Appalachian trail?

Post (embed) your favorite videos from your favorite video hosting sites: YouTube, MetaCafe, etc.
gmc

Appalachian trail?

Post by gmc »

Just curious anyone walked it?
tabby

Appalachian trail?

Post by tabby »

gmc;1505170 wrote: Just curious anyone walked it?

gmc, I've walked small bits and pieces of the trail on various trips to the Blue Ridge but certainly never come close to walking the entire trail. That would be quite an accomplishment!

Bill Bryson wrote a wonderful book on his undertaking of the entire length of the trail. It's called "A Walk in the Woods".
Wandrin

Appalachian trail?

Post by Wandrin »

I've been on (or crossed) a few sections in Main, Vermont, Virginia, and North Carolina, but would never think of trying for the whole thing.
LarsMac

Appalachian trail?

Post by LarsMac »

I've walked the section from Blairsville Georgia and Nantahalla River. And a couple of sections further north.

My nephew and his wife walked the entire trail back in the 90s.

Some areas are delightful. Others are only for the stout. Pennsylvania, from the Susquehanna river to Delaware Gap, according to them, is a killer. The almost gave up after making that section.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Wandrin

Appalachian trail?

Post by Wandrin »

LarsMac;1505185 wrote: I've walked the section from Blairsville Georgia and Nantahalla River. And a couple of sections further north.

My nephew and his wife walked the entire trail back in the 90s.

Some areas are delightful. Others are only for the stout. Pennsylvania, from the Susquehanna river to Delaware Gap, according to them, is a killer. The almost gave up after making that section.

But it's supposedly child's play compared with some sections of the Pacific Crest Trail, according to a friend who has through-hiked them both.
Bryn Mawr

Appalachian trail?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Wandrin;1505191 wrote: But it's supposedly child's play compared with some sections of the Pacific Crest Trail, according to a friend who has through-hiked them both.

Is that the same as the Continental Divide Trail?
LarsMac

Appalachian trail?

Post by LarsMac »

Wandrin;1505191 wrote: But it's supposedly child's play compared with some sections of the Pacific Crest Trail, according to a friend who has through-hiked them both.

My nephew said that Pennsylvania was not really difficult as in the traditional sense. It is just tediously marching up and down scraggy rocky hills, with no end in sight for days. Sheer gravelly drudgery.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Appalachian trail?

Post by LarsMac »

Bryn Mawr;1505194 wrote: Is that the same as the Continental Divide Trail?

No sir. The Continental Divide trail is more inland, running through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Appalachian trail?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1505200 wrote: No sir. The Continental Divide trail is more inland, running through New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho and Montana.

OK, my mistake - I'd taken crest to be the tops of the range which, I guess, is where the divide would be.
spot

Appalachian trail?

Post by spot »

We have national trails in England too, I've walked parts of some of them. They tend not to be as long as the one under discussion.

The concept is flawed though. The problem is that when they're surveyed and first walked they're pristine. Put a hundred thousand boots a year over them and they break down very soon, then the gravel spreaders come in to repair the ground surface and suddenly you're walking a pavement through the countryside while never actually touching grass. When the area is naturally moist it's even more sensitive. I remember the Pennine Way in a fairly damaged state in the 60s. When I last saw the same stretch twenty years ago it would have qualified as the best road in pre-Roman Britain instead of wilderness.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Wandrin

Appalachian trail?

Post by Wandrin »

Bryn Mawr;1505201 wrote: OK, my mistake - I'd taken crest to be the tops of the range which, I guess, is where the divide would be.

Each of the three trails is on a different mountain range. The Continental Divide Trail is in the Rockies. The PCT is in the Sierra Nevada mountain range which becomes the Cascade range on the northern end. The high point on the PCT is a bit over 13,000' (4,000m). The high point on the CDT is a bit over 14,000'.
gmc

Appalachian trail?

Post by gmc »

Never been to the US. Flights to the likes of new york and san francisco seem reasonable and appeal as I really don't have the time for much touring about but I'd like to see the likes of death valley and the grand canyon.
LarsMac

Appalachian trail?

Post by LarsMac »

Wandrin;1505204 wrote: Each of the three trails is on a different mountain range. The Continental Divide Trail is in the Rockies. The PCT is in the Sierra Nevada mountain range which becomes the Cascade range on the northern end. The high point on the PCT is a bit over 13,000' (4,000m). The high point on the CDT is a bit over 14,000'.

And for comparison, The highest point on the Appalachian Trail (Clingman's Dome) is 6643 ft (2024 m)
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Appalachian trail?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot;1505203 wrote: We have national trails in England too, I've walked parts of some of them. They tend not to be as long as the one under discussion.

The concept is flawed though. The problem is that when they're surveyed and first walked they're pristine. Put a hundred thousand boots a year over them and they break down very soon, then the gravel spreaders come in to repair the ground surface and suddenly you're walking a pavement through the countryside while never actually touching grass. When the area is naturally moist it's even more sensitive. I remember the Pennine Way in a fairly damaged state in the 60s. When I last saw the same stretch twenty years ago it would have qualified as the best road in pre-Roman Britain instead of wilderness.

One of the best in England is the Ridgeway but it must be forty years since I walked parts of it.

It was first surveyed over five thousand years ago and certainly classed as pristine wilderness then :-)
Bryn Mawr

Appalachian trail?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Wandrin;1505204 wrote: Each of the three trails is on a different mountain range. The Continental Divide Trail is in the Rockies. The PCT is in the Sierra Nevada mountain range which becomes the Cascade range on the northern end. The high point on the PCT is a bit over 13,000' (4,000m). The high point on the CDT is a bit over 14,000'.

Oh I see - I hadn't realised that there was more than one north south range. Off to look at a few maps to sort my ideas out, thank you.
spot

Appalachian trail?

Post by spot »

spot goes looking for his boots
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
AnneBoleyn

Appalachian trail?

Post by AnneBoleyn »

I've walked the northern parts of Ap. Trail. gmc, I would be glad to show you around NYC. Went w/Bruv to Central Park & Strawberry Fields. Had a fabulous time, I'd be happy to meet more Forum Gardeners!
gmc

Appalachian trail?

Post by gmc »

AnneBoleyn;1505223 wrote: I've walked the northern parts of Ap. Trail. gmc, I would be glad to show you around NYC. Went w/Bruv to Central Park & Strawberry Fields. Had a fabulous time, I'd be happy to meet more Forum Gardeners!

I've seen new york so much in films it looks interesting enough I'd want to visit just to see it fo real, same with places like boston. Most of the oldest european cities were built when people walked everywhere even the ones rebuilt after the war kind of kept that closeness you get a sense of people and place - if that makes any sense. Los angeles i suspect is the kind of place I would want to get out of quicj=kly san francisco looks interesting.

posted by bryn mawr

One of the best in England is the Ridgeway but it must be forty years since I walked parts of it.

It was first surveyed over five thousand years ago and certainly classed as pristine wilderness then :-)

I try and walk the west highland way once a year just o se if I'm still fit enough, I'm not but I know where all the best pubs are. Quite fancy the cape wrath trail, walked or cycled most of it at one time or another same with the cross country routes just never all in one go. Best way to see scotland is by mountain bike it's covered by a network of old military roads and ancient footpaths that anyone who can read a map can find and you don't have the access problems you have in england. Helps if you are insane

Bryn Mawr

Appalachian trail?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

gmc;1505228 wrote: I've seen new york so much in films it looks interesting enough I'd want to visit just to see it fo real, same with places like boston. Most of the oldest european cities were built when people walked everywhere even the ones rebuilt after the war kind of kept that closeness you get a sense of people and place - if that makes any sense. Los angeles i suspect is the kind of place I would want to get out of quicj=kly san francisco looks interesting.

posted by bryn mawr

I try and walk the west highland way once a year just o se if I'm still fit enough, I'm not but I know where all the best pubs are. Quite fancy the cape wrath trail, walked or cycled most of it at one time or another same with the cross country routes just never all in one go. Best way to see scotland is by mountain bike it's covered by a network of old military roads and ancient footpaths that anyone who can read a map can find and you don't have the access problems you have in england. Helps if you are insane

I'm just reading Guy Martin's latest book, Worms to Catch, where he describes mountain biking across Scotland and Northern Ireland taking in several of the BMX tracks and using the old trails. He used it as training before riding the CDT from Banff in Canada to Antelope Wells in New Mexico (2745 miles in 18 days).

I wouldn't mind but it was only a few months after he'd broken his back preparing for the TT.

Return to “Travel Places”