Hollywood Irish style for kids

capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

In Catholic Ireland these days from Dublin to Donegal, the month of May has become the month of makeovers, manicures and face masks as the country's seven and eight-year olds gear up for the highlight of their social year. Holy Communion Day.

This is how teachers describe the mood of members as they watch the desperate measures being taken by schoolchildren to make sure they dazzle the diocese on their big day.

Parishioners in one Dublin parish,received a sober sermon from their local priest in which he appealed for balance on the excess this occasion now involves. Priests have become aware of the new range of accessories worn by children on the day including 'tiaras that flash the name Jesus' when the child receives Communion and stretch limos, the transport of choice by a growing number of families in the country.

''Many children will not be back in church again for some time because their rarely go to church anymore.

One priest said ''Religion'' It doesn't even come into it anymore''. The children come in in their limos and horse-drawn carriages looking like Barbie Dolls.
beyelzu

Post by beyelzu »

you know, I am an atheist and that irritates the hell out of me, I can only imagine how angry I would be if I was catholic.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

beyelzu wrote: you know, I am an atheist and that irritates the hell out of me, I can only imagine how angry I would be if I was catholic.What do Atheists believe in?

Anyway I'm not into religion, really.
beyelzu

Post by beyelzu »

nothing.

atheists dont believe in god.

I happen to also be a metaphysical naturalist. I dont believe in anything supernatural. I believe that science is the best tool for understanding the universe. I believe that if something can not be detected than it is functionally nonexistant.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Electricity, Sub atomic particles, magnetism. Took us a while to detect them but that doesnt mean they didnt exist before. Who knows whats there that we havent detected yetAnd all those UFOs:D
lou-lou

Post by lou-lou »

undefined

As a Catholic myself it really disappoints me that the parents have to have this competition every time one of your children recieves their first holy commiunion my daughter had hers five years ago and the over inflated egos of the mothers is staggering! For instance one of them went to Harrods to get her daughters dress!!

It's quite sad really as the girls (and the boys) get caught up in the bickering of the parents, Half of them never go to church and only start doing so for a few months before.... :-5
john8pies

Post by john8pies »

Not only would this be annoying, but surely it is actually COUNTER to the teachings of Jesus about humility, the Pharisees, etc etc?
beyelzu

Post by beyelzu »

ArnoldLayne wrote: Electricity, Sub atomic particles, magnetism. Took us a while to detect them but that doesnt mean they didnt exist before. Who knows whats there that we havent detected yet
and they all exist firmly in the universe and are part of the universe.

not a single example is supernatural. maybe early cave men thought magnets were magic, but it turns out that they arent. all are detectable as well. I have no doubt that there is much in the universe that we dont know about yet, I have no doubt that science will enable us to found out these things.

but this is such a derail, let's talk about catholics.

if you want to debate metaphysical naturalism or religion we should do it in a different thread.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

lou-lou wrote: undefined

As a Catholic myself it really disappoints me that the parents have to have this competition every time one of your children recieves their first holy commiunion my daughter had hers five years ago and the over inflated egos of the mothers is staggering! For instance one of them went to Harrods to get her daughters dress!!

It's quite sad really as the girls (and the boys) get caught up in the bickering of the parents, Half of them never go to church and only start doing so for a few months before.... :-5This is perhaps a wonderful day in a childs life, yet its ruined by the parents big notions.
lou-lou

Post by lou-lou »

What a shame it is oh for the sins of the parents!!!!!! My preist said he didn't care if the children turned up in rags just as long as they understood what was happening and had a good time!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Return to “Kids Family”