Converter Box Installation

along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

Next year in February, our whole TV broadcasting system will go digital. Well, we have the converter box, the TV, the outside antenna, but we also have the DirecTV satellite box. Our satellite system does not provide local TV channels here where we live. So....we are trying to get all four systems connected and working so we will be able to view our local channels as well as DirecTV.

This has been a mind-boggling task. We've tried connecting this to that, etc. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Time is running out!

:D
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
CARLA

Post by CARLA »

Get a new satellite company that provide you with Local TV viewing. That's insane I don't think you can attach the Converter box to the Dish box they don't like each other. Have you thought about Cable its cheaper these day and carries local channels. :confused:
ALOHA!!

MOTTO TO LIVE BY:

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, champagne in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming.

WOO HOO!!, what a ride!!!"

along-for-the-ride

I've been told that we probably need to upgrade our satellite box, for a cost of atleast $99, to be able to receive local channels on DirecTv. We have considered that option. But, I was hoping to be able to use what we have now.

Upgrades.............upgrades...............upgrades.......................!!:-5
along-for-the-ride

Eureka!

Hubby finally figured out the right connections. Got it now! We got clear local stations with no upgrades (other than the converter box). He said he wasn't going to let it "wup" him. :wah: Sometimes you just have to step back from a problem for awhile.

My thanks to Carla who did reply. :)
Odie

Post by Odie »

along-for-the-ride;1077561 wrote: Eureka!

Hubby finally figured out the right connections. Got it now! We got clear local stations with no upgrades (other than the converter box). He said he wasn't going to let it "wup" him. :wah: Sometimes you just have to step back from a problem for awhile.

stepping back proves its a good thing!:D
Life is just to short for drama.
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

along-for-the-ride;1077561 wrote: Sometimes you just have to step back from a problem for awhile.

Digital wiring, HDMI, optical cables, component cables...damned straight its confusing.
I AM AWESOME MAN
Amber Sun

Post by Amber Sun »

along-for-the-ride;1077561 wrote: Eureka!

Sorry hun, but there is no sense in replying if I don't know what the heck I'm talking about.

We already have that change over here but I opted out. I will lose all my TV stations so basically I won't have a tv to watch. Actually the whole thing somewhat confuses me. Why do they want everyone on the planet to be connected to that damn box? The USA gov't is even helping their people pay for it. It doesn't have anything to do with the satellite systems because that has all been working fine for years. Frankly the whole thing scares me. We know that many news reporters are 'gagged' when an event happens but news has managed to get out through other channels. But with that box all news and TV's connected to them can be monitored. The USA also wants all computers hooked up to one massive machine also, and they want all the info on who is using what comp and what sites they visit and what they say and do there. I don't have anything to hide but I find this whole thing very unsettling.

Anyway hun, that is prob why you didn't get many replies. Few would really knew how to help you.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

In the states the government offered vouchers to defray the cost of getting the box to hook them into the system. Despite 2 years of notification, many still have not made the change. Some providers are now extending the deadlines, but others are following the original cut off date. Nothing seems to be easy any more.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Amber Sun

Post by Amber Sun »

Kindle;1129490 wrote: In the states the government offered vouchers to defray the cost of getting the box to hook them into the system. Despite 2 years of notification, many still have not made the change. Some providers are now extending the deadlines, but others are following the original cut off date. Nothing seems to be easy any more.

I think Kindle that many people are asking the same questions I am and there are no solid answers forthcoming. They don't have a problem changing from one provider to another and no one had a problem hooking into satellite systems etc,. But when gov'ts say that they want everyone in nations such as the USA, Canada and Britain to have a little box that sits with the TV, people who have watched what these gov'ts are capable of start backing up. If someone could provide a decent answer then I am sure most people would comply.
Kindle

Post by Kindle »

Amber Sun;1129627 wrote: I think Kindle that many people are asking the same questions I am and there are no solid answers forthcoming. They don't have a problem changing from one provider to another and no one had a problem hooking into satellite systems etc,. But when gov'ts say that they want everyone in nations such as the USA, Canada and Britain to have a little box that sits with the TV, people who have watched what these gov'ts are capable of start backing up. If someone could provide a decent answer then I am sure most people would comply.

It is an upgrade. Companies cannot upgrade and still provide previous systems. It is out with the old and in with the new. Can't stop progress.

I had to get a new cell phone last year too for the same reason. I wasn't happy about it cause it cost me money. They didn't offer vouchers for the upgrading of this.

"Out, damned spot! out, I say!"

- William Shakespeare, Macbeth, 5.1
Amber Sun

Post by Amber Sun »

Kindle;1129736 wrote: It is an upgrade. Companies cannot upgrade and still provide previous systems. It is out with the old and in with the new. Can't stop progress.

I had to get a new cell phone last year too for the same reason. I wasn't happy about it cause it cost me money. They didn't offer vouchers for the upgrading of this.

Same thing happened here with the cell phones. But this wasn't a prob for me because I don't like cell phones anyway. My daughter has it now.

Return to “Electronic Gadgets Galore”