Any teachers in the Garden? Opinions on teacher gifts...

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
Erinna1112

Post by Erinna1112 »

Ok, I don't want to give my son's teachers yet another apple paperweight. I have a gift-giving philosophy of giving things that don't contribute to other people's clutter...IMO, most people have enough "stuff." So, I give things like theater tickets, movie passes, homemade food - that sort of thing.

My son is eleven, in the sixth grade, and has six people to whom he would like to give gifts. I had the idea of giving a jar of homemade cocoa mix, a bag of homemade marshmallows, and a tin of Three-Chocolate Spiced Pecan bark to each of them. These things are easy and inexpensive to make, and one recipe of each will make enough for all six.

My question is this, to the teachers out there - does this sound like something you'd like, or do you really truly want yet another apple-shaped paperweight?
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

I swear by my life - and my love of it - that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine. ~Ayn Rand

If you're not outraged, you're not paying attention.

A*M*E*N!
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

I teach 6th graders, and I think you have great ideas for gifts. I think every teacher appreciates anything they get in remembrance for the holiday season.

My paperweights are lab instruments anyway.............LOL
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

I had a friend who was a teacher. She said she , personally, most appreciated gift certificates from stores that sold office or classroom supplies, since many teachers paid for thier own supplies out of thier pockets..
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Ha...

I remember giving my 5th grade teacher a gift one time...

I made a lamp out of a bottle.

All I needed was the cord, a light bulb socket and , obviously a light bulb:confused: ,and a lamp shade...

It was made out of a Jack Daniels bottle.

:yh_rotfl
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah: Oh my gosh, K!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

chonsigirl;469931 wrote: :wah: Oh my gosh, K!

:yh_sungla
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

:wah: You would be one tricky student to have in my science labs!
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

chonsigirl;469936 wrote: :wah: You would be one tricky student to have in my science labs!

My teachers loved to hate me. :yh_kiss
chonsigirl

Post by chonsigirl »

Ha-you were probably their favorite! We always like the mischieveous ones!

Or the comedians-ghads-one kid last year, was a natural stand up comic. Any time I caught him in mischief, his one line zingers were so hard not to laugh at! It was hard to keep a straight face to deal out the consequence...........:wah:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

chonsigirl;469943 wrote: Ha-you were probably their favorite! We always like the mischieveous ones!

Or the comedians-ghads-one kid last year, was a natural stand up comic. Any time I caught him in mischief, his one line zingers were so hard not to laugh at! It was hard to keep a straight face to deal out the consequence...........:wah:

That was me...Only I never meant to get into mischief,..it rather seemed to follow me around.
mominiowa

Post by mominiowa »

When working with my true degree-- I am a interpreter for the hearing impaired...I have received everything from ornaments to paper weights...ti gift certs. to resturants...Teachers love gift cards from stores that have supplies as they have mentioned..... BUT I have 4 kids and can never afford to much---so I make a potpourri(Christmas Cinnamon) basket with a string of lights in it--when it lights up - it smells AWESOME! My daughter had a male teacher last year and we did a couple movie passes and a couple boxes of candy in a basket..He loved the idea--Told me it was unique and thoughtful...:D

~~The Family~~

Happiness is knowing where you come from...

Who you are...

And why you are here.....
Rapunzel

Post by Rapunzel »

Last year I gave my daughters teacher a 'relaxation' box with bath pearls and scented candles, matching scented soap and talc and a cool gel eye-mask. It was all little things, looked very pretty and wasn't too expensive. You could do the same yourself at the Body Shop as they usually sell little baskets that you can fill with nice smellies. Their peppermint foot lotion is lovely and the teacher would probably appreciate it after spending all day on her feet! :)
Imladris

Post by Imladris »

My darling daughter one year gave her male teacher a thank you present with a card worded -

Dear Mr Clements, thank you for being my teacher this year, from Becky P.s my mum loves you.

Well, he is dishy!! (she'd gone to so much effort making the card that I couldn't stop her from giving it to him!!)
Originally Posted by spot

She is one fit bitch innit, that Immy

Don't worry; it only seems kinky the first time
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

K.Snyder;469920 wrote: Ha...

It was made out of a Jack Daniels bottle.

:yh_rotfl

Empty or still full? If empty, who emptied it??:sneaky:
K.Snyder

Post by K.Snyder »

Marie5656;470307 wrote: Empty or still full? If empty, who emptied it??:sneaky:

Ha, probably my brother...all though I had my first shot of whiskey(Wasn't really a shot, because I drank it straight from the bottle) when I was about 9...It was Jim Beam...I loved it. My brothers friends thought I was going to say it was disgusting or something, but I wanted to take another swig...:wah: ;) ... and I did...:yh_sungla
ACCADUE

Post by ACCADUE »

as far as I know, here we have the habit to make a present to the teacher and the end of the school year, that is in june.

Generally, all the families student of the class put together an amount and buy a good present, which may also be a golden necklace or earrings..

Return to “Holidays”