Dodgy cursor?

Bruv

Dodgy cursor?

Post by Bruv »

I am having problems with my mouse and cursor.

Right click is hair trigger at the best of times.

I have asked for help on the appropriate forum, but no joy so far.

The problem?

At random times my cursor just freezes, and only a reboot solves it.

It an happen 2 or 3 or more times in quick succession then not happen all day.

I have tested it by running a live disc of various discriptions and it doesn't seem to happen on any other than the installed OS which is Xubuntu 12.04.

My theory was that the machine might be overheating, a laptop on my knees covering the ventilation holes, it seemed obvious, but I am using Linux Mint 16 live disc to post this and have noticed no problems after a long session.

I reckon it's Xubuntu although it has been ok until fairly recently, it does get update downloads regularly and was hoping it would sort its self out........any clues....advice?
I thought I knew more than this until I opened my mouth
Snowfire

Dodgy cursor?

Post by Snowfire »

I've had a similar problem in the past. It hasn't happened for a few months but additionally I got a debug notice pop up. Often my cursor would freeze completely but on one or two occasions I was quick enough to cancel it.

It was a mystery to me what was going on
"He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire."

Winston Churchill
Bryn Mawr

Dodgy cursor?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

No problems here on Ubuntu 14.04
Bruv

Dodgy cursor?

Post by Bruv »

Came on here this morning, neded to reboot after a few minutes after cursor froze.

@Snowfire dont think I have a bug as such, I might have a buggy installation, as in a problem might have arose during install, and I was becoming comfortable with this distribution.

@Bryn I don't like the clunky left side taskbar, but if this doesn't get sorted soon I might have to try something else.
Bryn Mawr

Dodgy cursor?

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Bruv;1456484 wrote: Came on here this morning, neded to reboot after a few minutes after cursor froze.

@Snowfire dont think I have a bug as such, I might have a buggy installation, as in a problem might have arose during install, and I was becoming comfortable with this distribution.

@Bryn I don't like the clunky left side taskbar, but if this doesn't get sorted soon I might have to try something else.

Neither did I so I run gnome-panel and have the old interface back
Bruv

Dodgy cursor?

Post by Bruv »

Bryn Mawr;1456493 wrote: Neither did I so I run gnome-panel and have the old interface back

Right then that's my next task
Wandrin

Dodgy cursor?

Post by Wandrin »

I know this will sound stupid, but have you checked your mouse driver and mouse? I know that when my mouse battery starts to get a little low I get flakey results for awhile, yet a reboot makes it appear that the problem is fixed (temporarily).
Bruv

Dodgy cursor?

Post by Bruv »

Wandrin;1456499 wrote: I know this will sound stupid, but have you checked your mouse driver and mouse? I know that when my mouse battery starts to get a little low I get flakey results for awhile, yet a reboot makes it appear that the problem is fixed (temporarily).

No battery so no problem there.

Don't know much about the driver to be honest, it just finds the correct driver when you install the system.

The same mouse works well on a Windows PC and is OK when I run a live disc on this laptop.

Problem is I am not clever enough to know why, but I have a feeling it's a fault with this installation, could be anything that affected it, or when I upgraded it not long ago.

But thanks for the suggestions
Bruv

Dodgy cursor?

Post by Bruv »

Wandrin;1456499 wrote: I know this will sound stupid, but have you checked your mouse driver and mouse? I know that when my mouse battery starts to get a little low I get flakey results for awhile, yet a reboot makes it appear that the problem is fixed (temporarily).

Now then...........I have tested several live discs just to replicate the problem and they all worked alright.

Booting up this morning the PC froze several times in quick succession.

I looked to find what Bryn spoke about, downloaded it and decided to go for a new installation of Ubuntu with gnome panel.

Half into the installation the cursor froze, I carried on using the pad.

When I started up the new installation.........it froze.

So I dug out the old DVD and reinstalled the previous flavour Xubuntu, found an old mouse to use with it.

So it is possible you were right, I was wrong, unless this other mouse starts to play up.......now I have to re-install all the email and other stuff I lost.

Me...... Im not happy right now
FourPart

Dodgy cursor?

Post by FourPart »

I don't know anything about Xubuntu, but I know that with Windows it's simple enough - just go to Control Panel > Mouse & adjust the sensitivity settings. Maybe Xubuntu has a similar setup?
Bruv

Dodgy cursor?

Post by Bruv »

FourPart;1456664 wrote: I don't know anything about Xubuntu, but I know that with Windows it's simple enough - just go to Control Panel > Mouse & adjust the sensitivity settings. Maybe Xubuntu has a similar setup?

Same in Xubuntu, the mouse was faulty somehow, I have changed the mouse, no more problem as yet.
FourPart

Dodgy cursor?

Post by FourPart »

I prefer to use a Trackball. However, a few months back the cable on my last one eventually gave up the ghost & I had to go hunting online to find a replacement. However, the cabled model I wanted, which was the same as the one that had served me so well was no longer in production & had given way to a new USB wireless model, so I got that one instead. The thing was, though, that as soon as I plugged it in the slightest touch would send the cursor whizzing across to the other side of the screen. It was so sensitive that I had trouble controlling it enough to get to the mouse sensitivity adjustment panel. Once set though, it's going great guns.

I wanted to put the Wireless USB receiver into one of the sockets at the back, as it's a permanent fixture now, but the problem is that the metal from the PC casing shields the signal, so I have to use one of the front ports.

Return to “Computers Internet”