Sony Play Station 2

Bez

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Bez »

I am seriously thinking about buying a PS2. The range of games and activities are good and my grown up kids and my grandchildren use them so I can borrow the games (and save money).

Anyone else got one of these ?
A smile is a window on your face to show your heart is home
theia

Sony Play Station 2

Post by theia »

Bez;507937 wrote: I am seriously thinking about buying a PS2. The range of games and activities are good and my grown up kids and my grandchildren use them so I can borrow the games (and save money).

Yes, Bez...I bought my son-in-law's a couple of years ago. I haven't played it much recently but I enjoy it when I do. Mind you, it's addictive, so I hope it won't keep you away from here!
Live the questions now. Perhaps you will then gradually, without noticing it, live along some distant day into the answers...Rainer Maria Rilke
Bez

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Bez »

theia;507938 wrote: Yes, Bez...I bought my son-in-law's a couple of years ago. I haven't played it much recently but I enjoy it when I do. Mind you, it's addictive, so I hope it won't keep you away from here!

WEll if you've got one Theia, then I think I'll go ahead.

I think it may be good to keep the od brain cells active...:D
buttercup

Sony Play Station 2

Post by buttercup »

Its also a dvd player ;)
Tater Tazz

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Tater Tazz »

I have had one since they first came out. It is fun when you play it, do not play it much anymore. you also can play dvd's in it.
chonsigirl

Sony Play Station 2

Post by chonsigirl »

My son has one and plays it all the time.
Shweet tatersalad

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Shweet tatersalad »

It's a good mid range affordable system,and you can play PS games on it too.

I used too play silent hill alto,This is a very cool role playing game.

New game are still in good price range.
LilacDragon

Sony Play Station 2

Post by LilacDragon »

I have an 8 year old son so you bet I have one! He loves to play his games and it also plays DVD's and CD's.

I have been known to play some role playing games but, as mentioned above, they are very addicting!
Sandi

Fibonacci

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Fibonacci »

I've had one for a few years. I still play for about an hour a day. I like that you can hook it up to the internet and play against people from anywhere.
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
Bez

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Bez »

Well I bought the PS2 and 'Happy feet' ....as I am a complete novice and needed to start off with something simple to get used to the controls.......for 3 hours i had the best fun I've had for ages....can't use it tonight because there's a TV programme I have to watch.

Now I need you to reccomend some fun but easy games....non-violent, but challenging. :D
Fibonacci

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Fibonacci »

You could try "Dance Dance Revolution".

You can buy a special mat that lets you play it like the arcade version, or you can use the regular controls.

I dont own it but a friend of mine does. she has the mats and everything.

It's loads of fun!
The poolhall's a great equalizer. In the poolhall, nobody cares how old you are, how young you are, what color your skin is or how much money you've got in your pocket... It's about how you move. I remember this kid once who could move around a pool table like nobody had ever seen. Hour after hour, rack after rack, his shots just went in. The cue was part of his arm and the balls had eyes. And the thing that made him so good was... He thought he could never miss. I know, 'cause that kid was me.
spot

Sony Play Station 2

Post by spot »

Castle Wolfenstein
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
chrisb84uk

Sony Play Station 2

Post by chrisb84uk »

Oh the addictions of a PS2, if only you knew what you have gotten yourself into Bez hahaha. :p

Hmm can't think of any games to recommend at the moment, but having nearly owned half the catalogue, over the last few years, I can tell you that I can give you an honest review as to whether get a certain game or not! :D
LilacDragon

Sony Play Station 2

Post by LilacDragon »

The Spyro games are good as is Kingdom Hearts.

The Final Fantasy series is FABULOUS but there is fighting. Nothing gory - no blood and guts or anything like that. Just wonderful graphics! And it is VERY addicting!
Sandi

chrisb84uk

Sony Play Station 2

Post by chrisb84uk »

Yep and if you can get your hands on Final Fantasy 7 then you will be in for a treat, though that may be hard to find these days, but worth a search!!
LilacDragon

Sony Play Station 2

Post by LilacDragon »

chrisb84uk;510566 wrote: Yep and if you can get your hands on Final Fantasy 7 then you will be in for a treat, though that may be hard to find these days, but worth a search!!

Ummm - I think I have it. (But I probably haven't finished it. :rolleyes: )
Sandi

Wolverine

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Wolverine »

PS2s are good. but if you are seriously considering a game system, you should go with the new Xbox360 from microsoft.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

K.Snyder

Sony Play Station 2

Post by K.Snyder »

I have a ps2,..I never really play it much anymore...I occasionally rent sports games for it...

My nephews would play it 24/7 if they could stay up that long...:wah:

They can't get enough of GTA...

They recently bought Socom US Navy Seals for it...

But like everyone said, it plays DvD's, which as for the current market price for it, it is well worth it.
Delilah

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Delilah »

I have PS 2 and I love it. :)

I am Resident Evil 4 addicted, I think. :confused:
Fibonacci

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Fibonacci »

Wolverine;510590 wrote: PS2s are good. but if you are seriously considering a game system, you should go with the new Xbox360 from microsoft.

Gotta ask...

Why not the PS3?:confused:
K.Snyder

Sony Play Station 2

Post by K.Snyder »

Fibonacci;510820 wrote: Gotta ask...

Why not the PS3?:confused:

I looked up the Ps3 after my brother told me they were around $500 in disbelief, and low and behold a 20GB Ps3 is $499 and a 60GB Ps3 is $599...Unbelievable...

And to buy a game with it and the memory card always essential, plus tax you're looking at well over $600-$700 for it...

Lets just say, I won't be buying one of them anytime soon. :wah:
Bez

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Bez »

chrisb84uk;510529 wrote: Oh the addictions of a PS2, if only you knew what you have gotten yourself into Bez hahaha. :p

Hmm can't think of any games to recommend at the moment, but having nearly owned half the catalogue, over the last few years, I can tell you that I can give you an honest review as to whether get a certain game or not! :D

I was up until midnight last night Chris.....and this is a person who goes to bed around 10pm :-3

I'm off to buy some more games today. My local shop sells 'previously owned' games at bargain prices....is it too risky ??
Bez

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Bez »

K.Snyder;510848 wrote: I looked up the Ps3 after my brother told me they were around $500 in disbelief, and low and behold a 20GB Ps3 is $499 and a 60GB Ps3 is $599...Unbelievable...

And to buy a game with it and the memory card always essential, plus tax you're looking at well over $600-$700 for it...

Lets just say, I won't be buying one of them anytime soon. :wah:

It's really annoying that you have to wait a year or more before the prices drop. Look at Plasma etc TVs....you can get some real bargains now .
Bez

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Bez »

Fibonacci;509306 wrote: You could try "Dance Dance Revolution".

You can buy a special mat that lets you play it like the arcade version, or you can use the regular controls.

I dont own it but a friend of mine does. she has the mats and everything.

It's loads of fun!

My DIL has a dance mat...next thing to try I think !
K.Snyder

Sony Play Station 2

Post by K.Snyder »

Bez;511017 wrote: I was up until midnight last night Chris.....and this is a person who goes to bed around 10pm :-3

I'm off to buy some more games today. My local shop sells 'previously owned' games at bargain prices....is it too risky ??

Honestly, I don't believe the prices will drop that much after a year...

The most it will probably drop within a year would be $50, and that is still too much! :wah:

Although, if you guys have a good and reliable second time store(Where a store buys them used, and then sells them--don't know exactly the proper term for that) I'm sure the price would be at least bearable...

We have one here, that only buys used hardware and software that are in very good condition, and you can practically buy the same thing for alot less...obviously if you don't mind buying things that have already been used.
Bez

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Bez »

K.Snyder;511026 wrote: Honestly, I don't believe the prices will drop that much after a year...

The most it will probably drop within a year would be $50, and that is still too much! :wah:

Although, if you guys have a good and reliable second time store(Where a store buys them used, and then sells them--don't know exactly the proper term for that) I'm sure the price would be at least bearable...

We have one here, that only buys used hardware and software that are in very good condition, and you can practically buy the same thing for alot less...obviously if you don't mind buying things that have already been used.

Used to be plain old 'second hand' ....now they refer to them as 'Previously Owned' which I guess is technically correct but a tad PC.

Anyway, yes the shop I bought my PS2 from does sell secondhand stuff - consoles and games - I might try out some games which are 3 for £20 (about $38). Quite a saving on some of the games which are £29.99 ($58) EACH. :-3

Both my sons have PS2 games which i can borrow but their 'libraries' consist of age 18 & over games...I'm not at that stage yet.....stil on the kids stuff...:D
K.Snyder

Sony Play Station 2

Post by K.Snyder »

Bez;511240 wrote:

Both my sons have PS2 games which i can borrow but their 'libraries' consist of age 18 & over games...I'm not at that stage yet.....stil on the kids stuff...:D

:yh_bigsmi

It's not so much the controls as much as it is bludgeoning peoples heads in with that 18 and older stuff...
Bez

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Bez »

K.Snyder;511250 wrote: :yh_bigsmi

It's not so much the controls as much as it is bludgeoning peoples heads in with that 18 and older stuff...

Exactly....yuck....

Just came across this on 'Play.com'.......pricey or what ???? :eek:

PS3

our price: £549.99 Delivered

availability: Due for release on 07/03/2007

Special Features

All pre-orders will be fulfilled on a first come, first served basis and game titles in this package may be changed, subject to availability. One per customer.

CPU: Cell Processor

GPU: RSX

Sound: Dolby 5.1ch, DTS, LPCM, etc. (Cell-based processing)

Memory: 256MB XDR Main RAM, 256MB GDDR3 VRAM

HDD: 2.5" Serial ATA (60GB)

I/O: USB 2.0 (x4) - MemoryStick/SD/CompactFlash

Communication: Ethernet (x1 / 10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T) - IEEE 802.11 b/g - Bluetooth 2.0 (EDR)

Wireless controller (Bluetooth)

AV Output: Screen size 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p

HDMI OUT - (x1 / HDMI NextGen)

AV MULTI OUT (x1)

DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) (x1)

BD/DVD/CD Drive (Read Only): Maximum Read Speed BD 2x (BD-ROM), DVD 8x (DVD-ROM), CD 24x (CD-ROM)

Super Audio CD 2x

Dimensions: Approximately 325mm (W) x 98mm (H) x 274mm (D)

Weight: Approximately 5 kgReview

PS3 is the most advanced computer system that serves as a platform to enjoy next generation computer entertainment contents in the home, realized through the combination of Cell and RSX processors, in addition to the playability of a vast catalog of PlayStation and PlayStation 2 software titles.

Having Giga-bit Ethernet and a pre-installed hard disk drive (HDD) as standard in PS3, users will be able to download a variety of contents as well as access on-line games and services over the network.

Equipped with basic input/output ports, PS3 supports a broad range of displays from conventional NTSC/PAL standard TVs to the latest full HD (1080i/1080p) flat panel displays, offering the joy of the most advanced computer entertainment contents to homes around the world. For use in living rooms, maximum heat and noise reduction has been achieved with a noise level equivalent to that of the current slim-line PlayStation 2.

With the overwhelming computational power of the Cell processor, PS3 is capable of playing back content from Blu-ray (BD) disc at a bit rate of multiplex 48Mbps with ease, the maximum bit rate defined in BD standards.

The new controller for PS3 has been created by refining and improving the world's most popular PlayStation controller which has shipped more than several hundred million units worldwide. The controller for PS3 employs a high-precision, highly sensitive six-axis sensing system that is capable of processing all parameters within the controller itself, thereby eliminating the need for any additional settings on the display system. By applying this technology, it will become possible to freely control the PS3 system over the network.
Nomad

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Nomad »

Bez;507937 wrote: I am seriously thinking about buying a PS2. The range of games and activities are good and my grown up kids and my grandchildren use them so I can borrow the games (and save money).

I have an X Box. I enjoy it from time to time. I wont pay 50 clams for a game though. Most stores sell used ones. I just picked up a golf b ball and baseball for under 20 bucks. They might be a year or two old but who cares ? Go for it.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Wolverine

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Wolverine »

Nomad;511819 wrote: I have an X Box. I enjoy it from time to time. I wont pay 50 clams for a game though. Most stores sell used ones. I just picked up a golf b ball and baseball for under 20 bucks. They might be a year or two old but who cares ? Go for it.

that new nintendo Wii is bad ass!!

name is stupid tho.

Get your mind out of the gutter - it's blocking my view

Mind like a steel trap - Rusty and Illegal in 37 states.

Nomad

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Nomad »

Wolverine;511828 wrote: that new nintendo Wii is bad ass!!

name is stupid tho.

I dont know. I dont want to fling myself around the room

I just want to sit there and stare :wah:
I AM AWESOME MAN
Bez

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Bez »

I know I'm a 'golden oldie' and I'm only playing kids games like Shrek2, Madagascar, Brave and Tak but I have to thank my PS2 for keeping me sane over the last few weeks and keeping me from smoking....yep it's really worked....£100 well spent.....very well spent
goodfriend

Sony Play Station 2

Post by goodfriend »

I have a psp
goodfriend

Sony Play Station 2

Post by goodfriend »

I have a psp.
chrisb84uk

Sony Play Station 2

Post by chrisb84uk »

I've never been a fan of the PSP, at least not yet. It has a LONG way to get to the DS standards, I mean it may have some more fancy extra's but the games are rubbish and that's what key!
ilona17

Sony Play Station 2

Post by ilona17 »

Yup I own one, Don't play it much anymore now tho.

It got boring, and I prefer to surf the net and play some nerd game:wah:

They are fun tho, so go for it ;)
[QUOTE]:DLive Everyday Like It's Your Last :-6[/QUOTE]
Peter Benders

Sony Play Station 2

Post by Peter Benders »

hey i want some suggestions..i have a pc that is **** for sure.. its old configuration and it does not play many new games .. i am thinking of upgrading it.. but what should i do?upgrade my pc or buy a new ps2?

Return to “Electronic Gadgets Galore”