Stunning Find Behind a da Vinci Painting

Nomad

Post by Nomad »

A new Leonardo da Vinci drawing has been found hidden beneath the surface of one of the artist's most honored works, "The Virgin of the Rocks," report the BBC News and Reuters. The painting, which stands 6 feet-two inches tall, shows the Virgin Mary kneeling in a cave with the infant Jesus and Saint John.

Da Vinci painted two versions of "The Virgin of the Rocks," one in 1483 and one in 1508. What is thought to be the superior of the two hangs in The Louvre in Paris, while the other hangs in Britain's National Gallery. The stunning find was under the British painting.

It was while the curators were studying how da Vinci copied his original painting that they found the uncompleted drawing. Infrared scanning allowed them to see through the layers of paint on the picture hanging in the London gallery.

Interestingly, there were two levels of drawings under the painting. One was for "The Virgin of the Rocks," while the other was for a different painting altogether showing the Virgin kneeling with a downcast gaze. She holds one hand to her breast and dramatically stretches out the fingers of her other hand so that they meet the picture edges. The fact that the drawing is so different than the painting has a special meaning. "You can never call this a straightforward copy again because Leonardo clearly wanted to start something new," National Gallery curator Luke Syson told BBC radio.

Why did da Vinci paint "The Virgin of the Rocks" twice? The first one was commissioned in 1483 by the Milanese Confraternity of the Immaculate Conception for a chapel altarpiece. Upon completion, the artist demanded a large bonus, which the Confraternity refused to pay. So da Vinci sold it elsewhere. This is the one that hangs in The Louvre. Years later, the Confraternity asked da Vinci for a replacement, which is the one that is now in Britain. The researchers believe that the Confraternity rejected da Vinci's new idea and demanded he repaint the one they had originally commissioned. "I suspect he was forced to abandon this new very beautiful idea," Syson told the BBC. "In a way it's a terrible pity."
I AM AWESOME MAN
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

the painting is stunningly gorgeous. it was not uncommon for the old masters to paint over and over their own works, it was an economy. they used canvas repeatedly to save money. da Vinci didn't know he would be one of the great masters of all time. he just needed to save some lira. many renaissance paintings hide prior works.
spot

Post by spot »

lady cop wrote: he just needed to save some lira. many renaissance paintings hide prior works. Call me a pedant, but the lira came in with Napoleon. Leonardo would probably have used florins.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

spot wrote: Call me a pedant, but the lira came in with Napoleon. Leonardo would probably have used florins. you are such a nit-picking ass. this post of yours proves it. it doesn't matter if it was francs or euros. the point remains the same and i am sure anyone who read it got it. ...sorry Human. once again spot has marred a nice thread, i feel i must apologize for his crass stupidity.
clavin

Post by clavin »

Leonardo da Vinci was a master at hiding things.

I recently read "The Da Vinci Code"

The book is fantastick, hope the movie will be as good.

Claude

Somewhere Safe to Learn Forum
ComfortablyNumb

Post by ComfortablyNumb »

Since there are two and the British one is inferior maybe they should strip it back and allow us ro see what Da Vinci wanted to paint.

I want to read the Da Vinci code so don't tell me about it!
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

SnoozeControl wrote: You're a pedant. :)whch is why he's gone.
StupidCowboyTricks

Post by StupidCowboyTricks »

SnoozeControl wrote: You're a pedant. :)
shades of "V" in here. How's your Mum by the way Snooze.
Someone asked me why I swear so much. I said, "Just becuss.":)

chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Another analysis of the painting, it is a hot topic for art historian majors currently.

(I asked my daughter, who studies art in college)

http://www.lairweb.org.nz/leonardo/rocks.html

On the 25th April 1483, Leonardo was contracted to deliver an altarpiece which would decorate the chapel of the Immacolata at the church of San Francesco Grande in Milan. At the same time Evangelista De Predis was assigned the task of carrying out the gilding, colouring and retouching with his brother Ambrogio to do side panels. Giacomo del Maino was commissioned to carve the framework and once finished the pieces would resemble a miniature temple. Leonardo's contract had a very short deadline which required the painting be delivered before December 8th, the feast of the Immaculate Conception, (this strongly suggests that the artists already had a cartoon prepared), but as was typical of him he failed to comply; this piece then became the source of two lengthy lawsuits which lasted for the many, many years.

Two versions of this painting exist, one at the Louvre in Paris and the second held by the National Gallery in London. Experts have studied both closely and consider the Louvre version to be entirely by Leonardo, while the National Gallery version is still the source of some debate. The favoured suggestion is that de Predis and Leonardo collaborated on this painting after he failed to meet his contractual obligations. Others think Leonardo was less involved in the second version and apart from a few touches, he simply oversaw de Predis. The Louvre painting may have been given by Leonardo to King Louis XII of France in gratitude for settling the law suit between those who commissioned the works and the painters; this would have created the need for a second artwork.

Critics continue to take issue with which is the earlier version of Virgin of the Rocks and there is no proof either way. It appears that the style of the Louvre version belongs more to the 1480s and this painting was probably completed early in 1490. The London painting is a more mature work and assuming it is the later version, dates to around 1506.

Return to “Web Design Art Forum”