*Your Holiday Traditions*

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
lady cop

Post by lady cop »

what do you do that's special to you this time of year?.... that is very meaningful, be it food or decorations or something in your heritage? ...for me, it's always been my Christmas village, a re-creation of Victorian London and 'a Christmas Carol' . i have a huge collection by dept.56 called Dickens village, been adding to it for years. it's perfectly beautiful. the buildings are lit from within, it's enchanting. lots of people and horses and vendors and trees and all the characters from the story. :)

Post by 911 »

At the office, we pick several families and Santa Claus them to death! OK, not to death, but pretty close. I used to decorate dozens of teddy bears by making their clothes and hats and purses, etc. But now, I just load up on Barbies and Matchbox cars and give them instead.

I think every girl should have at least one Barbie in her lifetime.

I got to go on the Santa "sleigh" one year and it was a blast! We played Jingle Bells on the air horn of the trucks. It was a little flat but it had spirit! :yh_star

Those kids are just thankful for most anything and they laugh and smile and it makes me happy for the generous people in our community. (SNIFF! just ignore me, sentimental old fool I am).
When choosing between two evils, I always like to take the one I've never tried before.

Mae West
Marie5656

Post by Marie5656 »

For many years, my cousin and his wife hosted a Christmas open house at thier place. Lots of family, good food..fireplace. Thier reasoning was, they had no children, and it was easy for them to take the time to prep everything and get thier house ready for the influx of family.

They always had a buffet meal, never let folks bring any thing to pass. Then at the end of the evening, there was always a group around the dining room table playing eucre. They have since moved to Florida, so this will me the third no open house year...but it was fun while it lasted.

I have mentioned before that I do not decorate, but usually on Christmas Eve, my husband and I will drive around looking at the Christmas lights. Then come home and he makes egg nog from scratch.
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

I decorate that little wood house my husband made for me years ago. The only place we can see snow here in Southeast Georgia.

Attached files
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
Lulu2

Post by Lulu2 »

Because I'm not Christian and, by the time the BIG DAY gets here, I'm suffering from severe overdose of MEDIA HYPE....I like to rent a bunch of movies, close the blinds, get a lot of good Chinese take-away, invite over some like-minded friends and hide from the world!

Gloriously satisfying!
My candle's burning at both ends, it will not last the night. But ah, my foes, and oh, my friends--It gives a lovely light!--Edna St. Vincent Millay
Tater Tazz

Post by Tater Tazz »

one of the holiday traditions i enjoy most is spending time with my family. being from a big family, we do not get together much anymore. so we all try to see each other just once a year and that usually is christmas. theres usually fighting between each other but in the end its a wonderful day.l:-6
insanity_clause

Post by insanity_clause »

Lulu2;475578 wrote: Because I'm not Christian and, by the time the BIG DAY gets here, I'm suffering from severe overdose of MEDIA HYPE....I like to rent a bunch of movies, close the blinds, get a lot of good Chinese take-away, invite over some like-minded friends and hide from the world!

Gloriously satisfying!
that sounds the best xmas yet.
AussiePam

Post by AussiePam »

I love Christmas. I'm a real sook, love the lights, the carols, the incense at Midnight Mass, the kids all excited, the smell of fir tree, gardenias, pressies, family.

My own personal tradition though is to stay the heck out of any enclosed shopping space - like all malls etc - between the end of November and when the schools go back in February. That way, I do not absolutely need to kill and/or maim anyone...
"Life is too short to ski with ugly men"

Return to “Holidays”