A little bit of Cricketing history...

Discuss all types of sports.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

England v South Africa: Moeen Ali hat-trick wraps up hosts' victory

Elgar and Rabada caught at 1st slip (Elgar making a fine 136), Morkel lbw.

Only the 4th time it's been done in Test history - and the first for 60 years.

Nice one Mo! :)

England v South Africa: Moeen Ali hat-trick wraps up hosts' victory - BBC Sport
The crowd: "Yes! We are all individuals!"

Lone voice: "I'm not."
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

Clodhopper;1511370 wrote: Elgar and Rabada caught at 1st slip (Elgar making a fine 136), Morkel lbw.

Only the 4th time it's been done in Test history - and the first for 60 years.

Nice one Mo! :)

England v South Africa: Moeen Ali hat-trick wraps up hosts' victory - BBC Sport

A good job we had a review left but brilliant bowling all the same.
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Here's. A bit of history for you. Our cricketers are unemployed. Not sure thats ever happen before

The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Bryn Mawr;1511371 wrote: A good job we had a review left but brilliant bowling all the same.

He WAS plumb. It was a bad miss from the Umpire.

Our cricketers are unemployed. Not sure thats ever happen before

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that in all the mess up here. :( Hope you can sort it.

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

I've attempted to understand Cricket a few times.
The home of the soul is the Open Road.
- DH Lawrence
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Oops...

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

LarsMac;1511440 wrote: I've attempted to understand Cricket a few times.

Chuckle. We had a tea towel with this printed on it when I was a kid:

You have two sides, one out in the field and one in.

Each man that's in the side that's in goes out, and when he's out he comes in and the next man goes in until he's out.

When they are all out, the side that's out comes in and the side that's been in goes out and tries to get those coming in, out. Sometimes you get men still in and not out.

When both sides have been in and all the men have been out, including those who are not out, that is the end of the game!

In reality, I reckon the only way to understand cricket is to watch with someone who does understand it and can explain.

Best I can do is to say that it and baseball are cousins with baseball seeming very streamlined by comparison. Catching to dismiss batters is common to both games, as is hitting a ball with a club. If in baseball you imagine 3 sticks (called stumps) behind the man receiving the ball, at which the pitcher is generally aiming because if he hits them the man trying to hit the ball is out, you've pretty much got cricket. I suppose the other big difference is that our pitchers bounce the ball before it reaches the batter which adds a lot of variables.

edit: And in baseball you score by running round, in cricket by running up and down; in both by hitting it out of the playing area. In both the batter can be got out if the guy in the field retrieves the ball before it goes out of the playing area and throws it back to the guy guarding the base (or in cricket, the stumps) before the batter gets there.

edit edit: A lot of the other differences come from the different nature of the balls used. A baseball has a seam like a tennis ball and has a little give; a cricket ball has a raised stitched seam that divides the ball into two halves and is like a rock (at the start of the game, anyway). Makes a big difference (especially when you bounce a cricket ball). But we're well into technicalities at that point, and I think I've covered the main things.

edit edit edit: And just to make it worse, there are now 3 versions of cricket, all played internationally. Best thought of in athletics terms: short version, 100m sprint (wham bam thank you ma'am), medium version 5,000m (slow build up to a sprint) and marathon (the real killer which is a Test match).

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Clodhopper;1511444 wrote: Chuckle. We had a tea towel with this printed on it when I was a kid:

In reality, I reckon the only way to understand cricket is to watch with someone who does understand it and can explain.

Best I can do is to say that it and baseball are cousins with baseball seeming very streamlined by comparison. Catching to dismiss batters is common to both games, as is hitting a ball with a club. If in baseball you imagine 3 sticks (called stumps) behind the man receiving the ball, at which the pitcher is generally aiming because if he hits them the man trying to hit the ball is out, you've pretty much got cricket. I suppose the other big difference is that our pitchers bounce the ball before it reaches the batter which adds a lot of variables.

edit: And in baseball you score by running round, in cricket by running up and down; in both by hitting it out of the playing area. In both the batter can be got out if the guy in the field retrieves the ball before it goes out of the playing area and throws it back to the guy guarding the base (or in cricket, the stumps) before the batter gets there.

edit edit: A lot of the other differences come from the different nature of the balls used. A baseball has a seam like a tennis ball and has a little give; a cricket ball has a raised stitched seam that divides the ball into two halves and is like a rock (at the start of the game, anyway). Makes a big difference (especially when you bounce a cricket ball). But we're well into technicalities at that point, and I think I've covered the main things.

edit edit edit: And just to make it worse, there are now 3 versions of cricket, all played internationally. Best thought of in athletics terms: short version, 100m sprint (wham bam thank you ma'am), medium version 5,000m (slow build up to a sprint) and marathon (the real killer which is a Test match).

Thanks. That makes it much more clear.

I think
- DH Lawrence
spot

Post by spot »

I can't see the connection with baseball myself. I tried an article yesterday because I was inquisitive but I understood none of it, the entire thing seemed written in a jargon designed to keep me uninformed.

Book excerpt: 'Willie Mays: The Life, The Legend'

The very first line is impenetrable - The Indians went down in order in the seventh. What?

Then there's Two on, nobody out, and Vic Wertz was the batter. I coped with "the batter".

His three hits, all smoked, had come off a high fastball, a slider down and away, and an outside fastball. There seems to be an implication that three hits has relevance within the rules, as has smoking in some form.

The bits about catching the ball and returning it are cricket-like.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

spot;1511471 wrote: I can't see the connection with baseball myself. I tried an article yesterday because I was inquisitive but I understood none of it, the entire thing seemed written in a jargon designed to keep me uninformed.

Book excerpt: 'Willie Mays: The Life, The Legend'

The very first line is impenetrable - The Indians went down in order in the seventh. What?

Then there's Two on, nobody out, and Vic Wertz was the batter. I coped with "the batter".

His three hits, all smoked, had come off a high fastball, a slider down and away, and an outside fastball. There seems to be an implication that three hits has relevance within the rules, as has smoking in some form.

The bits about catching the ball and returning it are cricket-like.

I can guess at some of it: the 7th is the Innings? baseball seems to have lots, cricket have 4 at most...

2 on - that must be their bases, Wertz was the bloke facing the pitcher - baseball run outs seem a much bigger part of the game than in cricket. Not sure about nobody out. Could be field position, could be the batting side has lost no-one yet...

3 hits - a hit seems to be a much rarer than a run in cricket. So his 3 is a big deal. All smoked I'm guessing means he really belted them and and they were all very different types of delivery from the pitcher, showing Mays' versatility as a batter. To be fair, my OP is going to be pretty impenetrable to the non cricketer. ( watched a bit of baseball on ESPN last night having read Lars' comment, just to see. Perhaps that helped.)

The bit in baseball I'm unclear on is the 3 places the pitchers run to - with the place the batter stands it's a diamond shape. If the batter hits it far enough he (or she?) can run all the way round he scores a run. If he only gets to first or second base it doesn't count to the score but my impression is that if he makes it all the way round when the next guy is hits the ball and runs, he gets a chance to bat again - so baseball could have a LOT of innings if people get round without scoring(?). Equally, when there's 2 or 3 batters out there part way round the diamond (I'm guessing that's what "loaded bases" means?) the fielders could dismiss 3 guys in one go if say the fielder guarding the last base is thrown the ball the ball before the batter running to it got there. (Like cricket's Run Out, but you get all the blokes queued up trying to get round, not just one)

chuckle. How'd I do?

spot

Post by spot »

Can they overtake the one in front? or do they have to chug round in formation like the carriages of a railway train. Are they allowed runners.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

spot;1511481 wrote: Can they overtake the one in front? or do they have to chug round in formation like the carriages of a railway train. Are they allowed runners.

I've no idea about runners for injured batters. But they can't overtake or cross. I think it's called jaywalking.

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Clodhopper;1511476 wrote: I can guess at some of it: the 7th is the Innings? baseball seems to have lots, cricket have 4 at most...

2 on - that must be their bases, Wertz was the bloke facing the pitcher - baseball run outs seem a much bigger part of the game than in cricket. Not sure about nobody out. Could be field position, could be the batting side has lost no-one yet...

3 hits - a hit seems to be a much rarer than a run in cricket. So his 3 is a big deal. All smoked I'm guessing means he really belted them and and they were all very different types of delivery from the pitcher, showing Mays' versatility as a batter. To be fair, my OP is going to be pretty impenetrable to the non cricketer. ( watched a bit of baseball on ESPN last night having read Lars' comment, just to see. Perhaps that helped.)

The bit in baseball I'm unclear on is the 3 places the pitchers run to - with the place the batter stands it's a diamond shape. If the batter hits it far enough he (or she?) can run all the way round he scores a run. If he only gets to first or second base it doesn't count to the score but my impression is that if he makes it all the way round when the next guy is hits the ball and runs, he gets a chance to bat again - so baseball could have a LOT of innings if people get round without scoring(?). Equally, when there's 2 or 3 batters out there part way round the diamond (I'm guessing that's what "loaded bases" means?) the fielders could dismiss 3 guys in one go if say the fielder guarding the last base is thrown the ball the ball before the batter running to it got there. (Like cricket's Run Out, but you get all the blokes queued up trying to get round, not just one)

chuckle. How'd I do?

So, Baseball - The batter stands at home plate. The pitcher is out in the middle on the mound. Pitcher attempts to throw over home plate, but in a fashion that makes it difficult for the batter to hit.

When the batter connects, and hits the ball within the field of play, he then becomes the Runner, running madly for the First Base. If his ball stays within the field of play, laterally, and hits the ground before being retrieved by one of the pitcher's teammates, he must tag that first base, before the retrieving team can get the ball to the First Baseman, who must then tag First base. If the ball remains in play, but not in control, the Runner may attempt to continue to second, and if possible, even to Third. All kinds of things can happen while runner is between bases. Once the fielding team has control of the ball, a wise runner stops at a base and remains in contact with it. If the ball goes out of the field down range, he has scored a home run, and can safely run about tagging all the bases, sequentially, until he arrives at Home Plate, again. Any other runners who were on a base when he hit the home run can also advance ahead of him until all runners have tagged Home.

That is pretty much the basics of Baseball. If the Pitcher can prevent a batter from hitting three pitches that are officially over the home plate, that batter is out, and another one tries to hit the ball. if the pitcher can keep three batter from hitting his pitches, that is three outs, and it's like Cricket. Everybody out comes in, and everybody in goes out.

Now, if his pitch fails to arrive over the plate (in the judgement of the umpire) and the batter did not chose to swing, that is called a ball. four of those, and the batter gets to walk to First Base and tag it, and remain safely there while another batter steps up.
- DH Lawrence
LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

spot;1511481 wrote: Can they overtake the one in front? or do they have to chug round in formation like the carriages of a railway train. Are they allowed runners.

Nope. they must stay in order.
- DH Lawrence
Bryn Mawr

Post by Bryn Mawr »

LarsMac;1511536 wrote: So, Baseball - The batter stands at home plate. The pitcher is out in the middle on the mound. Pitcher attempts to throw over home plate, but in a fashion that makes it difficult for the batter to hit.

When the batter connects, and hits the ball within the field of play, he then becomes the Runner, running madly for the First Base. If his ball stays within the field of play, laterally, and hits the ground before being retrieved by one of the pitcher's teammates, he must tag that first base, before the retrieving team can get the ball to the First Baseman, who must then tag First base. If the ball remains in play, but not in control, the Runner may attempt to continue to second, and if possible, even to Third. All kinds of things can happen while runner is between bases. Once the fielding team has control of the ball, a wise runner stops at a base and remains in contact with it. If the ball goes out of the field down range, he has scored a home run, and can safely run about tagging all the bases, sequentially, until he arrives at Home Plate, again. Any other runners who were on a base when he hit the home run can also advance ahead of him until all runners have tagged Home.

That is pretty much the basics of Baseball. If the Pitcher can prevent a batter from hitting three pitches that are officially over the home plate, that batter is out, and another one tries to hit the ball. if the pitcher can keep three batter from hitting his pitches, that is three outs, and it's like Cricket. Everybody out comes in, and everybody in goes out.

Now, if his pitch fails to arrive over the plate (in the judgement of the umpire) and the batter did not chose to swing, that is called a ball. four of those, and the batter gets to walk to First Base and tag it, and remain safely there while another batter steps up.

I think we call it rounders in this country :-)
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

I feel extremely blessed that i understand and have participated in both ball games. Both diatribes make perfect sence ti me. They are cpmpletely different games though with absolutely no resemblance apart from a ball and bat. Its not like knowing the rules of field hockey and understanding soccer (and vise versa)
The 'radical' left just wants everyone to have food, shelter, healthcare, education and a living wage. Man that's radical!....ooooohhhh Scary!
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Bryn Mawr;1511540 wrote: I think we call it rounders in this country :-)

I loved rounders in primary school! Try finding a rounders bat in a sports shop these days. Almost impossible
Saint_

Post by Saint_ »

Baseball, more fun and exciting than Cricket. NFL football, more violent and fun than soccer. Is there any sport we haven't improved from your version?:wah:
Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

Well, Rugby Union is our equivalent of NFL. (Soccer is just football: same game, alternative name) You should watch it. I know quite a few people who are keen on both. The compare and contrasts are interesting and as a Rugby supporter it's easy enough to follow NFL even if I don't appreciate the finer points. Perhaps the biggest difference between Rugby Union and NFL is that in Rugby Union conning the ref - cheating - is allowed and even regarded as a skill (though there are limits).

Here's a bit of Rugby class, if you can click the link: The commentators are one neutral Aussie and the other is a supporter of the team playing in black (New Zealand).

Haven't really seen baseball but grew up with cricket since my parents were both mad keen, coaches and ex-players...I've little natural talent for it myself but know a heck of a lot by absorption (and am also a qualified coach - the bloke who taught me to coach is now one of the England coaches!). I'd be interested to go to live games of both NFL and Baseball.

Clodhopper

Post by Clodhopper »

LarsMac;1511536 wrote: So, Baseball - The batter stands at home plate. The pitcher is out in the middle on the mound. Pitcher attempts to throw over home plate, but in a fashion that makes it difficult for the batter to hit.

Ok, that's plain enough. How do you score though? Does each batter who gets all the way round score a run, or do you have to get round all three bases in one go to score? You don't get anything more for hitting out of the playing area?

LarsMac

Post by LarsMac »

Clodhopper;1511601 wrote: Well, Rugby Union is our equivalent of NFL. (Soccer is just football: same game, alternative name) You should watch it. I know quite a few people who are keen on both. The compare and contrasts are interesting and as a Rugby supporter it's easy enough to follow NFL even if I don't appreciate the finer points. Perhaps the biggest difference between Rugby Union and NFL is that in Rugby Union conning the ref - cheating - is allowed and even regarded as a skill (though there are limits).

Here's a bit of Rugby class, if you can click the link: The commentators are one neutral Aussie and the other is a supporter of the team playing in black (New Zealand).

Haven't really seen baseball but grew up with cricket since my parents were both mad keen, coaches and ex-players...I've little natural talent for it myself but know a heck of a lot by absorption (and am also a qualified coach - the bloke who taught me to coach is now one of the England coaches!). I'd be interested to go to live games of both NFL and Baseball.

I got to play a bit of Soccer as a kid in school. Not real popular in the South. But while in the Navy, I got to play a bit when a Brit or Aussie ship pulled in to port.

I was never much good at American Football. Rugby was more fun.
- DH Lawrence
magentaflame

Post by magentaflame »

Prefer league over union. But i prefer aussie rules over rugby.

Was funny earlier this year. An AFL player tried on the "omg im injured, call an ambulance" and in unison the commentators said...." whats he think hes playing? Soccer?" Lol

Return to “Wide World of Sports”