“Holiday Jubilee! You got it or not?

The Holiday Forum. Post about upcoming holidays.
User avatar
Lady J
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:08 pm

“Holiday Jubilee! You got it or not?

Post by Lady J »

There are millions of people worldwide who will celebrate the upcoming holidays with family, friends, feasts and drinks….gift giving/receiving and hug sharing, twinkling lights and the magic of Christmas.



Yet on the other hand there are those who will share it with no one. No gifts under a trimmed tree, no bountiful meals, no warm hugs of love, no gifts to cherish…..

I would say most here will have a blessed holiday with full bellies, warmth and love; which is a very good thing!

The one thing about the holidays I have noticed is that people ‘become’ nice, kind and thoughtful at this time of year. They say thank you and please and offer their help to those with less. I think it should be Christmas year round.

I’m not sure where I am going with this post but it started out about wanting to ask how you celebrated your holidays and quickly took a turn that must be coming from my subconscious for those less fortunate.

So in trying to re-direct it…..how do you celebrate the holidays?



I have to ask……If you could have one Christmas wish what would it be?”

User avatar
FourPart
Posts: 6415
Joined: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:12 am

“Holiday Jubilee! You got it or not?

Post by FourPart »

Spot on. I've always hated Xmas. It's not just a matter that everyone else is living it up with their families & loved ones, etc., but knowing that I don't have a family, as such, with which to share it is something I find doubly depressing. It is for this reason that I volunteered to man the office on the Skeleton Crew over the Xmas period. Fortunately my colleague, Vanessa feels the same way & finds her family smothering & welcomes the opportunity to get away from it all.

Instead of offering the standard 21 days paid holiday per annum, our company gives 28 - 7 of which are for the Xmas period. Normally the rules are that only 3 leave days may be taken across into the New Year, or they'll be lost. Having only started with them at the end of September, though, I only have 7 days accrued, so they've made an exception for me & allowed me to carry over 4. I'll be working 27th, 28th, 29th & 30th & taking off the 22nd, 23rd & 24th, which suites me fine, as it fits in quite nicely with a couple of the choir's events that week which I would otherwise have had to miss.

The one thing I doo always look forward to, though, are the Annual Christmas Lectures frm the Royal Institution. I haven't missed a lecture ever since the first one I saw in 1974, presented by Prof. Eric Laithwaite (the inventor of the Linear Motor, amongst other things). I even have most of them downloaded - including the first ever televised one, with the young David Attenborough, in 1973. Well worth getting into (especially for the kids, which is the target audience it's primarily meant for). The lectures generally consist of 3 - 5 lectures throughout the week, with each one being about 45 mins to an hour long & always on a common theme.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

“Holiday Jubilee! You got it or not?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

For the past few years we have sent out a shoe box to Africa.



I also buy small gifts for the elderly, alone In my Immediate neighbourhood.

I'd like all poor children to have something and all the lonely elderly but the truth Is, we can't do that for everyone In the world. We can only do a little bit and pray that others do the same.

I think as I've got older, I am very much more aware of poverty and the miserable time some have at Christmas. Yet, as I do enjoy family, friends, colleagues, good food, drink and nice gifts, It makes me realise how selfish the world has become and If anything, I now think about how blessed I am having so much when others have so little.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
along-for-the-ride
Posts: 11732
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 4:28 pm

“Holiday Jubilee! You got it or not?

Post by along-for-the-ride »

The Story Behind "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"

And in despair I bowed my head;

"There is no peace on earth," I said;

"For hate is strong,

And mocks the song

Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"



Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:

"God is not dead; nor doth he sleep!

The Wrong shall fail,

The Right prevail,

With peace on earth, good-will to men!"

Life is a Highway. Let's share the Commute.
User avatar
Oscar Namechange
Posts: 31842
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:26 am

“Holiday Jubilee! You got it or not?

Post by Oscar Namechange »

That's lovely D
At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them. R.L. Binyon
User avatar
Saint_
Posts: 3302
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:05 pm
Location: The Four Corners

“Holiday Jubilee! You got it or not?

Post by Saint_ »

FourPart;1468640 wrote: Spot on. I've always hated Xmas. It's not just a matter that everyone else is living it up with their families & loved ones, etc., but knowing that I don't have a family, as such, with which to share it is something I find doubly depressing.


Ebeneezer FourPart.

But seriously, I spent over a decade on my own and I completely understand the "left out" feeling of being alone at Christmastime. As a matter of fact, after so many years on my own, I was well on my way to becoming a misanthropic and misery recluse bachelor when I was 34 and met my girl.

For the last twenty one years, however, I've had a wife and family and I've grown to love this time of year. In my classroom, I used a geometry lesson on nets to have the kids create polyhedron decorations for my classroom Christmas tree. I put out my lights yesterday, and I'm wearing a Santa Claus hat right now.

So in many ways, the story of Ebeneezer Scrooge is my story too.

"Many laughed to see this alteration in him, but he let them laugh and little heeded them, for he knew that no good thing in this world ever happened, at which some did not have their fill of laughter. His own heart laughed and that was quite enough for him. And it was always said of him that he knew how to keep Christmas well if any man alive possessed the knowledge."
User avatar
Lady J
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:08 pm

“Holiday Jubilee! You got it or not?

Post by Lady J »

along-for-the-ride;1468992 wrote: The Story Behind "I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day"

And in despair I bowed my head;

"There is no peace on earth," I said;

"For hate is strong,

And mocks the song

Of peace on earth, good-will to men!"



Then pealed the bells more loud and deep:

"God is not dead; nor doth he sleep!

The Wrong shall fail,

The Right prevail,

With peace on earth, good-will to men!"




Great video AFTR.....Merry Christmas! Thank you for sharing....And may we all learn the season of giving.
User avatar
Lady J
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:08 pm

“Holiday Jubilee! You got it or not?

Post by Lady J »

Saint_;1469012 wrote: Ebeneezer FourPart.

But seriously, I spent over a decade on my own and I completely understand the "left out" feeling of being alone at Christmastime. As a matter of fact, after so many years on my own, I was well on my way to becoming a misanthropic and misery recluse bachelor when I was 34 and met my girl.

For the last twenty one years, however, I've had a wife and family and I've grown to love this time of year. In my classroom, I used a geometry lesson on nets to have the kids create polyhedron decorations for my classroom Christmas tree. I put out my lights yesterday, and I'm wearing a Santa Claus hat right now.

So in many ways, the story of Ebeneezer Scrooge is my story too.

"Many laughed to see this alteration in him, but he let them laugh and little heeded them, for he knew that no good thing in this world ever happened, at which some did not have their fill of laughter. His own heart laughed and that was quite enough for him. And it was always said of him that he knew how to keep Christmas well if any man alive possessed the knowledge."


Saint....all I can say is Merry Christmas to You and family! I envy You....but that is in a loving way! :guitarist
User avatar
Lady J
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:08 pm

“Holiday Jubilee! You got it or not?

Post by Lady J »

Happy Holidays to All! Merry Christmas as well!

I started this post asking how you celebrated your holidays and since this site spans many different continents I thought it would be interesting to learn what you do for the holidays...what you server for feast and drink.

FourPart...I don't want you to think I did not read your post...I did and can appreciate it more than you may know. I work the holiday but it is still a time to celebrate...why not?:-6
dkmonline
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 11:17 pm

“Holiday Jubilee! You got it or not?

Post by dkmonline »

i enjoy lot.if i get holiday..

Return to “Holidays”