Poisonous Australia...

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
Clodhopper
Posts: 5115
Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:11 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by Clodhopper »

Snyder: Went to Aussie and wandered around for six months as a very innocent 18 year old and survived. Learned a lot! :)

Good memories of good folk. Go - you'll love it.

Oh - and go to a Test match. You'll be amazed.
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
User avatar
mrsK
Posts: 3342
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by mrsK »

We have kangaroos on our school oval.

They see you coming they are going to get hopping & fast.:-6



Nothing to be afraid of I promise.:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
User avatar
mrsK
Posts: 3342
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by mrsK »

Clodhopper;903094 wrote: Snyder: Went to Aussie and wandered around for six months as a very innocent 18 year old and survived. Learned a lot! :)

Good memories of good folk. Go - you'll love it.

Oh - and go to a Test match. You'll be amazed.


Love going to the cricket or football & people watch.

Good value:-6
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

Clodhopper;903094 wrote: Snyder: Went to Aussie and wandered around for six months as a very innocent 18 year old and survived. Learned a lot! :)

Good memories of good folk. Go - you'll love it.

Oh - and go to a Test match. You'll be amazed.


I'm assuming you're talking about rugby...I do believe Aussies refer to that in which us Americans refer to as Rugby, Football...

I like the game...I don't particularly care for the Rugby League rules but maybe it's better for viewing the game live as it's harder to get an extensive look on what is actually going on...

I watched the Churchill Cup but not for very long...:wah:...As I was obviously rooting for the U.S...

I prefer soccer and I'm a Fulham supporter...I have to say that I've grown to love the sport and follow the EPL more than I follow the MLS...To be honest I've grown to like soccer so much that I could honestly say that I like it as much as my favorite sport here in America, the NFL...

But I like all sports so I would love to go see a Professional Rugby match...
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

fuzzy butt;904162 wrote: what you do is ......firstly go to a TEST match .......CRICKET . I'ts where you sit for four days for the outcome of the game . (It happens to be my favourite past time , but never mind.)

Then you go off to see (rugby) Melbourne Storm play ....whoever! then you go see a game of Aussie rules. the best football!!! And I will personally buy you a Carlton Beanie and scarf!.

Then we go sailing.......or Kayacking. then we go to Sandowne to the car drags and racing .

Then we ...................



Oh BTW MrsK is right the audience of a football match is sometimes more exciting than the field play.:wah:


Oh right...

I think that would all be a blast...When do we crack open the beers and slap a hunk of cow on the barbie?...:wah:...A BBQ sounds great about now...
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

fuzzy butt;904174 wrote: Before ..........during ......and after Of course!!!!!!:wah:


sounds great...

What is your preferred beer in Australia?...I know we always get loads of Fosters commercials...And I always see bottles of wine in the grocery stores with a kangaroo on it...
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

fuzzy butt;904178 wrote: DON'T DRINK FOSTERS!!!!!!!! People will realise you're not a real Beer drinker .

Anything else is to your taste. :) I'm a carlton cold , or Victoria bitter girl.

Ummm wine? Jacobs Creek you can't go wrong .....But i'm a bit spoilt cause I have a lot of wineries around here. Don't think I've ever touched anything with a kangaroo on it.


I believe twas Aussie Pam whom told me to stay clear of anything with a kangaroo on it...:wah:

But for the record I've never drank Fosters...
kayleneaussie
Posts: 9127
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:11 am

Poisonous Australia...

Post by kayleneaussie »

I dont drink beer but have scotch or wines but not with a Kangaroo on the bottle :thinking:
FOC THREAD PART 1
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

kayleneaussie;904205 wrote: I dont drink beer but have scotch or wines but not with a Kangaroo on the bottle :thinking:


It's growing ever more clear that the kangaroos on the wine bottles I see are nothing more than marketing schemes so as to romanticize them...

I almost bought one...
User avatar
AussiePam
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by AussiePam »

That's just for export, K Snyder. Am I starting to get the impression that this is a Knock Australia thread? Don't really care if it is. People that have actually been here tend to appreciate the place. People who are lucky enough to live here love it. I had to explain once to a group of American middle schoolers not only where the country was, but that we had things here like books and computers. It would be a good idea if more people travelled outside their own countries, saw that the world is big, got things in perspective... I think you said you're 26 - do yourself a favour, go and explore a bit!!!
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

scholle-kid
Posts: 765
Joined: Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:53 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by scholle-kid »

AussiePam;902025 wrote: The tropical bits of sea in the southern parts of the US probably have some sharks and stingers. Black widow spiders and tarantulas leap out from under every rock. The swamps have alligators and some not too friendly type snakes. Rattlers abound in the desert areas and other places too killing everyone in sight. Then in the woods, apart from deer ticks (lyme disease) you have poison oak, poison ivy, poison sumak. And that brings me to bears... yeah... and skunks and banjo playing hillbillies with guns who want you to squeal like a pig...



Argghghghghgh... Australia has gotta be a heap safer!!!



:sneaky:


" Rattlers abound in the desert areas and other places too killing everyone in sight."



Sooooo ,, that's what's happend to all my neighbors ,huh????:yh_rotfl:yh_rotfl
There are no savage and civilised peoples; there are only different cultures.
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

AussiePam;904232 wrote: That's just for export, K Snyder. Am I starting to get the impression that this is a Knock Australia thread? Don't really care if it is. People that have actually been here tend to appreciate the place. People who are lucky enough to live here love it. I had to explain once to a group of American middle schoolers not only where the country was, but that we had things here like books and computers. It would be a good idea if more people travelled outside their own countries, saw that the world is big, got things in perspective... I think you said you're 26 - do yourself a favour, go and explore a bit!!!


No...I'm not trying to knock anything...If I were it would be much more obvious...

I would love to visit Australia...I just don't like hospital trips after being injected with venom from the worlds most deadliest snakes...There's nothing poisonous in Ohio which is why I'm not used to that type of environment...
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

fuzzy butt;904253 wrote: K. where abouts in Australia are you thinking of heading towards?


Anywhere...

Where would you suggest?...
kayleneaussie
Posts: 9127
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:11 am

Poisonous Australia...

Post by kayleneaussie »

K.Snyder;904257 wrote: Anywhere...

Where would you suggest?...


Sydney;)
FOC THREAD PART 1
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

kayleneaussie;904258 wrote: Sydney;)


I've once seen a great big blooming sort of building in Australia I believe it was in Sydney and I thought it was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen...It had a very fluorescent background and the water looked blissful...

Would love to sip margaritas on the beach there...

Perhaps you know where I'm talking about...
User avatar
spot
Posts: 40099
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Poisonous Australia...

Post by spot »

fuzzy butt;904244 wrote: Pammy Microsoft did a study and it found that there are more home computers in Australia per capita than anywhere else in the world. Well... and outback radio transceivers, and flying doctors, and stony-faced horsemen in stockmen's coats and leather hats with corks tied round the brim - there's a reason for all these things including all the computers.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.

Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
My other operating system is Slackware
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;905781 wrote: Well... and outback radio transceivers, and flying doctors, and stony-faced horsemen in stockmen's coats and leather hats with corks tied round the brim - there's a reason for all these things including all the computers.


There's a new idea for a thread...

"Syberia vs Australia"...

Just that Australia is relatively hot isn't it?...
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

I am curious as to what the procedure is in the events of bites in Australia...

When people have no idea what it was that bit them how do the doctors handle that?...Do they just inject the patient with every anti-venom in the cabinet?...
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

fuzzy butt;917511 wrote: Toxicology test I suppose . It's so rare that i wouldn't know . The most common snakes around here is the brown, Black pink belly and the Tiger . So I'm sure they're stocked at our local hospital.

These are the common ones for our area.

http://flyaqis.museum.vic.gov.au/cgi-bi ... ploc=v8220

hmm that's interesting Maybe it was copperheads I've killed I always thought they were the common browns. And i've definately killed blacks. And I've had a tiger rush through my legs. That wasn't a nice feeling because i knew there was a snake and decided to ignore it. didn't' realise it could have been a tiger. almost had to change my undies after that one.


Oh well thank you...I suppose I was more so thinking about spiders...I should have clarified that...But still interested about the snake bites as well...But I'm sure that spider bites are extremely more common than snake bites...Or is there one single anti-venom for spider bites?...
User avatar
AussiePam
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by AussiePam »

K Snyder - this is a really interesting enquiry. We have 27 different species of incredibly venomous spiders in Australia. People bitten by the Nullabor plane spider die within 24 seconds, so if you're heading for the outback, it's a good idea to get innoculated against this - in advance - with your anti croc shot. The coral purple seven leg spider is also really nasty - but leaves a large purescent purple mark, so docs can identify that bite easily. The third most feared bite is from the spotted Tasmanian tiger spider, so persons who suspect they have been bitten by one of these are encouraged to capture the spider and bring it in for questioning. A general antivene is given for many of the remaining horrible creepie crawlies - but of course this has to be given within two weeks of being bitten for best results. Always check your boots if you're anywhere near the Antipodes, as this is where the worst critters are likely to hide.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

User avatar
spot
Posts: 40099
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Poisonous Australia...

Post by spot »

Besides, the fatalities from spider, croc and snake bite in Australia are only a quarter as many as the deaths from leech bites which go septic. They're recorded as blood poisoning without mention of the leech, it would be bad for the tourist industry if it were better known. Australia has all three of the leech species which can survive in salt water on beaches.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.

Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
My other operating system is Slackware
User avatar
AussiePam
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by AussiePam »

Absolutely!!! And we also try to hide the fatalities from feral rabid dingo bites. Bat attacks in Sydney suburbs are worrisome, but most Australians have some immunity if they get to adulthood. A little known fact about sulphur crested cockatoos is that their droppings are toxic - and it's advisable not to eat vegetables grown in gardens beneath the flight of these unpleasant avians. These bits of information are not normally presented to potential tourists, for obvious reasons. Also, if you come here, don't drink the water.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

User avatar
spot
Posts: 40099
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Poisonous Australia...

Post by spot »

AussiePam;917524 wrote: Also, if you come here, don't drink the water.Or, not that they'll warn you themselves, go near the barbies. Some safety-conscious Australians have taken recently to gas cartridges which are fine but the traditional Aussie outdoor roast involves cooking on Eucalyptus wood which notoriously detonates when its oil content exceeds about 15%. Every year about two thousand Aussies lose limbs from flying barbecue skewers when their wood fires explode.
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.

Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
My other operating system is Slackware
User avatar
AussiePam
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by AussiePam »

OOps, yes. But fair go, Spot. How the heck did you find out about that little glitch!!! ?? Luckily, the extended drought has meant that the water content of gum tree wood is mostly too low to cause significant explosive devastation - but if you're asked to a traditional aussie barbie, it's a good idea to wear at very least a cricket box. And face guard.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

spot;917521 wrote: Besides, the fatalities from spider, croc and snake bite in Australia are only a quarter as many as the deaths from leech bites which go septic. They're recorded as blood poisoning without mention of the leech, it would be bad for the tourist industry if it were better known. Australia has all three of the leech species which can survive in salt water on beaches.


I'm not worried about death really...Just my fingers falling off...

I'm an athlete...I take my body condition very seriously...I don't need tissue to be damaged...I have the agility of a gazelle...
User avatar
AussiePam
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by AussiePam »

K.Snyder;917531 wrote: I'm not worried about death really...Just my fingers falling off...

I'm an athlete...I take my body condition very seriously...I don't need tissue to be damaged...I have the agility of a gazelle...


Absolutely no problem then, KSnyder!! You can outrun any dangers the land could ever offer!!! We don't have a load of hunters here either who might be confused by your gazellelike fluidity and tempted to loose an arrow or a hail of semiauto shot in your general direction. And just staying out of the sea - any sea - should prevent marine monsters taking a nip out of any sensitive tissue titbits.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

User avatar
spot
Posts: 40099
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Poisonous Australia...

Post by spot »

Though, to be honest, we ought to warn you to stay out of the sunshine too, more people in Australia have bits drop off because of the sunshine than for any other reason.

We mentioned the tapwater did we?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.

Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
My other operating system is Slackware
Ally
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 am

Poisonous Australia...

Post by Ally »

Pam dont forget to tell him about our nasty "2 steps"in our vast oceans.The venomous sea snakes that our intrepid fishermen encounter in their fishing nets when they pull them up.Why you say do they call them 2 steps,well if you get bitten by one of them you can take 2 steps and your a gonner.Dont forget to keep well out of the way of our Cassowary's they can kill you with one kick if you get to close.Not to forget the good old giant Bungaroo who thinks people are trees if they stand still and he likes to run up you,and sit on you head.We'r pretty tough here in OZ we can handle the wildlife.Hope it dosnt put you off visiting us tho.:sneaky::rolleyes:
Ally
Posts: 589
Joined: Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:09 am

Poisonous Australia...

Post by Ally »

Oh yeh dont drink the water.;););)
User avatar
AussiePam
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by AussiePam »

Thanks Ally!!! AND - if you, KS as an American, are even now still tinkering with the vague possibility of intrepidly setting foot where no other fleet footed gazelle would dare to plod - may I humbly suggest that you study at least two of the scholarly books written by your countrymen on this dangerous land

Marlo Morgan's amazing Mutant Message Down Under

and the slim but definitive volume of that journalist bloke from Iowa (the authority on the Appalachian trail) penned, I think, on a few hours stop over on his way to Africa.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

User avatar
AussiePam
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by AussiePam »

Pine trees explode too.
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

User avatar
mrsK
Posts: 3342
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by mrsK »

Don't forget the "Drop Bears"

You can be walking along & the bears drop out of tree's onto you.
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

mrsK;918197 wrote: Don't forget the "Drop Bears"

You can be walking along & the bears drop out of tree's onto you.


I can shoot bears they're no problem...:wah:

(Joking)...Well...Half joking...I won't hesitate to shoot an aggressive bear...A family friend of ours eats them...
User avatar
mrsK
Posts: 3342
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by mrsK »

K.Snyder;918217 wrote: I can shoot bears they're no problem...:wah:

(Joking)...Well...Half joking...I won't hesitate to shoot an aggressive bear...A family friend of ours eats them...


You will have to have a gun license & then you will have to have your guns locked up very safe & secure. Ours are so safe & secure I don't even know where the keys are.:wah:
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

mrsK;918221 wrote: You will have to have a gun license & then you will have to have your guns locked up very safe & secure. Ours are so safe & secure I don't even know where the keys are.:wah:


What are the various times of hunting seasons if there are any?...

And I'm sure many people travel out in the bush with firearms...I don't see the potential of policing enforcement going on in that particular circumstance...
User avatar
mrsK
Posts: 3342
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by mrsK »

K.Snyder;918226 wrote: What are the various times of hunting seasons if there are any?...

And I'm sure many people travel out in the bush with firearms...I don't see the potential of policing enforcement going on in that particular circumstance...




When we owned our sheep & cattle station,we had people from all over the place who came to shoot feral animals. Wild pigs that used to rip our new born lambs to peices,foxes,rabbits. Some shot goats but they were used for food.

The rule with the guns out there was no loaded guns to come over our boundry ramp & into the house yard,safety was the main thing.

No goats were allowed to be shot unless they were eaten,as we used to round them up on motorbikes & sell them.Besides that we couldn't allow wholesale slaughter of animals just for the fun of it. Not on in my book.

One person shot our pet goat ,they were told it was a pet.

He was ordered of the place never to return.

We never took payment from these people as then we had the final say as to what they could & could not do on our property.

We made friends with all of the regular shooters & they still go out to the property & call in to see us as they pass through town.

It is hard to police who has guns .

Hunting is allowed all year round except for duck hunting,there is a season for that ,not sure when in August .

There is no duck hunting this year because of the drought,ducks are scarce because of lack of water.
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

mrsK;918241 wrote: When we owned our sheep & cattle station,we had people from all over the place who came to shoot feral animals. Wild pigs that used to rip our new born lambs to peices,foxes,rabbits. Some shot goats but they were used for food.

The rule with the guns out there was no loaded guns to come over our boundry ramp & into the house yard,safety was the main thing.

No goats were allowed to be shot unless they were eaten,as we used to round them up on motorbikes & sell them.Besides that we couldn't allow wholesale slaughter of animals just for the fun of it. Not on in my book.

One person shot our pet goat ,they were told it was a pet.

He was ordered of the place never to return.

We never took payment from these people as then we had the final say as to what they could & could not do on our property.

We made friends with all of the regular shooters & they still go out to the property & call in to see us as they pass through town.

It is hard to police who has guns .

Hunting is allowed all year round except for duck hunting,there is a season for that ,not sure when in August .

There is no duck hunting this year because of the drought,ducks are scarce because of lack of water.


That sounds great...

I'm wondering what the law is for foreigners...Do they allow anyone to hunt anywhere at any time, obviously associated with the laws?...
User avatar
mrsK
Posts: 3342
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:23 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by mrsK »

You cannot hunt anywhere you like. Very hard to find properties to hunt on these days out this way. To many idiots have spoilt it for the serious shooters.

You would have to find a place that allows hunting & you would have to have a current gun license,not sure how you would go about that unless you were living here.
It's nice to be important,but more important to be nice.
kayleneaussie
Posts: 9127
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:11 am

Poisonous Australia...

Post by kayleneaussie »

Why come over here to Hunt:thinking: there are so many other great things to do.
FOC THREAD PART 1
User avatar
AussiePam
Posts: 9898
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by AussiePam »

But Kaylene - if you're not the hunter, you're the .... hunted!!! And that means, no matter how fast and gracefully gazelle-like KS runs, bits of him are going to be stung / bitten / poisoned - and could most inconveniently drop off...
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

mrsK;918253 wrote: You cannot hunt anywhere you like. Very hard to find properties to hunt on these days out this way. To many idiots have spoilt it for the serious shooters.

You would have to find a place that allows hunting & you would have to have a current gun license,not sure how you would go about that unless you were living here.


Doesn't personal land owners have the authority to let hunters hunt on their land?...
K.Snyder
Posts: 10253
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:05 pm

Poisonous Australia...

Post by K.Snyder »

kayleneaussie;918303 wrote: Why come over here to Hunt:thinking: there are so many other great things to do.


Well I would love to do other things...

What would you suggest personally?...

I don't surf...

Return to “Travel Places”