What would Socrates do?

coberst

What would Socrates do?

Post by coberst »

What would Socrates do?

Socrates sought to save Athenian society by making it self-critical.

Imagine that you and many other colorblind people live on this isolated island. All inhabitants are colorblind from birth and know nothing about color; there is no word for color in their vocabulary.

Assume Fred is a health nut who exercises constantly and is always advising others to start a strict exercise routine for their health. Fred is well liked but most people on the island think that he over emphasizes the value of exercise.

One day after pursuing a specific exercises routine Fred become conscious of color. He is shocked and frightened and discontinues the exercise. Many weeks later curiosity gets the best of him and he returns to the exercise routine and there again appears the perception of color.

Fred experiments with this matter and concludes that when he performs the afore mentioned exercise routine he can perceive color constantly.

If you were Fred would you inform your friends and acquaintances of this occurrence?

How would you explain this perception to others?

How would others respond to your efforts to explain what happened?

I suspect most individuals would walk away from such seeming non-sense with a shrug and a grin. Suppose some of those making the proscribed effort found it to be a bore and a struggle and lost enthusiasm.

Does this little game of make-believe give you a better appreciation of why the Athenians executed Socrates for “corrupting the youth”?
Snowfire

What would Socrates do?

Post by Snowfire »

He would firstly have to explain to himself the concept of colour before translating that to his friends. Would he have the concept of beauty, wonderment ? would that at least partly help in explaining the emotions he felt as he saw the clours flash before him. That may at least help persuade his friends that, if they took up vigorous exercise, they too could experience the wonder and beauty of colour.

I'm not even sure we possess the vocabulary to describe colour to ourselves and to others if we have never had the experience of it, other than to describe the emotion it gives us. If that makes sense.
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Rapunzel

What would Socrates do?

Post by Rapunzel »

coberst;1180487 wrote: If you were Fred would you inform your friends and acquaintances of this occurrence?

How would you explain this perception to others?

How would others respond to your efforts to explain what happened?

I suspect most individuals would walk away from such seeming non-sense with a shrug and a grin. Suppose some of those making the proscribed effort found it to be a bore and a struggle and lost enthusiasm.

Does this little game of make-believe give you a better appreciation of why the Athenians executed Socrates for “corrupting the youth”?

Tell Fred to watch 'Pleasantville'. He will realise that trying to teach others to be different results in being ostracized and vilified. Tell him to re-powder his nose and stick to seeing things in monochrome. The majority of society is blinkered in oh so many ways.
Rapunzel

What would Socrates do?

Post by Rapunzel »

Fred will probably be made to drink Hemlock to restore the status quo.

Return to “Philosophy”