ADHD Kids?

koan

ADHD Kids?

Post by koan »

I'm glad they discovered what was wrong and the medication has been helping. It must have been very frustrating for the whole family including your middle aged child! I wonder if naturopaths have any cures for the disorder?
koan

ADHD Kids?

Post by koan »

It so great that you have found something to ease the symptoms! I think having the medication to give immediate relief is a wise move. I just wonder if natural remedies might help when he gets older and might be more resentful of taking medication every day. Fixing the 'now' is very important. Otherwise it would be too exhausting on everyone, and damaging to the other children to have to live with it.
minks

ADHD Kids?

Post by minks »

You have your hands full Mary.

My youngest daughter has ADHD and one of the things I found that reduced the agression was researching food allergies, RED DYE was killer, she would eat spagetti, or anything with ketchup or anything red, purple, or orange and go off in a rage, she kicked the dog, she kicked the sitters son one day while watching TV. She would run about like a bull in a china shop she was very aggressive.

The elimination of red dye was tough as way back then all kids meds were pretty colors and flavors there was no clear cough medicine no tablets that were not of a red color base but we managed, I ended up resorting to a couple teaspoons of brandy for cough supression when she got sick.

Caffine has a reverse affect on ADHD and I was told to supply my daughter with Jolt Cola at lunch to help get her calmed half way through a day in school. She was supplied with a doodle pad, stress ball and pens at school as these aided in getting her to keep control of her brain (much like riot control in the head) I to date have refused drugs the side affects worry me and in females seem much worse when they are in puberty with the onslaught of raging hormone changes. We found some success with the use of Hemp oil taken daily in juice. And for now we are satisfied. She will always be spirited, I have accepted the regular calls from school about her disruptive behavior, I have accepted the idiocy of teachers that say "L did you forget to take your meds today? I have accepted the no peace in my home lifestyle as her and I co-exist" I still struggle with her when we go out at times and I still struggle with her around the new Guy as it is unfamilliar to some adults to be around a child with her "so called attitude" But she is turning out to be a well rounded child with a loving atmosphere in general and even in times of high stress she was able to cope reasonably well. As time goes on Mary you will find some relief albiet ADHD is for life so folks just have to accept it.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
BabyRider

ADHD Kids?

Post by BabyRider »

My nephew is ADHD, along with some other issues that I don't pretend to understand. He is a genius, too. Reads at a college level, and has for some time. He can do math that looks like hieroglyphics to me. He reads textbooks that I have never heard of for "fun". He just turned 10. He also is prone to what we call "meltdowns" at the drop of a hat. Kicking screaming rages that can't be predicted or controlled.

My sister very reluctantly put him on meds and he has been doing better, slow progress and lots of "tweaking" doses and medications. When he is having a good day, he is a total joy to have around. Being so brilliant, he's a constant source of mind-boggling thoughts and theories. When he's having a bad day, I wonder how my sister copes. She's a single mom, and works her butt off going to school and working full-time and dealing with him. I am SO impressed with her and with anyone who has to deal with these wonderful, aggravating, perplexing, surprising children. You folks have my admiration, because I really don't know how you do it. The exposure I have to my nephew is a bit limited, and even that tries my patience on occassion. Terrible thing to say, but it's true. My sister has done wonders for her son, with no help from anyone, including his louse of a father. (Sorry, sis, can't resist those jabs...)

I hope she gets on and reads this stuff, and gets even more help with this. You parents are truly to be applauded!!! I'd be in a looney bin by now!
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

minks

ADHD Kids?

Post by minks »

BabyRider wrote: My nephew is ADHD, along with some other issues that I don't pretend to understand. He is a genius, too. Reads at a college level, and has for some time. He can do math that looks like hieroglyphics to me. He reads textbooks that I have never heard of for "fun". He just turned 10. He also is prone to what we call "meltdowns" at the drop of a hat. Kicking screaming rages that can't be predicted or controlled.

My sister very reluctantly put him on meds and he has been doing better, slow progress and lots of "tweaking" doses and medications. When he is having a good day, he is a total joy to have around. Being so brilliant, he's a constant source of mind-boggling thoughts and theories. When he's having a bad day, I wonder how my sister copes. She's a single mom, and works her butt off going to school and working full-time and dealing with him. I am SO impressed with her and with anyone who has to deal with these wonderful, aggravating, perplexing, surprising children. You folks have my admiration, because I really don't know how you do it. The exposure I have to my nephew is a bit limited, and even that tries my patience on occassion. Terrible thing to say, but it's true. My sister has done wonders for her son, with no help from anyone, including his louse of a father. (Sorry, sis, can't resist those jabs...)

I hope she gets on and reads this stuff, and gets even more help with this. You parents are truly to be applauded!!! I'd be in a looney bin by now!

Naw you would not be in the "bin" as parents we do the best we can with our own kids and we seem to see it as a daily thing that we just deal with and carry on. I never realized my daughter had ADHD until she was 11 and finally diagnosed with it by a professional. Up until then I thought she was just "spirited" unlike her much calmer and steadier older sister. All the power to your sis, and you Mary our special kids will forever be treasures in their own ways.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
hotsauce

ADHD Kids?

Post by hotsauce »

I am a special education teacher. I have many ADHD, ADD, or ODD (or combination of all) students. Some of my students are AD triple H D. :D I applaud you for trying behavioral counseling first. Many parents want to jump right into the meds.

I have seen medication work miracles! I am a big believer in them. Although, it may take a bit to get the amounts just right. I had a student who would sit and chew holes in his clothes. He could not attend to anything...even things he really enjoyed. He is on medication now and doing wonderfully! Meds can make a difference.

Return to “Kids Family”