Christmas at the White House

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
Odie

Post by Odie »

Must just cost under a fortune each year to do a Christmas like this:

every room, although not shown, has decorations galore and a Christmas tree.

next Christmas will be Obama's turn.

http://z.about.com/d/dc/1/0/Q/J/CrossHall_0895.jpg
Life is just to short for drama.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

I hope they are using last years decorations. Got tons of them myself.
Oscar Namechange

Post by Oscar Namechange »

Odie;1050505 wrote: Must just cost under a fortune each year to do a Christmas like this:

every room, although not shown, has decorations galore and a Christmas tree.

next Christmas will be Obama's turn.

http://z.about.com/d/dc/1/0/Q/J/CrossHall_0895.jpg

Don't worry Odie.. Muslims don't celebrate Christmas or Thanksgiving. Just the New Year :wah:

I remember when i was a little kid, Jackie kennedy showed a tv crew around the Whitehouse. I was fascinated that Kennedy had his own dentist surgery in there.

I thought it odd that my mum had to take me miles to our dentist and Kennedy could just pop into his own in his house. But then, i was only a small child. I also thought Jackie Kennedy was the Queen of America. :wah:

I love a real spruce tree, just the smell alone is fanatstic. This year we will very sadly have to give it a miss. Young puppie's and dangling tree lights and ornaments are not a good combination.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

When our first one was a baby we had a small tree set up on the table. Yeah, I was the paranoid first time mom:wah: The thing fell over and then we went out and bought a bigger one. Haven't looked back.
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1050550 wrote: When our first one was a baby we had a small tree set up on the table. Yeah, I was the paranoid first time mom:wah: The thing fell over and then we went out and bought a bigger one. Haven't looked back.

I usually have a big one, ceiling hieght but i can really see puppy climbing it this year. I also totally forgot that 'Oscar' our persian who was a rescue is also having his first Christmas in the 'Oscar' household. I have no idea how he will re-act to a tree but he does like to explore.

When i first married, i had a beagle, a rescue dog. We slipped out for a few hours christmas eve to the local pub. I will never forget it, we came home to a nightmare. She had toppled the whole tree which had swept ornaments and the stero onto the floor. the fairy lights had fused and the carpet was scorched. And all the blody chocolate was gone :wah::wah:
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

Yes, we had a cat once long ago that got into the tree. Had to tie the tree to the corner of the room.:wah:
Oscar Namechange

qsducks;1050574 wrote: Yes, we had a cat once long ago that got into the tree. Had to tie the tree to the corner of the room.:wah:

Now that's a brilliant idea.. I never thought of that :-6:-6

Do you suppose Obama will have a man servant to dress his tree or will he be climbing the ladder himself??

I bet his little girls will be so excited.
Odie

Post by Odie »

oscar;1050547 wrote: Don't worry Odie.. Muslims don't celebrate Christmas or Thanksgiving. Just the New Year :wah:

I remember when i was a little kid, Jackie kennedy showed a tv crew around the Whitehouse. I was fascinated that Kennedy had his own dentist surgery in there.

I thought it odd that my mum had to take me miles to our dentist and Kennedy could just pop into his own in his house. But then, i was only a small child. I also thought Jackie Kennedy was the Queen of America. :wah:

I love a real spruce tree, just the smell alone is fanatstic. This year we will very sadly have to give it a miss. Young puppie's and dangling tree lights and ornaments are not a good combination.

el president gets what he wants for Christmas!-way to much is spent, only one small reason the US is in the hole for cash.

tis hard for us with 4 cats also, to have a tree up!:-5

and if you put up a tree, never use tinsel or garlands....they swallow it...and it gets stuck in their stomachs/intestines.....some die from this.

or anything that can dangle.
qsducks

Post by qsducks »

oscar;1050598 wrote: Now that's a brilliant idea.. I never thought of that :-6:-6

Do you suppose Obama will have a man servant to dress his tree or will he be climbing the ladder himself??

I bet his little girls will be so excited.

You are so bad:wah:. We actually cut ours down out in some remote field far from here. And I recycle the tree to the back yard for the birds and wildlife to live in. The thing didn't go brown till March of last year and is now covered in squash/pumpkin brush.
TheNewDG

Post by TheNewDG »

The White Hosue CHristmas is decorated with fresh flowers and greenery every year. Also, you can watch it on HGTV. Its really beautiful and does costs a fortune.

Did you also know that everytime the presidency changes the new first lady gets to re-decorate the entire White House. I bet that costs much much more. And who pays for that??
TheNewDG

Post by TheNewDG »

Here is the link with airtimes for USA people. It is so beautiful what they do! I love the green room with the cranberry trees. Thats my favorite.

Shows A - Z : TV Specials : White House Christmas 2008 : Home & Garden Television
Odie

Post by Odie »

TheNewDG;1050747 wrote: The White Hosue CHristmas is decorated with fresh flowers and greenery every year. Also, you can watch it on HGTV. Its really beautiful and does costs a fortune.

Did you also know that everytime the presidency changes the new first lady gets to re-decorate the entire White House. I bet that costs much much more. And who pays for that??

yes I knew all of this also, and who does pay?
TheNewDG

Post by TheNewDG »

Odie;1050803 wrote: yes I knew all of this also, and who does pay?

I just found out about it an old issue of Architectural Digest I was reading. I bet that is not cheap. I have no idea but I am guessing there is a "fund". I can see keeping it updated but your talking redecorating every 4-8 years!

WOW!
Odie

Post by Odie »

TheNewDG;1050807 wrote: I just found out about it an old issue of Architectural Digest I was reading. I bet that is not cheap. I have no idea but I am guessing there is a "fund". I can see keeping it updated but your talking redecorating every 4-8 years!

WOW!

-We have 2 different homes dressed up outside for Christimas every year here, and we deposit towards their electricity bill and just the fun we had in seeing such spectular displays that we all enjoy so much.......they have music playing and its on a radio station, so if its cold, you can stay in your car and hear it, and its all programmed to the lights blinking.

maybe some pay to see the white house!:wah:
TheNewDG

Post by TheNewDG »

Odie;1050945 wrote: -We have 2 different homes dressed up outside for Christimas every year here, and we deposit towards their electricity bill and just the fun we had in seeing such spectular displays that we all enjoy so much.......they have music playing and its on a radio station, so if its cold, you can stay in your car and hear it, and its all programmed to the lights blinking.

maybe some pay to see the white house!:wah:

That sounds awesome!!!! Its not the one with the light show synchronized to rock is it???? That one was all over the internet a couple years ago...
Odie

Post by Odie »

TheNewDG;1050949 wrote: That sounds awesome!!!! Its not the one with the light show synchronized to rock is it???? That one was all over the internet a couple years ago...

yes, that is one of them, ya gotta be there to believe it!

the combination of all the thousands of lights and the music beating along to it is a must-see every year..and just the fact you can sit in your car windows up and listen to it on the radio........brilliant!

This one is in Newmarket, 15 min drive for us, we had just seen it last year........the video does not show it justice.

YouTube - Amazing Xmas Lights Set to Music
along-for-the-ride

Post by along-for-the-ride »

TheNewDG;1050807 wrote: I just found out about it an old issue of Architectural Digest I was reading. I bet that is not cheap. I have no idea but I am guessing there is a "fund". I can see keeping it updated but your talking redecorating every 4-8 years!

WOW!

I believe the fund is provided by us, the taxpayers. The White House does indeed look festive at Christmas time.
Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.

Return to “Holidays”