Climate Change - A Different Perspective

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

I've just watched a TED Talk by Allan Savory on Desertification and how it relates to climate change.

The ideas put forward, I think, turn current thinking on its head :-

Allan Savory: How to fight desertification and reverse climate change | TED Talk | TED.com
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1491206 wrote: I've just watched a TED Talk by Allan Savory on Desertification and how it relates to climate change.

The ideas put forward, I think, turn current thinking on its head :-

Allan Savory: How to fight desertification and reverse climate change | TED Talk | TED.com

I liked his talk.

I don't know how much his work would alter climate change but if what he presents is true, it is a worthy and desirable project. Where I live is cattle & sheep country and I will be looking at the fields in a different way.

In the meantime,

I need the work.
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1491213 wrote: I liked his talk.

I don't know how much his work would alter climate change but if what he presents is true, it is a worthy and desirable project. Where I live is cattle & sheep country and I will be looking at the fields in a different way.

In the meantime,

I need the work.

If the facts he presented are in any way close to the truth then I think he makes a good case.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Some interesting work. So, all these years, we been doing it all wrong.

Mix the Livestock "migrations" with some crop/field rotations, a lot of food could be raised, I think.

I was also reading that a lot of farmers are experimenting with no-plow farming, to conserve soil and water, too.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1491221 wrote: Some interesting work. So, all these years, we been doing it all wrong.

Mix the Livestock "migrations" with some crop/field rotations, a lot of food could be raised, I think.

I was also reading that a lot of farmers are experimenting with no-plow farming, to conserve soil and water, too.

Is the dust bowl still there or did you sort that problem?

I hope and assume that you did but, if not, it's definitely a method worth trying.
tude dog

Post by tude dog »

Bryn Mawr;1491223 wrote: Is the dust bowl still there or did you sort that problem?

I hope and assume that you did but, if not, it's definitely a method worth trying.

The Dust Bowl was in no small part aggravated by insufficient understanding of the ecology of the plains, farmers had conducted extensive deep plowing of the virgin topsoil of the Great Plains during the previous decade; this had displaced the native, deep-rooted grasses that normally trapped soil and moisture even during periods of drought and high winds.

President Roosevelt ordered the Civilian Conservation Corps to plant a huge belt of more than 200 million trees from Canada to Abilene, Texas to break the wind, hold water in the soil, and hold the soil itself in place. The administration also began to educate farmers on soil conservation and anti-erosion techniques, including crop rotation, strip farming, contour plowing, terracing, and other improved farming practices.[33][34] In 1937, the federal government began an aggressive campaign to encourage farmers in the Dust Bowl to adopt planting and plowing methods that conserved the soil. The government paid reluctant farmers a dollar an acre to practice the new methods. By 1938, the massive conservation effort had reduced the amount of blowing soil by 65%.[35] The land still failed to yield a decent living. In the fall of 1939, after nearly a decade of dirt and dust, the drought ended when regular rainfall finally returned to the region. The government still encouraged continuing the use of conservation methods to protect the soil and ecology of the Plains.

Black Blizzard

Lars wrote: I was also reading that a lot of farmers are experimenting with no-plow farming, to conserve soil and water, too.

No surprise that like Allan Savory on Desertification even No till farming isn't without problems, or needs some work.

No-Till Farming Pros and Cons
What happened to Kamala Harris' campaign?
She had the black vote all locked up.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1491223 wrote: Is the dust bowl still there or did you sort that problem?

Dust bowl problem was resolved in the following decade.

Much of the area that was affected by the "dust bowl" have been quite productive for the last 70-80 years.

tude dog;1491226 wrote: The Dust Bowl was in no small part aggravated by

Black Blizzard

Lars wrote: I was also reading that a lot of farmers are experimenting with no-plow farming, to conserve soil and water, too.

No surprise that like Allan Savory on Desertification even No till farming isn't without problems, or needs some work.

Everything we do has consequences, many that we cannot even begin to foresee. That is how we got in to some of these situations. It will likely be decades before we are completely certain of the long term effects Dr Savory's tactics will produce.

What we do know is that we cannot keep on with many of the current activities without suffering the foreseeable consequences.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

tude dog;1491226 wrote: The Dust Bowl was in no small part aggravated by

Black Blizzard

LarsMac;1491227 wrote: Dust bowl problem was resolved in the following decade.

Much of the area that was affected by the "dust bowl" have been quite productive for the last 70-80 years.

Everything we do has consequences, many that we cannot even begin to foresee. That is how we got in to some of these situations. It will likely be decades before we are completely certain of the long term effects Dr Savory's tactics will produce.

What we do know is that we cannot keep on with many of the current activities without suffering the foreseeable consequences.

I guess I'm a bit out of date then - typical of me to be behind the times.

Return to “Science Technology Videos”