Teenagers!

Der Wulf

Teenagers!

Post by Der Wulf »

slushpuppy wrote: I am the mum of 2 teenagers, a boy of 16 and a girl of 13. They are great kids most of the time but its not easy is it? What do you say to your 16 yr old when he wants his girlfriend to stay over, not in the same room but still, who knows what they might get up to when we're asleep? And how do you get them to stop smoking or not to start in the first place? Having tried and failed with the punitive approach, we are now hoping he will get it out of his system and stop on his own. And how do you get them to study for exams when they'd rather be out with their mates? Can hardly lock him in his room as he's over 6ft tall! And what do you when your son's girlfriend announces she's bisexual? Help, help, help!!!

:-5
I tried to convince my own that I had the ability to remove their genitals and keep them in storage until they turned 21. ;)
Old age and treachery, is an acceptable response to overwelming youth and skill :D
Der Wulf

Teenagers!

Post by Der Wulf »

pixiepet wrote:

Now see that's the kind of parenting I can get on board with......

but seriously Slushpuppy, I don't have any pearls of wisdom to impart regarding your situation...... you just have to feel you're way around in the dark hell that is being a parent of teenagers and hope for the best...... knowing that eventually they will leave home and hopefully become productive members of society..... leaving you a burnt out, neurotic shadow of the person you used to be before they came along and bled you dry.....

True words, wisely spoken. Children are given to us as little savages, our job is to effect their civilization. Unfortunately the unique mix of genetics, enviroment, and circumstance preclude any text book or "parenting for dummies".

Parents must have a healthy constitution, strong resolve, sense of humor, patience, and endless love. desirable options include an upgradable BS detector, stealth camera, mind reader, multitasking mind with the ability to present a view of yourself at that age.

There is however a reward for your dedication, grand children. These are not only a delight, but your secret weapon in extracting vengence for those especially rude events suffered at the hands of their parents.

[oh sweetie, moma and daddy did'nt mean to ignore you while shopping for this beautiful new car, here's a nice brownie to make you feel better on the ride home :rolleyes:] :D
Old age and treachery, is an acceptable response to overwelming youth and skill :D
Der Wulf

Teenagers!

Post by Der Wulf »

pixiepet wrote: Sadly this reward may never come my way as my son is gay..... but you never know......he may decide to adopt..... hope springs eternal.....

and though I painted a pretty bleak picture of parenthood, I wouldn't have missed the experience for the world..... my son's actually kinda wonderful.....
If nothing else, parenting provides a wealth of memories, and the tellin of "war" stories by a group of slightly "medicated" parents is priceless. I started collecting "ammunition" in the form of pictures, grade cards, notes about some of their outrageous antics and ideas long before I knew of the joy's of grandkids.

These work well when the youngsters start taking themselves too seriously. An "innocent" sharing of a family album with your son's special friends, makes a great ice breaker, each "tender barb" mutually enjoyed, gets you 2 points on the great parent's vs kids scorecard.;)
chicagolosina

Teenagers!

Post by chicagolosina »

I guess teenagers are akin to a rollercoaster...you get in, lift your hands high in the air and enjoy the ride. :driving:

They also say that whatever you do to your parents comes back on your tenfold...so you can enjoy that thought...of course I have a teenager who is just the best kid going...but two girls who will be teenagers in a few years..I think I'm in trouble , I was a pain in the ass as a kid, I think I made my parents have grey hair.....really!
greydeadhead

Teenagers!

Post by greydeadhead »

I would suggest a chastity belt for each.. until they turn 21.. then let them loose on world.. bwahahahahahaha.... okay..serious note

I would try and keep the lines of communication open if possible.. I mean by the time they hit this age threats or rewards are pretty much useless. So try treating like a young adult.. I mean that is what they are now. I did notice that as my daughter went thru her teen years the most difficult thing for me to do was to think of her in adult terms.. in other words I guess Iwanter her to say my little girl.. but alas.. despite our best intentions.. they do have that nasty habit of growing up.. Thankfully she avoided people like myself during those same teen years.. oh.. that was my worse nightmare..

And even though they seem unappreciative now.. fear not.. in the coming years all ofyour hard work parenting will come to fruitation..

you know

when they come back and take over your house..

and put you in the home for the old...

and they try to feed you prune juice and oatmeal, when all you want is a beer and a spliff

damn.. now I am depressed too...
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap
BabyRider

Teenagers!

Post by BabyRider »

skittles2004 wrote: Your screwed. I know for a fact that the person won't stop smoking because I can't. You can't change the girl who is bi-sexual. But all in all your screwed. Have fun! If you tell him "NO" for no reason of coarse hes going to rebel. well mainly because of society screwed us.Hey Skittles...A bit more insight and a little less rudeness is called for here. Quit blaming "society" and everything else around you for things and have a look in a mirror. People come here to discuss, not slam. Lighten up.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

lady cop

Teenagers!

Post by lady cop »

i don't expect to see any more rude posts. :(
minks

Teenagers!

Post by minks »

yep as a teen my brother and I drove our parents to drinking....

I think the only advise I can give on raising teens, is as long as we the parents continue to teach them right from wrong, educate them on as many of life's trials and tribulations, we have to then allow them to grow and learn the rest on their own and hope like hades they have gained from us the ability to choose wisely. Respect their decisions as long as no one stands to get seroiusly hurt, or tossed into the clink. Offer encouragement when things go well, and support when things fall to pieces. And other than that think to ourselves that we did the best we could with what life has served us.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
minks

Teenagers!

Post by minks »

skittles2004 wrote: Your screwed. I know for a fact that the person won't stop smoking because I can't. You can't change the girl who is bi-sexual. But all in all your screwed. Have fun! If you tell him "NO" for no reason of coarse hes going to rebel. well mainly because of society screwed us.

Hey skittles what country are you from. Society only screws those who wanna be screwed because they can't think for themselves. How old are you and why are you thinking society screwed you? Social services not dole out enough to support you or what?

Sorry I think you ought to come and back up your statement here.

― Mae West
busybee

Teenagers!

Post by busybee »

Oh dear skittles i think you got some issues u need to deal with. Isn't society about what you put into it, rather than what u can get out of it. And i don't mean to be disrespectful to you, i don't know you. Everyone does have things they wish they could change.

Slushpuppy, I'm guessing it's just a phase your son's g/f is going through - trying to understand her sexuality. If not they'll have to work it out amongst themselves - the joys of parenthood......you might not like what they're up to but can't really prevent them from being their own "selves".

That make any sense to you?

LOL i just might be calling on you for some advice when my girls hit the "terrible teens".

As for the smoking, there's a thread elsewhere on giving children nicotine patches.

Take care - whatever happens with the kids remember - it's not your fault, you did your best for them.

Busybee :-6
BabyRider

Teenagers!

Post by BabyRider »

skittles2004 wrote: yikes i didnt even know i posted that. My bad.
Not being an antagonist here, but how do you "not realize" you posted something? It's not like it was a single instance of rudeness.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

Der Wulf

Teenagers!

Post by Der Wulf »

skittles2004 wrote: I know for a fact that the person won't stop smoking because I can't. You can't change the girl who is bi-sexual. If you tell him "NO" for no reason of coarse he's going to rebel. well mainly because of society screwed us.
Yo Skittles, kinda stepped into it, did'nt ya, .......used to do that myself, here's a challange. Do a little research, talk to yer folk's, find out about their teen years, compare them to yours, then come back and tell us how you are screwed worse than they were.

Tell ya a little secret, my dad was the most ignorant, stupid, just plain mean SOB ever. Somehow between my 19th and 21st birthday he smartened up and turned into a great guy with terrific advice, we got to be great friends, especially when one of my kids would give me the "you are the most ignorant" ect look.

He would give me a grin, shake his head, and mutter "guess the acorn did'nt fall far from the tree did it"? :-2
minks

Teenagers!

Post by minks »

Der Wulf wrote: Yo Skittles, kinda stepped into it, did'nt ya, .......used to do that myself, here's a challange. Do a little research, talk to yer folk's, find out about their teen years, compare them to yours, then come back and tell us how you are screwed worse than they were.

Tell ya a little secret, my dad was the most ignorant, stupid, just plain mean SOB ever. Somehow between my 19th and 21st birthday he smartened up and turned into a great guy with terrific advice, we got to be great friends, especially when one of my kids would give me the "you are the most ignorant" ect look.

He would give me a grin, shake his head, and mutter "guess the acorn did'nt fall far from the tree did it"? :-2

Cudo's DW, I think you and I had dads cut from the same cloth. I detested mine for years. Now I think he is the most awesome old man on the planet. I love him dearly and he is always there for me and looking back he was always there for me when I was a kid, spankings, groundings, and all. I learned a lot from him without even realizing I was learning (way back then)

Perhaps young skittles is our typical garden varitey hormonal teen.

― Mae West
along-for-the-ride

Teenagers!

Post by along-for-the-ride »

" I hope when you have kids, your kids grow up to be just like you!" :wah:
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Peg

Teenagers!

Post by Peg »

And what about the clash between developing hormons and menopausal ones?.

:yh_giggle I found that part hysterical but man is it true!
kensloft

Teenagers!

Post by kensloft »

Happy Mother's Day, pixiepet. What I liked the most about my son was that when he was turning towards twenty one he realized that his influence on me had turned me into a brilliant, perceptive, studious and educated man. Within those past months or year that had just gone bye he was able to mould me into his image. I was one lucky dude... ?
kensloft

Teenagers!

Post by kensloft »

Congratulations slushpuppy. Al that hard work pays off in the end.
busybee

Teenagers!

Post by busybee »

slushpuppy wrote: Today I got a beautiful bouquet of flowers, a box of chocs, a brooch and a card from my wonderful teenagers! All is forgiven, they are the most wonderful children in the world and I wouldn't change them for anything - ok well maybe I would change them for Mel Gibson, a girl can dream after all! :wah:

It is good to know you are appreciated - even if it is only once a year! I was ordered to stay in bed and a menu is served to me. Coffee, tea, toast, or....wait for it cereal (spelt cirial - by my 6 year old). I chose the coffee and toast and my oldest put some cheese on it for me..........lol, she cut it so thick somehow it resembled a doorstep. I did smile as i remembered being a kid trying to please my mum on mothers day. And it was good to lay in bed and do nothing for a while longer than usual.

Of course, as soon as i got up it was business as usual - change the sheets on the beds, the dishes, the hoovering, blah blah ...but it's tough at the top.

Busybee :-6

Return to “Kids Family”