Even Canada Mocks The US :)

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
koan

Post by koan »

We're pretty wimpy up north here but, apparently, our schools are showing this video to Canadian youths. My daughter linked me to the following little ditty:

What more is there to say, really? :yh_rotfl
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

He who laughs last..................

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Well, well, well....isn't this lovely. Thank you so much Koan...just another "I hate America thread"

Hope you enjoyed yourself ;-) You really broadsided me there...I must be so stupid because I didn't expect this from you...
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

It's a gift, Kathy, always to try and see the best in everyone!! You're nice to lots of people in here who probably don't deserve it. Don't ever change!!!!!! :-6
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

AussiePam;1106743 wrote: It's a gift, Kathy, always to try and see the best in everyone!! You're nice to lots of people in here who probably don't deserve it. Don't ever change!!!!!! :-6

Ahhhh, thank you Pam...

I'm just so ****ing tired of these ****ing "I hate America" threads. I just didn't expect this one from Koan...This was a shocker to me...:confused:
koan

Post by koan »

We have a thing in Canada called humour. I can see why you don't understand because we spell it with two "u"s. :D
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

This is my last post in this thread. I would never, ever show a video to my class that would mock another country. I can't believe that this would be approved by the school district, and I don't believe it.

All I know is that I have always respected the citizens of Canada. I've even posted a thread about your beautiful music.

I have cousins who live in Buffalo, NY....20 minutes away from Canada... and when I've visited them, we couldn't wait to hop in the car and drive to Niagara Falls and Toronto. A lot of my family in NJ have spent so much time in Canada due to visiting our Buffalo rellys.

Canada is a beautiful country, and I would never mock your country. Canada is a part of my childhood memories:-6 For Heaven sakes, your Canadian swans have become citizens in my township's bay.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

koan;1106746 wrote: We have a thing in Canada called humour. I can see why you don't understand because we spell it with two "u"s. :D

Koan...This is not humor...it's sarcasm, just as your post is...
koan

Post by koan »

I make no excuses for my sarcasm. I got it and I use it often. Nevertheless, I still think that video is funny as hell.

It's as good a comeback to the Southpark movie as we've got.
Kathy Ellen

Post by Kathy Ellen »

koan;1106750 wrote: I make no excuses for my sarcasm. I got it and I use it often. Nevertheless, I still think that video is funny as hell.

It's as good a comeback to the Southpark movie as we've got.

Well then, your work is done here...so sad
Mustang

Post by Mustang »

I didn't find this video amusing nor funny as hell.

I find it pathetic that a school system would waste valuable time and energy showing a video like this to their students. For what purpose? They have nothing better to teach in Canada?
Peg

Post by Peg »

My speakers aren't hooked up and it's probably best I leave them that way. :-5
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

The Canadian in me is embarrassed by that, it is pretty stupid. I hope it is not true that it is being shown in schools.

Just ask Canada if they want a re-match?

If my history is correct, the truth of that war was that it was not really won by ‘the British’ or the ‘Canadians’, it was won because of the promises made by England to the Indians, and it was the native Indians that fought alongside with the British that lead to the vistory.

In the battle of Detroit, the US retreated because of their fear of the Indians, without them Canada would have lost.
Odie

Post by Odie »

As a Canadian, I find this quite embarrassing, especially with so many previous threads being posted, 'I hate America', etc.

A lot do not realize, if it wasn't my for neighbors, free-trade, and most importantly they promise to protect us from other countries.

I don't find this the least bit comical.
Life is just to short for drama.
minks

Post by minks »

Odie;1106915 wrote: As a Canadian, I find this quite embarrassing, especially with so many previous threads being posted, 'I hate America', etc.

A lot do not realize, if it wasn't my for neighbors, free-trade, and most importantly they promise to protect us from other countries.

I don't find this the least bit comical.

Nope not all of us Canadians mock our neighbors. People are people we all bleed the same blood.

I didn't open the clip so won't comment on it.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Odie

Post by Odie »

minks;1106929 wrote: Nope not all of us Canadians mock our neighbors. People are people we all bleed the same blood.

I didn't open the clip so won't comment on it.

bravo Minks, bravo!:yh_party:yh_party
G#Gill

Post by G#Gill »

koan;1106746 wrote: We have a thing in Canada called humour. I can see why you don't understand because we spell it with two "u"s. :D

Koan, I'm afraid Kathy is right. I think people have done more than enough of "let's rubbish America", there is a limit to how much people can 'laugh off' the brick bats being thrown at them. Once it goes over the top, it then becomes tantamount to mental bullying and humiliation. It is a fine line !!
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Thanks to everyone who commented on this video. I have been very distressed since I first saw it and am glad to know that it is not a reflection of many of the members here.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
hoxtonchris

Post by hoxtonchris »

Kindle;1106946 wrote: Thanks to everyone who commented on this video. I have been very distressed since I first saw it and am glad to know that it is not a reflection of many of the members here.your right kindle it isnt im sure.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

America has come under much flak over the past few months.

The election and financial problems have highlighted what an Idiot Bush has been for the past 8 years.

Here, we have our own idiots. We are certainly not proud of Tony Blair although he has just recieved some award from the Whitehouse for being holier than holy.

America has always been a country that is the envy of the world for many reasons.

The kids in Britain much prefer anything American to anything British.

It is very sad because i believe the only reason that America is mocked, is directly down to George Bush.

I didn't want Obama to win however, he is likely to bring about changes that will restore the worlds envy of a great country and people.

I do fall out on FG in political threads but my critisim has always been of a dumb president and not the people. Equally, as Britain has been mocked for having a dumb Prime Minister in Tony Blair.

America seems to recognise that Bush has harmed the country in the past 8 years with foriegn policy and the economics and i salute the people who can do that just as we recognise that Blair has harmed our country.

I know our kids in schools are educated about America, Canada etc but i know that such a video would never be shown to children. It's racist... sorry!!!
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
Odie

Post by Odie »

All across Canada, they cheered for Obama, and this was just one celebration in downtown Toronto, this is how we feel about our neighbors!:yh_party

YouTube - Barack Obama celebration in Toronto, Canada

and I found this one really cute!

minks

Post by minks »

oscar;1106955 wrote: America has come under much flak over the past few months.

The election and financial problems have highlighted what an Idiot Bush has been for the past 8 years.

Here, we have our own idiots. We are certainly not proud of Tony Blair although he has just recieved some award from the Whitehouse for being holier than holy.

America has always been a country that is the envy of the world for many reasons.

The kids in Britain much prefer anything American to anything British.

It is very sad because i believe the only reason that America is mocked, is directly down to George Bush.

I didn't want Obama to win however, he is likely to bring about changes that will restore the worlds envy of a great country and people.

I do fall out on FG in political threads but my critisim has always been of a dumb president and not the people. Equally, as Britain has been mocked for having a dumb Prime Minister in Tony Blair.

America seems to recognise that Bush has harmed the country in the past 8 years with foriegn policy and the economics and i salute the people who can do that just as we recognise that Blair has harmed our country.

I know our kids in schools are educated about America, Canada etc but i know that such a video would never be shown to children. It's racist... sorry!!!

Very well put. :)

Lets face it, as a planet, all nations need each other for a variety of reasons and each nation has it's faults, faulty leaders, faulty sects, etc. but we just can't be running around slamming an entire nation when we know only a handful of people from said nation.

― Mae West
Peg

Post by Peg »

I listened to it. If that's humour, I'm glad I don't have a sense of humor. :-5 :-5

Soldiers returning dead and encouraging children to take a pack of matches and burn down the white house isn't my idea of humor or humour.
Odie

Post by Odie »

America is a great country!;)
Oscar Namechange

jimbo;1107003 wrote: the war was nearly 200 years ago :thinking:

is it not possible that you guys are over reacting just a tad

to be honest the only thing i found funny was the bit poking fun of tony blair :yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

but insulting :thinking: not really its a kids video people for kids :rolleyes:

america is a great country

i loved nearly every merican i met there in my two years i lived there :-6

and the people were very nice to me

the americans i met were always joking about american education,the roads ,the police everything really :thinking:

i'm sure koan head never meant it to be insulting just having a laugh :D

Anything that pokes fun of Blair is Ok by me. The mans a tosser. I still think the vid is insulting to America though.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

oscar;1107175 wrote: Anything that pokes fun of Blair is Ok by me. The mans a tosser. I still think the vid is insulting to America though.

we agree blair a tosser
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

oscar;1107175 wrote: Anything that pokes fun of Blair is Ok by me. The mans a tosser. I still think the vid is insulting to America though.

If it were about the UK loosing the American War of Independence and done in a similarly spoof fashion would you find it offensive?

Sadly, I'd probably just laugh along with it.
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1107179 wrote: If it were about the UK loosing the American War of Independence and done in a similarly spoof fashion would you find it offensive?

umm yes i would :thinking::thinking:
Oscar Namechange

el guapo;1107177 wrote: we agree blair a tosser

That's all we agree on my little pit viper. America doesn't agree,they just award Histonyness an award for being wonderful. Or something like that.

Yep, they gave him America's highest civility award.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldne ... -East.html
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

Bryn Mawr;1107179 wrote: If it were about the UK loosing the American War of Independence and done in a similarly spoof fashion would you find it offensive?

they did its based on a old american song
"To be foolish and to recognize that one is foolish, is better than to be foolish and imagine that one is wise."
el guapo

Post by el guapo »

After the Battle of New Orleans, which Andrew Jackson won on January the 8th eighteen and fifteen, the boys played the fiddle again that night, only they changed the name of it from the battle of a place in Ireland to the Eighth of January. Years passed and in about nineteen and forty-five an Arkansas school teacher slowed the tune down and put words to it and that song is The Battle Of New Orleans and I will try to sing it for you. (*Note -- two minor revisions were made for classroom use)

Well, in eighteen and fourteen we took a little trip

along with Colonel Jackson down the mighty Mississip.

We took a little bacon and we took a little beans,

And we caught the bloody British near the town of New Orleans.

We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin.

There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.

We fired once more and they began to runnin'

down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico.

Well, I see'd Mars Jackson walkin down the street

talkin' to a pirate by the name of Jean Lafitte [pronounced La-feet]

He gave Jean a drink that he brung from Tennessee

and the pirate said he'd help us drive the British in the sea.

The French said Andrew, you'd better run,

for Packingham's a comin' with a bullet in his gun.

Old Hickory said he didn't give a dang,

he's gonna whip the britches off of Colonel Packingham.

Well, we looked down the river and we see'd the British come,

and there must have been a hundred of 'em beatin' on the drum.

They stepped so high and they made their bugles ring

while we stood by our cotton bales and didn't say a thing.

Old Hickory said we could take 'em by surprise

if we didn't fire a musket til we looked 'em in the eyes.

We held our fire til we see'd their faces well,

then we opened up with squirrel guns and really gave a yell.

Well, we fired our cannon til the barrel melted down,

so we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round.

We filled his head with cannon balls and powdered his behind,

and when they tetched the powder off, the gator lost his mind.

We'll march back home but we'll never be content

till we make Old Hickory the people's President.

And every time we think about the bacon and the beans,

we'll think about the fun we had way down in New Orleans.

We fired our guns and the British kept a'comin,

But there wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.

Well, they ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles

And they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go.

They ran so fast the hounds couldn't catch 'em

But there wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago.

el guapo

Post by el guapo »

YouTube - jimmie driftwood---the battle of new orleans

so is this anti british and racist
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

el guapo;1107199 wrote: YouTube - jimmie driftwood---the battle of new orleans

so is this anti british and racist

You can bet the kids would remember that bit of history after learning to sing along of it.
nok

Post by nok »

I went to Canada for a short vacation a long time ago when I was still a very young kid and my parents took me there to see Niagra Falls. What an awesome sight that was !

My ex fiance was Canadian and he was the nicest person (and friend) that I'd ever met.

Some of the teachers at my school are Canadians and they are really down-to-earth.

Personally, I like Canada and Canadians.
Happiness is not a destiny. It is a daily goal. :)
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

Bryn Mawr;1107344 wrote: You can bet the kids would remember that bit of history after learning to sing along of it.

and I think that's probably the point of showing to kids, maybe a bit misguided, but it's one way of catching their interest in history.

Kids these days live in a world of instant media and instant gratification, if something doesn't have a way of holding their interest immediately they tend to lose interest altogether. After all there are no videos on youtube of that war are there!

Interesting though that Tony Bliar is featured! Great man that he is - such as success as a Middle East peace envoy!!!! :-5
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
mikeinie

Post by mikeinie »

Imladris;1107376 wrote: and I think that's probably the point of showing to kids, maybe a bit misguided, but it's one way of catching their interest in history.

Kids these days live in a world of instant media and instant gratification, if something doesn't have a way of holding their interest immediately they tend to lose interest altogether. After all there are no videos on youtube of that war are there!

Interesting though that Tony Bliar is featured! Great man that he is - such as success as a Middle East peace envoy!!!! :-5

That is the main point exactly , you always find stuff that pokes fun at other countries and stuff, and I don’t think that there is an intention of ‘racism’ or anything in it; it is meant to be humorous. I just don’t think that it is appropriate to be used in schools as a way of teaching history.
sunny104

Post by sunny104 »

I can't believe people think that is something that would be appropriate to show at school. :-2
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

mikeinie;1107394 wrote: That is the main point exactly , you always find stuff that pokes fun at other countries and stuff, and I don’t think that there is an intention of ‘racism’ or anything in it; it is meant to be humorous. I just don’t think that it is appropriate to be used in schools as a way of teaching history.

So how do we feel about gentle humour that pokes fun in an affectionate way at a nation's idiosyncrasies (sp?)?

Personally I have no problem with people taking the mickey out of me because I'm British or because I live in Devon or because I'm an Essex girl by birth (Oh the shame!) provided it's done with genuine humour.

I didn't find the video particularly funny and I thought it went a bit too far for my taste but I can still see why it was used as a tool to encourage discussion (if that is how it was used).
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Oscar Namechange

Imladris;1107701 wrote: So how do we feel about gentle humour that pokes fun in an affectionate way at a nation's idiosyncrasies (sp?)?

Personally I have no problem with people taking the mickey out of me because I'm British or because I live in Devon or because I'm an Essex girl by birth (Oh the shame!) provided it's done with genuine humour.

I didn't find the video particularly funny and I thought it went a bit too far for my taste but I can still see why it was used as a tool to encourage discussion (if that is how it was used).

I think it is fundamentaly wrong to encourage children to mock anything.

As i child, my parents did not influence my idea's of religion or politics etc. The view was that i would make my own mind up when i was old enough.

This vid is teaching children that it's OK to mock be it another child or another country.

Children don't have enough experience of life to understand exactly why George Bush is an idiot or why Tony Blair is a liar. that comes with age and further education not exposing them to mockery of another country for reasons that they may not have enough knowledge to understand.
minks

Post by minks »

Jester;1108071 wrote: :rolleyes:

I'll just chalk this up as the dumbest idea for a thread Koan ever posted.

ditto

― Mae West
minks

Post by minks »

Jester;1108078 wrote: Ok then I ditto yer ditto! :-4:yh_rotfl

i'll see ya and raise ya one

― Mae West
Oscar Namechange

minks;1108081 wrote: i'll see ya and raise ya one

Treble ditto and I'll see yer :)
minks

Post by minks »

oscar;1108086 wrote: Treble ditto and I'll see yer :)

I call ya, I gotta full house ;)

― Mae West
Odie

Post by Odie »

minks;1108074 wrote: ditto

ditto ditto!
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Odie;1108096 wrote: ditto ditto!

Is that anything like an nanu nanu?
Oscar Namechange

Bryn Mawr;1108126 wrote: Is that anything like an nanu nanu?

nanu nanu is a entirely different language Bryn. :wah:

Return to “Music”