Mystery of Life and Death

ZAP

Post by ZAP »

I said:

"My feelings on religion or beliefs in general are that if it gives comfort to the person believing, if it makes him/her a better, more understanding person and doesn't harm others in the process, then it must be a good thing. "

Perhaps I should modify that to say " . . .a good thing for that person.

Local Time: 01:40 PM

Local Date: 04-15-2010

Ahso!;1303801 wrote:

Your statement assumes that none of those niceties would or could occur without belief in God, and I'm not buying that. The only thing proven there is the placebo affect."

I say: In no way did I assume or leave for others to assume that "those niceties would not occur without a belief in God."

"The very fact that our species is having this contentious conversation suggests to me we needs to. Religion and the false beliefs that are attached to it is not healthy for our species any longer and so there is a fierce dialogue taking place. Thats how important this subject is."

This is unclear to me. Could you please explain?
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Zapata;1303843 wrote: I said:

"My feelings on religion or beliefs in general are that if it gives comfort to the person believing, if it makes him/her a better, more understanding person and doesn't harm others in the process, then it must be a good thing. "

Perhaps I should modify that to say " . . .a good thing for that person.

Local Time: 01:40 PM

Local Date: 04-15-2010

This is unclear to me. Could you please explain?Explain what?
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple
ZAP

Post by ZAP »

Ahso!;1303801 wrote: The proof of non existence lies within the lack of evidence of existence. Thats the closest I think one can come to proving a negative. Produce God and its a finished concern.

Your statement assumes that none of those niceties would or could occur without belief in God, and I'm not buying that. The only thing proven there is the placebo affect.

The very fact that our species is having this contentious conversation suggests to me we needs to. Religion and the false beliefs that are attached to it is not healthy for our species any longer and so there is a fierce dialogue taking place. Thats how important this subject is.

But you and LM right about the conversation having changed from mystery of life and death to this. For that I apologize.

LarsMac, any thoughts on the life after death question?

Please explain beginning with, "The very fact ;. . ."
Ahso!

Post by Ahso! »

Zapata;1303854 wrote: Please explain beginning with, "The very fact ;. . ."I don't think I can make it any more clear than I already have. Sorry! You'll have to read into it what you will.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities,”

Voltaire

I have only one thing to do and that's

Be the wave that I am and then

Sink back into the ocean

Fiona Apple

Return to “Philosophy”