Internet overlay could boost performance

Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Uh-huh. And you have millions of people like me who are still in areas that are not served by DSL, Cable, or any type of reasonable broadband. I have Satellite - but it's worse than dialup for any other than casual web browsing.

These higher level protocols will be nothing more than a more advanced way to tag every device and identify every device's owner. Think you have privacy problems now on the Internet? Just you wait!
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.
Peg

Post by Peg »

How is satellite worse than dial up? For that matter, how is anything worse than dial up LOL. Does cloud coverage affect you in any way? Just curious.
Tombstone

Post by Tombstone »

Hi Peg,

Since the satellites are so high up, the latency is 10X greater than dialup and the packet loss is usually around 25% or 75% during peak times - which is completely unacceptable.

Also, the upload speeds are much slower than dialup. Sure, casual browsing is usually okay, but if you want to play games, interact with an offsite computer, do programming, use SSH, telnet, or ftp, or anything else that requires a "stable" or low latency connection - satellite is disappointing. When you compare it to cable or DSL, it's like comparing a 1952 VW Bug to a 2004 Porsche.

I have pretty good signal strength (around 80) - it's just the darn latency. And oh yes, I feel impacted by it since my job requires a better connection - and I often resort to dialup to get my work done.
Please use the "contact us" button if you need to contact a ForumGarden admin.

Return to “Web Design Art Forum”