Age...

theia

Age...

Post by theia »

what is it? Is it the number of years our bodies have been alive? Is it more to do with mental attitude? Is it merely illusory, or a social construction, or a belief?

I'm just wondering...
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bryn Mawr

Age...

Post by Bryn Mawr »

theia;1286142 wrote: what is it? Is it the number of years our bodies have been alive? Is it more to do with mental attitude? Is it merely illusory, or a social construction, or a belief?

I'm just wondering...

Mental attitude - I've met old fogies of thirty and youngsters of ninety
spot

Age...

Post by spot »

theia;1286142 wrote: what is it? Is it the number of years our bodies have been alive? Is it more to do with mental attitude? Is it merely illusory, or a social construction, or a belief?

I'm just wondering...

A growth of experience leading to a blossoming of spirit and, quite likely, twinges.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Ahso!

Age...

Post by Ahso! »

Just simply a reference for communication purposes.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
theia

Age...

Post by theia »

Ahso!;1286150 wrote: Just simply a reference for communication purposes.

I agree with you, Ahso. And it would be difficult to function in modern society without that reference. But that makes me wonder whether less complex societies would have been, or are, less concerned with age in the way that we use it. And does that make age a "body" issue...or not? I don't know.
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
minks

Age...

Post by minks »

I think it's mind and body, you can't have one with out the other.

Physically our body is present for x number of years.

Mentally we are prolly not the same as our body....

As posted already you can feel or think older or younger than your body.

I also thing for prolonged life you have to keep both active.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
theia

Age...

Post by theia »

spot;1286148 wrote: A growth of experience leading to a blossoming of spirit and, quite likely, twinges.

Twinges, spot, twinges? The older I get, the more these "twinges" become permanences :wah:
Ahso!

Age...

Post by Ahso! »

theia;1286158 wrote: I agree with you, Ahso. And it would be difficult to function in modern society without that reference. But that makes me wonder whether less complex societies would have been, or are, less concerned with age in the way that we use it. And does that make age a "body" issue...or not? I don't know.In western cultures all our references hold enormous values. Mostly, I guess we perhaps use it to group ourselves.

Maybe eastern cultures are less inhibited with age. I like that idea more, philosophically speaking.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
minks

Age...

Post by minks »

theia;1286160 wrote: Twinges, spot, twinges? The older I get, the more these "twinges" become permanences :wah:

Twinge?? is that like getting up from the lounge chair and your knee screams a reminder at you that you just can't move like that anymore?? The haunting..."move slower, easy does it, carefully, move carefully" lingers for a few minutes in your head as you rub said knee?

― Mae West
mikeinie

Age...

Post by mikeinie »

Whatever it is, it sucks..:-5
Ahso!

Age...

Post by Ahso! »

minks;1286163 wrote: Twinge?? is that like getting up from the lounge chair and your knee screams a reminder at you that you just can't move like that anymore?? The haunting..."move slower, easy does it, carefully, move carefully" lingers for a few minutes in your head as you rub said knee?NO! Those are memory pains.:) I have a very long memory.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
minks

Age...

Post by minks »

Ahso!;1286166 wrote: NO! Those are memory pains.:) I have a very long memory.

what memories of what I used to be good at... ugh... bah humbug push me and my wheelchair over the cliff now ahahahahahahaha

― Mae West
theia

Age...

Post by theia »

minks;1286163 wrote: Twinge?? is that like getting up from the lounge chair and your knee screams a reminder at you that you just can't move like that anymore?? The haunting..."move slower, easy does it, carefully, move carefully" lingers for a few minutes in your head as you rub said knee?

That's it, Minks. And it's like finding yourself groaning every time you get up, almost involuntarily...I used to wonder why my dad groaned...now I know. And, be warned, it gets worse the older you get :wah:
Odie

Age...

Post by Odie »

I'm just wondering...

Mental attitude Theia.

It all depends on one's out look on life, if they are in pain or misery, they will feel their age as that cannot be helped.

One's who just feel sorry for themselves, down, depressed, will feel much older than they arleady are.
Life is just to short for drama.
Ahso!

Age...

Post by Ahso! »

theia;1286175 wrote: That's it, Minks. And it's like finding yourself groaning every time you get up, almost involuntarily...I used to wonder why my dad groaned...now I know. And, be warned, it gets worse the older you get :wah:But is it possible to find new true love in that state?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Age...

Post by Ahso! »

Odie;1286176 wrote: Mental attitude Theia.

It all depends on one's out look on life, if they are in pain or misery, they will feel their age as that cannot be helped.

One's who just feel sorry for themselves, down, depressed, will feel much older than they arleady are.Not really for us all. I ache and groan but I feel perpetually young.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
minks

Age...

Post by minks »

theia;1286175 wrote: That's it, Minks. And it's like finding yourself groaning every time you get up, almost involuntarily...I used to wonder why my dad groaned...now I know. And, be warned, it gets worse the older you get :wah:

Oh I hear ya dear girl. I will never forget these words from my Dr. after seeing her for some injury....."as you get older dear Minks, you tend to not heal as fast"

Gasp I was crushed by those words... bloody hell when did that happen...:yh_rotfl

Yes of course a healthy mind aids a healthy body... no doubt about it. Though I have to admit some things can really kick the wind outta yer sails at times.

― Mae West
Bruv

Age...

Post by Bruv »

I feel 18 in my mind, but my body knows better.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Odie

Age...

Post by Odie »

Bruv;1286189 wrote: I feel 18 in my mind, but my body knows better.

ditto!:yh_rotfl
theia

Age...

Post by theia »

Ahso!;1286177 wrote: But is it possible to find new true love in that state?

Entirely possible I would think, Ahso. But, personally, I gave up the search a few years ago.

Besides, can you imagine having two groaners in the house...nightmare :eek:
Ahso!

Age...

Post by Ahso! »

theia;1286192 wrote: Entirely possible I would think, Ahso. But, personally, I gave up the search a few years ago.

Besides, can you imagine having two groaners in the house...nightmare :eek:But you know what they say: those that groan together, stay together. thats it, isn't it?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Ahso!

Age...

Post by Ahso! »

Bruv;1286189 wrote: I feel 18 in my mind, but my body knows better.
Odie;1286191 wrote: ditto!:yh_rotfl
Do you two find it easier to be with younger people than with older people?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
theia

Age...

Post by theia »

Ahso!;1286194 wrote: But you know what they say: those that groan together, stay together. thats it, isn't it?

I like that, Ahso :wah:
Bruv

Age...

Post by Bruv »

I am not sure what you are asking...........interesting people whatever their age.
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
YZGI

Age...

Post by YZGI »

minks;1286183 wrote: Oh I hear ya dear girl. I will never forget these words from my Dr. after seeing her for some injury....."as you get older dear Minks, you tend to not heal as fast"

Gasp I was crushed by those words... bloody hell when did that happen...:yh_rotfl

Yes of course a healthy mind aids a healthy body... no doubt about it. Though I have to admit some things can really kick the wind outta yer sails at times.
Thats true. When I was younger I could have my arm pulled off and grow one back by the end of the week. Now a paper cut takes a month to heal.

Maybe the bong made it seem like a week.
Ahso!

Age...

Post by Ahso! »

Bruv;1286201 wrote: I am not sure what you are asking...........interesting people whatever their age.Well you said you feel like you're 18. Does that mean you relate easier with people around that age, or those closer to your actual age?

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Jazzy

Age...

Post by Jazzy »

Age to me is gaining knowledge and enjoying each and every day to the fullest. One never knows when your life may end so I live each day like it's my last. I never saw age as a number. I see age as an opportunity to better myself.
AussiePam

Age...

Post by AussiePam »

Age has been created, so we can be categorised, and targetted for marketing purposes. Naughties, teenies, boomers, tweenies, Gen X, Gen Y, antidiluvian dinosaurs, the grey brigade. Young whippersnappers, old fogies, seniors, mature age persons, the immature, bloody kids, rug rats, gormless adolescents.

Where they want you to enter your age, just put Presbyterian. Where you tick the F or M box, write 29. For religion, write one dozen eggs and a pound of butter please.

Cup of tea and a knee rug, anyone?

Bugger that. Let's put on our brown cardies, our skis and Brunhilda helmets and go check out some double black slopes!!

:sneaky:
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

koan

Age...

Post by koan »

Age is a method by which we agree to be assigned placement in the linear structure created to attempt understanding perceived relationships between events of which our senses make us aware. :yh_giggle

This linear connection is extremely important to mankind's sanity and attempt to impress its existence on the exterior environment. Appearing younger than the age assigned to us can create a sense of admiration and possibly awe, depending on the range of youthful appearance, as it implies some sort of immunity from the death anxiety. Though I rarely recall my age instantly when asked I don't mind attesting to it. I rather enjoy helping people keep their sanity. :D
along-for-the-ride

Age...

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Growing old is a mandatory process. For women, for a period of time, we might even resist aging as we try our hardest to fight off wrinkles and hang on to the physical beauty of our faces.

Yet, getting old is a natural process where things are slowing down, and you'll begin to see that the sparkle in your heart and the twinkle in your eyes make you beautiful in a way that's not achievable in youth.

Go through this list of growing old quotes. Many of them are light-hearted, some are funny and a few are inspiring.

May you retain the beauty of your soul with these aging quotes!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the only thing that comes to us without effort is old age.

-- Gloria Pitzer

Age does not diminish the extreme disappointment of having a scoop of ice cream fall from the cone.

-- Jim Fiebig

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

-- Mark Twain

'Age' is the acceptance of a term of years. But maturity is the glory of years.

-- Martha Graham

The best way to keep kids at home is to make the home a pleasant atmosphere...and let the air out of their tires.

-- Dorothy Parker

The first sign of maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to the left.

-- Jerry M. Wright

The follies which a man regrets most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity.

-- Helen Rowland

The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been.

-- Madeleine L'Engle

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

-- Author Unknown

The time to begin most things is ten years ago.

-- Mignon McLaughlin

The older you get, the more you tell it like it used to be.

-- Author Unknown

The great secret that all old people share is that you really haven't changed in 70 or 80 years. Your body changes, but you don't change at all.

-- Doris Lessing

There's always a lot to be thankful for if you take time to look for it. For example, I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt.

-- Author Unknown

Time wounds all heels.

-- Dorothy Parker

To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent - that is to triumph over old age.

-- Thomas Bailey Aldrich

You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.

-- Michael Pritchard

You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.

-- Woody Allen

You can only perceive real beauty in a person as they get older.

-- Anouk Aimee

You can't hide your true colours as you approach the autumn of your life.

-- Author Unknown

You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you're down there.

-- George Burns

Age to me means nothing. I can't get old; I'm working. I was old when I was twenty-one and out of work. As long as you're working, you stay young. When I'm in front of an audience, all that love and vitality sweeps over me and I forget my age.

-- George Burns

As the arteries grow hard, the heart grows soft.

-- H. L. Mencken

As we grow old…the beauty steals inward.

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

At twenty we worry about what others think of us; at forty we don't care about what others think of us; at sixty we discover they haven't been thinking about us at all.

-- Author Unknown

Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

-- Author Unknown

Grandchildren don’t make a man feel old; it’s the knowledge that he’s married to a grandmother.

-- Agatha Christie

I have enjoyed greatly the second blooming... suddenly you find - at the age of 50, say - that a whole new life has opened before you.

-- Agatha Christie

I intend to live forever, or die trying.

-- Groucho Marx

I was always taught to respect my elders and I've now reached the age when I don't have anybody to respect.

-- George Burns

I’m not denying my age, I’m embellishing my youth.

-- Tamara Reynolds

In a dream you are never eighty.

-- Anne Sexton

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened.

-- Jennifer Yane

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

Middle age is when you choose cereal for the fiber, not the toy.

-- Author Unknown

Old age is no place for sissies.

-- Bette Davis

Old age isn’t so bad when you consider the alternative.

-- Maurice Chevalier

Once you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed.

-- Charles M. Schulz

Retirement is the period when you exchange the bills in your wallet for snapshots of your grandchildren.

-- Author Unknown

The best part about being my age is in knowing how my life worked out. Sure, there's a lot more living to go, but there isn't much doubt that I'll always be the 'Dilbert guy.' Unless I go on a crime spree, in which case I'll be 'that stabbin' Dilbert guy.'

-- Scott Adams

Which quote is your favorite?
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
buttercup

Age...

Post by buttercup »

The thing that amazes me most is i look back on photographs of myself as a young girl / woman and can quite clearly see i was beautiful although i did not think it at the time.

I often wonder if i will look back on photographs of myself in 20 years time at this stage in my life and feel the same way.
ZAP

Age...

Post by ZAP »

theia;1286142 wrote: what is it?

I'm just wondering...

I'm not sure but I think I've got it.
Lon

Age...

Post by Lon »

I'm just wondering...

It's actually all of the above------by body has been alive for 75 years 6 months. According to my health history, family health history, habits etc. I am judged to be 63 years 2 months old by the medicos. My mental attitude places me as a re-cycled teen ager. Socially I am probably viewed as a senior citizen & old fart.:)
chonsigirl

Age...

Post by chonsigirl »

It is a mental attitude, we are only as old as we believe we are.

Once in awhile the physical restrictions of where are bodies are come into play, it is what you do with them. You adjust a little, and then continue on with life.
Odie

Age...

Post by Odie »

Ahso!;1286181 wrote: Not really for us all. I ache and groan but I feel perpetually young.

how old are you?
theia

Age...

Post by theia »

along-for-the-ride;1286255 wrote: Growing old is a mandatory process. For women, for a period of time, we might even resist aging as we try our hardest to fight off wrinkles and hang on to the physical beauty of our faces.

Yet, getting old is a natural process where things are slowing down, and you'll begin to see that the sparkle in your heart and the twinkle in your eyes make you beautiful in a way that's not achievable in youth.

Go through this list of growing old quotes. Many of them are light-hearted, some are funny and a few are inspiring.

May you retain the beauty of your soul with these aging quotes!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About the only thing that comes to us without effort is old age.

-- Gloria Pitzer

Age does not diminish the extreme disappointment of having a scoop of ice cream fall from the cone.

-- Jim Fiebig

Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.

-- Mark Twain

'Age' is the acceptance of a term of years. But maturity is the glory of years.

-- Martha Graham

The best way to keep kids at home is to make the home a pleasant atmosphere...and let the air out of their tires.

-- Dorothy Parker

The first sign of maturity is the discovery that the volume knob also turns to the left.

-- Jerry M. Wright

The follies which a man regrets most in his life are those which he didn't commit when he had the opportunity.

-- Helen Rowland

The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been.

-- Madeleine L'Engle

The more you complain, the longer God lets you live.

-- Author Unknown

The time to begin most things is ten years ago.

-- Mignon McLaughlin

The older you get, the more you tell it like it used to be.

-- Author Unknown

The great secret that all old people share is that you really haven't changed in 70 or 80 years. Your body changes, but you don't change at all.

-- Doris Lessing

There's always a lot to be thankful for if you take time to look for it. For example, I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt.

-- Author Unknown

Time wounds all heels.

-- Dorothy Parker

To keep the heart unwrinkled, to be hopeful, kindly, cheerful, reverent - that is to triumph over old age.

-- Thomas Bailey Aldrich

You don't stop laughing because you grow old. You grow old because you stop laughing.

-- Michael Pritchard

You can live to be a hundred if you give up all the things that make you want to live to be a hundred.

-- Woody Allen

You can only perceive real beauty in a person as they get older.

-- Anouk Aimee

You can't hide your true colours as you approach the autumn of your life.

-- Author Unknown

You know you're getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you're down there.

-- George Burns

Age to me means nothing. I can't get old; I'm working. I was old when I was twenty-one and out of work. As long as you're working, you stay young. When I'm in front of an audience, all that love and vitality sweeps over me and I forget my age.

-- George Burns

As the arteries grow hard, the heart grows soft.

-- H. L. Mencken

As we grow old…the beauty steals inward.

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

At twenty we worry about what others think of us; at forty we don't care about what others think of us; at sixty we discover they haven't been thinking about us at all.

-- Author Unknown

Beautiful young people are accidents of nature, but beautiful old people are works of art.

-- Eleanor Roosevelt

Do not resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.

-- Author Unknown

Grandchildren don’t make a man feel old; it’s the knowledge that he’s married to a grandmother.

-- Agatha Christie

I have enjoyed greatly the second blooming... suddenly you find - at the age of 50, say - that a whole new life has opened before you.

-- Agatha Christie

I intend to live forever, or die trying.

-- Groucho Marx

I was always taught to respect my elders and I've now reached the age when I don't have anybody to respect.

-- George Burns

I’m not denying my age, I’m embellishing my youth.

-- Tamara Reynolds

In a dream you are never eighty.

-- Anne Sexton

Inside every older person is a younger person wondering what happened.

-- Jennifer Yane

Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.

-- Soren Kierkegaard

Middle age is when you choose cereal for the fiber, not the toy.

-- Author Unknown

Old age is no place for sissies.

-- Bette Davis

Old age isn’t so bad when you consider the alternative.

-- Maurice Chevalier

Once you’re over the hill, you begin to pick up speed.

-- Charles M. Schulz

Retirement is the period when you exchange the bills in your wallet for snapshots of your grandchildren.

-- Author Unknown

The best part about being my age is in knowing how my life worked out. Sure, there's a lot more living to go, but there isn't much doubt that I'll always be the 'Dilbert guy.' Unless I go on a crime spree, in which case I'll be 'that stabbin' Dilbert guy.'

-- Scott Adams

Which quote is your favorite?

That is a wonderful list of quotations, AFR

I've highlighted my favourites (maybe Emerson is my very favourite), but I like them all. I'm going to post a copy on the staff noticeboard at work

Thank you.
theia

Age...

Post by theia »

Zapata;1286264 wrote: I'm not sure but I think I've got it.

That is so funny, Zap :yh_rotfl

Buttercup, I've done and thought exactly the same. A few months ago my son in law was looking at a photo of me in the late sixties. It was taken at a wedding and I was wearing the usual sixties garb...big floppy hat over very long hair and a mini dress. My sil was so surprised...actually he was too surprised :-1 Oh well :D
Ahso!

Age...

Post by Ahso! »

Odie;1286313 wrote: how old are you?93 years and 65 days.

Voltaire

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
Helen

Age...

Post by Helen »

I SHALL BE 60 ON MARCH 2ND :-2

my brain is telling me im about 22 but my body, right now, is telling me that im every bit the 60yrs im coming up to, specially first thing in the morning when im being dragged along the road by an overly enthusiastic springer spaniel.............

im out several nights a week, both working and socially. my friends are all a little younger than me and i think thats what keeps me going as do my teenage grandchildren..............

im afraid im not going to sit back and do the " granny thing " with a shawl over my knees, frantically knitting unwanted xmas sweaters:rolleyes::D

im going out, kicking and screaming, with a big smile on my face and my epitaph ????

BEEN THERE DONE THAT AND LOVED EVERY MINIT OF IT :yh_rotfl:-6
Odie

Age...

Post by Odie »

Ahso!;1286377 wrote: 93 years and 65 days.

prove it.;)
Odie

Age...

Post by Odie »

Helen;1286416 wrote: I SHALL BE 60 ON MARCH 2ND :-2

my brain is telling me im about 22 but my body, right now, is telling me that im every bit the 60yrs im coming up to, specially first thing in the morning when im being dragged along the road by an overly enthusiastic springer spaniel.............

im out several nights a week, both working and socially. my friends are all a little younger than me and i think thats what keeps me going as do my teenage grandchildren..............

im afraid im not going to sit back and do the " granny thing " with a shawl over my knees, frantically knitting unwanted xmas sweaters:rolleyes::D

im going out, kicking and screaming, with a big smile on my face and my epitaph ????

BEEN THERE DONE THAT AND LOVED EVERY MINIT OF IT :yh_rotfl:-6

Good on you Helen, I feel exactly the same way, no 'granny thing' for me either!:rolleyes:

Could you knit a sweater to keep Odie warm?:yh_rotfl
minks

Age...

Post by minks »

Odie;1286534 wrote: Good on you Helen, I feel exactly the same way, no 'granny thing' for me either!:rolleyes:

Could you knit a sweater to keep Odie warm?:yh_rotfl

I am a granny and I love it :)

― Mae West
Odie

Age...

Post by Odie »

minks;1286536 wrote: I am a granny and I love it :)

that's not what we meant!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I'm a grandma to and love it, just not letting age tell me I'm over the hill.;)
minks

Age...

Post by minks »

Odie;1286539 wrote: that's not what we meant!:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl

I'm a grandma to and love it, just not letting age tell me I'm over the hill.;)

i figured that, yes I am not of the Granny mentality, I honestly can't wait to get my young grandson on a bicycle and take him riding with me.

― Mae West
Odie

Age...

Post by Odie »

minks;1286543 wrote: i figured that, yes I am not of the Granny mentality, I honestly can't wait to get my young grandson on a bicycle and take him riding with me.

awwwwwwwwww that will be so much fun!
minks

Age...

Post by minks »

Odie;1286544 wrote: awwwwwwwwww that will be so much fun!

you betcha, ... hard to believe my granddaughter will be 1 in Feb my how time flies.

― Mae West
Odie

Age...

Post by Odie »

minks;1286546 wrote: you betcha, ... hard to believe my granddaughter will be 1 in Feb my how time flies.

really? your right that year just flew by!
Helen

Age...

Post by Helen »

minks;1286546 wrote: you betcha, ... hard to believe my granddaughter will be 1 in Feb my how time flies.

my eldest grandchild will be 22 in sepetmber and the youngest 3 in july, theres 11 more in between that too :-2:)
theia

Age...

Post by theia »

I bought my first pack of "full briefs" today in m and s. Goodbye to those things that cut me in two, or three even. These are so comfortable.

Big pants reign :-6
AussiePam

Age...

Post by AussiePam »

theia;1286625 wrote: I bought my first pack of "full briefs" today in m and s. Goodbye to those things that cut me in two, or three even. These are so comfortable.

Big pants reign :-6

Why do I get a visual of Bridget Jones????

This has just gotta be too much information.... :yh_rotfl
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Return to “Philosophy”