Truth Social

Discuss all things Internet related.
spot

Truth Social

Post by spot »

Truth Social is the Donald Trump alternative to social media. The Guardian says it's about to collapse from unpaid bills, I'm not sure I believe that. So I signed up.

Here's the first article I was pointed to on joining...
SALEM, OR — Foothill Unified School District has expelled student Casey Whitman after she hatefully held up a mirror to her teacher, Mx. Jen Littleton, reflecting Littleton's deranged rant on gender identity, pronouns, and sex changes.

"By merely holding up a mirror to Mx. Littleton's insane views, Whitman was targeting xer for harassment and endangering xer life," said the district superintendent. "Can you imagine if someone saw that? The little monster needs to be stopped. The kid, I mean."

According to sources, Littleton saw herself giving an absolutely insane speech where she told the class of second graders that they might be the wrong gender and that they should consider mutilating their bodies to be happier in life. She was horrified as she saw herself shouting about how much she hated Trump, America, and cisgendered people, and she was especially shocked when she saw herself leading the class in a pledge of allegiance to the pride flag.

After viewing her own insanity, Littleton concluded that the real problem was the little girl reflecting her views in the mirror.

"I saw the insanity that I was spouting, and I realized that this student amplifying my views was the real hateful bigot," said Littleton through tears. "How dare this little girl reflect my own maniacal babblings back to me!"

Whitman has been banned from Twitter, Facebook, Fortnite, and popular knitting site Ravelry.

https://babylonbee.com/news/student-who ... te-speech/
I believe that even less.

I have no idea how these people (Truth Social, not The Guardian) distinguish truth from fiction.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
LarsMac

Re: Truth Social

Post by LarsMac »

Simple enough.
"If I believe it, it must be true."
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I want to join...

Curiously, the made up story continues hatred to witches/wise women/herbal doctors. The storyteller implies that the younger girl is a witch and therefore wicked because she uses the mirror to 'reflect' hatred back to where it came from.

It's a very bizarre tale all round. :shock:
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

You do get that "The Babylon Bee" is basically a Right Wing version of "The Onion." Right?
I have found that a number of my neighbors were unaware of that until I pointed it out.
Now they don't talk to me, anymore.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

What puzzles me is how the authors categorize their genre. Do they think it's parody? Are they witless enough to consider it satirical? In what sense do they think it isn't deliberate lying, especially since they know so many reeders will think it's accurate reporting?
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

Dammit I wanted to read 'Wife Excitedly Exchanges Summer Sweaters For Fall Sweaters' on The Babylon Bee but it wants me to pay money :lol: And when I close the subscribe window it throws this at me
Escape the censors and toxic social media platforms

Big Tech and woke Twitter mobs are suppressing conservative voices. Sign up now for access to our world-class headline forum that gives you a healthy, respectful place to comment, like and share with like-minded people.
Join

We care about the protection of your data. Read our Privacy Policy.
spot

Post by spot »

I'd love to be a woke mob, but not to the extent of registering with Twitter.

I left extended metaphor off my list of possible excuses for these anonymous deliberate liars, but I don't think they write well enough.

This, on the other hand, is Franz Kafka demonstrating extended metaphor with what is clearly a deliberate lie:

One morning, when Gregor Samsa woke from troubled dreams, he found himself transformed in his bed into a giant cockroach.
Betty Boop

Post by Betty Boop »

I don't Twit, I did have an account at some point but didn't like the place.

Am I woke? Woke is abused nowadays and I'd probably be called a snowflake, what is with the all name calling. :(
spot

Post by spot »

Name calling is a substitute for discussion, perhaps. The posters on Rant Rave thought it displayed intelligence.

To describe someone as a giant cockroach one really ought to be on the side of the cockroaches, otherwise you can get shocking outcomes.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

They used to be somewhat clever, now and again, but it appears that they have found a calling - or perhaps just a nice revenue stream - appealing to the Fright Wing crowd.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:55 pm You do get that "The Babylon Bee" is basically a Right Wing version of "The Onion." Right?
I have found that a number of my neighbors were unaware of that until I pointed it out.
Now they don't talk to me, anymore.
And actually, the "Bee" bit had me fooled. I look at the Sacramento Bee quite often, and that's part of a Bee group of papers all of which end in Bee, and the Bee Group papers are legitimate news sources with a long-standing reputation to uphold. The idea that some wastrel tossers can hitch themselves to that with impunity has me puzzled and somewhat disappointed.

On a point of information, it is my understanding that satire as a genre does not include lies. I'd be interested to see examples of anything that traditionally qualifies as satire which is also a lie. Looking back at examples, The Modest Proposal or Beyond The Fringe avoided lying. Peter Cook, for instance, presented a speech as from Macmillan describing the British relationship with America regarding our nuclear deterrent but Cook didn't pretend it was a verbatim transcript. Or this:

Satire:

1964? Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

As Cook's Macmillan put it:
While I was abroad, I was very moved to receive letters from people in acute distress all over the country. And one in particular from an old age pensioner in Fife is indelibly printed on my memory. Let me read it to you. It reads 'Dear Prime Minister, I am an old age pensioner in Fife, living on a fixed income of some two pounds, seven shillings a week. This is not enough. What do you of the Conservative Party propose to do about it?'.

Well, let me say right away, Mrs McFarlane, as one Scottish old age pensioner to another, be of good cheer. There are many people in this country today who are far worse off than yourself. And it is the policy of the Conservative Party to see that this position is maintained."
I was still at primary school when that was first performed in London but it sums up 2022 quite well. I don't think it qualifies as a lie but it's definitively satirical.
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I contemplated signing up for this thing, but I don't really think I want to be that close to the Orange Hutt.
If I want to know what the idiot Right is thinking, I can go down to the local Pub and get an earful.
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

LarsMac wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:20 am If I want to know what the idiot Right is thinking, I can go down to the local Pub and get an earful.
Television and film have left an indelible impression on my mind, that every local Pub in America has at least one pole-dancer twirling his, her or their tassels in a cage. Is this still true of the rural Pubs you frequent?
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:00 am
LarsMac wrote: Sat Sep 03, 2022 8:20 am If I want to know what the idiot Right is thinking, I can go down to the local Pub and get an earful.
Television and film have left an indelible impression on my mind, that every local Pub in America has at least one pole-dancer twirling his, her or their tassels in a cage. Is this still true of the rural Pubs you frequent?
Um,..., Nope. I think that those dancing poles are, for the most part, only in a few rather sparkly type places in the big cities. Though, there was this one truck stop near Las Vegas that had one of those, back in the late '70s.

The Farmers and Ranchers around here don't seem to go for that sort of thing.
This is more their style, these days:
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I'm sure neither Mr Starsky nor Mr Hutch ever saw one of those in their investigations.
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

spot wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:37 am I'm sure neither Mr Starsky nor Mr Hutch ever saw one of those in their investigations.
Whereas I found one in, of all places, Gateshead.

The lads in the office there took me to a nightclub once - it was an interesting experience!
spot

Post by spot »

ForumGarden pays good money for photos of such occasions. Try to include the queue of ambulances.

Return to “The Internet”