Time is Slipping Away!

How's your day going? Are you having a great work day - or - a horrible one? Got complaints about your boss? Your co-workers? Your spouse or friends? This is the place to let it hang out.
cars

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by cars »

The older a person gets, it seems the shorter time periods become. I recall when I was young, (say in my 20's) a year seemed to last forever. Then when I reached my 40's, a year seemed like it felt to pass bye in only 6 or 7 months time. Now in my early 60's, a year is starting to feel like it passes bye in two or three months. The realization of life's journey really coming to an end is beginning to set in. Putting things in perspective, when you're in your 20's, a "30", or even 40 year mortgage seems normal. Now in my 60's, a 10 year warrantee on a new car seems like almost a lifetime. It's a new mind altering change that is required to be dealt with. Currently, I'm trying to cope with readjusting my mind set, to finally realize that I'm eventually getting to the end of the ride! (Hopefully it won't end for another 25 or so years!) And if I do make it for those 25 years, will I want to go on if I'm still fairly healthy? (Guess I'll worry about it in 25 years) My MIL will be "90" in a few months, & she still says "look at those old people over there". She doesn't act /feel her age, & doesn't even know that most of those old people she's referring to are actually in reality, "younger" then she is! She keeps telling me that time flys bye so quickly, & I'm beginning to realize just exactally what she means! There are so many places I wanted to visit, & things I wanted to do, & "time" seems to be running out for some of them. And time even has actually run out for some of the more rigerous dangerous things I wanted to do when I was younger, but didn't! Oh well, I will have to concentrate on the things that I feel are still fairly safe for me to do!

So watch out, TIME IS SLIPPING AWAY on you too!
Cars :)
spot

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by spot »

I can recall the occasional day which has seemed to slip by quickly but in general, it's not my common state. It's far more usual for time to freeze and days to appear never-ending. Yesterday was oh so long ago, as a poet once remarked.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Bez

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by Bez »

Celebrating my 60th birthday made me realise that there's 60 years behind me and only about 20 years ahead (maybe).

Puts things in perspective.

You're right about the speed of time Cars.....it dragged when we were young, but gallops away now we're older.

I'm going to write a list of all things I WANT to do and all the things I MUST do....prioritise them and see where it takes me.:D
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
weber

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by weber »

Hey cars!!!!

Time is slipping away on me so fast these days that Monday and the day before Monday and Monday is the day after Monday.:D :D Can't hardly remember what goes on in between and sometimes can't remember Monday:p
miriam:yh_flower

Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.

.................Charles Mingus

http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/enter.cfm?
guppy

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by guppy »

why is it when you are happily doing something it flys by even faster?? but if you are bored or lonely or sad, it drrrrrrrraaaaaaggggggggs.:confused:
Uncle Kram

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by Uncle Kram »

It seems that time is passing by faster to me too Cars. I've mentioned this to many people and they all report a similar perception. At the end of the day, the sand's dropping through the egg-timer at the same rate but we suddenly become aware that there's not as much sand at the top as there used to be. I can't believe it's almost Christmas again.

I've also noticed a change in time perception when I'm extremely busy at work where I keep willing the clock to slow down as I've too much left to do. On quieter occasions however, I may, or may not have willed the reverse :lips: ;)

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN PUN
Supersilly@rse

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by Supersilly@rse »

Exactly!!!!!! I've said this many times to my friends.

Do you remember when you were in geography class, and there were still 15 minutes left until the bell? That seemed like a lifetime! And of course there was double french, which was an hour long and unbearable!

Now - I look at my clock and realise I've only got a week to finish a project on time, or only got an hour left to finish a presentation and it's just not enough time!!!!!!!

What a great post! Thank you! :D
cars

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by cars »

Bez;454100 wrote: Celebrating my 60th birthday made me realise that there's 60 years behind me and only about 20 years ahead (maybe).

Puts things in perspective.

You're right about the speed of time Cars.....it dragged when we were young, but gallops away now we're older.

I'm going to write a list of all things I WANT to do and all the things I MUST do....prioritise them and see where it takes me.:D

Exactly Bez, (By the way, Happy 60th again) the better part of our lives is behind us, & now the uncertain future is ahead! It's kinda scary, but it's also kinda challenging/adventurous at the same time! Like Carla's sig says, you have to "slide in sideways" at the end of the ride, with the body all used up! ;) Sounds like a plan! :)
cars

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by cars »

weber;454112 wrote: Hey cars!!!!

Time is slipping away on me so fast these days that Monday and the day before Monday and Monday is the day after Monday.:D :D Can't hardly remember what goes on in between and sometimes can't remember Monday:p

When I was still working web, by motto on a Friday was: The only thing wrong with Fridays is, that it's so much closer to Monday!:p
guppy

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by guppy »

cars;454199 wrote: Exactly Bez, (By the way, Happy 60th again) the better part of our lives is behind us, & now the uncertain future is ahead! It's kinda scary, but it's also kinda challenging/adventurous at the same time! Like Carla's sig says, you have to "slide in sideways" at the end of the ride, with the body all used up! ;) Sounds like a plan! :)

that is a good quote from carla. live life to the fullest. take chances. :)
daBunnyWendy7

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by daBunnyWendy7 »

guppy;454208 wrote: that is a good quote from carla. live life to the fullest. take chances. :)

what a good thread,Cars. Good quote from Carla...Cars, You are younger than you think.Make a list and have fun.

:D
Wendybunny

Everyone can make the world a better place!
lowrus

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by lowrus »

cars;454084 wrote: The older a person gets, it seems the shorter time periods become. I recall when I was young, (say in my 20's) a year seemed to last forever. Then when I reached my 40's, a year seemed like it felt to pass bye in only 6 or 7 months time. Now in my early 60's, a year is starting to feel like it passes bye in two or three months. The realization of life's journey really coming to an end is beginning to set in. Putting things in perspective, when you're in your 20's, a "30", or even 40 year mortgage seems normal. Now in my 60's, a 10 year warrantee on a new car seems like almost a lifetime. It's a new mind altering change that is required to be dealt with. Currently, I'm trying to cope with readjusting my mind set, to finally realize that I'm eventually getting to the end of the ride! (Hopefully it won't end for another 25 or so years!) And if I do make it for those 25 years, will I want to go on if I'm still fairly healthy? (Guess I'll worry about it in 25 years) My MIL will be "90" in a few months, & she still says "look at those old people over there". She doesn't act /feel her age, & doesn't even know that most of those old people she's referring to are actually in reality, "younger" the she is! She keeps telling me that time flys bye so quickly, & I'm beginning to realize just exactally what she means! There are so many places I wanted to visit, & things I wanted to do, & "time" seems to be running out for some of them. And time even has actually run out for some of the more rigerous dangerous things I wanted to do when I was younger, but didn't! Oh well, I will have to concentrate on the things that I feel are still fairly safe for me to do!

So watch out, TIME IS SLIPPING AWAY on you too!
This is so true, now i am in the 60 bracket i do notice time flying past especially when you hear a tune or a news event and realise how long ago it was when you thought it only happened the other week!! So now i treat every day as a bonus, no time for being miserable, never say i will do it later, or visit someone tomorrow, today could be the last day so enjoy it............
buttercup

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by buttercup »

good post cars, ive thought about this lately too
cars

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by cars »

buttercup;454268 wrote: good post cars, ive thought about this lately too

You know what they say BC, it's sad but true: If we only knew then, what we do know now! Youth is waisted on the young! :rolleyes:

We heard those corny sayings when we were young to, but the gravity of it didn't seem to really matter to us then, as it doesn't really matter to the youngsters reading this now. :wah:
chonsigirl

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by chonsigirl »

Time flies as we get older, but I still feel as young inside as I was at 16. Isn't that what matters most, how you feel inside?

I am 52, so I guess I do not worry much about going one day soon. I'll go when it is my time. And enjoy life until then.
Bez

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by Bez »

cars;454199 wrote: Exactly Bez, (By the way, Happy 60th again) the better part of our lives is behind us, & now the uncertain future is ahead! It's kinda scary, but it's also kinda challenging/adventurous at the same time! Like Carla's sig says, you have to "slide in sideways" at the end of the ride, with the body all used up! ;) Sounds like a plan! :)

I'm hoping that a better future lies ahead for me....I have no regrets about the past, but I am a little sad sometimes that things didn't turn out like I thought they would when I was a teenager....rose coloured specs and all that :D

Tomorrow i'm going to see a mortgage advisor to see if I can buy somehwere...I just can't get used to renting. If the answer is positive, then a new adventure will be starting for me.
cars

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by cars »

Bez;454339 wrote: I'm hoping that a better future lies ahead for me....I have no regrets about the past, but I am a little sad sometimes that things didn't turn out like I thought they would when I was a teenager....rose coloured specs and all that :D

Tomorrow i'm going to see a mortgage advisor to see if I can buy somehwere...I just can't get used to renting. If the answer is positive, then a new adventure will be starting for me.

Well wishes for getting that mortgage, and "sliding" into a great house! :)
cars

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by cars »

chonsigirl;454336 wrote: Time flies as we get older, but I still feel as young inside as I was at 16. Isn't that what matters most, how you feel inside?

I am 52, so I guess I do not worry much about going one day soon. I'll go when it is my time. And enjoy life until then.

Right chonsi, my MIL is pushing "90", but she "thinks" young, and sees other old people as the old ones! Good on her! :) I know what you mean about feeling young "inside", as I don't recognize that old man I see staring at me in the mirror!:wah:
weeder

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by weeder »

Excellent topic Cars. Time is flying by for me also. The days seem shorter and shorter. I get up every day at 5am. At 7pm Im thinking " Is it too early to lay down? I used to accomplish a great deal after I put the kids to bed. But now, 8pm till 12pm are not productive. Im sleeping. I cant believe the way I say now.." Well lets see, I was in Georgia for two years, Ive been back in Virginia for a year..... Its all very dreamlike. The years are flipping by like months.
[FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][/FONT]
cars

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by cars »

mrsK;454558 wrote: I know the feeling Cars.

I notice I don't have enough time todo as much as I want,this year has flown by & I still have things that haven't been finished.

I still feel like I am about 18 & want to do all the things I did when Iwas 18 but it just doesn't happen.

I am in my early 50's so I am guessing I am going to try & make the best of the next 20 at least:-6

The last 10 I will rest a bit:wah:

Yes I can remember when I was in my 30's, & there were so many things I wanted to do, but somehow it seemed to be thought that I still had time to do them in my 40's. Some things that I wanted to do were done, but then some things seemed to slip into the 50's. Time really does fly bye so fast, that many of the 50's stuff sort of didn't happen. Now in my 60's, I'm smarter (I'll use that word) than I was in my 30's & 40's and wouldn't consider doing the things I considered then. (Like Snow Sking, Sky diving, Bungee jumping, to name a few) But I did get to go Jet sking, Water Sking, Motor Cycling, & some other things like that. So now at this age, I wouldn't try Snow Sking, Sky Diving or bungee Jumping. Oh well! :rolleyes:

So make that list & just do it now!!! :)
Bez

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by Bez »

cars;454353 wrote: Well wishes for getting that mortgage, and "sliding" into a great house! :)

Yeahhhh...I CAN get a mortgage with monthly repayments half of my current rent payments....so I'm going for it....just got to find the right property.
Nomad

Time is Slipping Away!

Post by Nomad »

All in all its a pretty nice journey though aint it ? The thing about time is you can always stop it just long enough to take a good look around and breathe it in. Moments. :)
I AM AWESOME MAN

Return to “Welcome To My Day!”