Anyone tell me what the Sony DCR-SR32E is like please?

Aura
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:23 am

Anyone tell me what the Sony DCR-SR32E is like please?

Post by Aura »

I have been offered one and I would like to know what people's experinces are of it, and if I should buy it? Also will I be able to upload to U-Tube and edit it on movie maker first?

I am getting from cash converters, or am I better off getting it from Amazon? Many thanks.

:confused:
User avatar
spot
Posts: 39035
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:19 pm
Location: Brigstowe

Anyone tell me what the Sony DCR-SR32E is like please?

Post by spot »

It's a bit of a needle in a haystack I'd have thought, finding someone who's used that exact model on a single forum. Why did you choose it? Did Google turn up any unbiased user reviews?
Nullius in verba|||||||||||
Who has a spare two minutes to play in this month's FG Trivia game!
Richard Bell
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:56 am

Anyone tell me what the Sony DCR-SR32E is like please?

Post by Richard Bell »

Aura;1284993 wrote: I have been offered one and I would like to know what people's experinces are of it, and if I should buy it? Also will I be able to upload to U-Tube and edit it on movie maker first?

I am getting from cash converters, or am I better off getting it from Amazon? Many thanks.

:confused:


Our store has sold very similar models .The DCR-SR32E seems to be a UK model, not sold in Canada, but I can tell you that we have had very good results and happy customers with the Sony HDD line.

It's a digital camera, so editing and uploading to Youtube shouldn't be a problem.

The Sony UK site mentioned it's not a current model, so you should be able to buy it at a significant discount.
Aura
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:23 am

Anyone tell me what the Sony DCR-SR32E is like please?

Post by Aura »

Hi thanks for that, so I could put my films onto U-Tube if I wanted to? Cash converters are selling it to me at £122 pounds. I have looked at the one's on Amazon but they are expensive. It's not a current model, there is an upgraded version out. Do you think this will do as a first handycam?

I have never owned one before, so it should be interesting to find out.
Richard Bell
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:56 am

Anyone tell me what the Sony DCR-SR32E is like please?

Post by Richard Bell »

Aura;1285008 wrote: Hi thanks for that, so I could put my films onto U-Tube if I wanted to? Cash converters are selling it to me at £122 pounds. I have looked at the one's on Amazon but they are expensive. It's not a current model, there is an upgraded version out. Do you think this will do as a first handycam?

I have never owned one before, so it should be interesting to find out.


I'm assuming it's a brand new camera?

If so, that would be a very good price. It would be a reasonable price for a used model in new condition.

Thirty gigs will give you about four hours of high quality recording, much more at lower resolutions. It's a smallish hard drive by today's standards, but still more than adequate. You can get a Memory Stick for it that will substantially increase the capacity, and you could also use it in a Sony digital camera.

It's a very sophisticated camera, but not hard to use. You'll have a lot of fun with it.
Aura
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:23 am

Anyone tell me what the Sony DCR-SR32E is like please?

Post by Aura »

Richard Bell;1285057 wrote: I'm assuming it's a brand new camera?

If so, that would be a very good price. It would be a reasonable price for a used model in new condition.

Thirty gigs will give you about four hours of high quality recording, much more at lower resolutions. It's a smallish hard drive by today's standards, but still more than adequate. You can get a Memory Stick for it that will substantially increase the capacity, and you could also use it in a Sony digital camera.

It's a very sophisticated camera, but not hard to use. You'll have a lot of fun with it.


It's second hand, where can I get a memory stick for it and what size will I need? Can I also used a digital camera SD card? Many thanks.
User avatar
minks
Posts: 26281
Joined: Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:58 pm

Anyone tell me what the Sony DCR-SR32E is like please?

Post by minks »

I personally would never buy anything sony as all the "peripherals" add ons, attachments etc have to be sony too. It's a cash cow kind of product.

As an example,

a common generic battery pack by a common battery mfg. company is not compatible with Sony. If I were in a a country that did not support sony product I would be out of luck.

just my opinion.
�You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.�

― Mae West
Aura
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:23 am

Anyone tell me what the Sony DCR-SR32E is like please?

Post by Aura »

I'm still in two minds whether to get it
Richard Bell
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:56 am

Anyone tell me what the Sony DCR-SR32E is like please?

Post by Richard Bell »

minks;1285246 wrote: I personally would never buy anything sony as all the "peripherals" add ons, attachments etc have to be sony too. It's a cash cow kind of product.

As an example,

a common generic battery pack by a common battery mfg. company is not compatible with Sony. If I were in a a country that did not support sony product I would be out of luck.

just my opinion.


No problems with availability. You can find vendors in dusty Afghan roadside stalls or African bazaars selling Sony product.

Batteries are specific to manufacturers, some are even model specific. There isn't a universal battery that will fit all camcorders. There are, aftermarket companies that sell components designed to fit various brands, and many of them manufacture items that will work on a Sony, including batteries and the Memory Stick. Sony is the only company that uses a Memory Stick.It would have made more sense if they had used an SD card like almost everybody else, but at least you can get other brands.

I like most Sony products, but I don't have a lot of love for the company, after their DRM fiasco of a few years ago, when their CDs secretly installed a program on the user's computer, relaying data back to Sony, opening up a portal for viruses,malware, and trojans, and generally just buggering up things.

They were taken to court over it, and took a beating. Still, they do make good products, so I don't have a problem selling their stuff.
Aura
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:23 am

Anyone tell me what the Sony DCR-SR32E is like please?

Post by Aura »

Can this camera take a SD card? I have a spare one in the draw for my digital camera, which is 2GB's.
Richard Bell
Posts: 1228
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2005 8:56 am

Anyone tell me what the Sony DCR-SR32E is like please?

Post by Richard Bell »

Aura;1285387 wrote: Can this camera take a SD card? I have a spare one in the draw for my digital camera, which is 2GB's.


No.

Sony likes to "go their own way", which has resulted in such misfires as the ElCaset, Betamax, and Digital Mini Discs.

They use a Memory Stick, which functions exactly like an SD card, but it's an entirely different shape and size.

You can get Memory Sticks from other manufacturers, such as SanDisk and Kingston. These cost less than a Sony made Memory Stick, which usually costs more than an SD card. Still, even a Sony Memory Stick isn't that expensive.

Attached files
Aura
Posts: 412
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2005 6:23 am

Anyone tell me what the Sony DCR-SR32E is like please?

Post by Aura »

Do these cards enable more filming time?

Return to “Electronic Gadgets Galore”