Gambling!

Discuss all types of sports.
john8pies

Gambling!

Post by john8pies »

Don`t get alarmed! I`m not a bookie or a betting addict! (Once a year on the Grand National and the Derby) I just wondered what anybody`s biggest gambling win was and in what circumstances.

I was working in London way back in 1974-ish and our section supervisor recommended a horse called Morston. I think it was a 25-1 outsider or something and we all laughed at him (but put a couple of bob on to cover ourselves of course!) We listened on an old radio at work in the afternoon and didn`t hear the horse even mentioned at all until the closing seconds when the radio announcer said, to rapturous cheers from the employees in my office, `and Morston comes through at the end to win it!` We couldn`t believe it as we`d all had small bets on it!

Curiously we later found out that the Sun newspaper had `accidentally`printed the name of that horse, and only that horse, in block letters, which hardened gamblers had taken to be a coded message and got a bet on it too. We were just pleased to win a few quid in the most unlikely of circumstances! :D
devist8me

Gambling!

Post by devist8me »

My wins were not "big" by any means but I was pretty excited anyway. At slots, $125 on one machine and $75 on another, same day in Vegas. On my honeymoon in Tunica, I won $250 on a Wheel of Fortune slot. I usually do horrible at slots and don't play them as much.

I've been to dog races twice and usually only break even.

I've had my ups and downs in the poker room. I came out $200 ahead one time, but usually break even anymore. I need a winning streak!
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
Peg

Gambling!

Post by Peg »

I've seen people pump $300-$600 in an instant money game, and actually think they are "winning" when they hit $150. Just my opinion, but if you are behind, it's not winning. LOL
devist8me

Gambling!

Post by devist8me »

Your so right Peg. My Mother-in-law used to go play slots every Sunday. She would pump $400-$500 in a day and not win a thing. Then she would win a $1500 slot or something and think she really accomplished something. Luckily, she doesn't do that anymore.
I probably posted that in an ambien trance-soryy
Bothwell

Gambling!

Post by Bothwell »

A Wales supporter had them at 40-1 this year to win the six nations rugby and sollected £40,000 for a £1,000 stake.
"I have done my duty. I thank God for it!"
BabyRider

Gambling!

Post by BabyRider »

I buy the instant scratch-off tickets once in a while, and the most I've won is $95. That was cool, but I used to gamble in pool. Made a lot of money doing that. At one point I was playing 40+ hours a week and making more than I did at my job. Lost my eye, though and can't really play like I used to.
[FONT=Arial Black]I hope you cherish this sweet way of life, and I hope you know that it comes with a price.
~Darrel Worley~
[/FONT]

Bullet's trial was a farce. Can I get an AMEN?????

We won't be punished for our sins, but BY them.

john8pies

Gambling!

Post by john8pies »

I remember some bloke putting a £1 accumulator bet on British Lions winning all 22 of their matches in a year or something some years ago. With one match to go, he had 21 winners out of 21 and stood to win something in excess of £1million. The bookies offered to `buy him off` for £100,000. He refused. The Lions drew their last match..........
twosteaks

Gambling!

Post by twosteaks »

About 7 yrs ago,the last time i was in England, i was outside a betting shop as my wife was doing something in another, and i popped in , did a £1.00 each way double on a couple of nags, which were running within the the next ten minutes and the both came in, i walked out with about £100. the wife was happy.....
twosteaks
Jives

Gambling!

Post by Jives »

I'm a Mathematician. I understand the laws of probability to a much greater extent than most people, so I don't usually gamble. But I did once win $190 at Blackjack on my Carribean cruise.

Just so everybody understands this....NEVER buy more than one lottery ticket and ALWAYS pick your own numbers.

$1.00 is worth it, your odds are now 1 in 720,000,000. If you don't buy a ticket you have no chance of winning, But if you buy another one, you only increased your odds to 2 in 720,000,000. That's literally almost the same fraction. You got ripped off for about $0.99 cents.

Buying more than one ticket does not increase yor odds of winning by any appreciable margin.

(sigh) Now go ahead and call me liar. :(
All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players...Shakespeare
hotsauce

Gambling!

Post by hotsauce »

People who buy lotter tickets 6 of crazy eights and 9 of hot sevens and 3 of whirly twirly and 2 of monkey bucks and 4 of jackpot city DRIVE ME NUTS! Get OUT of the WAY!!!!
spot

Gambling!

Post by spot »

Hotsauce, I not only don't know the words, I didn't know words like that could be strung together.

Would it be legal to have a lottery in which the exchange at the checkout involved: "I wish to gamble fifty dollars, please - here's the fifty" - "Thank you ma'am, your fifty has won you seventeen dollars, here's your seventeen. Next, please".
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
greydeadhead

Gambling!

Post by greydeadhead »

well.... lets see.. was up close to $1500 on the blackjack tables one time.. left when I dropped back to an even $1000.. but that was a long session.. phew.. have hit a couple of $1000 video poker games.. and other assorted smaller wins.. lottery tickets.. scratch tickets.. that kinda thing

Just remember ..

if you are gonna gamble..

the house always has the upper hand..
Feed your spirit by living near it -- Magic Hat Brewery bottle cap

Return to “Wide World of Sports”