Should we give our kids a mobile?

A forum to discuss local issues in Ireland.
capt_buzzard

Post by capt_buzzard »

The latest health warning scare about young children having mobile phones has parents caught between a rock and a hard place. Do you give children a mobile in case they need to contact you in an emergency? Or do you take it off them for safety reasons in case it is doing them radiation damage?

The most recent alarm bells on children using mobile phones came just before Christmas when an authoritative British report linked heavy mobile phone use to possible ear tumours and concluded that risks had been underestimated by most scientists.
smithy87

Post by smithy87 »

I'm afraid definate safety comes before possible this and possible that.

My daughter was followed by a guy in a car whilst walking home from school. Obviously freaked out, she rang me at work and became hysterical on the phone. My workplace is a 3 minute drive from her school, so I was able to stay on the phone to her and tell her what to do until I reached her. The guy had drove off before I got to her and I searched for him afterwards, but I couldn't find him. That week in out local paper there was an article about it, the same car had been spotted near other schools and they were asking you to be alert.

I make sure both my kids have mobiles and they have always got enough money on them. You just never know....

Return to “Ireland”