Sad songs...

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
theia

Sad songs...

Post by theia »

Gary Jules singing Mad World gets to me every time :-1
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Oscar Namechange

Sad songs...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

The First Time Ever I saw Your Face by Roberta Flack gets me.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
theia

Sad songs...

Post by theia »

Oscar Namechange;1463877 wrote: The First Time Ever I saw Your Face by Roberta Flack gets me.

Oh yes, me too!

And, Don't Give Up by Peter Gabriel, featuring Kate Bush
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Oscar Namechange

Sad songs...

Post by Oscar Namechange »

theia;1463878 wrote: Oh yes, me too!

And, Don't Give Up by Peter Gabriel, featuring Kate Bush

She was amazing on that.... so much feeling.

Black Coffee by The All Saints gets me also
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
kazalala

Sad songs...

Post by kazalala »

love all those,, especially dont give up ... this one is sad for me

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Sad songs...

Post by kazalala »

Cant remember how to have the youtube vid show up in the post:-2

FOC THREAD PART1

In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.

Martin Luther King Jr.
theia

Sad songs...

Post by theia »

I don't know that song, Kaz...but, from the little I heard on the clip, it sounds very poignant. I'll look it up on You Tube.
Betty Boop

Sad songs...

Post by Betty Boop »

This is a recent one that gets me...

Happy Ending - Mika (lyrics on screen) - YouTube

and a bit further down the line of hurt came this one that got to me too

theia

Sad songs...

Post by theia »

Betty Boop;1463897 wrote: This is a recent one that gets me...

and a bit further down the line of hurt came this one that got to me too

The first link says it's no longer available...I like the second...I didn't think I knew it until the "chorus."
Betty Boop

Sad songs...

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1463898 wrote: The first link says it's no longer available...I like the second...I didn't think I knew it until the "chorus."

Re did the link, try it again? Both worked for me so puzzled :-3
theia

Sad songs...

Post by theia »

No, it still says, this video is not available
kazalala

Sad songs...

Post by kazalala »

theia;1463902 wrote: No, it still says, this video is not available

which one theia? Mine? Its working for me,, well look for Hurt by Christina Aguilera :)

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Betty Boop

Sad songs...

Post by Betty Boop »

theia;1463902 wrote: No, it still says, this video is not available

it's Happy Ending, Mika. No idea why it won't work for you.
Bruv

Sad songs...

Post by Bruv »

All ways give me a lump.

I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
kazalala

Sad songs...

Post by kazalala »

Betty Boop;1463904 wrote: it's Happy Ending, Mika. No idea why it won't work for you.

that worked for me too

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
kazalala

Sad songs...

Post by kazalala »

Bruv;1463905 wrote: All ways give me a lump.

can you tell me how to post the video like that please :)

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
theia

Sad songs...

Post by theia »

kazalala;1463903 wrote: which one theia? Mine? Its working for me,, well look for Hurt by Christina Aguilera :)

Kaz, it might be something to do with me using an iPad, though I'm not sure why. Your link played for a while and Betty's second link was fine. But sometimes, links don't even show up for me on posts
kazalala

Sad songs...

Post by kazalala »

theia;1463912 wrote: Kaz, it might be something to do with me using an iPad, though I'm not sure why. Your link played for a while and Betty's second link was fine. But sometimes, links don't even show up for me on posts

hm,, strange. Maybe your flash needs updating? although i dont know if that would affect a link not even showing up

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
Bruv

Sad songs...

Post by Bruv »

@Kazalala

You seeing my link but not some of the others ?

It can't be your settings then, logically.

When copying and pasting the link (out of the address window in your browser) into the video posting window, take out the 's' in 'https' part of the address, so it looks thus 'http'................and it should work...........hopefully.
kazalala

Sad songs...

Post by kazalala »

Bruv;1463918 wrote: @Kazalala

You seeing my link but not some of the others ?

It can't be your settings then, logically.

When copying and pasting the link (out of the address window in your browser) into the video posting window, take out the 's' in 'https' part of the address, so it looks thus 'http'................and it should work...........hopefully.
No I can see your video and I can see the others but the others are a link and yours is showing the actual video without taking you to youtube,,, which is what i wanted to do :)

It worked ,, thank you :)

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.
spot

Sad songs...

Post by spot »

I hesitate to offer the sad song that gets me most. on the grounds that I might never be allowed to live it down.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
theia

Sad songs...

Post by theia »

spot;1463926 wrote: I hesitate to offer the sad song that gets me most. on the grounds that I might never be allowed to live it down.

You don't really believe any one of here would tease you about it, do you?

So, c'mon, what is it?
Bruv

Sad songs...

Post by Bruv »

theia;1463927 wrote: You don't really believe any one of here would tease you about it, do you?

So, c'mon, what is it?

I am guessing "Two Little Boys" Rolf Harris.......(purely on it's musical content)
spot

Sad songs...

Post by spot »

theia;1463927 wrote: You don't really believe any one of here would tease you about it, do you?

So, c'mon, what is it?

I stand no chance, I shall be mocked for hours. Johnny Preston's Running Bear. I plead in extenuation some traumatic incident around the time it came out though I have no idea at all what it might have been, my mind's a blank. It gets me every time.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
theia

Sad songs...

Post by theia »

spot;1463929 wrote: I stand no chance, I shall be mocked for hours. Johnny Preston's Running Bear. I plead in extenuation some traumatic incident around the time it came out though I have no idea at all what it might have been, my mind's a blank. It gets me every time.

I remember that one from my childhood. I've just played it online and realise that, for over 50 years, I thought he was singing, "little white girl" not "little white dove."

So...
FourPart

Sad songs...

Post by FourPart »

One of my favourites for having a poignant meaning (especially so this year) is this one:

Snowfire

Sad songs...

Post by Snowfire »

No doubt for me. This is Sarah McLachlan....Angel

Sad but exquisitely beautiful

"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
gmc

Sad songs...

Post by gmc »

The original version

theia

Sad songs...

Post by theia »

Snowfire;1463933 wrote: No doubt for me. This is Sarah McLachlan....Angel

Sad but exquisitely beautiful

Very haunting, Snowfire, and beautiful lyrics
theia

Sad songs...

Post by theia »

FourPart;1463931 wrote: One of my favourites for having a poignant meaning (especially so this year) is this one:

Your link doesn't appear for me on your post, only when I quote you here, but then I can't do anything with it. Maybe when I post I shall be able to link to it

ETA...nothing...any chance of a title and an artist?
AnneBoleyn

Sad songs...

Post by AnneBoleyn »

"Smile"

FourPart

Sad songs...

Post by FourPart »

theia;1463942 wrote: Your link doesn't appear for me on your post, only when I quote you here, but then I can't do anything with it. Maybe when I post I shall be able to link to it

ETA...nothing...any chance of a title and an artist?
Strange. It's displaying in both my post & your quote.

The piece is Mike Harding, with "Christmas 1914", which tells the true story of the WW1 Xmas truce, where they all played football on no-man's land & then couldn't bring themselves to fight any more.

The full link...

spot

Sad songs...

Post by spot »

I remember back in the 60s buying... lordy my memory needs time to come up with the goods these days... an album by Paul Revere and the Raiders called Revolution. Which didn't actually have the track of theirs that I was trying to mention because that only came out later. But it's why I knew back then about Paul Revere and the Raiders even though I was in England.

The track which is relevant to the thread as a sad song is Indian Reservation. Most people may well have never heard either it or them. It's effective though, the song. It sets out to make a point and it makes it and it's a distinctly sad point from start to finish.

I don't know anyone else who might spend the best part of an hour playing an album like Revolution. It reconnects me with who I once was. There's precious little of that person left but music can still cut across the gap.

Snooz

Sad songs...

Post by Snooz »

If a bunch of white guys tried to record a song like that now, they'd be tarred and feathered for "cultural appropriation", the latest trendy internet rage maker.
spot

Sad songs...

Post by spot »

Snooz;1463947 wrote: If a bunch of white guys tried to record a song like that now, they'd be tarred and feathered for "cultural appropriation", the latest trendy internet rage maker.

I say - are you really still allowed to say tarred and feathered?

I'd assumed the members of the Raiders were in some way connected with an indigenous heritage. Ah well - at least we still have Buffy Sainte-Marie.
Snooz

Sad songs...

Post by Snooz »

It's "lynching" we're not allowed to use anymore.
LarsMac

Sad songs...

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1463952 wrote: It's "lynching" we're not allowed to use anymore.

I suspect that if we tried to Tar and Feather someone these days, we would be taken to task.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Sad songs...

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1463951 wrote: I say - are you really still allowed to say tarred and feathered?

I'd assumed the members of the Raiders were in some way connected with an indigenous heritage. Ah well - at least we still have Buffy Sainte-Marie.

in the Late 60s, early 70s, everyone was getting into that "social Consciousness" phase, and we had rediscovered the "Indians" thanks to AIM

As for that song, I first heard it in 1960 on an Oklahoma radio station.

The author was Marvin Rainwater, a Country Singer-Songwriter who was a half-breed Cherokee.

- DH Lawrence
High Threshold

Sad songs...

Post by High Threshold »

Oscar Namechange;1463877 wrote: The First Time Ever I saw Your Face by Roberta Flack gets me.

I KNEW you were going to say that! :)
High Threshold

Sad songs...

Post by High Threshold »

MY BID:

1. Elton John

2. Billie Holliday

3. Bobby Vee

4. Adele

5. The Beatles

6. The Beatles again

G#Gill

Sad songs...

Post by G#Gill »

It is so good to see somebody who can use a microphone properly ! What a song, and what a singer !

LeAnn Rimes - How Do I Live [Live] [HQ] - YouTube
I'm a Saga-lout, growing old disgracefully
FourPart

Sad songs...

Post by FourPart »

Fine voice & song I grant you, but how is that using a microphone properly? She's got it right up to her face all the time. There's no need to do that with a microphone at all. If you think about it, why should they even have to carry a mic at all? There are clip on radio mics that do just as good a job. There are directional mics that work from offstage, eliminating any audience sound. There are mics mounted in the gantry. Carrying a mic at all is just a security blanket.
G#Gill

Sad songs...

Post by G#Gill »

This man has such a gorgeous voice, and does the song justice......brilliant !

Scott Walker - If You Go Away - YouTube
G#Gill

Sad songs...

Post by G#Gill »

FourPart;1463984 wrote: Fine voice & song I grant you, but how is that using a microphone properly? She's got it right up to her face all the time. There's no need to do that with a microphone at all. If you think about it, why should they even have to carry a mic at all? There are clip on radio mics that do just as good a job. There are directional mics that work from offstage, eliminating any audience sound. There are mics mounted in the gantry. Carrying a mic at all is just a security blanket.

You see, you didn't notice. It was very subtle, as she just moved the mike slightly to one side when she was singing strong/high notes so she didn't distort the audio. She moved it just enough to make that difference. Yes, FourPart I do know about all these different types of microphone, but there are some vocalists who prefer to hold a microphone for whatever reason.
LarsMac

Sad songs...

Post by LarsMac »

FourPart;1463984 wrote: Fine voice & song I grant you, but how is that using a microphone properly? She's got it right up to her face all the time. There's no need to do that with a microphone at all. If you think about it, why should they even have to carry a mic at all? There are clip on radio mics that do just as good a job. There are directional mics that work from offstage, eliminating any audience sound. There are mics mounted in the gantry. Carrying a mic at all is just a security blanket.

A lot of old school artist like using hand mikes. Call it what you will, but look at Elton's Mike. This is not unusual.

Besides, with a mike in their face, you can't tell if they are lip-synching.
- DH Lawrence
Snooz

Sad songs...

Post by Snooz »

LarsMac;1463955 wrote: I suspect that if we tried to Tar and Feather someone these days, we would be taken to task.

I meant the use of the word, not the use of the act itself. Goober.
LarsMac

Sad songs...

Post by LarsMac »

Snooz;1463995 wrote: I meant the use of the word, not the use of the act itself. Goober.

Ummm, ah, ...

yeah, i, ah, ...

I knew that. :D
- DH Lawrence
G#Gill

Sad songs...

Post by G#Gill »

spot;1463946 wrote: I remember back in the 60s buying... lordy my memory needs time to come up with the goods these days... an album by Paul Revere and the Raiders called Revolution. Which didn't actually have the track of theirs that I was trying to mention because that only came out later. But it's why I knew back then about Paul Revere and the Raiders even though I was in England.

The track which is relevant to the thread as a sad song is Indian Reservation. Most people may well have never heard either it or them. It's effective though, the song. It sets out to make a point and it makes it and it's a distinctly sad point from start to finish.

I don't know anyone else who might spend the best part of an hour playing an album like Revolution. It reconnects me with who I once was. There's precious little of that person left but music can still cut across the gap.

I can remember this track, Spot, and at the time it came out I was most impressed with it and I totally sympathised with the plight of the native indians. After all they were there first and they were always given a very rough time by the 'invading' white people. I always felt that these 'invaders' had no right at all to take any of the land from the already existing peoples. Sheer greed. I had a great liking for the American indians and their culture and beliefs. The human being didn't own any land - they were guests and should treat the earth with great respect and take care of it.

They fascinated me when I was in my teens and they still fascinate me ! In my time I have bought several tapes/discs that were made to raise funds for legal representation for the native indians in their on-going fight for justice. A very sad situation for them.

Oh and by the way, I had forgotten that Marvin Rainwater had such a gorgeous voice - perhaps I think that his version of "Indian Reservation" was the best version ?

One of the tracks that was included in one of the many tapes I bought - perhaps it is familiar to you ? I find it a very haunting and thought-provoking track.

Ly-O-Lay Ale Loya (Circle Dance) - YouTube

and another......................

Sacred Spirit.Yeha-Noha(Wishes Of Happiness And Prosperity) - YouTube
G#Gill

Sad songs...

Post by G#Gill »

High Threshold;1463978 wrote: MY BID:

1. Elton John

2. Billie Holliday

3. Bobby Vee

4. Adele

5. The Beatles

6. The Beatles again

Good selection there, HT ! That Elton John track "Song For Guy" I believe Elton wrote it for one of his roadies (whose name was, I think, Guy ) who was tragically killed in an accident at around that time. Which makes the song even more poignant.
kazalala

Sad songs...

Post by kazalala »

High Threshold;1463978 wrote: MY BID:

1. Elton John

2. Billie Holliday

3. Bobby Vee

4. Adele

5. The Beatles

6. The Beatles again

Strange Fruit has to be the saddest :(

FOC THREAD PART1

Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Music”