Calling all stranglers fans

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

oscar;1071494 wrote: THANKS FOR DOING THAT FOR ME LUDWIG. IT'S VERY LATE SO I AM OFF TO BED. i WILL CONTINUE TOMORROW NIGHT. I WILL LOOK FORWARD TO IT.

SLEEP TIGHT. OSCAR

Hi Ludwig, i will be home from work late tonight but will answer your post then. Look forward to it. :guitarist:guitarist
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Hi Ludwig, sorry to take so long to get back to you but a turkish pal has given me that quaint old turkish christmas custom gift... the flu.

I hope to feel better tonight an tell you about the first time i met the guys and got to snog J.J. Burnel for the first time!!!!!!!:guitarist:guitarist
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Oscar Namechange

Ludwig Van B;1071380 wrote: Hi Oscar

thanks for replying

it's pretty hard giving a top 10 of stranglers tracks when there are so many to choose from but i think i should give it a go

1) sewer (just an awesome track which says everything about them)

2) something better change ( full of energy and menace)

3) grip ( mesmerising, and started it all off)

4) toiler ( so technical)

5) the raven ( a brilliant piece of music, setting out their stall,so to speak)

6) i feel like a wog (great tune with some contraverial lyrics at that time )

7) peaches (one of the most famous)

8) Baroque Bordello (typically weird)

9) tank ( an epic)

10) burning up time (great bass line)

Your first gig was at Battersea.wow. What do you remember of that day, it must have been amazing , did you live in London at that time?, have you ever met the band? do you know other huge strangler fans like you (see, i told you i was an anorak/hahah

Ludwig

You named an epic line up there and brilliant choices but then, they are all brilliant.

The first gig i saw, as i said was Battersea Park. I think it was around 1978 if my memory serves me correct. I was blown away by the music but being brought up conservative, i was at first out-raged when the strippers came on. It was totally unexpected but i remember some group of women protesting at the time. I remember the extended version of 'nice n sleezy' they played which was awesome. my brother was a happy man that day!!!

The first time i met them was around 1987. The Stranglers were part of a Jazz Festval in 'General De Gualle Square' in 'Nance' in France. We had been to Paris and 'Lyon' gigs but the Nance one was a disaster from the begginning. We were only young and had run out of money early on into the tour which meant hitch hiking down to 'Nance'. We started the day before to get there in plenty of time and the first truck stopped for us and the driver was called 'Didea'. He was going straight to 'Nance' and although he had to stop here and there because of his tacagraph, we got there about 7 in the evening. We must have spent two hours trawling round every cheap hotel only to find they were booked solid. It was bitterly cold and we were not dressed for the cold just the usually leather jacket and Doc martin's.

In the end we had no choice but to find the local railway station and try to get some sleep in there. This was shared with about 4 wino's who could speak no English than to keep repeating 'Magaret Thatcher' every five minutes at us. They had several bottles of whisky which they offered to us through-out the night. It at least kept the cold out. Every hour, the gendiens (french police) would burst in shouting 'passport passport', so even if we managed any sleep on those hard benches, we were soon woken up.

The following day we went down to the site to find not a hall but a large marquee inside a park complete with zoo. If i remember right, the Stranglers were at Number one in France with 'Always the sun', later voted 'song of the year'.

We thought it strange as there seemed to be no ticket touts and as the day wore on, we could not get tickets anywhere. My brother finally decided he'd look for the tourist imfo board to see if they knew where we could get some and i stayed sitting on the grass in the park on my own. By now other British fans were arriving and i saw the band arrive in a red Limo. I couldn't believe we'd gone all that way and had no tickets. Finally a guy called Martin came over and asked if i had a light. When i gave him my lighter he said he was so relieved to speak to some-one English and asked what i was doing sitting outside on the grass all on my own. When i told him, he gave me two back stage passess and invited me in to hear the Stranglers warming up. My brother eventually came back almost in tears as he couldn't find a ticket anywhere in the town. I led him along for a while and the asked if he wanted to come into the marquee to hear them warm up. Of course, he thought i was winding him up. That was amazing, we were usually one of hundreds if not thousands, so to be sitting there with only crew and a handfull of people watching them, was amazing.

They left shortly after and we were asked by the lighting guys if we wanted to hang out and have something to eat. We ate Jet Black's curry.

2Nd part later.
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

hi oscar

very much looking forward to part 2, it really is a .facinating sory......400 gigs, that really is amazing.i need to know more...:) i have sooooo many questions for you (i did warn you that i was a stranglers anorak.hahah)

how's your flu?

ludwig
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

hi oscar

i really do hope that you survived the dreaded turkish flu bug???

part one was fabuloso....

although i would have loved a lot more detail about your whole day at battersea pk as i have never met anyone who was there, how did you get there?, what other things did you see there? did you buy any merchandise?? were there other bands to see on the day any memorable special effects ?(etc, etc)

part 2 is awaited with baited breath, just gotta know what Jet blacks curry was like down in Nance??????:yh_think:yh_think

hope your ok

Ludwig
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

oscar;1073696 wrote: You named an epic line up there and brilliant choices but then, they are all brilliant.

The first gig i saw, as i said was Battersea Park. I think it was around 1978 if my memory serves me correct. I was blown away by the music but being brought up conservative, i was at first out-raged when the strippers came on. It was totally unexpected but i remember some group of women protesting at the time. I remember the extended version of 'nice n sleezy' they played which was awesome. my brother was a happy man that day!!!

The first time i met them was around 1987. The Stranglers were part of a Jazz Festval in 'General De Gualle Square' in 'Nance' in France. We had been to Paris and 'Lyon' gigs but the Nance one was a disaster from the begginning. We were only young and had run out of money early on into the tour which meant hitch hiking down to 'Nance'. We started the day before to get there in plenty of time and the first truck stopped for us and the driver was called 'Didea'. He was going straight to 'Nance' and although he had to stop here and there because of his tacagraph, we got there about 7 in the evening. We must have spent two hours trawling round every cheap hotel only to find they were booked solid. It was bitterly cold and we were not dressed for the cold just the usually leather jacket and Doc martin's.

In the end we had no choice but to find the local railway station and try to get some sleep in there. This was shared with about 4 wino's who could speak no English than to keep repeating 'Magaret Thatcher' every five minutes at us. They had several bottles of whisky which they offered to us through-out the night. It at least kept the cold out. Every hour, the gendiens (french police) would burst in shouting 'passport passport', so even if we managed any sleep on those hard benches, we were soon woken up.

The following day we went down to the site to find not a hall but a large marquee inside a park complete with zoo. If i remember right, the Stranglers were at Number one in France with 'Always the sun', later voted 'song of the year'.

We thought it strange as there seemed to be no ticket touts and as the day wore on, we could not get tickets anywhere. My brother finally decided he'd look for the tourist imfo board to see if they knew where we could get some and i stayed sitting on the grass in the park on my own. By now other British fans were arriving and i saw the band arrive in a red Limo. I couldn't believe we'd gone all that way and had no tickets. Finally a guy called Martin came over and asked if i had a light. When i gave him my lighter he said he was so relieved to speak to some-one English and asked what i was doing sitting outside on the grass all on my own. When i told him, he gave me two back stage passess and invited me in to hear the Stranglers warming up. My brother eventually came back almost in tears as he couldn't find a ticket anywhere in the town. I led him along for a while and the asked if he wanted to come into the marquee to hear them warm up. Of course, he thought i was winding him up. That was amazing, we were usually one of hundreds if not thousands, so to be sitting there with only crew and a handfull of people watching them, was amazing.

They left shortly after and we were asked by the lighting guys if we wanted to hang out and have something to eat. We ate Jet Black's curry.

2Nd part later.

Hi Oscar

Hope you all had a great Christmas. wow, this part 2 must be a flippin epic.LOL.still,it will be worth waiting for and patience is a virtue some might say. just re - reading your account of the, paris ,lyon and nance gigs in 1987 (as described) and i was visualising the epic trip down in the lorry to nance and getting into the whole thing when i realised that i just can’t for the life of me work out what gigs you are referring to, particularly in the order you experienced them????????

The stranglers only did 2 gigs in france in 1987 and paris and nance were not visited at all. but you were so definite in your brilliant description about your trip down to nance with didea the driver???have you got the year right??

Lyon was the second and last french stranglers gig of 1987 on sunday 20.9.87 at Bourse du Travail,lyon and the only other french gig that year was the day before on saturday 19.9.87 at the B 'Ol Dor Festival, Le Castellet, which is near Toulon on the way to Marseille (could that have been it??..but if it was then you would have been travelling back up to Lyon the next day??) The only other european festival they did around that time was the weekend before on sunday 13-09-1987 at La Louviere but that is in Belgium ???? brilliant stuff all the same but it would be great to know exactly where you and your bro actually were.

incidentally, the only paris gig remotely close to your date was nearly a year before on 13.11.86 Paris Le Zenith and could not have been part of your 87 tour and strangely enough they never played paris again until may 30th 1990 at le grand rex. interesting stuff. Over to you Oscar for all the juicy details.!!!!!!!!:guitarist

Ludwig
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

Hi Oscar

BINGO!!!!

ok, i have worked it out (well.nearly) the gig you were certainly at was 100% definitely nancy (not nance) parc de la pépinière chapiteau on Friday 14th october 1983.As you say, this is a park (as you described) directly opposite the place du general de gaulle in nancy and they still hold a jazz type fest there to this very day.

the only paris gig on this tour was espace ballard on thursday september 29th two weeks earlier and the lyon gig you referred to did happen on this tour but it was the night before the nance gig on the thursday 13th october at the lyon palais d'hiver, but this was when you were travelling down to nancy with didea and were kipping in the station on that night with the tramps so you could not have been at that one (on this occasion). can you remember the gig you were at prior to the Nancy gig? or maybe where you were when you got your lift from the truck guy and we might be able to work it all out with more accuracy. if you were at the paris gig on the 29th of September and stayed on the European tour until the nancy gig, did you go to any of the other gigs that happened between then and the Nancy gig two weeks later??

a long time ago oscar, but still fun and interesting (to us anyway) to get it all in order, i hope that helps you a bit and stimulates the memory banks.:guitarist

i told you i am an anorak:driving:(didea)

Ludwig
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

Hi Oscar fellow stranglers nutter

happy new year and all that

i hope you haven't lost your enthusiasm and interest in this thread, it was getting soooooooo very interesting working out where you 'wern't' and where you actually were, i hope you thought so too.30 years or so is a long time to dredge up the dates and times and i genuinely hope my anoraky knowledge added some spice to those memories to know exactly where you were on your stranglers 'tour' in 1987. more info on the other gigs you did on the tour before you ran out of cash would be brilliant.......so please dont be a stranger on this topic:-6:guitarist:guitarist

what was it they said, lies' damned lies and statistics, i'm not so sure about that but i just lurrrrve those facts and statistics because to me, they add meat to the bones of long held memories and bring the reality of those events to life, so to speak.

still love to hear about jets curry and those snogging sessions with JJ......by the way.how did you get back from the Nancy gig, did didea keep the meter running?:):):driving::driving:

where is part 2?????? gotta know about the other 100's of gigs in the other 29 years:):):):):)

Over to you Oscar

Ludwig
Oscar Namechange

Ludwig Van B;1097517 wrote: Hi Oscar fellow stranglers nutter

happy new year and all that

i hope you haven't lost your enthusiasm and interest in this thread, it was getting soooooooo very interesting working out where you 'wern't' and where you actually were, i hope you thought so too.30 years or so is a long time to dredge up the dates and times and i genuinely hope my anoraky knowledge added some spice to those memories to know exactly where you were on your stranglers 'tour' in 1987. more info on the other gigs you did on the tour before you ran out of cash would be brilliant.......so please dont be a stranger on this topic:-6:guitarist:guitarist

what was it they said, lies' damned lies and statistics, i'm not so sure about that but i just lurrrrve those facts and statistics because to me, they add meat to the bones of long held memories and bring the reality of those events to life, so to speak.

still love to hear about jets curry and those snogging sessions with JJ......by the way.how did you get back from the Nancy gig, did didea keep the meter running?:):):driving::driving:

where is part 2?????? gotta know about the other 100's of gigs in the other 29 years:):):):):)

Over to you Oscar

Ludwig

HEY LUDWIG

I am soooooo pleased to find you'd added another post. We have two pc's in this house and unfortunately, mine is a bit old. I don't have the memory on this that i'd like and really need to do something about it. I also need to delete a huge amount of stuff i've got on here to make soom room. As you know, when anyone reply's to your post, you get an e mail. If someone else replie's after that, you don't get one and the thread starts to work it's way out.

I have to delete my inbox and deleted items like crazy otherwise i have a problem storing new bits i google. It also makes this pc very slow.

When you added your last post, i accidently deleted the link to this thread and deleted the deleted folder so i had no link. When i went into the threads, this one had dissaperared off page four as no-one else had posted after you. I couldn't log on. Does that make sense at all?

I hoped you'd make an appearence so i got the link back as e mail.

As it's new years eve, i will be back on later so please don't think i'm ignoring you will you?

I am so impressed at your knowledge. You must work for SIS or 'Strangled,. you have to in order to have that knowledge.

You are right about the year of Nancy. After i posted part one, i thought that it had to be earlier and it was 'Golden Brown' riding high and not 'Always the Sun'.

The gig was in a Marquee in a park and it was a jazz festival. 'Level 42' were backing the Stranglers' who i didn't see play as i was backstage but i can say that i think 'Mark king' is a ****wit.

I also found some pics of that gig and looking at my age and JJ's age, you must be bang on about the year.

Now let me ask tyou some questions before i reveal more :wah:

Do you work for SIS?

Do you work for 'Strangled'?

Do you edit any fan clubs?

Are you actually J.J. Burnel??

Going by your knowledge, at the gig in Nancy.... Did Hugh manage to get his pineapple sorted out??

I do have to run for a while, as i said, it's new years eve and Mr Oscar is going to be well pissed if i spend the evening talking about 'The Stranglers' instead of partying with him.

I will return shortly, and

HAPPY NEW YEAR LUDWIG

OSCAR
Oscar Namechange

happy new year

jean jaques burnel

dave greenfield

jet black

baz warne

hugh cornwell

paul roberts

john ellis
Oscar Namechange

Calling Ludwig!!
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

happy new dubree and all that stuff mrs wilde

Oooooooooooo flippin eck i’m still stuffed to the gunnels. new years day is always the same here at Ludwig Van B towers,jellied roast rib of beef and all that green stuff that goes with it.luverly jubleeeee at the time , but i still feel like a python who has swallowed a thompson’s gazelle with his dm’s on.

now then, now then, young lady, what’s all this stuff about deleting me. you naughty WIB , I smell a jellied eel or two there.

the answers to your questions are simple and are as follows …nay, nay, nay and thrice nay.(or was that four nays???) i have absolutely no connections with the mighty ‘glers’ or gordon broon (texture like sun) for that matter, as I have said (repeatedly) I am just a nerdy anorak who knows too much , so now you know.

you summoned me here from the cyber ether, like an impish elf, so tell me more, or forever hold your saveloy

p.s .never play with ouija boards

Ludwig
Oscar Namechange

Ludwig Van B;1098392 wrote: happy new dubree and all that stuff mrs wilde

Oooooooooooo flippin eck i’m still stuffed to the gunnels. new years day is always the same here at Ludwig Van B towers,jellied roast rib of beef and all that green stuff that goes with it.luverly jubleeeee at the time , but i still feel like a python who has swallowed a thompson’s gazelle with his dm’s on.

now then, now then, young lady, what’s all this stuff about deleting me. you naughty WIB , I smell a jellied eel or two there.

the answers to your questions are simple and are as follows …nay, nay, nay and thrice nay.(or was that four nays???) i have absolutely no connections with the mighty ‘glers’ or gordon broon (texture like sun) for that matter, as I have said (repeatedly) I am just a nerdy anorak who knows too much , so now you know.

you summoned me here from the cyber ether, like an impish elf, so tell me more, or forever hold your saveloy

p.s .never play with ouija boards

Ludwig

You sound pissed

:
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

i’ll never stop eating flesh……….and stinky eel flesh is porky meat.and we (that is me and Carolly) have to kill them to eat them (although i'm sure there are some scum bags who just eat them raw) so get over yourself mrs wilde or go to bed and dream of stranglers gigs that you were or were not at ( i'll always be able to let you know.remember that)

let me ask you another question.mrs wilde ..

are you a politician? because you never answer any of my questions. you seem to have an in depth memory and fixation about this nancy gig which suggests that it was the only gig that you were ever at. personally, i want you to answer the questions that I have already asked you, why don’t you do that??

read the questions and answer them.or i'll send carolly around to duff you up

Ludwig
Oscar Namechange

Ludwig Van B;1098611 wrote: i’ll never stop eating flesh……….and stinky eel flesh is porky meat.and we (that is me and Carolly) have to kill them to eat them (although i'm sure there are some scum bags who just eat them raw) so get over yourself mrs wilde or go to bed and dream of stranglers gigs that you were or were not at ( i'll always be able to let you know.remember that)

let me ask you another question.mrs wilde ..

are you a politician? because you never answer any of my questions. you seem to have an in depth memory and fixation about this nancy gig which suggests that it was the only gig that you were ever at. personally, i want you to answer the questions that I have already asked you, why don’t you do that??

read the questions and answer them.or i'll send carolly around to duff you up

Ludwig

Excuse me... i thought i'd made a pal here... seems i was wrong.

I can always post up the pictures of the Nancy gig any time i like along with the rest of 30 yrs worth.
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

you have made a pal mrs wilde

and i'm sorry to know that you feel that you have not

i would like to see the pics from the nancy gig because i know that you and your bro were there (we established that by due process.did we not?) but that's not what this is all about .......is it?.....i am interested in your adventures (as you have described them) and i am led (completely) by what you say and i respond to that given information and interject my knowledge about what you say, when you say it (sorry)

i asked you questions related to your comments because i am genuinely interested (genuinely) .if you don't have the answers to those questions relating to your experience as you describe it, then thats ok. i don't know why that would be the case but that's for you to know. people like you and your brother who have seen over 400 stranglers gigs interested me immediately.....and when i realised that your memory of these occasions was wildly innacurate i decided to help you out with those events and get them in order for you, but when i asked you questions that you should have been able to answer easily you dodged them

lets just let it be, change the subject

Ludwig
Oscar Namechange

Ludwig Van B;1098777 wrote: you have made a pal mrs wilde

and i'm sorry to know that you feel that you have not

i would like to see the pics from the nancy gig because i know that you and your bro were there (we established that by due process.did we not?) but that's not what this is all about .......is it?.....i am interested in your adventures (as you have described them) and i am led (completely) by what you say and i respond to that given information and interject my knowledge about what you say, when you say it (sorry)

i asked you questions related to your comments because i am genuinely interested (genuinely) .if you don't have the answers to those questions relating to your experience as you describe it, then thats ok. i don't know why that would be the case but that's for you to know. people like you and your brother who have seen over 400 stranglers gigs interested me immediately.....and when i realised that your memory of these occasions was wildly innacurate i decided to help you out with those events and get them in order for you, but when i asked you questions that you should have been able to answer easily you dodged them

lets just let it be, change the subject

Ludwig

I don't need to change the subject or make excuses. 30 years is a long time especially when you have actually been to as many gig as i have. A lot, especially in the early days when i was young, were at a time of much alcohol consumption there-fore to ask anyone to recite date's years and times from nearly 30 years ago, is naturally going to take some doing.

You seem to be suggesting that i am lying which if i were, i'd hardly put this thread on and i'd hardly know about a gig and European Tour from nearly 30 years ago.

I don't have to justify myself to anyone. I put this thread on for genuine Stranglers fans to discuss their work and experiences. You have offered nothing other than that your an anorak. I don't have to answer your questions any more than you have to answer mine. I went along with you as i believed you sounded a great guy with an interest in others experience's.

I did not expect a new member to register just to ridicule the person who put the thread on.

On these forums, people can make up who they are, what they do and invent an identity. if i was inventing my identity and tried to claim i had met some-one famous, it could be many more than JJ as The Stranglers are not the only gigs i have been to over the years.

I am actually quite hurt that you have turned to question the 'nancy gig' as fantasy. maybe it's sour grapes on your part??
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

Maybe you (and everyone else) should re- read what I have written in response to what you have written and perhaps you should, ultimately, respond appropriately ........but failing that ......... I hear what you say mate .......so let's just leave it there. drop it.

Ludwig
Oscar Namechange

Ludwig Van B;1098976 wrote: Maybe you (and everyone else) should re- read what I have written in response to what you have written and perhaps you should, ultimately, respond appropriately ........but failing that ......... I hear what you say mate .......so let's just leave it there. drop it.

Ludwig

Hit a raw nerve have i?

I have read what you have written Ludwig. A forum such as this as there are many on the net, are here for debate and discussion. No-one can post questions and demand answers equally, no-one can come on claiming to be an expert in any topic without adding links or proof. As i said, I could quite easily upload my photo's but could you?

You are not an authoritie on the Stranglers. As you are aware, there are thousands and thousands of fans all over the world. The last time i saw Hugh Cornwell at The Cumberland Hotel in Bedminster, Bristol, on his Acoustic solo tour, ticket count 100 by the way, I met a guy who had flown over from canada to see him. The last time my brother saw JJ in Royal Tunbridge Wells, kent, on his solo tour, he met a guy from japan who had come to see him. You do not know every fan, where they have been, how many times, and what they did or how they got there.

I could do what you do Ludwig, I could google tour lists and dates for hours, but i go from memory.

Interesting that you couldn't offer up that Level 42 backed the Stranglers at Nancy until i told you or didn't you google that? Maybe you can tell me what tour it was that X Mal Deustland supported The Stranglers? or what other occassions Big Country have supported them post Batttersea. What sound problems did they have at Reading on the Aural Sculpture gig? What happened in Reijavek? (sorry my spelling is bad i know). I could go on and on.

You see Ludwig, there is more for you to answer me on as an authoritie on the Stranglers than i need to answer anyone on. That's because my brother and i have spent thousands on those guys over 30 years. Yes, my memory is not good, so shoot me. I've been there, done it and still wear the Doc Martins and Raven tee-shirt signed by the band. Do You? That reminds me, were YOU at the signing of 'About Time'? Have you been to see Paul Roberts in his new band 'Soulsec'? Were you at the Royal Albert Hall? Cos if you look, you'll actually see the back of my head and my brothers bald spot about four rows back from the front. If you can manage to get a copy of 'Stranged' from that Nancy tour, you'll see JJ wrote thanks to the fans who slept in the railway station'. I've still got it. I've still got the map that JJ and Jet drew over that we used to get round the gigs. Oh and if your such an authoritie on the Stranglers, you'll know what nickname JJ called me and scribbled all over that map. You may even know the name of the fan who let the animals out of the zoo inside General De Gualle Square park, that's because you know so much more than me or anyone else. The difference between us, is that all i have to do, is get my scrapbooks and picture albums out, not google. Another one for you? Who ACTUALLY wrote 'Lie's and deception? without googling although i doubt you can find out from googling.

I could go on and on. Shame, i thought you were a genuine fan who had had all the up's and downs of travelling to gigs to share like me, such as the time i broke down in 'Compton' near Reading on the way home one year or the time police stopped the train on the way to Newcastle, or the time my brother was mistaken for Alan Partridge at Manchester. Or when the national express coach crashed on the way to Liverpoole. It seems you don't have 30 years of memorie's to share like some.
Oscar Namechange

I had a look through some scrap books last night and they brought back many memorie's.

There was the time we lost the car in Hammersmith.. couldn't remember where we parked it.

The time at Fontwell race course in the tent when Jet had put his back out and we ended up taking a stray home for the night.

The time 'Aswad' were supporting the Stranglers at Reading and they got bood off stage.

The night we came home from Poole Arts Centre in Dorset and we sat in the moonlight watching baby foxes.

Then there's Brighton.. Where do i start? The Conference Centre, The Dome Theatre, The top Rank Suite on the 'Meninblack' tour where my neice's boyfriend fainted? etc etc

As i said Ludwig... I could go on and on. Real memories not googled text book dates.

That's what real fans do...they store memorie's and just go to see a great band.. not record dates, times, facts and figures incase some anorak turns up 30 years later and accuses them of making it up.

I bet you didn't even know where it was Hugh got nicked?? Colston Hall Bristol actually.

Gotta go, just sending john Ellis an e mail... a real e mail :yh_rotfl

p.s. were you there the night The Clash, The pretenders, The sex Pistols and the Stranglers all played at the same joint and JJ got in a fight with the Clash bassist?? No, I don't expect you were.

Now you insulted me... You'll never know just how close we got will you?

Enjoy
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

Oscar, with great respect, there really is no point whatsoever in me discussing your adventures with you because you have obviously got annoyed and upset at me correcting your (innocently applied) inaccuracies.

whatever you think, i can assure you that i never once called in to question the validity of any of your experiences (as described in part one) whatsoever, how could i? i simply asked questions that were interesting to me and as soon as I realised that there was something fundamentally wrong about the details of that information i instantly wanted to help you unravel the reality of those gigs on your European tour in 1987 because they made absolutely no sense at all.

as it turned out i was completely right about that and those gigs first thought to have been in 87 were actually in 1983 (big deal.huh) and the revelation of that fact did not make you a liar because you could not remember the year nor did it make you a liar because you got the name of the town wrong , nor did it make you a liar simply because the gigs you said you were at on your travels to Nancy you could not have been at and I never once said that you were (it would have been easy to have left it at that and ducked out in the knowledge that you were years out and seemingly in the wrong place), i just set about finding out where you actually really were and when you were there and that was done in genuine good faith and the knowledge that what you had described was so well put and unquestioningly true but needed some accuracy applied to it to make any sense of it and indeed I did that. so,, in actual fact i made you right, not proved you wrong and you have misinterpreted that completely.

i now realise that this information is not interesting or relevant to you in the slightest and that really is fair enough, and i don’t suppose that 99% of people would give a flying fig either, 83?, 87?,Nante?, Nance? or Nancy ,,,who cares, well I do, but your memories as described simply do not change the facts as they are documented, whether those facts are interesting or important or fit in with your own recollections or not, they are simply there, written in stone and can be used as a guide to those who were there (like you) and an archive of staggering information about the incredible journey that this band has undertaken for those (like me) who were not.

i suppose at this point you could say that we have reached a ‘who gives a monkies toss’ moment with regard to the where’s and when’s and to a large degree in this case I reckon that’s where it will stop.as i have already said, i do not question any of your brilliant experiences whatsoever, but i really do like things to make chronological sense. our memories are random machines and when people like you and your bro, who have done so many of these European and Uk gigs over so many years, trawl your memory banks there is no question that things will cross over and events will merge with the passing of time and perhaps it is that essence of an overall experience that should be remembered by you and facts and details like, days, dates or years should play no significant part in the truth as you know it and undoubtedly experienced it. but i will not deny that i will always prefer to rummage through those precious memories and put them in their right order (as we did) so they make sense in the scheme of things, but that’s just the way my mind works, but i now realise that trying to do that with you has all the potential for me to appear disbelieving or cynical and i think, in this instance, it is entirely irrelevant to do so and I have no desire to do that.

Your passion for this band is unquestionable, your experiences are many and would be fascinating but such is the comprehensive knowledge available about this band and the comprehensive lists of their whereabouts since 1974 , which I think is unrivalled by any other band (i think).

so anyway, let us not let minutiae divide us, let us both kneel at the alter of the glorious men in black, hold hands, close our eyes and utter that really important mantra

long live the stranglers

Ludwig Van B

a pressie for you

i know your just gonna lurve this

YouTube - THE STRANGLERS EUROPEAN FEMALE
Oscar Namechange

As you went to so much trouble to write that lot out for me, i may relent. However.....

EUROPEAN FEMALE is NOT a pressie for me. Second to 'Paradise' where JJ's ex 'Anna Von Stern' murdered some lyrics with him, 'EF has to be the worst track he ever recorded and GOD FORBID, the Rodney's must have been queuing up the day they decided to release that as a single.

I appreciate your thought though.

Now a pressie for you:

YouTube - The Stranglers - Sometimes

ENJOY :p:p:p
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

good version of a great song thanks

"p.s. were you there the night The Clash, The pretenders, The sex Pistols and the Stranglers all played at the same joint and JJ got in a fight with the Clash bassist?? No, I don't expect you were."

no i definitely wasn't, but would have loved to have seen that, i'm assuming that you were there??????.must have been amazing

Ludwig
Oscar Namechange

Ludwig Van B;1100092 wrote: good version of a great song thanks

"p.s. were you there the night The Clash, The pretenders, The sex Pistols and the Stranglers all played at the same joint and JJ got in a fight with the Clash bassist?? No, I don't expect you were."

no i definitely wasn't, but would have loved to have seen that, i'm assuming that you were there??????.must have been amazing

Ludwig

No, sadly i wasn't there. It is documented somewhere but my version originally came from word of mouth from a fan i met at a gig.

The chapter is also included in Hugh Cornwalls auto-biography.

There is also a story that Johnny Rotton spat at JJ not knowing he was a karate nut and JJ floored him.

Of course, JJ denounces all self violence now but he certainly gave us some 'Delicious Treats' over the years.

I am going to try to take a digital photo of some of my pics from the 80's with JJ and upload them on here for you. (I know you sneaked a look at my profile) :wah:

I sneaked a peek at yours too but you have no details.

Do you remember Dave Greenfield's Auntie Gwen? She always went to the Brighton gigs as she lived in Patcham in Brighton. Hugh always used to ask the crowd to say hi to 'Dave's Auntie Gwen'. (OH god, do you remember Hugh's dreadfull one liner gags at gigs? ... Groan.

JJ's nickname for me wasn't EF... It began with an A . that'll keep you thinking. If you can guess, i buy you a pint but you'll never get it in a million years i don't think. It's complimentary by the way :wah:

I got your message on the other thread... Ta for that. after everything last night, they had to cut my slot :-5 I have done some interviews on the subject of our policing before for the BBC. The last one they pre-recorded as i'm known for being trappy.. Who me??? they are doing the interview again so i'll let you when they book me again.

Got to work now... must give Gordon some more tax.
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

Hi Oscar, good stuff, thanks for that

has good old gorgon brown got a nickname for you aswell?:)

as i originally said, i have so many things to ask you (that’s if you don’t mind) but what i would really luuurve is for you to spend a minute or two and tell me about your complete experience at battersea pk in 1978. that gig, is such a famous event in the life of this band, and you were there .we all know about the strippers and stuff (youtube) but you must be bursting with memories and images of that whole amazing day, did you take any pics?

were you living in London at that time ? if you weren’t .how did you get to the gig??......how did you get home? i ask that because i know you dudes were pretty intrepid with the old hitch hiking and suchlike, plus i always feel that the process of getting to far away gigs is a great part of the overall experience and has an enjoyment factor in it’s own right.

what other bands were on the bill? were there any special effects, publicity stunts or interesting things going on that you can mention? did you buy any merchandise, like a t shirt or badge or a poster?

just tell me everything that you remember about that day please….LOL

you are a legend Oscar ( cant imagine what your nickname by JJ might have been though…..give me a clue)

Ludwig
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

P.S

I hope you don't take a month to reply (like you did last time)

Ludwig:):):):):)
dsc

Post by dsc »

hello.

would anyone be able to tell me what type of, i assume, synthesiser was used on Waltz In Black, please and thankyou?
Ludwig Van B

Post by Ludwig Van B »

Oscar

A real pressie for you

Your boy JJ the other night in Oslo

still cool as F**k after all those years

TVNORGE

p.s are you are you doing any european gigs on this tour?

Ludwig
Oscar Namechange

Ludwig Van B;1107231 wrote: Oscar

A real pressie for you

TVNORGE

Ludwig

I really hope to this year but with an appeal coming up although that could take months yet.

I'm sitting here now typing pages and pages for my new lawyer so it's alot of hard work coming up again.

A trip to see the Men could take my mind off things for a while.

Are you going to any??
Oscar Namechange

Ludwig Van B;1107231 wrote: Oscar

A real pressie for you

TVNORGE

Ludwig

Still as lechorous after all those years.

He's put a rinse on his hair and she was frightened of him... you can tell :yh_rotfl

A real treat though.... Thanks for that :-6
Oscar Namechange

dsc;1105853 wrote: hello.

would anyone be able to tell me what type of, i assume, synthesiser was used on Waltz In Black, please and thankyou?

I have been googling for you and just can't find any reference to Dave's type of sythesiser on that track. Sorry.

Ludwig is an anorak so he will probably know.
dsc

Post by dsc »

thankyou. i googled too, that's how i ended up here.

Please, Ludwig? Can you help?
Oscar Namechange

dsc;1107576 wrote: thankyou. i googled too, that's how i ended up here.

Please, Ludwig? Can you help?

I have e mailed the SIS for you. (Stranglers Imformation Service). They are in contact with the band and hopefully, you'll get an answer. They usually get back within a day or two.

I'll send a message to Ludwig as well to get him looking. He's more into facts and dates than me.

Waltzinblack was certainly ahead of it's time wasn't it? It has to be said that Dave Greenfield must be the greatest keyboard player ever. My fave for his keyboards is the extended 'Walk on By'.

Great to see another fan on here. Hope you'll stick around. :-6:-6
dsc

Post by dsc »

thankyou.
Oscar Namechange

dsc;1109098 wrote: thankyou.

Not had a reply yet from SIS so i will chase them up. I don't know where Ludwig has been either for the past few days but he'll turn up.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Ive never been an admirer of stranglers. Its vulgar the way they just choke and choke until the last gasp seeps out.

I prefer giving accolades to blunt trauma perps and those that set people on fire.

It just seem like they care more about their craft.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Post by spot »

Good lord...

BBC NEWS | UK | Trowbridge inspires Hugh Cornwell
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Oscar Namechange

spot;1133033 wrote: Good lord...

BBC NEWS | UK | Trowbridge inspires Hugh Cornwell

Thanks Spot :yh_rotfl

I saw a snippet in the Sun's editor comments a few weeks back extracting the Michael over this. They thought it was hilarious that this once feared hard man of rock was getting confused with a one-way system in Trowbridge. :wah:
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

I really liked them until i went to see them live, i was about 16 at the time. A girl in the front row tried to touch Jean Jaques Burnel's foot, he kicked her right in the face. I dident care for them much after that.
Oscar Namechange

buttercup;1133111 wrote: I really liked them until i went to see them live, i was about 16 at the time. A girl in the front row tried to touch Jean Jaques Burnel's foot, he kicked her right in the face. I dident care for them much after that.

Yes, he had a habit of such acts according to the press. I have never seen him do any thing like that at all the gigs i've been at but i wouldn't rule it out. He was pretty stroppy in the early days. I always found him to be utterly charming.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Ive heard people say the same of rapists & murderers. The girl was just a kid, i think we all hero worshipped them up here until that incident. You know they just played on, what kind of people would do that?

Sorry i'll shut up now dont want to dampen your thread.:lips:
Oscar Namechange

buttercup;1133136 wrote: Ive heard people say the same of rapists & murderers. The girl was just a kid, i think we all hero worshipped them up here until that incident. You know they just played on, what kind of people would do that?

Sorry i'll shut up now dont want to dampen your thread.:lips:

Not at all.......

Can i ask? Did you actually witness it for yourself?

In the early days, he was a black belt and for one, if he kicked some-one in the face, he would be likely to cause them serious injury but also, if it was caught, he'd be stripped of his title. He's a 13th Dan now and he could not have got to that level if he was caught kicking anyone in the face.

From the early gigs i have been at, it always seemed that there were always the one's who went there solely to wind them up and get them to re-act.

I'm not dis-believing you though :)
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

Yes i did witness this myself. She (i would say) just wanted to touch her hero, her face was bust pretty bad.

Tried to p.m you rather than spoil your thread but your box is full.
Oscar Namechange

buttercup;1133142 wrote: Yes i did witness this myself. She (i would say) just wanted to touch her hero, her face was bust pretty bad.

Tried to p.m you rather than spoil your thread but your box is full.

I've added a link for you incase you haven't seen it before of JJ talking about the early years. It was done a while back before he got to level 13th Dan. I'm not dis-believing you..... he was an angry young man back then.

YouTube - The Stranglers - JJ Burnel "After They Were Famous"

Sorry my pm box is full..... I'm stalking gmc :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

I watched your link, my opinion remains the same.

Stalking GMC, more foreplay huh? :wah:
Oscar Namechange

buttercup;1133173 wrote: I watched your link, my opinion remains the same.

Stalking GMC, more foreplay huh? :wah:

As it said in the link..... Stranglers concerts were not for the faint hearted. It's a shame about your friend..... I found him to be a fluffy kitten :wah: I suppose we all change over the years...... we've got Hugh whinging about the one way system in Trowbridge now.

Stalking gmc gives me a great deal of pleasure :yh_rotfl

Return to “Music”