What Makes ME Drink?

Escape the rat race and slip on into Pub Nutters Inn.
The Rob
Posts: 820
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:17 pm

What Makes ME Drink?

Post by The Rob »

A nice whisky*, o'course.

A friend has just returned from a visit to family in England (Broadstairs) and she has brought me a bottle of Bell's Special Reserve Pure Malt scotch. Always wanted to try Bell's but it isn't available here. It's very good although it wouldn't take me away from my favorite blend (Teacher's Highland Cream).

Anyone have a favorite they would care to share here?

*Or whiskey; we Yanks turn out some good stuff of our own, y'all. :D

[EDIT]: And now I'm called to dinner. Dang it. Carry on without me, I'll catch up. [/EDIT]
User avatar
Chookie
Posts: 1826
Joined: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:55 am

What Makes ME Drink?

Post by Chookie »

I, Rob;689169 wrote: ....whiskey; we Yanks turn out some good stuff of our own, y'all.


Na ye dinnae.

As even the Irish versions are looked upon as horse liniment, you lot have no chance of producing a decent libation.



Having said that, do you prefer Speyside or Island malts?

Myself is preferring Island malts such as Laphroaig, Talisker and Bunnahavain, although i like the occasional Glenlivet or MacAllan.

The only blends I would consider drinkable are Old Black Bottle and Vat 69.
An ye harm none, do what ye will....
The Rob
Posts: 820
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:17 pm

What Makes ME Drink?

Post by The Rob »

Chookie;689176 wrote:

As even the Irish versions are looked upon as horse liniment, you lot have no chance of producing a decent libation.


:wah:



Chookie;689176 wrote: Having said that, do you prefer Speyside or Island malts?

Myself is preferring Island malts such as Laphroaig, Talisker and Bunnahavain, although i like the occasional Glenlivet or MacAllan.


When speaking of single malts, the best I've had yet is The Glenlivet 12 Year Old. My palate is not yet learn-ed enough to speak intelligently about single malts as a whole (but I sampled an Isle of Jura expression that was gawd-awful and a glass of Bowmore Legend after which I expected to find a strand of seaweed in my teeth. I have much to learn, but the homework is rather fun *hic!*)

Chookie;689176 wrote: The only blends I would consider drinkable are Old Black Bottle and Vat 69.


I'll have to try these, thanks. :-6
User avatar
Kathy Ellen
Posts: 10569
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:04 pm

What Makes ME Drink?

Post by Kathy Ellen »

Jameson's Irish Whiskey, of course:-6

The Rob
Posts: 820
Joined: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:17 pm

What Makes ME Drink?

Post by The Rob »

Kathy Ellen;689423 wrote: Jameson's Irish Whiskey, of course:-6




I quite like Jameson's myself! [EDIT] No ice, please. [/EDIT]
User avatar
Kathy Ellen
Posts: 10569
Joined: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:04 pm

What Makes ME Drink?

Post by Kathy Ellen »

I, Rob;689429 wrote: I quite like Jameson's myself! [EDIT] No ice, please. [/EDIT]


Me too. It was my first drink of hard liquor in Ireland when I was 19. I also love Paddy's Irish Whiskey although it's not a favorite of many people or the best whiskey. But, it is mild and warming. You can't buy it in the States so I bring some home from my trips.
Okie
Posts: 1281
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:28 pm

What Makes ME Drink?

Post by Okie »

Kathy Ellen;689437 wrote: Me too. It was my first drink of hard liquor in Ireland when I was 19. I also love Paddy's Irish Whiskey although it's not a favorite of many people or the best whiskey. But, it is mild and warming. You can't buy it in the States so I bring some home from my trips.


I had my first drink of store bought whiskey much younger than 19. I was at a friends uncle and aunts house. We all were getting set to go to a dance. I drank coke and whiskey there and at the dance. and the ladies all smelled so nice and I was half lit. I think I was lucky not to get tossed out or worse. In fact one of his uncles did get tossed down the stairs for letting his hands wander.

PS, very soon is Pams birthday

Return to “Pub Nutters Inn”