Uni Visits - Any Advice or Tips out there?

Jives

Post by Jives »

Well congratulations on raising a fine daughter! Will she be working after school hours to finance the education?

My only tip is this, although some off campus apartments are very cheap and may seem like a good deal, ask around first. Some of those neighborhoods are unpleasant and unsafe.

I got an aprtment once in Phoenix, I only found out later that my neighborhood was knicknamed "Sin City" for the number of drug dealers there.
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
Jives

Post by Jives »

Wonderful! Very pretty country, wouldn't you say? I just wish I could say I'd spent the night in England!!! lol!
Jives

Post by Jives »

Oh! I thought of some other uni tips....

1. Get to the library first after a big assignment is issued. Check out the best books!

2. Get to know your counselor very well, mine saved me many times as far as getting the classes I needed.

3. Don't overload....If you are taking an advanced math class, avoid advanced physics until the next semester. Always have at least one "fun" class each semsester like "Appreciation of Cinema" or "Mythology" or "Drawing" it helps to keep you from burning out.

4. Get good study skills. Take good notes and remember to put aside a little time each night away from distractions to study. Seriously, no TV while studying! I could go into how that messes up the recall ability, but just take my (a teacher's) word for it.

5. Get on those big asignments immediately, DO NOT put off any assignments, a quick start ensures plenty of time to edit and expand and a very good quality assignment at the end with little stress.

6. Get involved in the campus life. The more you put into college, the more you get out of it.

7. Watch out for the pitfalls. You know what I'm talking about...drugs, sex, and rock and roll. it's easy to get sucked in with the new freedoms and suddenly find yourself passed out in an alley.

8. Choose your friends wisely. One bad friend is all it takes to ruin a career.

9. Keep an open mind. There is a lot of politics at Uni. Listen, and judge, but stay true to yourself.

10. Don't let one failure break your self confidence! I had to take advanced Calculus two times to pass it!

11. If you are out of your depth in a class, drop it! You can take it later. Do not let a bad grade get on your transcript. This isn't high school, (college) companies will look at that transcript later!

12. Adapt to the teacher. This isn't widely known, but certain teachers can be reasoned with and may even admit it when they are wrong. (like me!) But many take any form of argument as a direct affront. Beware of them. You can't win and even though it's not supposed to be illegal to use subjective opinions in grading, it goes on all the time. You may win an argument with a teacher, only to find that it cost you a letter grade on the transcripts! (Sorry, but it's true.)

13. Be prolific! generally speaking, the larger, the more intricate, and the more technical a peice of work is in Uni, the better the chance it will get a good grade. Why settle for a 9 page paper, when by adding a few graphs, pictures, and restating a few sentences and ideas it can be a 40 page paper? Bigger is better! (That's how I maintained a perfect 4.0 average in three separate Universities for 11 years!) :D

Return to “Kids Family”