Madonna of the Apples

User avatar
jones jones
Posts: 6601
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:30 am

Madonna of the Apples

Post by jones jones »

I keep asking myself if one is born with the talent to paint like this or if it is taught?



(See First Reply)
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
User avatar
jones jones
Posts: 6601
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:30 am

Madonna of the Apples

Post by jones jones »



Joseph Kleitsch

Madonna of the Apples

1927



Denise Mickilowski

Pomegranates with Hypericum
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
User avatar
YZGI
Posts: 11525
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:24 am

Madonna of the Apples

Post by YZGI »

That reminds me of a question I've always had.

Should a painting look like its been painted or is it better if it looks like it was a picture?
User avatar
jones jones
Posts: 6601
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:30 am

Madonna of the Apples

Post by jones jones »

YZGI;1383879 wrote: That reminds me of a question I've always had.

Should a painting look like its been painted or is it better if it looks like it was a picture?




Well that is what started the great debate about realism as opposed to impressionism. Personallyl I believe that if a work of art pleases your eye, then that is all that matters.

I enjoy most art, from what we call the "chocolate box" paintings, right thru to Salvador Dali. I am not that keen on the abstract Picasso type of paintings, but they sure as hell fetch top dollar at auctions!
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
Bruv
Posts: 12181
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:05 pm

Madonna of the Apples

Post by Bruv »

Like any skill it is inborn, but can be improved by practice.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
User avatar
jones jones
Posts: 6601
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:30 am

Madonna of the Apples

Post by jones jones »

Bruv;1383887 wrote: Like any skill it is inborn, but can be improved by practice.


I guess so ... but I think its maybe 90% born and 10% learnt.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters
gmc
Posts: 13566
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:44 am

Madonna of the Apples

Post by gmc »

jones jones;1383876 wrote: I keep asking myself if one is born with the talent to paint like this or if it is taught?



(See First Reply)


Both IMO. you can be taught to draw but will never match someone with real talent.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2011) - Official Trailer [HD] - YouTube

If you can watch the documentary please do so, it is fascinating, crap doc maker (well i found him a bit pretentious) but the paintings are worth waiting to see.

This doesn't do it justice in quite the way the doc does, but you get the picture :yh_rotfl

THE DAWN OF ART - YouTube

Course if you are a Christian fundamentalist it's the work of the devil
User avatar
YZGI
Posts: 11525
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:24 am

Madonna of the Apples

Post by YZGI »

jones jones;1383886 wrote: Well that is what started the great debate about realism as opposed to impressionism. Personallyl I believe that if a work of art pleases your eye, then that is all that matters.

I enjoy most art, from what we call the "chocolate box" paintings, right thru to Salvador Dali. I am not that keen on the abstract Picasso type of paintings, but they sure as hell fetch top dollar at auctions!


I reckon you're right. Whatever floats your boat.
User avatar
jones jones
Posts: 6601
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:30 am

Madonna of the Apples

Post by jones jones »

gmc;1383896 wrote: Both IMO. you can be taught to draw but will never match someone with real talent.

Cave of Forgotten Dreams (2011) - Official Trailer [HD] - YouTube

If you can watch the documentary please do so, it is fascinating, crap doc maker (well i found him a bit pretentious) but the paintings are worth waiting to see.

This doesn't do it justice in quite the way the doc does, but you get the picture :yh_rotfl

THE DAWN OF ART - YouTube

Course if you are a Christian fundamentalist it's the work of the devil




I'll go take a look asap.
"…I hate how I don’t feel real enough unless people are watching." — Chuck Palahniuk, Invisible Monsters

Return to “Web Design Art Forum”