, Drums, tambourine's etc are great for eye and hand co-ordination.
spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

Bryn Mawr;1069021 wrote: Was that Len the Bonesman? I've seen him a couple of times round the festivals and he's awesome.That's him, I enjoyed seeing him play. It's disconcerting in a pub session to have someone like that suddenly take the lead for a verse or two, you sort of wonder afterwards whether you dreamed it.

oscar;1069022 wrote: Perfect for banging things. Seriously, Drums, tambourine's etc are great for eye and hand co-ordination.Her mother would never speak to me again, honestly.
Oscar Namechange

Pre-school instruments

spot;1069029 wrote:

Her mother would never speak to me again, honestly.

Nor did my brother and his wife, oh, and his in-laws as well, when i gave their 3 yr old a fine set of drums. he loved them though. :-6
Oscar Namechange

Pre-school instruments

spot;1069029 wrote: That's him, I enjoyed seeing him play. It's disconcerting in a pub session to have someone like that suddenly take the lead for a verse or two, you sort of wonder afterwards whether you dreamed it.

Her mother would never speak to me again, honestly.

Do you have a piano in the house? Kids in our family, even very young have enjoyed a good plonk. One went on to have proffessional tuition and is rather good.
spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

If I knew how to whistle I'd do exactly that. I can blow and I can suck but all that happens is I end up dribbling.

Pre-school instruments

Post by 911 »

Maybe to get her used to different notes to begin with, one of those wind instrument things with the steel thingy you pull at the end to make different notes. Ya know what I mean? They make all the funny noises in the cartoons.

I had one as a kid, it was fun but I could only play it outside :-5
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

911;1070280 wrote: Maybe to get her used to different notes to begin with, one of those wind instrument things with the steel thingy you pull at the end to make different notes. Ya know what I mean? They make all the funny noises in the cartoons.

I had one as a kid, it was fun but I could only play it outside :-5

That's the "very small swannee whistle which I have high hopes for", it's the right length for her and it's impossible to miss a note in passing, even if only briefly. I'm glad you enjoyed yours.
Snowfire

Pre-school instruments

Post by Snowfire »

Spot. I want to know if the wee one has had sufficient lessons to play alongside Paul Jones in the Blues Band, now she can get both hands around a harmonica.

Does she get your feet tapping ?
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

The concept of melody so far escapes her. She manages to keep time if I drum a rhythm. She's inept at sucking and she's better with the Swannee whistle than either the Ocarina or the Harmonica but she can keep in step with all three. She's accepted Bob Dylan as her personal saviour.
Snowfire

Pre-school instruments

Post by Snowfire »

We have a couple of these at home, brought back from my time in Zimbabwe. They're easy to play and good fun

Attached files

Winston Churchill
spot

Pre-school instruments

Post by spot »

How do you plug that into the mains?
Snowfire

Pre-school instruments

Post by Snowfire »

spot;1166323 wrote: How do you plug that into the mains?

Hasnt your ipod dock an auxiliary socket

Winston Churchill

Return to “Music”