Who's your favourite artist?

koan

Post by koan »

I have always loved Salvador Dali. Everyone knows the melting clocks but I find all of his artwork stunning and provacative.

What art do you like? And why?
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

Landscapes. Favourite artist, John Constable (1776-1837)

Attached files
Lon

Post by Lon »

I am quite fond of Norman Rockwell, partly because I had a "Saturday Evening Post" route when I was s kid, and of course much of his work appeared on the cover. I also enjoy art work that looks almost like a photo with such fine detail. Modern & Cubist have never been my cup of tea, despite having taken some art appreciation courses.
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

dali was an early favorite of mine. i have a print of raphael's 'alba madonna', that i cut out of a book when i was in my teens and mounted on a bit of poster board, and - faded, water spots, dusty - it hangs next to the shower where i can see it every day. i had the good fortune to see the alba madonna at the national gallery in washington D.C. at one point in my twenties. it was a revelation, to say the least. having seen only prints in books - a circle no more than ten inches across - to see it at its actual size, more than three feet across - well, it was a good thing there was a bench nearby.

i love the impressionists, but i also love ancient assyrian art. god, i can't say i have a favorite artist. picasso, miro, michaelangelo, da vinci, klimpt, mondrian, durer, matisse, hopper, bruegel, vermeer, and on and on and on.

wow. my appetite's been whetted. i need to get out my old art books.
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
john8pies

Post by john8pies »

Dali, Magrit, Monet, Picasso and all for different reasons. But Dali is surely the most iconic artist ever!
abbey

Post by abbey »

Monet, romantic "chocolate box" images.

David Hockney, pop art.

L.S Lowry, gritty northern England industrial images.
buttercup

Post by buttercup »

dont really have a fav artist, each couple of years or so i have a fav pic

at the moment its a dali (the torreador)
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

always loved him for his tropical themes and colours............Paul Gauguin Paintings

Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

Joan Miro
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
Jika

Post by Jika »

a couple of favourites that come to mind are;

Wassily Kandinsky ~ for his breathtaking use of colour and to quote someone else

"...his use of tone, timbre, hue and pitch."

he himself, as an accomplished musician once said..."colour is the keyboard, the eyes are the harmonies, the soul is the piano with many strings."

and

Frederick McCubbin~ Australian landscape impressionist extraordinaire.

His works are light-filled, pure, landscapes with a strong reference to the english master Turner.

Bothwell

Post by Bothwell »

Oh and just to add IMO the greatest fraud of the last century Andy Warhol!!!

I love both modern and classical art but the man was a charlatan who must have been the model for the fairy story "The Emporer's New Clothes" ( I know it was written long before Warhol).

Poussin, Turner's seascapes
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
spot

Post by spot »

George Romney. I'm entranced by his ability to show you the particular facets of what's in front of him that he's determined to project into the future. I can think of no other artist who came close to it. He skimps, he ignores, he neglects, he brushes swathes of his painting into juvenile irrelevance, just to catch the eyes, or the blush, or the lip, or the hair.

Hockney, his opera sets and his Grand Canyon series in particular. I spent a day walking round the former in the Hayward Gallery, and I think the space contributed a great deal to the overall effect. Seeing so many of them together, and the models from which they'd been worked up, was the first time I realized that he was such a giant. The Grand Canyon series was the highlight of the Royal Academy Summer Exhibition six years ago, and it shone. Again, the space was perfect, but even so it was breathtaking. I have a room here in which the print of it that I bought on the way out is the only decoration.

Aubrey Beardsley's drawings are so instantly distinct and perfect, and yet he was dead at 25. To have such a vision, style and capacity to create, straight from the starting block, is uncanny. Like the boy Chatterton, but in a different medium. Anyway, Beardsley's on my list of what I like, and that's why.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
minks

Post by minks »

Ansel Adams... his black and white work is awesome, I like Escher as well.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

If anyone has ever been to Northern Ireland, the Falls Road,Nationalists Republican Artists

Attached files
abbey

Post by abbey »

One that i dont "get" is Jackson Pollock, what's that about. :-2

Attached files
anastrophe

Post by anastrophe »

i don't love pollock, but i do like his work. some of it. abstract is abstract, it either speaks to you or not, no reference points to say 'i like it because of xyz' in a way!
[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][/FONT]
abbey

Post by abbey »

It just always amazed me that someone could pay so much money

for a painting that someone else has thrown and dribbled paint all over it,

and the end result looks like one of my dads paint/dust sheets, then titled it #8

http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/po ... mber-8.jpg
spot

Post by spot »

The series from which you posted an example, abbey - consists of the creation of a template by, as you say, throwing. There's a ground of heavier paint, crossings of thick but finer lines, each of which Pollock has allowed to dry. It's what he does next that's the art, if you like. He takes that landscape he's created with that fixed technique but random application, and he searches it to find where the other world beyond it comes through. He paints in detail, close up and by hand and deliberately, at those intersections. The result - the searching of his own work, the ability to position elements in tension, builds something that can nail you to the floor in front of it. I must say, though, that I don't get the same reaction from looking at either prints or photo-books of the works.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

I love ANSEL ADAMS.. :-4 Georgia Okeffe, and of course the masters.. CHAGALL, MONET, RUBEN, REMBRANT, PICASSO, AND MANY MORE. They all are special.

And of course my 7 year old granddaughter NIKKI her art work is priceless.. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

koan wrote: I have always loved Salvador Dali. Everyone knows the melting clocks but I find all of his artwork stunning and provacative.

What art do you like? And why?

I like your question though its a bit like trying to pick your favorite snowflake during a snowstorm. Ive been to the Dali museum in St. Petersburg Fl. its spectacular. I appreciate Da Vinci's work especially the drawings.

I have some unknown artists work in the house that give me great pleasure.

But right now my wife & I are in a Renaldo Laurent phase.

I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Post by spot »

I'd be interested to see an Ansel Adams print, but I don't know of anywhere in England that exhibits his work.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Ansel Adam prints are everywhere ! I have 2 in my closet.

Punch in Ansel Adams on google youll be Anseled Adam-ed through next week. :wah:
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Or did you mean original photographs ? Probably you did. My wife & I saw a Adams show in Florida a few yrs ago but over there who knows ?

Call a dealer they know whats coming up.
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Post by spot »

Given that his art consists of the quality of his photography, I didn't think browsing a book of his images, or looking at the local art-shop wall hanging, would quite do him justice.

If a gallery in England decides to gather a show together - and I'm sure it'll happen sometime - I'll get to it.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I like his work & like like his subject matter but its so stark, I have a hard time getting really involved in it.

Im going more for vibrance now.
I AM AWESOME MAN
BabyRider

Post by BabyRider »

I am not big into art, don't know much about it at all, I just know what I like. I like Thomas Kincaid.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

You know all you need to know...............you know what you like ! :)
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

Post by spot »

BabyRider wrote: I am not big into art, don't know much about it at all, I just know what I like. I like Thomas Kincaid.I've never seen an original BR, but if his series of church buildings is representative then yes, I can see why people would be attracted to his work. He travels a lot, by the look of them.
spot

Post by spot »

tmbsgrl wrote: I am not all that into Art but I so like a lot of Monet & Picasso.And the great thing about a Monet or Picasso is that if you get bored with it eventually, it won't have depreciated, you'll get your money back.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

T.K. is very unique in his style & the way he brings his settings to life.

Its almost as if you become immersed in the town or street he portrays.

I also know his method of reproducing his work into print is unique in that resembles the texture of the original painting.

I think his prints are limited as well.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Lizzie Love

Post by Lizzie Love »

Love the Renaldo Laurent picture which was posted. Where can i see more of this remarkable stuff. Colour is everything to me and this is stunning.

thankyou for posting it.

namaste

Lizzie Love :-4
"Peace begins with a smile"

Mother Theresa
Tan

Post by Tan »

I LOVE Salvador Dali. He's my favorite. I used to be a big Andy Warhol fan until I learned more about art.
Tan
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I cant find anything on him Lizzie but if you enjoy vibrancy this artist might be to your liking. Ive got this print in a redwood frame with a reddish suede matting its stunning.http://www.michaels.com/art/online/arti ... geNumber=2

I AM AWESOME MAN
Lizzie Love

Post by Lizzie Love »

Thanks HB I have been looking for some new prints for my new house and these are really gorgeous.

I have visited Picasso's museum in Barcelona several times and although I don't pretend to understand some (most) of his work, the collection is quite impressive.

the one of his with the flowers and the doves are simpler and quite beautiful, but art is perhaps like music appealing to different people for different reasons.

My dad painted me the Sunflowers (painting by numbers) he is 78 and not in the best of health, the picture is however as good as any print or copy, and the fact that my dad did it for me when he can hardly see and sometimes cannot sit for very long, makes it truly a thing of beauty.

namaste

lizzie Love

Mother Theresa
nvalleyvee

Post by nvalleyvee »

I like M.C. Esher. But the art on my walls are Amando Marilio Pena, Gorman and a couple of unknown but very good Indian artists. I am into SW art and pottery. I started many many years ago collecting what I liked.
The growth of knowledge depends entirely on disagreement..........Karl R. Popper
Lizzie Love

Post by Lizzie Love »

Sounds interesting, are they colourful? Colour is main attraction for me and I like Van Gogh's mate who did the hawaiian girls, reds and blues especially I love but real vibrancy is what i like, can't remember the artists name. Oh and there is a series of great pictures in the scottish national gallery, the argument between Oberon and Titania (3 altogether I think) the detail there is quite profound.

My partner goes for Girl with a Pearl earring and the dutch masters and he is a big fan of Pollock, not my cuppa though.

But any links to the Indian prints you mention are welcome. Oh and in Barbados this year there was a great young artist selling the most amazing prints depicting life there. Again yummy colours and very vibrant.

God, I am beginning to think my house will probably look like a kaleidoscope to new visitors, I work a lot with colour with my clients, so that is probably why.

anyway NV let me know of any links, all are welcome.

Namaste

ps what is SW art? forgive my ignorance I have some Poole pottery

Mother Theresa
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

For me, it has to be M. C. Esher! My local hospital has huge prints of his work all around the waiting room! Fab!

And my daughters pics as well! Her school have officially labelled her as a GOATS -

which means a Gifted and Outstandingly Able Talented Student, in the field of Art! Yay! :-6
A Karenina

Post by A Karenina »

Artemisia Gentileschi. Her art is stunning, but so was her life.

Attached files
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit.

Aristotle
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Lizzie Love wrote: Sounds interesting, are they colourful? Colour is main attraction for me and I like Van Gogh's mate who did the hawaiian girls, reds and blues especially I love but real vibrancy is what i like, can't remember the artists name. Oh and there is a series of great pictures in the scottish national gallery, the argument between Oberon and Titania (3 altogether I think) the detail there is quite profound.

My partner goes for Girl with a Pearl earring and the dutch masters and he is a big fan of Pollock, not my cuppa though.

But any links to the Indian prints you mention are welcome. Oh and in Barbados this year there was a great young artist selling the most amazing prints depicting life there. Again yummy colours and very vibrant.

God, I am beginning to think my house will probably look like a kaleidoscope to new visitors, I work a lot with colour with my clients, so that is probably why.

anyway NV let me know of any links, all are welcome.

Namaste

ps what is SW art? forgive my ignorance I have some Poole pottery

On a side note for your new house I painted 2 walls in the dining rm a deep red I know it sounds scary but if you like vibrancy youll like the effect

you put the right piece of art over it and voila very nice have fun Liz
I AM AWESOME MAN
Lance 626

Post by Lance 626 »

Jack Shadbolt rules! get some one from Canada in here!(or Emily Carr)or how about Leslie Pool!lets be careful out there.
BTS

Post by BTS »

I like a few different styles but Western Art is my favorite.

I think the best one going now is Larry Zabel.

It might be that his daughter was my first serious crush in school............Naw I just like his art....

"If America Was A Tree, The Left Would Root For The Termites...Greg Gutfeld."
actionfigurestepho

Post by actionfigurestepho »

ArnoldLayne wrote: I remember seeing as a young boy " Christ of Saint John on the Cross " by Salvador Dali. I was blown away by this painting and still am.

I wish I could link a photo here (Im a computer gimp !)

Isn't that the one that's a crucifixion from one angle and a bullfight from another? He has one like that, although I forget the title.

Dali is hands down my favorite artist! Everyone knows him for surrealism but he has some later stuff that's just absolutely out of this world, complex...he was definately a bit of a psychotic genius.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

I visited the Dali museum in St Pete Fl a couple times....delusionally & chaotically brilliant Id say.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

This was a gift from my wife before we got married. We were walking through an art fest and it jumped out at me. I told her if there were one thing I could have here it would be this.

A week later it was in my house...she got the artists card when I wasnt looking and unbelievably this girl sent it no payment recieved to a complete stranger.

It was for Valentines Day so my wife got her to do it...very cool and trusting I thought.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bez

Post by Bez »

I like Claude Monets pictures....I guess it's because they normally represent landscapes and gardens etc.

I particularly like this one called ANTIBES....and WATER LILIES
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
Mary_acd

Post by Mary_acd »

erm a different kind of art perhaps to all your other replies but equally as important i think!

Sophie Calle- all of her work. She doesn't paint pictures but her work is fun and I find it really interesting.

Mary

Return to “Web Design Art Forum”