Help My 4 year old freaked me out today

Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

A little earlier my son and I were discussing what he had learned at his preschool class this morning. We were discussing the letter K and kangaroos. Well then he gives me a hug tells me he loves me. Then tells me I'm gonna die. Ok totally floored me. I'm not sure how to react to this. Help!

Sheryl
"Girls are crazy! I'm not ever getting married, I can make my own sandwiches!"

my son
valerie

Post by valerie »

I hope someone with better knowledge of kids comes on here to give

advice, but I can tell you not to freak, it is not unusual for kids that

age to say something like that. (I know I did) Probably best to just

not make much of it. He'll be on to something else before you know it!

Take care

:)
Tamsen's Dogster Page

http://www.dogster.com/?27525

Jives

Post by Jives »

So he must have just found out that all things die, and realizing that you are older than he, he thinks you are going to go soon.

Is it too soon to sit down and explain this in detail?
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Lon

Post by Lon »

Sheryl wrote: A little earlier my son and I were discussing what he had learned at his preschool class this morning. We were discussing the letter K and kangaroos. Well then he gives me a hug tells me he loves me. Then tells me I'm gonna die. Ok totally floored me. I'm not sure how to react to this. Help!

Sheryl
That's not an unusual thing for a pre schooler to say. One of my grandchildren said the same to me. I replied "Yes I will die Aaron, but not today. All things die, birds, flowers and your dog Rusty". He nodded and went on to something else.
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Thanks for replying back. Your comments have helped me a bit. I was just shocked I guess that he told me this out of blue, when we were discussing kangaroos of all things.

Sheryl

my son
Peg

Post by Peg »

Did you ask why he said and thought that?
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

No Peg, I did not. He immediatly begin explaining how he was going to take his tractor to the barn to fix something on it. My husband is a farmer, and my son loves to go work with him. So he's always explaining what's he gonna be doing on the farm that day too.

Sheryl

my son
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Sheryl wrote: A little earlier my son and I were discussing what he had learned at his preschool class this morning. We were discussing the letter K and kangaroos. Well then he gives me a hug tells me he loves me. Then tells me I'm gonna die. Ok totally floored me. I'm not sure how to react to this. Help!

SherylNot to worry, most preschool age children don't fully understand the finality of death and your son is probably just experimenting with a word he's heard, just like any other new word he might hear. However, the fact that he has heard the word and attempted to use it provides you with a good opportunity to broach the subject. Death is a fact of life, as much as we hate to think about it, and it is something that needs to be discussed. Here are some links that may help you talk with your son about death and dying in an age appropriate manner.

http://parentcenter.babycenter.com/refc ... 65680.html

http://library.adoption.com/Death-Griev ... 164/1.html

http://www.indianchild.com/parenting/pr ... oolers.htm
"A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle." -James Keller

Say what you mean but don't say it mean. :yh_peace
Sheryl

Post by Sheryl »

Thank you Enigma for the links.

my son
kensloft

Post by kensloft »

Sheryl
Out of the mouths of babes. They do it to you everytime. He is probably just trying totalk. You should still ask him why he said it. Sort of the opposite of what my daughter did one day. Walked up to me one day and out of the blue planted a kiss on me. I was stunned. Couldn't for the life of me figure out why? Took me aback, big time. Kids?
Enigma

Post by Enigma »

Sheryl wrote: Thank you Enigma for the links. :-6 I hope they help in some way.
"A candle loses nothing of its light by lighting another candle." -James Keller

Say what you mean but don't say it mean. :yh_peace
minks

Post by minks »

Children are wee sponges and pick up the strangest things and really at that young of age have no idea when it is appropriate to say what. And as others have stated, don't be to shocked just gently inquire about where he found this out, what he thinks about it and leave it be, cause he likely won't understand to much explanation at his age. Little minds take in a lot but spit it right back out without really digesting it and understanding too much, that is why we put them in school at age 6 and not sooner.

I hope you one day will look back at this incedent and giggle.

Kids say the darndest things.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West

Return to “Kids Family”