abbey

Family Vacations

Post by abbey »

Sounds like you had a lovely time Mary.

Good to have you back x :)
minks

Family Vacations

Post by minks »

Kids can be taken anywhere for a vacation as long as you feed their brains and entertain them. I have taken mine to fun places like disneyland and sea world, and Jamaica and to local small towns. They just need to be kept ... "thinking and amused"

I was taken all over the west when I was a kid and am forever grateful to my parents for filling my brain and keeping it active as well as making things fun.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
David813

Family Vacations

Post by David813 »

I LOVE the word "vacation." It's the "Family" in front that bugs me! I yearn to travel 24/7, but with kids? NO THANX!! I remember my now 20 yr. old son on a short trip to the Ozarks in '94. :cool: Unreal. The whining, screaming, arguing, headaches, nausea and expense was a nightmare. Send me off to Prince Edward Island by myself for 3 months and I'll be in heaven.
"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group that believes you can do these things. Among them are a few Texas millionaires, or businessman from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." [font=Arial Narrow][/font]

President Dwight D. Eisenhower Nov. 08, 1954
robinseggs

Family Vacations

Post by robinseggs »

That is terrible David! LOL....well -if he was crying, whining, screaming....you were trying to do the wrong things in the wrong places. My mom and I were just discussing this very thing YESTERDAY! How ironic. We both agreed that there are people that take their kids on trips for the kids and there are people that take their kids on trips for themselves. For example, last year we took our 3 young children to New Orleans for spring break. Some people I knew raised their eyebrows...("New Orleans w/ kids"??!) but what they don't realize is that there is a wonderful children's museum in N.O's. and ferry boat rides, an aquarium and the kids LOVED riding on the city's breezy streetcar system getting a great view of all of the city and lovely homes. During the day Jackson Square was a lot of fun and we did the Ripley's Believe it or Not museum. Sure, I would have LOVED to stroll through the French Quarter at night/dine out on the town and have a few drinks w/ my husband, but by 8 pm most nights we were up in our room after a long day out, watching kids movies/eating carryout or room service in bed! In contrast, some people I know took their kids on a 14 day cruise to Alaska on a ship that wasn't very kid friendly and when they got home they complained about how awful the kids had been! They said they dreaded the next family vacation yet the following spring they packed up for a 3 day train ride up north to go see some statue museum that the husband had always wanted to see!

I am not saying you didn't take your kids to all the fun places...I am sure you did Disney, amusement parks and aquariums....it is just that traveling with kids should be fun and if it is not, then something is wrong or needs to be adjusted.
Nature laughs Last

Return to “Kids Family”