Cover Songs

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Oscar Namechange

Cover Songs

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Know any weird cover songs?

I'll start...

We all remember Dionne Warwick's ' Walk On By'

Bet you never seen It like this.

Original lead singer, Hugh Cornwall :yh_worshp:yh_worshp:yh_worshp:yh_worshp
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
FourPart

Cover Songs

Post by FourPart »

I don't know about cover songs, but I've been up all night writing one of my own. You know what it's like - for now apparent reason you get inspired & have to get it written down before you forget it.

After about 10 hours straight of writing I've now submitted it to SheetMusicPlus.com for Digital Publication.

As for covers, though, I've always been a fan of the Flying Pickets.

This is their cover of Bruce Springsteen's "Factory" (unfortunately the person who uploaded it made a bit of a mess of it by not trimming some crap off the end, but it's all there):

Now listen to the original:

Personally, I reckon the Flying Pickets do a far better job of it.
Mark Aspam

Cover Songs

Post by Mark Aspam »

Probably the worst of all time, since the invention of the phonograph, was Frank Sinatra's butchering of Paul Simon's "Mrs. Robinson".

But give me a few days and I'll come up with a few dozen more - both bad and good - in some cases better than the original, and in that respect the first that comes to mind is Iggy Pop's version of "Wild One (Real Wild Child)", the original being a very lame rendition by Australian rocker Johnny O'Keefe, who is also credited as co-author.
Wandrin

Cover Songs

Post by Wandrin »

Mark Aspam;1459726 wrote: Probably the worst of all time, since the invention of the phonograph, was Frank Sinatra's butchering of Paul Simon's "Mrs. Robinson".

But give me a few days and I'll come up with a few dozen more - both bad and good - in some cases better than the original, and in that respect the first that comes to mind is Iggy Pop's version of "Real Wild Child", the original being a very lame rendition by Australian rocker Johnny O'Keefe.

As bad as the Sinatra cover is, I contend that Pat Boone's cover of Little Richard's "Good Golly Miss Molly" is even worse. Also on my bad cover list is William Shatner covering "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "Rocket Man".
Mark Aspam

Cover Songs

Post by Mark Aspam »

Wandrin;1459728 wrote: As bad as the Sinatra cover is, I contend that Pat Boone's cover of Little Richard's "Good Golly Miss Molly" is even worse. Also on my bad cover list is William Shatner covering "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" and "Rocket Man".When I was a kid, very few white kids had ever heard of Little Richard or Fats Domino, so without that comparison, Pat's versions of "GGMM" and "Ain't It/That a Shame" sounded pretty good.

I always regarded the Shatner recordings as little more than leg-pulls.

ADDED LATER: There was also a white singer, Georgia Gibbs, billed as "Her Nibs, Miss Georgia Gibbs", who covered a lot of LaVern Baker's hits.

And probably lots of others that I've forgotten.
LarsMac

Cover Songs

Post by LarsMac »

Steve Miller Band's cover of the old spiritual, sung by many of us during the days of Civil Rights movement:

The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Chloe_88

Cover Songs

Post by Chloe_88 »

Marilyn Manson singing sweet dreams (are made of this)

Weird weird cover...
recovering conservative

Cover Songs

Post by recovering conservative »

Sometimes covers are better than the original version of a song. Sometimes, someone else can take a song and make it their own if they have an original approach. Which brings to mind a cover version I found stumbling around on Youtube:

It was likely made in the late 90's, prior to the death of Stuart Adamson -

Big Country performing Springteen's "I'm On Fire:

Big Country - I'm on fire - YouTube

Return to “Music”