GPS experience?

SouthAPT

GPS experience?

Post by SouthAPT »

With the prices dropping on the portable GPS devices I was considering getting one for my car. I don't have much experience with any devices other than the TomTom ONE. My friend has one and loves it. All the research I've done makes me want to stick with the TomTom brand apparently all their newer devices have new maps on them. Does anyone have any experience with any SatNavs?
gmc

GPS experience?

Post by gmc »

IMO unless you can read a map in the first place they are a waste of time. If you can't programme them properly you get good and lost lost and if your understanding of maps is poor in the first place you won't realise something is wrong. The rouite planning ones can take you some very stranhe short cuts. Unless you are doing lots of journeys to areas you don't know what's the point?

I have one for hillwalking but only use it in bad weather to check I am where I think i am or put in waypoints if I know I will be backtracking to that point. Having someone come up to you with a GPS on the hills and asking is that the path down over there makes it very tempting to make feeble attempts at wit.
Hugh Janus

GPS experience?

Post by Hugh Janus »

I used to have a device that guided my driving.

"turn left here. "Turn right there." All said in a strident female voice.

It also used to get me lost, very easily. It then blamed me for not turning when I should have... It proved to be expensive to maintain. Needed constant attention etc.

Eventually I got a divorce.

It's so nice to be able to drive without the nagging voice of my ex wife... :wah:
maccat

GPS experience?

Post by maccat »

I can pick up a cheap GPS for you for 50p, its called a compass
SouthAPT

GPS experience?

Post by SouthAPT »

It seems like most of you are against gps devices and prefer the old fashion maps (or compass). I understand maps are much less expensive but the satnavs today are pretty remarkable in what they can do. I know devices like the TomTom ONE have points of interest loaded on them and so you can find restaurants, golf course, gas stations etc. that are close to you and can also route you around traffic. Tough to do with just a map.

Pinky, do you remember which device you used?
Lon

GPS experience?

Post by Lon »

I have been using the "Garmin" system in my car for the past month. I am quite pleased with it and it is better system than I have seen in a couple of auto rentals that I had.
Carl44

GPS experience?

Post by Carl44 »

Hugh Janus;652443 wrote: I used to have a device that guided my driving.

"turn left here. "Turn right there." All said in a strident female voice.

It also used to get me lost, very easily. It then blamed me for not turning when I should have... It proved to be expensive to maintain. Needed constant attention etc.

Eventually I got a divorce.

It's so nice to be able to drive without the nagging voice of my ex wife... :wah:

fantastically funny :wah: :wah:
G-man

GPS experience?

Post by G-man »

The new GPS are quite exceptional, and they continue to get better. I'm not so familiar with the TomTom brand, personally... mine are mostly Garmin, brand. I use them all the time, too... for flying, driving and hiking.

Signature text removed at the request of a member.

Participate in The unOfficial Forum Garden Scavenger Hunt 2009!

guppy

GPS experience?

Post by guppy »

mine came in my auto..i love it..i learned it real quick..i like being able to strike out and find just about anything anywhere.....its so cool..i esp love it when it tells me to make a illegal u turn...muhahahahahhahaha
SouthAPT

GPS experience?

Post by SouthAPT »

Thanks for the replies everyone. After doing more research, I think I'm going to hold off on getting a device now and wait until the end of July before making any decisions. TomTom is coming out with a new device around then called the GO 720 which is suppose to be the next greatest thing for gps devices because you can actually fix map errors on your device. Seems like it may be worth the wait.

:driving:
sunny104

GPS experience?

Post by sunny104 »

I just use my psychic powers! :D
spot

GPS experience?

Post by spot »

sunny104;662582 wrote: I just use my psychic powers! :D

Now that, at last, comes close to the way I drive. So long as I can tell where the sun or moon is (or, at a pinch, a bright enough constellation) I just navigate by eye. I've occasionally considered putting a compass on the dashboard but I never got round to it. I've seen parts of the country I'd never have thought of driving to otherwise. I ended up on an airfield runway once at three in the morning and I never quite worked out how that happened. The children still speak of that in awed tones.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
Nomad

GPS experience?

Post by Nomad »

Id like to revisit this thread please. Thank you.

Im off to buy one this morning. The new pt gig is confusing me.

Go here...go there...what am I, a homing pigeon ?

No, Im not.

So everyone is throwing the brand Garmin around.

What can this unit do that a Tom Tom or Magellan cant do ?

Can these be multiple location routed so I get 100% effeciency, maximum minimum mileage in other words ?
I AM AWESOME MAN
spot

GPS experience?

Post by spot »

Go straight for approximately seven months avoiding all side-roads to Iranian Engagement.

At the presidential election turn sharp left toward Recovery.
Nullius in verba ... ☎||||||||||| ... To Fate I sue, of other means bereft, the only refuge for the wretched left.
When flower power came along I stood for Human Rights, marched around for peace and freedom, had some nooky every night - we took it serious.
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game! ... My other OS is Slackware.
CARLA

GPS experience?

Post by CARLA »

I don't know the "Girl Scout" in me says plan ahead people us Google Earth or Mapquest to know where the heck your going before you get in the car, or heading for the hills. I can travel anywhere as long as I know where the sun or moon is along with my trusty compass, try one they really work. :wah::wah:

On a side note we got "On Star" installed in my brother-in-laws car for the simple reason he can't find his way out of a driveway. We don't have to worry about him anymore "On Star" is on the job. ;)
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Nomad

GPS experience?

Post by Nomad »

Well I tried the job last night map questing and I did the job today with GPS.

Unvbelievable !

I didnt have to think at all. Which is fortunate.

Turn left, veer right, left in .3 miles.

Keeps track of my speed, what time Ill get there.

Its the brain I never had :-6

One other guy has one and they showed me the difference in $ hes making compared to the ones without.

The unit paid for itself today.
I AM AWESOME MAN
CARLA

GPS experience?

Post by CARLA »

There you go Nomie if it get your job done faster and you earn more money GPS all the way then. :driving:

[QUOTE]One other guy has one and they showed me the difference in $ hes making compared to the ones without.

The unit paid for itself today.[/QUOTE]
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

Return to “Electronic Gadgets Galore”