What software for novice web designer

Jcas

Post by Jcas »

I didn't know if this belonged in computers or here. If wrong section, i apologize.

I am wanting to learn how to build my own web site, can anybody please recommend

which software is more user friendly for a novice to use?
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

What kind of a website do you want to build? That makes a big difference to the software you might use. For instance, anyone can make a small personal website, all free, on Yahoo Geocities or Angelfire, for example - and experimenting here is a very good way to learn. They host the site and provide templates etc, plus ways to upload without the need of ftp clients. For a larger personal site, I really like Dreamweaver which is intuitive and user friendly but also offers just lots of capabilities. For a business site - you'd need specific advice, depending on your needs.

Dreamweaver costs though. (I reckon it's well worth the expense). If you're a student, there is a cheaper version available. Otherwise, look at Tucows for downloading free or shareware web editors.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

spot

Post by spot »

I hate to bang a drum here, but you could have a quick look at http://www.forumgarden.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=13462

I agree with AussiePam, you probably need a package and a hint of what you aim to achieve is needed before we can point you to a suitable package that allows you to handle just content and not mere code.

The recommendation in the first paragraph of post 1 of that thread might apply to what you need, you could try it and see.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

WOW Spot!! Didn't realise all that was there... pam scurries back into her dark geek box
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

G-man

Post by G-man »

Yup... it all depends on what type of site you want to create... I prefer Macromedia Dreamweaver for most of my sites, but... I pretty much use everything that is available out there... I'd begin by looking at sites that already exist that you like and see what software they use... jot down what features you want for your site and see what software is capable of doing that or is best suited for the things you wish for it to be capable of doing.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

Jcas

Post by Jcas »

All i am needing is a small personal site for my dog breeding, i did one before with net objects fusion, but no longer have the software or the backup and don't know how to edit it, so thought i would start again.
spot

Post by spot »

If you'd like to tell us the URL the site was at, we can look at it (even if it's not there any longer) and give an opinion.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

http://members.freewebs.com/

really good for beginners ;)
Jcas

Post by Jcas »

If you'd like to tell us the URL the site was at, we can look at it (even if it's not there any longer) and give an opinion.

Thanks for help here is link, it is still up , http://www.southcom.com.au/~jnacas/index.html

The email link doesn't work as i changed email adress and didn't know how to change it properly, that is the correct adress but because i didnt enter it properly doesn't work. Sorry to be such a dummy, total novice at this.:-3

Thanks for that link buttercup. it looks good.

Return to “Web Design Art Forum”